Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah i guess that's what i mean, i probably have a lot of bad habits re keeping safe from strikes. We don't use strikes though so it's fine but I'm trying to keep aware limitations of my bjj training in a potential real fight. I'll run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A while back I watched a video of Chris Haueter explaining how back in the day, black belts could slap lower belts in the face. They couldn't slap the black belts back, so they had to figure out a BJJ solution to it.

It's a cute way of going about it, although it needs the right gym to work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SnatchRabbit posted:

What's your guys take on standup sparring with takedowns, groundwork, but super light striking technique?

I guess my question is how useful is this from self-defense as well as sport/MMA/conditioning perspective?

Low power striking is fine for working your distance and defense, as long as your partner is keeping honest when you expose yourself and you take any landed hits as taking damage in a full power scenario.
It's good to be allowed to throw strikes to force your partner to readjust takedowns and entries. 90% of the time, it's figuring out when they're coming in with punches and shooting under that (or doing the Akiyama trip to them if you're fancy).

As for self-defense, see thread title.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Rolling with strikes is the best. Even if you dont fully gear up and start hitting each other, at least having the option to strike helps eliminate those situations where like youre in mount on a stronger guy and he just lies there flat and hugs his collars tightly and it takes way longer for something to happen than it should, and is just dumb bjj gamesmanship

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rolling with strikes will tighten up your game in a lot of ways, and should definitely be a part of training, but when you throw guys who are too new into it they have a tendency to stop doing anything from the bottom except cover up because they're overwhelmed with all the stuff they have to defend now.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

SnatchRabbit posted:

What's your guys take on standup sparring with takedowns, groundwork, but super light striking technique? I train at a BJJ gym and for the most part we train for straight BJJ sport and competitions, so no striking at all. However, recently we've had a few guys who are preparing for MMA fights come through so during sparring we'll start standing, w/ MMA gloves, throwing super light boxing and KB technique to work your way into a clinch. From there it's takedowns into BJJ w/ strikes on the ground. Obviously, you're just tapping the guy with your fist to let him know he's open to strikes. I find that mixing in strikes, however light, completely changes the dynamics of grappling. I guess my question is how useful is this from self-defense as well as sport/MMA/conditioning perspective? I found that I really enjoyed this type of sparring because it puts together all the things I love about striking and grappling without really having to worry about head trauma.

A fun drill I've done a few times is to start in mount position with the person on top in big rear end boxing gloves going for relatively light ground and pound techniques whilst the person on the bottom attempts to escape, being punched changes everything when grappling...

If your ever likely to be in a self defence situation and end up mounted your most likely going to deal with punches, it always pissed me off when I was a trainer for police civilian staff (custody jailers) I wasn't allowed to teach any ground defence like mount escapes because "some of the staff members are older and out of shape"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Gaz2k21 posted:

A fun drill I've done a few times is to start in mount position with the person on top in big rear end boxing gloves going for relatively light ground and pound techniques whilst the person on the bottom attempts to escape, being punched changes everything when grappling...

we did this last night and its a real eye opener. you get so used to thinking bottom closed guard is a favorable position but that changes quickly when someone is punching you in the face

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I did MMA for several years and I was frustrated at how badly I do at BJJ, compared to others who started at the same time with no experience. Then one day we incorporated striking defense from the bottom and something 'clicked' - everything made sense and I'd be armbarring motherfuckers from guard like nothing. Something about the added pressure of being punched either awoke my old training or urged my mind into a state of focus that just regular rolling/my poo poo discipline could manage on its own. I still suck at jiujitsu but it was refreshing to know that I have some level of competence somewhere under certain conditions. Highly recommend adding this to your bjj training.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Ive been doing Boxing and Kickboxing twice a week for a bit now and am looking to add an extra day of some grappling/ground work somewhere.
My possibilities here are Greco Roman Wrestling or BJJ, i'm leaning to the latter which i'm assuming would be the best for learning chokes, armbars and so on ?

There's also a place here where they teach kali/eskrima which seems to have both punch and grapple work involved. Anyone have experiences with this or is it more bullshido/choreography type of stuff? Flailing around with sticks and knives seems like it could be kind of silly fun tho :shobon:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm inclined to say greco roman because I've never seen a place that just teaches olympic wrestles

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElectricBlizzard posted:

There's also a place here where they teach kali/eskrima which seems to have both punch and grapple work involved. Anyone have experiences with this or is it more bullshido/choreography type of stuff? Flailing around with sticks and knives seems like it could be kind of silly fun tho :shobon:

I did a year of Inosanto Kali.
Depends more than likely you'll get bullshido/choreography, but there are gyms which will allow you to do soft stick or hard stick sparring and that will be fun. Generally speaking though the only useful day to day thing I learned is avoid a man trying to use a weapon on you, because either you'll get injured or you both get injured.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Ive been doing Boxing and Kickboxing twice a week for a bit now and am looking to add an extra day of some grappling/ground work somewhere.
My possibilities here are Greco Roman Wrestling or BJJ, i'm leaning to the latter which i'm assuming would be the best for learning chokes, armbars and so on ?

Kali/arnis/eskrima should always be viewed as a weapons based system first and foremost. If you want to learn how to fight with a stick and knife - go for it. It's fun, especially if the school has sparring. But if you want to learn grappling and groundwork - find a grappling based system. BJJ is a good choice for learning submissions.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Learning Greco would be cool as hell

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Surprise T Rex posted:

To be honest I'm way off being able to try that yet.

I'm struggling to do O Soto Gari with any level of consistency after only a few classes, though I'm not too frustrated, I can see that I'll get into the swing of it all eventually.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but give it a few years. Throws take a very long time to develop.

EDIT: Also want to add, most judo players have at most 3 throws they are good at. Primary move, counter to the defense of your primary move, and a *maybe* a secondary mix-up throw.

There are also fundamental skills like footsweeps which all players need to work on all the time.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 25, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've been meaning to try judo but never got around to it. Seems like there's a few options in Albuquerque, any thoughts based on the websites?

http://www.nmjudo.com/ $75/mo, I thought Judo was supposed to be inexpensive?

http://sandiajudo.50megs.com/ well, you guys do say that the more primitive the site, the more trustworthy the place, right?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/judo-club-the-judo-aikido-ju-jutsu-albuquerque these guys don't even have a website.

It's like pulling teeth with these people...

Edit: there's also this http://unm.wsrjj.org/tradkodojudo.htm but I'm not sure how that exactly relates to the "Sandia Judo Club" with whom they apparently share space?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been meaning to try judo but never got around to it. Seems like there's a few options in Albuquerque, any thoughts based on the websites?

http://www.nmjudo.com/ $75/mo, I thought Judo was supposed to be inexpensive?

http://sandiajudo.50megs.com/ well, you guys do say that the more primitive the site, the more trustworthy the place, right?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/judo-club-the-judo-aikido-ju-jutsu-albuquerque these guys don't even have a website.

It's like pulling teeth with these people...

Edit: there's also this http://unm.wsrjj.org/tradkodojudo.htm but I'm not sure how that exactly relates to the "Sandia Judo Club" with whom they apparently share space?

First one looks to have their own building, which probably adds to the price. They have the most experienced teacher as well.
2nd one, hard to say. Go check it out?

Last one is a USJJF club. Never heard of USSJF before and it looks like this apperantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr95G0BBCO8

I would check out the first 2.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Last one is a USJJF club. Never heard of USSJF before and it looks like this apperantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr95G0BBCO8

I would check out the first 2.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is random guy with no training that walks into your gym and 10 is a MMA title holder. I give the striking a 2.5 and the grappling a 3

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 28, 2016

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Wait is $75/month supposed to be high for judo? The cheapest martial arts I've seen offered have been $80/month. What's the typical going price for judo if not $75+?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Judo is an olympic sport so in canada it's often times subsidized and insurance rates for clubs aren't as expensive. Can't speak for other places though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

KildarX posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is random guy with no training that walks into your gym and 10 is a MMA title holder. I give the striking a 2.5 and the grappling a 3

This is atrocious. The striking is so bad without headshots, yet the fighters are still hesitant to engage and often turn away. No one in the entire video looks like they have a good base when they hit the ground.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Cephas posted:

Wait is $75/month supposed to be high for judo? The cheapest martial arts I've seen offered have been $80/month. What's the typical going price for judo if not $75+?

The big club in DC is pay what you can, and until recently it was free. I think they want at least $10/month.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is atrocious. The striking is so bad without headshots, yet the fighters are still hesitant to engage and often turn away. No one in the entire video looks like they have a good base when they hit the ground.

I like that they all go for that awful schoolyard trip on each other lol it would suck if you wanted to learn Judo and then went there by accident

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

manyak posted:

I like that they all go for that awful schoolyard trip on each other lol it would suck if you wanted to learn Judo and then went there by accident

Favorite exchange is at :20 dude catches a leg kick to the side and instead of finishing a single leg with it, and I can think of three variations on how to do it from that specific position, he drops the leg and goes for a tackle and gets guillotined.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The first one looks like the best of the bunch, but I'll admit that the second one's website is so bad that they might not exist, or they might be the best judo club ever.

$80 month isn't bad. Our (Canadian) club charges $50 adults, $40 students/kids, $30 for half-time, and we knock off $5 for a family rate for children/siblings of other members. But we're also a nonprofit run entirely by volunteers, and we have to lay out the mats every week.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Cephas posted:

Most of the judo clubs I've worked out with are university-associated and cost nothing or ~$20/year.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My college club costs 2 euro for a year

e: nobody told me guillotines were illegal in judo. Also I pulled off a bicep slicer, which might be illegal but I've never done one before.

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 28, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rabhadh posted:

My college club costs 2 euro for a year

e: nobody told me guillotines were illegal in judo. Also I pulled off a bicep slicer, which might be illegal but I've never done one before.

I've sat down with refs and discussed these things, including demoing the techniques.

Guillotines are illegal and they aren't illegal. They're legal if you're applying pressure with a slicing motion and compressing the neck to create a strangle. The old japanese grappling manuals I have use the same name for that as for the rear naked choke (hadaka jime). They're illegal if you're pulling on the head or creating pressure by pushing down on the back of the head and thus cranking the neck.

The guillotine is risky becuase it's really the ref's discretion which way you're going, so if you're going for a guillotine, make sure you're doing the good technique version where you're shrugging your shoulders and getting a nice high elbow to show that it's a strangle and not some ridiculous save neck yank. One thing to consider on the guillotine is that if your hands are in position to get it, your hands are pretty much in position to get an inverted cross-collar choke, which is unambigously not a neck crank (i.e grab the far side lapel with the choking arm, fingers in, and then reach underneath and grab the free one with the hand that otherwise would have been the outside arm in the guillotine, and then bring your elbows together.)

Bicep slicers are also technically illegal, but that's much easier to sell to the ref as "I was attempting to peel his arm out for an arm bar and he just tapped." It might not however be a good idea to go for that highly technical version of the bicep slicer in which you triangle the legs around the elbow, however, because that pretty much looks like an elbow compression.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

The club I go to is going up to $60/month because they need to start saving up for a new furnace. On the other hand, it actually has a really good looking website, is run by people who do well in competitions (or referee), and has so many people at the juniors practices that the black belt in charge recently sent a bunch of the youngest away.

I've got a tournament that I am competing in this weekend, but I've been out for much of the last couple weeks trying to get over a cold. And I still don't have the best headspace for judo; I get nervous and start getting stiff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fell Fire posted:

And I still don't have the best headspace for judo; I get nervous and start getting stiff.

It took me years to get past that stage in competitions and gradings.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey Thoguh, if you still read this thread: I'm in Ames for work and I stopped by the Iowa State judo club and had a great time. Awesome club, great people.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
=/ I'm kind of miffed about this kyokushin place I tried out for a couple months. We did some contact drills with partners--lots of bruises every week--but in the time that I was there for, there was zero sparring going on, even for the more advanced students. I was expecting something like randori to be a regular part of the curriculum. I ended up finding a post online where a former student a couple years back was complaining about the same thing about this dojo. I guess it's entrenched by now.

I think karate is cool and fun, but I don't get how regular sparring--one of the funnest parts of it--is so hard to include.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I feel you man, I did karate in a mcdojo while I was young and that really soured me on the whole martial arts thing, the sparring in BJJ instantly hooked me though and I did on 180 on the whole fighting sports thing because of it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cephas posted:

I think karate is cool and fun, but I don't get how regular sparring--one of the funnest parts of it--is so hard to include.

Not saying it's right, but the reasoning I've put together from talking to my former managers and instructors. Is that sparring is unprofitable. It's much easier to keep kids and adults paying and coming to lessons for exercise that feels exciting and braggable like " yea. I do kick boxing *flexes* I'm tough", when you don't constantly ego check them and make them feel sore with sparring.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I'm thinking of joining an MMA gym (never done martial arts before) and was wondering about head strikes. As in, I'm concerned about them and possible brain damage even if it's gradual. Sorry if that's a dumb thing to bring up, but is it something I need to be concerned about? I just remember a friend in college who was a long time boxing champ and his memory and processing speed were bad. He admits it changed over time from boxing.

Edit: just saw this was discussed on the last page already

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 1, 2016

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Tenacious J posted:

I'm thinking of joining an MMA gym (never done martial arts before) and was wondering about head strikes. As in, I'm concerned about them and possible brain damage even if it's gradual. Sorry if that's a dumb thing to bring up, but is it something I need to be concerned about? I just remember a friend in college who was a long time boxing champ and his memory and processing speed were bad. He admits it changed over time from boxing.

Edit: just saw this was discussed on the last page already

Just be aware of it while training and don't hit anyone harder than you want to be hit imo

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

CommonShore posted:

On the other hand showing up for a teaching job with a black eye is loving awesome, so sparring is good.

100%

Some spazzing guy managed to boot me in the face a few weeks ago as I was passing his guard. I had motions court the next day and had to appear with two black eyes. It was cool.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Tournament update: I didn't do very well. From what my coach was saying, I even had trouble getting a grip at the beginning, which hasn't been an issue in randori. On the plus side, I didn't break my neck when a Kazakhstani guy threw me with yoko-guruma. Ended up facing him twice because the people running the ladder messed up the bracketing.

Back to practice tomorrow.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Kuvo posted:

we did this last night and its a real eye opener. you get so used to thinking bottom closed guard is a favorable position but that changes quickly when someone is punching you in the face

Its definitely an eye opener for some of the lazier heavier guys who won't work from
the bottom and wait to just muscle out as soon as a gap opens up.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Bjj and wrestling guys, are toes getting wrecked from rolling a thing? Both my big toes are kinda bruised from 2 weeks ago and now one of my little toes is black and swollen to twice it's size. Theyn ever hurt at the time but then when I get home I notice them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

Bjj and wrestling guys, are toes getting wrecked from rolling a thing? Both my big toes are kinda bruised from 2 weeks ago and now one of my little toes is black and swollen to twice it's size. They never hurt at the time but then when I get home I notice them.

It's a thing that happens, could be that when you go for a single or double in wrestling for example, your back leg is turned to the side a bit, making all the weight of your body propelled by your big toe. I know that's what I would do improperly. What you're talking about is alarming though and you should get it checked out if it's black and loving swollen twice it's size.