Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just updated 1Password and I'm still using OS X El Capitan (because I'm going out of town tomorrow for work and need my laptop working so I don't wanna mess with it until later) and now my two factor authentication doesn't work. I just checked and the two factor codes that 1Password OS X gives me and 1Password iOS gives me are totally different, with only the iOS versions working.

What' gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Wild EEPROM posted:

I have the latest js killers, I've tried youtube.js and youtubeXHR.js as well.

What other extensions are you using?
I used to use youtubecenter to force aggressive flash, then ctp would replace the player.

if I have nothing else on, and safari blocking add-ons (that is, flash), it just blackscreens.
If I have youtubecenter with aggressive flash, I get the flash player
If I have nothing else on and safari enabling add-ons (that is, flash), I get the flash player

Also tried adblock on, adblock with ctp compatability on, and off, and adblock off, doesn't make a difference between ctp compatibility on / adblock off. adblock on / ctp compatibility off means black screen.

I have YoutubeWide, LastPass, SoundCloud Downloader, Ghostery, Synology Downlaoder, and ClickToPlugin. I have "Allow plug-ins" checked in my prefs.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

I have the latest js killers, I've tried youtube.js and youtubeXHR.js as well.

What other extensions are you using?
I used to use youtubecenter to force aggressive flash, then ctp would replace the player.

if I have nothing else on, and safari blocking add-ons (that is, flash), it just blackscreens.
If I have youtubecenter with aggressive flash, I get the flash player
If I have nothing else on and safari enabling add-ons (that is, flash), I get the flash player

Also tried adblock on, adblock with ctp compatability on, and off, and adblock off, doesn't make a difference between ctp compatibility on / adblock off. adblock on / ctp compatibility off means black screen.

Be sure to add the complete direct URL to the new YouTube.js: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoyois/plugin-to-html5/master/YouTube.js ... and also delete the existing killers/YouTube.js line. Doing those two things fixed it for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh god the new Safari's ""Search with Google" finally opens in a new tab, thank stebe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Oh god the new Safari's ""Search with Google" finally opens in a new tab, thank stebe.

Oh my god.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just updated 1Password and I'm still using OS X El Capitan (because I'm going out of town tomorrow for work and need my laptop working so I don't wanna mess with it until later) and now my two factor authentication doesn't work. I just checked and the two factor codes that 1Password OS X gives me and 1Password iOS gives me are totally different, with only the iOS versions working.

What' gives?
Make sure your Mac's time and date are correct and match your phone's. How are the apps synced?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

FCKGW posted:

Whoa, I didn't even notice because I was already in the habit of cmd+clicking.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

vtlock posted:

Be sure to add the complete direct URL to the new YouTube.js: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoyois/plugin-to-html5/master/YouTube.js ... and also delete the existing killers/YouTube.js line. Doing those two things fixed it for me.

Tried that and the above, still nothing :\

Using youtube without ctp is pretty painful.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
[e] Nevermind. I has the dumbs.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 26, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

[e] Nevermind. I has the dumbs.

Welcome to the Mac threads!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Turns out my kerberos woes were down to Sierra deprecating one of the options in my krb5.conf. Can I find out which one? Can I bollocks. I just recreated it without the crap I had in to talk to ten-year-old Linux servers and it's working fine now.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy, or did clicking an app icon in Mission Control bring up all the windows for that app before Sierra?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did you have hyperdock?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, just a plain old Dock, Mission Control and Finder on El Cap.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

fleshweasel posted:

Am I crazy, or did clicking an app icon in Mission Control bring up all the windows for that app before Sierra?
There's an "app specific expose" function, but I'm not exactly sure how to trigger it without using other software.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Four fingers swipe down for me but I think i specified that. The window has to be active, obviously.

Otherwise it's ctrl+f3.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How the hell did Dashboard survive for another major macOS/OS X release?

For years it was just "that thing with the iStat widget" for me, and even that was obsoleted by things like MenuMeters or iStat Menus.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

but but but weather, calculator, world clocks, sticky notes without opening up Notes.app, and iStat!

I use Dashboard a lot. Well, actually, these days I just yell "hey Siri what's the weather" in the general direction of my phone and "hey Siri remind me to feed the cats in 2 hours", but for quickly jotting down phone numbers people give me, seeing what the time is in Auckland, it's pretty handy! I like Dashboard I hope it stays.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's extra weird because most if not all the uses for dashboard was replaced by the Notification Center

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

Have you ever used OS X with an SSD? You might re-think your 'nice and quick' assessment then.

Honestly, it MIGHT be a configuration issue. Try repairing permissions (that is still a thing we do, right guys?). Check Console.app to see if Office apps are spewing any kind of errors when they're starting up.

But my friend has a platter drive and Office 2016 and it's slow as gently caress for her whereas it's instant for me, so I really think that's the main difference. It probably loads lots of small files which means a lot of seeking.

I disassembled my iMac to try out some 16GB DIMMs. Great news! The 2013 iMac supports 16GB DIMMs. Bad news: OS X doesn't recognize TWO 16GB DIMMs at the same time. During the endeavor, I threw in a 1GB SSD because I, of course, had to take out all of the things so it seemed an opportune time.

I was wrong, Pivo. So wrong. Hold me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember spending some sweet time setting up my dashboard in 2005. I think that was the last time I purposely looked at it. I thought it was long gone?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arsten posted:

I was wrong, Pivo. So wrong. Hold me.

It's alright bby. I'm here. Always. Seeing the light of the SSD is something that only happens once. I was glad to be part of this experience.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember spending some sweet time setting up my dashboard in 2005. I think that was the last time I purposely looked at it. I thought it was long gone?

It's on its way out. A lot of widgets that relied on online APIs have stopped working over the years or stopped getting updates. Even Apple's own weather widget sometimes doesn't update for days. You can bind a key to the Notification Centre same way you can bind a key to Dashboard, and it has widgets, and those actually work... I still like Dashboard, but no, it hasn't been getting a lot of love. I wouldn't expect it to stick around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean look at the webpage for it. No Retina assets, Aqua design, etc. https://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

I don't think Dashboard has been mentioned in a keynote since Snow Leopard. It should have officially died when the button was removed from new keyboards a few years ago.

I'm not upset and if you use Dashboard then keep on keeping on. I'm just completely baffled at its continued existence and it's almost a bad look for Apple to have it dying on the vine like it is.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 28, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm just genuinely surprised I haven't accidentally swiped to it in forever.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I wish launchpad would die

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ha I think I disabled it back in mavericks using terminal and haven't seen it since.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pivo posted:

It's alright bby. I'm here. Always. Seeing the light of the SSD is something that only happens once. I was glad to be part of this experience.

The contrast is way more apparent than Windows. I wonder why that is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Milkman posted:

It's extra weird because most if not all the uses for dashboard was replaced by the Notification Center

.. which I also forget exists until I accidentally swipe into it while trying to switch desktops.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a 2012 (?) Mac Mini that I want to set up for my computer illiterate mom to replace her existing frankenstein linux setup I threw together in attempts to make her see as little of the OS as possible.

What's the best way to do this? Should I create an AppleID for her or continue to use mine? If I create an AppleID for her, would that hinder me in any way from being able to troubleshoot her machine remotely? I'd prefer she didn't have ready access to my iCloud Drive/etc in case she manages to find it in Finder and drag stuff around but I can just disable that in iCloud preferences. Just wondering if I'm missing anything obvious. I've never been able to get Back to my Mac working properly but I have a VPN to their house so I can just enable VNC screen sharing and troubleshoot her problems that way I guess, so I answered one of my problems. She has a tendency to try to change and then forget passwords so I guess I'd like my AppleID to be able to reset her password, etc.

I've never really researched that much into family sharing or what AppleIDs tied to accounts/machines can do since I've only ever really worried about my own machines. Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm just genuinely surprised I haven't accidentally swiped to it in forever.

I think it got removed from Spaces by default at some point? I remember going in and manually turning it back on, until realizing I wasn't actually using it.

Martytoof posted:

.. which I also forget exists until I accidentally swipe into it while trying to switch desktops.

I use it on iOS quite a bit, especially now with 10. But yeah it's less vital on Mac. I use it for peeking at my calendar, and when I want to use a mouse based calculator (spotlight is better for typing it out). I've got iStat in there too; mostly out of nostalgia for when system stats were a thing and I cared about them

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Milkman posted:

I think it got removed from Spaces by default at some point? I remember going in and manually turning it back on, until realizing I wasn't actually using it.
Yeah on a clean install Dashboard now longer has a dedicated Space at boot/login. If you've done upgrade installs then you might still have it lingering there. I think if you launch it once on a clean install it sets itself up in a Space again too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way I can rebind F4 to do something useful like open Notification centre or is it stuck to Launchpad

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

idk I haven't done a clean install since Tiger I think and I don't have Dashboard as one of my spaces, it's bound to F12, you can do the same to Notification Centre, I think it's under Keyboard in system prefs but you can probably just google the question.

But 100% dashboard is not in my spaces. Desktop 1, Desktop 2, and any full-screen apps, but not Dashboard.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 28, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

idk I haven't done a clean install since Tiger I think and I don't have Dashboard as one of my spaces
If your install really is upgraded from Tiger then that predates Dashboard as a dedicated Space by default.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If your install really is upgraded from Tiger then that predates Dashboard as a dedicated Space by default.

But wouldn't it have been added as a default Space like these people are claiming, during the upgrade?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

This update is taking forever and the grad students have started beating me in Core Wars and everything is terrible.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

But wouldn't it have been added as a default Space like these people are claiming, during the upgrade?
Upgrade defaults don't tend to override established settings. For example, did you end up with autocorrect enabled after upgrading? Chances are no, but it's enabled by default on clean installations since like Yosemite or something.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Upgrade defaults don't tend to override established settings. For example, did you end up with autocorrect enabled after upgrading? Chances are no, but it's enabled by default on clean installations since like Yosemite or something.

I'm pretty sure I did, yeah. After that upgrade I had to turn off autocorrect and that stupid pop-up when you hold a key down. It came back when I upgraded to Sierra, actually, I had to disable it again. When I upgrade I seem to get all the new bullshit I don't want. Am I unique in that regard? I thought that was Apple's way. They stick stuff in my Dock that I don't want, they enable features that I don't want. Thank the lord they're not flipping my scroll direction.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I keep trying safari but it just randomly hangs on pages. For instance, searching for something in the bar will just sit there with like 1/5 of the progress bar full and nothing happens. Chrome never gives me this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I've encountered a nagging issue after upgrading to the 10.12.1 public beta, and I wondered if anyone else has a solution. Logitech Control Center just updated for Sierra, but the update is causing issues where the computer will straight up lock up and require a restart. Not having LCC installed, though, means some of the keys on my K350 keyboard don't work correctly, or at all. I don't really care about the media keys, but the A key doesn't work and the H and I keys are switched for some reason. It's definitely a software issue, because LCC fixes it (and for whatever reason, it works correctly on the guest account), but that causes the freezing. The older versions seems to invite their own set of issues as well.

I tried USB Overdrive, and it worked for a little, but it seems to stop detecting the keyboard after a couple minutes. Does anybody know of a similar program I can try that might work? I suppose I could re-install El Capitan or create a new user account, but I'm only going to do either of those as a last resort.