Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
ugh adults, fiiine

switching from g to F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

G - Smattas be our gavel.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

FoxTerrier posted:

It will not calm people down. It will convince them we agree with their violent response to Hagar/CoM and inflame things.

I am not opposed to this outcome

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Switching to F

Diog, is there any other large inanimate object aound that we could smash for dramatic efect that isn't a melachim statue?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Let me try putting this another way for anyone still undecided.*

So, in this example, let's say Religion A—Capybarisim—is the majority. B—Snarlsissm—is a persecuted minority.

Y'all just told a bunch of die hard, long suffering Snarlsists you're not actually a Snarlsist as well, you're Capybarist. Furthermore, the Snarlsist preacher that was feeding their faith by telling them for decades that you were a secret Snarlisist too is a liar, and if they have questions about faith go ask Capybarist Father Fred.

Then, when they understandably freak out at (they believe) being lied to and their eternal souls put at risk, as well as having been part of a persecuted minority for no goddamn reason, your idea to calm them down, and show them it isn't the time for violence, and that you're REALLY not mad at the Snarlsist church/preacher that misrepresented you as a member, is to go break the super symbolic Snarlsist icon of Saint Snarls** in the corner. (Also an icon Capybarists are known to hate, FWIW)

Y'all. For real. C'mon. No.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 30, 2016

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
G

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I'm gonna go with F
Yell at everyone to stop

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

Let me try putting this another way for anyone still undecided.*

So, in this example, let's say Religion A—Capybarisim—is the majority. B—Snarlsissm—is a persecuted minority.

Y'all just told a bunch of die hard, long suffering Snarlsists you're not actually a Snarlsist as well, you're Capybarist. Furthermore, the Snarlsist preacher that was feeding their faith by telling them for decades that you were a secret Snarlisist too is a liar, and if they have questions about faith go ask Capybarist Father Fred.

Then, when they understandably freak out at (they believe) being lied to and their eternal souls put at risk, as well as having been part of a persecuted minority for no goddamn reason, your idea to calm them down, and show them it isn't the time for violence, and that you're REALLY not mad at the Snarlsist church/preacher that misrepresented you as a member, is to go break the super symbolic Snarlsist icon of Saint Snarls** in the corner. (Also an icon Capybarists are known to hate, FWIW)

Y'all. For real. C'mon. No.

G

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Wish we could do Power word El and carve it out on the wall again

urf
Jul 12, 2009
G. Lift the statue and Smattas over your head with your tremendous strength and throw it into the wall for dramatic effect, THEN yell at everyone to stop fighting!

Honestly, I could hardly ask for a better first vote! ELLLLLLLL

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I - Lets not cause more violence than we need.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
J. "Sheketh! Silence! I AM MAGISTRATE OF THIS CITY AND YOU WILL LISTEN WHEN I HAVE MORE TO SAY. Then banish the priestess.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
G. They can believe whatever stupid poo poo they want, but they can't be killing each other and the statue has to go no matter what. And they can't be putting words in Enkidel's mouth.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Those guys are like 110% sure that Hagar was intentionally misleading them which is incredibly weird. It's not a "lol goons" situation, it's not knowing why or how they are so certain even after what we said. Maybe they have secret knowledge of something that they're not telling us? Maybe they're just dicks that really don't care at all whether Hagar was herself misled and just want to slake their anger with blood?

Yeah, this is weird. It's a hell of a jump from, "we don't believe Hagar" to "Hagar has been knowingly lying for years."

Agree about not-smahing things. F

Also: Diog - Can a mob of unarmed, un-blooded people meaningfully hurt us?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

FoxTerrier posted:

By destroying it, your message is not 'everyone shut the gently caress up and listen to me, look how strong I am.'

It is if you yell "Everyone shut the gently caress up and listen to me" while smashing the statue with the strength of ~120 regular men

It's almost as if we live in a society where the biggest and strongest lead, and are obeyed because the religion of this society explicitly states it's because this means they are naturally better than you

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, it'll grab hold of their attention in a visceral way and bring the focus back onto Enkidel, which is what is needed to restore order right now.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
F. The statue needs to go, but it doesn't need to go explosively right this instant.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wha t is the Chadash Bait Hamikdash?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Diog, Hagar is next to us, right? Mostly behind the shield wall?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
F, You tards. Smashing poo poo is only going to make people more angry and want more violence. Yelling in mighty man voice for SILENCE! might shut them long enough to tell them to chill out and go home and think about poo poo.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
G

I think getting everyone's attention by smashing the statue is better than potentially triggering some mighty speech. With our luck we'll stop everyone's hearts or something. We shouldn't be experimenting.

I'm all kinds of suspicious of all the bizarre warnings we've been getting. A while back Ishamal told us to ignore them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Boonoo posted:

I'm all kinds of suspicious of all the bizarre warnings we've been getting. A while back Ishamal told us to ignore them.

Eagerly awaiting our next opportunity to tell Ishamal he was wrong, again.

urf
Jul 12, 2009

Boonoo posted:

[I'm all kinds of suspicious of all the bizarre warnings we've been getting. A while back Ishamal told us to ignore them.

I don't think so, the last of such warnings to be ignored ended with Enkidel succumbing to death/HUNGER/becoming-a-being-of-pure-light
Pretty sure Ishamal tells us to ignore:
-Our Hunger
-Blue Fog 'Ghosts'
-Temptation to use magicks
-Letting out balls tap into our well

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I say the statue should be melted down and poured on the altar of El.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

G

Wrong voting is fun.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

urf posted:

I don't think so, the last of such warnings to be ignored ended with Enkidel succumbing to death/HUNGER/becoming-a-being-of-pure-light
Pretty sure Ishamal tells us to ignore:
-Our Hunger
-Blue Fog 'Ghosts'
-Temptation to use magicks
-Letting out balls tap into our well

Here's a bit from when we were getting terrible feelings about being separated from our Balls--Danal was going to ask some to accompany him on an adventure.

Diogines posted:

At some point prior to the current conversation with Danal or maybe a bit after, but not in a way that conflicts with the pending vote....

You speak with Ishamal.

You tell him of some of the odd feelings you have felt recently, describing them as best you can, but the feelings are vague and difficult to describe. Of these feelings Ishamal says "If you feel such again, pay them no mind. Do not take them for guidance of what you should do, or should not do. Ignore such feelings entirely."

It seems like some of this stuff has been similar. This whole mess has been full of odd feelings.

Who exactly is under attack here? It doesn't seem like Enkidel is under physical threat. Is it that the heretics have stopped worshiping us?

I wonder, too, what we don't understand. What was Hagar trying to say. "They..." What?

The whole situation is fishy.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Boonoo posted:

The whole situation is fishy.

So what?

urf
Jul 12, 2009
There definitely seems to be something strange at work but like others have said we are working with a significant lack of information regarding Hagar's more detailed dealings with her congregation and then there's the fact that the melachim worshippers number in the hundreds higher than we had believed. It could simply be that Enkidel's grasp of the situation was much more tenuous than he had believed, thus the reactions from Paebel & Co.

I suspect there's more that Hagar was holding back
Bareen-taught knowledge kept to herself?
Possibly about Enkidel specifically?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

G to prove that we're not fooling around with them. Maybe destroying the object of their worship will end the weird effects going on in this situation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Get smashing.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
F. This should be enough

I get this sinking feeling that our worshipers (however unknowingly) are enthralled to us in such a way that what we say is TRUE. Like, bold reality warping truth, at least to them. Saying Haggar is incorrect and the melachim faith is false means to every single worshiper that hears it, it is so true and to deny such fact means one is being a malicious heretic. This is the huge leap, the huge anger; yes these peoples faith is very important to them and the normal reaction would be Gaddiel's, but I'm going to hazard Gaddiel isn't fully enthralled. Instead by just saying Hagar is wrong, then the reality is Hagar was always wrong and these truths were always self-evident, so thus Hagar is a fraud, a charlatan taking advantage of people and potentially condemning them.

Like, we're loving half Melachim and we've seen evidence that Melachim can change reality on a whim, possibly subconsciously. Why would we think we're exempt from this? Amok himself did this exact same poo poo to us.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Cool, cool. I don't really understand why we never ran the possibility past Eleazar and Paebel that the tablets could have come from Bareen and so Hagar was also misled, not lying. S'alright though.

More partial towards G than F. I think in normal situations smashing the statue might do as FoxTerrier said, but given that we're also protecting Hagar behind a ring of Mighty warriors, I don't think there's a clear enough message that more murder is not actually being encouraged, and getting people to notice that is a good idea. More though, I'm not really comfortable with putting outselves in a tiny room with no way out with Hagar right now.

Not going with either one, even though it's probably pointless given the voting.

Voting to stop and use our ~~*~senses~*~~ to consider the feeling that we're under attack, our [???], and anything else strange.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -