Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This looks really cool if it works, but the backend network connectivity has me skeptical. What does it take to get RDMA fabric (RCoE) set up between three servers and a switch?

For disclosure I set up a Cisco Hyperflex environment and the way everything is neatly laid together to create the converged fabric is amazing. After digging in to all of the parts, I can't imagine how a "soft" converged environment managed by Hyper-V would even work.

I mean, Hyperflex is just software hyper convergence on top of Cisco hardware. Cisco didn't write the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

big money big clit posted:

I mean, Hyperflex is just software hyper convergence on top of Cisco hardware. Cisco didn't write the software.

They didn't write the Springpath storage VM software but they designed the Fabric Interconnect to handle a single ethernet connection to each server for all communication. This is the part I don't understand with Hyper-V. Does it use standard ethernet to a layer 2 switch for the RDMA, or is there special hardware / separate ethernet connections on a separate switch for the storage traffic?

vv OK thank you, they do require a top of rack switch and separate RDMA NICs in each server, makes sense. I'm glad Microsoft is getting into the converged field though to challenge VMWare solutions.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 27, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You may find your answer in here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-spaces/hyper-converged-solution-using-storage-spaces-direct

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

RCoE is an IP based protocol, so you can use any Ethernet switch. DCB switches would help since they support priority, but aren't required.

There's also nothing special about the Cisco UCS chassis/interconnect that makes hyperconverged possible or optimal. It wasn't designed with that in mind and some traffic flows can even be a little goofy since the IOMs are single homed to an FI and the FIs don't act like switches.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

mayodreams posted:

I was chatting with my account manager at Zones this morning and he was trying to get us connected with our new VMware rep.

I told him that I've joked with our team that we should switch to Hyper-V, and he told me that knew multiple guys who actually did switch to Hyper-V and got FIRED because it was that bad.

:stare:

lol, bullshit.

We're a VMWare shop still mostly, but our remote offices run hyper-v clusters just fine and it's so much loving cheaper it's not even funny.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

big money big clit posted:

There are certainly large enterprises that use Hyper-V, but it's far fewer than use VMware and that's not likely to change any time very soon.

The good news for Microsoft is that the virtualization market isn't where the money is going to be, so they don't need to displace VMware there any time soon.

So,

Where is the money then?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

So,

Where is the money then?

Azure.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

So,

Where is the money then?

Cloud services. Anything they can get you to pay a usage based subscription for.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Tab8715 posted:

Ah hah,

I wish they had disk encryption for SSD Data Disks and the individual file restoration w/ Azure VM Backup.

And Site-to-Site Azure Site Recovery. I'm asking for a lot.

Disk encryption is now generally available for Premium VMs, which use SSDs.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have been doing a wireless deployment for a client and have gotten everyone to call the AP flashing when unable to find a controller the "Christmas tree" . I giggle whenever someone new mentions the AP in Christmas tree mode. But then that quickly fades when reality kicks in and I get mad that option 43 isn't working because they have an infinite amount of dhcp scopes

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Ignite chat: Vendor took a few clients out to BLT steak house for dinner tonight. drat good meal.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 23, 2018

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm in a middle management position, went in for an interview today at another company and basically learned through the course of the interview that they were looking for a more junior tech. At the end of the interview I think they were ready to bite but I told them the position wasn't what I was looking for at this point in my career and thanked them for their time.

What do you guys think of that in terms of etiquette? I feel like that's the courteous thing to do so you're not stringing someone along.

Sounds like you've successfully acted like a normal human; I know that can be difficult for management types, congrats!

(You're overthinking)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

skipdogg posted:

True.

We spend a poo poo ton on traditional infrastructure, and that gives us the ability to do our own DR. I'm a huge fan of what the "cloud" does for smaller companies. They don't have to drop the millions on infrastructure that we have available. Start ups can scale super quick as they need to. Rumor has we're going to be using Azure for a backup target though, and we're setting up a Netbond connection to Azure for some reason. I don't have insight into our roadmap really.

I was talking to some former co-workers last week and was told that the USAF had signed a brand new contract to continue Messaging services in its current form. For the last couple years there's been a big push by the big muckety-mucks to go to The Cloud. I guess it came to a head a few months back when someone finally asked them what they thought The Cloud was. Silence. "That's what I thought."

I guess the price tag for email in The Cloud was so prohibitively expensive because of all the additional security required, plus building the infrastructure from scratch, plus hiring all new personnel, plus all the licensing costs, that they determined the existing Messaging setup was a bargain and signed the IAFNOS contract that's been sitting there for the last year or so.

My former co-workers are still waiting to see the substance of the contract (which I suspect means it's not going to be very good). Not sure if I got out of there just in time, or if I should reconsider going back in light of some of the developments in new job. Have to wait and see I guess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm in a middle management position, went in for an interview today at another company and basically learned through the course of the interview that they were looking for a more junior tech. At the end of the interview I think they were ready to bite but I told them the position wasn't what I was looking for at this point in my career and thanked them for their time.

What do you guys think of that in terms of etiquette? I feel like that's the courteous thing to do so you're not stringing someone along.

That's absolutely fine. I've cut interviews short both in person and on the phone for that exact reason.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I'd be more pissed that that wasn't fleshed out during a phone interview.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Knowing what you want is more thank 90% of people out there so go you

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
An office email came in:

"Men's urinal closest to sink sprays water on you when you flush
Building maintenance has been notified."

Glad I'm having a better morning than that guy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I worked at the ad agency my boss (the GM) asked me to try fixing the urinal that wouldn't stop flushing. It was roaring away like Niagara Falls.

Gather 'round while I tell you all about the Regal Flushometer...

EDIT: VVVVV HA HA HA

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 28, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hmm I thought you guys were using shared storage. Everything looks like it is running locally on your hosts with no clustering or shared storage...

:v: It's right there!

:negative:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Hmm I thought you guys were using shared storage. Everything looks like it is running locally on your hosts with no clustering or shared storage...

HAHAHAHAHAHA OH JESUS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that a DC power supply just chilling out in the open

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

oh my godddddddddd

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also the gross OM1/OM2 fiber hanging there.....

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Is that a DC power supply just chilling out in the open

Of course.

The fiber is way worse than that photo shows. All om1 for starters.

Had 24 strand on one end with 8 on the other in one instance. An electrician bought a fusion splicer and was pulling individual pairs out and splicing them to go to god knows where. He doesn't have any test equipment and has never calibrated the splicer. No documentation or map exists. In another area there is an 500ft copper run with problems (surprise) and another 600ft run they fixed by putting a hub in at about 300ft.

This runs a 24/7 manufacturing facility.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 28, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

where did you get a picture of my home lab

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Clearly none of you acting shocked have worked at an MSP before. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How does an Xserve running Open Directory in TYOOL 2014 with all of the internal disks failed so the OS (10.6) was running off a software RAIDed pair of external FireWire disks sound?

"Our network isn't very reliable" :gonk:

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 28, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Internet Explorer posted:

Clearly none of you acting shocked have worked at an MSP before. :v:

MSP, poo poo. This is literally what they were doing here at the ski resort when I started.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My poor boss cries a lot. He's very emotional. I never get to see it, but he's pretty open about it via chat.

And I know this because he prefaces every question with "hey qq"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That took me far to long to get the actual intention of that invented shorthand.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That took me far to long to get the actual intention of that invented shorthand.
"quick question" ?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I interpreted it as tears.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My poor boss cries a lot. He's very emotional. I never get to see it, but he's pretty open about it via chat.

And I know this because he prefaces every question with "hey qq"

I get that at my job all the time and it always makes me laugh. As a private joke, I always respond with an ambiguous answer like "I'm always available for a quick qq. Feel free to reach out if you need it :)"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeaborneClink posted:

"quick question" ?

Pretty sure it's quite quiet

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought maybe his first and last name both started with a Q, which is rather unique if you ask me...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I get that at my job all the time and it always makes me laugh. As a private joke, I always respond with an ambiguous answer like "I'm always available for a quick qq. Feel free to reach out if you need it :)"
lol this could work

"hey qq"
"I'm here for you"

Ambiguous enough to sneak it in there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If someone said to me "hey qq" to mean "hey quick question" I'd probably punch them in the face

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If someone said to me "hey qq" to mean "hey quick question" I'd probably punch them in the face

No you wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that.