Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Like everything else,

symmetra has the worse golden items because her turrets don't turn gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SectumSempra posted:

the Qween of arcade is mei.

She is just about entirely invincible and if you know how her wall works, it will never be on cool down. {no one in arcade seems to know you can knock it down by pressing the button again if you do that while in a block you can keep yourself blocked from damage. (I just got out of a 20 minute german castle stage)

I did know that you can knock down the wall. I didn't know that the game let you knock it down while you were in ice block. I'll have to try that now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

(not mine)

Efexeye posted:

now that i've ground this out i hvae no idea what to get with it

pick your most played hero and get it

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I just can't imagine playing comp enough to ever be able to afford a golden gun. I have like 1500 rn and solo queue has already broken my will to continue :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

I just can't imagine playing comp enough to ever be able to afford a golden gun. I have like 1500 rn and solo queue has already broken my will to continue :(

if you placed at 65 last season, you got enough points to buy one at the end of the season even if you never played comp again after placements

you can still do that this season but you gotta hit rank 4000, so uh... good luck!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I started with rank ~2600 and was holding steady in the 2500s. Then I hit a streak of really stacked matches against me and then I lost six games in a row because of leavers and now I'm around 2100 and it's awful. Over half of the people in my games are gold rank and most teams in part of end up with at least two of the following: Torb, symmetra, bastion, Hanzo, widow. I think I'm losing more games because of this now. Whyyyyyyyyyy blizzard why?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I think opening those 11 boxes in a row helped me realise that loot boxes are loving garbage and playing this game once a day to get that first win of the day bonus is awful and a waste of time.

I think the usually long period in between getting them was masking that from me, so thanks Blizzard!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i play overwatch at least once a day because i enjoy the video game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ruggington posted:

i play overwatch at least once a day because i enjoy the video game

This. Sometimes even in the morning and then at night

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Metos posted:

I think opening those 11 boxes in a row helped me realise that loot boxes are loving garbage and playing this game once a day to get that first win of the day bonus is awful and a waste of time.

I think the usually long period in between getting them was masking that from me, so thanks Blizzard!

If you arent having fun, don't play. This isn't a grind you dumb dumb

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Someone played WoW!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The only thing I grind in Overwatch is my bootheel onto noob faces

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Metos posted:

Right after reading this post I opened a loot box and got 2 new voice lines and a legendary skin. Bless up.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

I started with rank ~2600 and was holding steady in the 2500s. Then I hit a streak of really stacked matches against me and then I lost six games in a row because of leavers and now I'm around 2100 and it's awful. Over half of the people in my games are gold rank and most teams in part of end up with at least two of the following: Torb, symmetra, bastion, Hanzo, widow. I think I'm losing more games because of this now. Whyyyyyyyyyy blizzard why?
Yeah - I had a steady climb from 2200 up to 2500 over the course of three weeks, then fell off a cliff and hit 2000 in a losing streak over the course of one night. The good news is that if you can aim well you can just shoot your way back up by maining dps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - I had a steady climb from 2200 up to 2500 over the course of three weeks, then fell off a cliff and hit 2000 in a losing streak over the course of one night. The good news is that if you can aim well you can just shoot your way back up by maining dps.

Or Zenyatta. Dude's a secret carry beast and the ability to crank out elims as well as heals at sometimes pretty insane range means you walk off with a bunch of silver and gold medals so even when you lose your SR isn't getting dinged as hard, and when you win it's getting boosted more.

Occasionally you get someone being really lovely about how you didn't prioritize their junkrat over the rest of the team but you can just not give a gently caress about the haters because you got gold heals anyway since you were doing it right.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Or Zenyatta. Dude's a secret carry beast and the ability to crank out elims as well as heals at sometimes pretty insane range means you walk off with a bunch of silver and gold medals so even when you lose your SR isn't getting dinged as hard, and when you win it's getting boosted more.

Occasionally you get someone being really lovely about how you didn't prioritize their junkrat over the rest of the team but you can just not give a gently caress about the haters because you got gold heals anyway since you were doing it right.
This is good advice, and I've had a similar experience with Ana. Both characters allow you to keep your less-than-impressive teammates walking while still dealing out significant damage of your own.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Are there any EU goons itt? I've been queuing with my girlfriend and a friend, and they are hovering around 2500+, while I just got to 2800. It would be cool to team up with more nerds, or just have someone to queue with at times where I would usually solo queue.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

what is lovely gif of nothing

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's supposed to show that Reinhardt's ult affects players standing on ledges above him.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think it's supposed to show that Reinhardt's ult affects players standing on ledges above him.

Lucio is also in mid air at the moment of impact. So it shows you can't jump last second to avoid being stunned.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the hitbox extends above the ground and always has, if you're too close to the ground it can still knock you down even if you're a double jumping genji or hovering pharah

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Use it to smack people clowning on top of the cart, they don't tolerate crap like that in Germany.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Are there any EU goons itt? I've been queuing with my girlfriend and a friend, and they are hovering around 2500+, while I just got to 2800. It would be cool to team up with more nerds, or just have someone to queue with at times where I would usually solo queue.

There's a few of us. You can go through the spreadsheet on page 1 and manually add people. I'm BugTea#2567.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I spent last night owning the skys as Pharah and had a 4 or 5 game win streak. It brought my rank up a bit. You're right though, if you can aim it seemed possible to DPS yourself out of a predicament liked this.

I'll give Zen a chance today. I tried playing Lucio but at this level people are too dumb to push when I pop sound barrier.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Last night I finally realized my aim has improved significantly when I slept a pharah out of the sky

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Overwatch is generally really good about horizontal boundaries, and a mess vertically. Rein's ult and Mei's ult both look ground locked, but hit you in the air. I've been frozen by a Mei ult at Anubis A while I was on the roof.

Meanwhile, Pharah has no leeway for hovering over an objective before it counts as uncontested.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
How does Mei's ult look like it's ground locked it has a bunch of mist hovering above it

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Well, it looks like it's blowing down from the robot to the ground. Not up above the robot. The Anubis roofs are two floors up.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't think Mei's Blizzard has a vertical limit. I've fallen out if the sky frozen while hovering at the peak of Pharahs jump jet. I've also been knocked out of the sky by Reinharts ult.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Is that accurate? I don't play Pharah often, but when I did so last night I was able to avoid freezing in Mei's Ult by boosting straight into the air. Did it twice in a row, and didn't freeze either time.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Is that accurate? I don't play Pharah often, but when I did so last night I was able to avoid freezing in Mei's Ult by boosting straight into the air. Did it twice in a row, and didn't freeze either time.

Depends on the height, and I haven't really figured out the height yet because I just get the gently caress out of there.

It does not have unlimited height (you can get above it) but the height is surprisingly high

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't think Mei's Blizzard has a vertical limit. I've fallen out if the sky frozen while hovering at the peak of Pharahs jump jet. I've also been knocked out of the sky by Reinharts ult.

I was watching a seagull stream, and he said Mei's ult is LOS (inside the circle I assume)

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

seagull is a true Goon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3BafP5vn0

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

the hitbox extends above the ground and always has, if you're too close to the ground it can still knock you down even if you're a double jumping genji or hovering pharah

It actually wraps to high/low ground as well as having an upward hitbox. On Anubis, if Rein hits the platform just inside the first archway (between the bridge and the big health pack) and you're below it, it will hit that ground as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kashuno posted:

Last night I finally realized my aim has improved significantly when I slept a pharah out of the sky

Same but with Zenyatta smacking her in the face with my balls

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh holy gently caress this poo poo is leaking into the mundane world

i can't handle this

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Donnerberg posted:

Overwatch is generally really good about horizontal boundaries, and a mess vertically. Rein's ult and Mei's ult both look ground locked, but hit you in the air. I've been frozen by a Mei ult at Anubis A while I was on the roof.

Meanwhile, Pharah has no leeway for hovering over an objective before it counts as uncontested.

Yeah its a mechanics thing that makes it op i think. His ult will hit you even if youre a full character height above him. The thinfs that i think make the heros op arent their abilities in theory, but that they have janky hitboxes and delays.

Genjis sword and dash hitting people not on his screen or behind him, reins hammer hitting in like 270 degrees, and his ult hitting 10 feet in the air. Meis ult extending 15 feet up. Roadhogs hook hitting around and through geometry. If they tightened that up i think itd not only be more balanced, it allows more precise play by players.

It IS bull that pharah cant float 4 feet over an objective, but other heroes can be 4 feet over via iceblock on an objective and it blocks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

In the arcade brawl you can probably find exactly how high Mei's ult goes since Pharah's jet boost is on a 3 second cooldown and Mei's ult is on like a 15 second cooldown. You can get above it, but it's pretty high. Above the archway roof on Dorado where the cart's going up the ramp into the town square, at least. You certainly aren't staying out of it with normal cooldown rules but you can boost up and get out of it as pharah for sure.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Would the game be less fun if hitboxes were limited to character models for every attack in the game??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
To be fair on Reins Ult, being slightly elevated seems to make it fail to knockdown. I've hammer downed on the front of the Numbani payload towards open ground and had no one affected despite clearly being in the gfx of the attack.