Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Keep your eyes on the horizon boys and girls. Around the beginning of December I have some big plans. Big plans with prizes. I haven't fully worked out the plan yet but rest assured that you will all be judged.

I welcome this examination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER

hi everyone

I got name changed so I left my sig as is to avoid confusing anyone

The Titanic

Unsinkable

nvm no cake posted:

they will die if you feed them too much, though. apparently they aren't smart enough to know to stop eating and just eat until they die. found that one out the hard way as a little kid. :(

that's horrible. :(

the person who gave them to me said to feed them around twice a day, and when they're hungry they'll be all up in the corner. this seems to be the case mostly.

I may feed them a little more than twice, but I don't want to starve them or over feed. none have died yet, maybe I'll be ok.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i have face blindness so these name changes always gently caress me with me really badly

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

god it's hard to keep track of these name changes.

just going to assume i don't know anyone. hi luvcow, nice to meet you.

hi how are you ♥

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I just indentify everyone by avatar or sig

FAT32 SHAMER

Ahundredbux posted:

yeah same

so gently caress everyone who changes those things with their name change (unless it's not a joke name change)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

god it's hard to keep track of these name changes.

just going to assume i don't know anyone. hi luvcow, nice to meet you.

who the gently caress are you!? what did you do to gilganixon!?

Music Theory

Ahundredbux posted:

this is why i don't change my name

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Luvcow posted:

who the gently caress are you!? what did you do to gilganixon!?

i killed and became him, naturally

social vegan

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i killed and became him, naturally

holy sh***t you were gilga this whole time welp

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

social vegan posted:

holy sh***t you were gilga this whole time welp

hahaha

hi how are you ♥

social vegan

I honestly never knew this whole time lmbo

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
this is why name changes are like heroin, so dangerous

Matoi Ryuko

HangRoose posted:

what the hell is plantar faciitis and how can i fix it or what is the most efficient way of ignoring it

Plantar faciitis is chronic inflammation of the muscles in the bottom of your foot. It's a real bad and unfun condition to have and you'll just have to keep off of your foot completely for weeks if not months.

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

GoodbyeTurtles

This wasn't directed at anyone in particular, I just wanted to be sure it still existed

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fanky Malloons posted:

Yes do, I need this in my life pls.

sorry I went to bed after I posted that. here's the photo. the day I took it was a slow dog day, so there wasn't much of a line

if I see a big dog line and remember I'll take another photo later.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

mysterious frankie posted:

sorry I went to bed after I posted that. here's the photo. the day I took it was a slow dog day, so there wasn't much of a line

:love:

death sext

haha look at that big muppet dog :kimchi:

I appreciate the truck's invitation. Follow us! To more dogs!

death sext fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 28, 2016

The Titanic

Unsinkable

mysterious frankie posted:

:3:

dog truck.

Facebook Aunt

wiggle wiggle

The Titanic posted:

gold fish. so they are apparently durable. they are significantly larger than I see in the pet shop, but apparently they grow to be fairly large. I didn't know that until these were given to me.

I guess they can get as big as a koi or something?

Yeah, goldfish can live 20 years and get huge. Over a foot long and a couple pounds.

The reason you rarely see them more than a couple inches long is because people accidentally poison them. :( They stick them in a 1 gallon bowl with no filtration, over feed them, and don't change the water often enough, until the fish are literally poisoned by their own poop water. In a wild or low maintenance pond they get by without filtration, but that's because they have like 50 gallons of water per fish, and lots of plants and bugs to eat waste products. They can survive for a couple years in a so called "goldfish bowl" if you do water changes once or twice a week, but they are living on the edge the whole time. When it inevitably dies you can get a new one for like a buck, so there's no incentive to put much effort into keeping them alive.

Sorry to be a downer.

Robot Made of Meat

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Welp it's officially my birthday now,

my wife is super excited and chipper and wants to have lots of fun but this celebration of my birth feels more to me like a reminder of my age and i can't help but have a background feeling of angst

i sort of want to stand in the dark and stare at a field smoking a cigarette or something, i wish it were cold enough for a scarf

maybe i'll eat some crab for lunch in 12 hours

Happy birfday, Ned.

Yeah, getting old is a drag, but it's good that you have a wife who's trying to make it cheery.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

FAT32 SHAMER

goldfish are super gross bottomfeeding fish anyways so while yeah they're kind of neat they're also supremely gross

I had the same six goldfish for 15 years and it was really gross but they did reach about a foot each

every time i think to myself "a fishtank could be a nice addition to my house" i have flashbacks to cleaning their 40gal tank

Big Mean Jerk

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The last time I had a pet fish, my mom accidentally killed him by putting the wrong kind of water in his bowl.

RIP aquaman

social vegan

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Yeah, goldfish can live 20 years and get huge. Over a foot long and a couple pounds.

The reason you rarely see them more than a couple inches long is because people accidentally poison them. :( They stick them in a 1 gallon bowl with no filtration, over feed them, and don't change the water often enough, until the fish are literally poisoned by their own poop water. In a wild or low maintenance pond they get by without filtration, but that's because they have like 50 gallons of water per fish, and lots of plants and bugs to eat waste products. They can survive for a couple years in a so called "goldfish bowl" if you do water changes once or twice a week, but they are living on the edge the whole time. When it inevitably dies you can get a new one for like a buck, so there's no incentive to put much effort into keeping them alive.

Sorry to be a downer.

this

i used to make fishponds with a friends little company and ended up making a few for my parents:

this one is about 12 years old and was actually built as an expansion of one i had made in '98 before i knew what i was doing (i'd used a standard plastic pond tub instead of a liner). we moved the koi and smaller goldfish to the new pond and several of the koi lived for around 14 years before a power outage/hot summer day caused a massive kill off. supposedly koi can live for several hundred years old and they are very smart, ours recognized us and would eat out of our hands.

you can't see it well in this picture but there is an upper and lower pond, the upper (to the back left in the picture) is full of water celery which helps filter out the water before it cascades back into the larger lower pond. the fish live through the winter just fine under the ice as long as you keep the pump going so that the waterfalls keep oxygenating the water and leave a hole in the ice.

The Titanic

Unsinkable

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Sorry to be a downer.

I try to keep their tank clean, and do a good job. I'm not exactly a fish kind of person though so I'm not really into it a lot. I'm a dog girl more than anything, and that's ok in my book.

I'm not sure if the tank I have will be big enough of they get that large. and I don't want to buy a new tank just for big goldfish. they're not like super pretty to begin with.

and yes, they're cheap and kinda just there. I don't think I can get attached to a fish so I'll try not to best myself up if they die.

social vegan

just learned that old virginny is something they call virginia and not just me in high school

The Titanic

Unsinkable

Luvcow posted:

this

i used to make fishponds with a friends little company and ended up making a few for my parents:

this one is about 12 years old and was actually built as an expansion of one i had made in '98 before i knew what i was doing (i'd used a standard plastic pond tub instead of a liner). we moved the koi and smaller goldfish to the new pond and several of the koi lived for around 14 years before a power outage/hot summer day caused a massive kill off. supposedly koi can live for several hundred years old and they are very smart, ours recognized us and would eat out of our hands.

you can't see it well in this picture but there is an upper and lower pond, the upper (to the back left in the picture) is full of water celery which helps filter out the water before it cascades back into the larger lower pond. the fish live through the winter just fine under the ice as long as you keep the pump going so that the waterfalls keep oxygenating the water and leave a hole in the ice.

wow, this is impressive stuff. very pretty too!

I'm equally impressed by the koi. I really had no idea fish could do that. I'm new to the whole owning fish business. my goldfish don't exactly strike me as intelligent though.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

The Titanic posted:

wow, this is impressive stuff. very pretty too!

I'm equally impressed by the koi. I really had no idea fish could do that. I'm new to the whole owning fish business. my goldfish don't exactly strike me as intelligent though.

goldfish are really cool. they will stunt their growth according to their tank size. people will tell you that they shouldn't have live plants in their tank because they will root them up and eat them but that's exactly why you should do it. look into buying java ferns, java moss and amazon swords for plant life and if you need some little scavengers that might also become food for your fish get some ghost shrimp.

The Titanic

Unsinkable

funny Star Wars parody posted:

goldfish are super gross bottomfeeding fish anyways so while yeah they're kind of neat they're also supremely gross

I had the same six goldfish for 15 years and it was really gross but they did reach about a foot each

every time i think to myself "a fishtank could be a nice addition to my house" i have flashbacks to cleaning their 40gal tank

I am in your old shoes apparently.

cleaning the tank is a real chore and yucky. the fish and tank were given to me though, so I guess it's kind of experimental. I'm doing my best to like them and keep them healthy! :coolfish:

Palisader

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

The Titanic posted:

I try to keep their tank clean, and do a good job. I'm not exactly a fish kind of person though so I'm not really into it a lot. I'm a dog girl more than anything, and that's ok in my book.

I'm not sure if the tank I have will be big enough of they get that large. and I don't want to buy a new tank just for big goldfish. they're not like super pretty to begin with.

and yes, they're cheap and kinda just there. I don't think I can get attached to a fish so I'll try not to best myself up if they die.

Post dog pics pls

Palisader

Fish are cool as heck but are definitely not easy to care for, especially since you can't get cuddle out of them. On a similar note, my mom bought my daughter some hermit crabs last year thinking that they only live a few weeks. Turns out they can live up to 10 years thanks mom!! We had to build a big old terrarium for em because I don't like killing things through neglect or mistreatment. Or, you know, at all.

They had a big hermit crab rumble recently and 2 are dead, one is hibernating after presumably murdering his fellow crabs and the last is just MIA

FAT32 SHAMER

Palisader posted:

Post dog pics pls

here i gotchu covered

rascal and me chilling on the porch

my brother's gf holding a v enthusiastic rascal

chillin

camera shy chillin

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

here i gotchu covered

chillin

camera shy chillin

very cool dog

Palisader

here i gotchu covered

chillin

camera shy chillin

Your pupper is huge!

FAT32 SHAMER

Palisader posted:

Your pupper is huge!

he's only 60lbs! she's just tiny

Facebook Aunt

wiggle wiggle

The Titanic posted:

I am in your old shoes apparently.

cleaning the tank is a real chore and yucky. the fish and tank were given to me though, so I guess it's kind of experimental. I'm doing my best to like them and keep them healthy! :coolfish:

If you don't mind dropping a few bucks, one of these will make your life a billion times easier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NXC/ref=psdc_3048856011_t1_B000255NXM
You hook it up to your sink, it sucks out some of the dirty water, you turn the switch and it pours in fresh water. Goldfish aren't a particularly delicate fish, so it's fine to use water right out of the tap for them and add the dechlorinator to the tank. So much easier than buckets.

If you do use buckets don't just throw the fish water down the drain, use it to water your houseplants or garden. The dissolved fish poop in the water is a nice mild fertilizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Yo Social V,

Great minds think alike. :cheers:

Love,
Misty Mountaintop, Esq. (food court bar)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!