Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Does anyone have Rogers Gigabit? How is it? Does it maintain its advertised speeds?

Just saw that they're available in my area (KW), and man, 1Gbps does sound sweet. Downsides, of course: expensive ($150/month) and ... Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Shomi is shutting down in case you are one of the 5 people that use it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

sbaldrick posted:

Inevitable given the size of the "12 months free Netflix!" stickers that adorn the windows of every Rogers store out there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sbaldrick posted:

I didn't even make it through the free two weeks. What the gently caress were they thinking; yeah, I totally want to watch a show that's missing entire seasons.

And their foreign content is basically nonexistent. :hitler:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

sbaldrick posted:

I had an issue with my Shaw router a few months ago, and after they cleared it up the tech offered me 3 free months of Shomi. Even though it was free I declined, and the techs response was basically "Yeah.... Yeah, make sense....."

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

Volguus posted:

Does anyone have Rogers Gigabit? How is it? Does it maintain its advertised speeds?

Just saw that they're available in my area (KW), and man, 1Gbps does sound sweet. Downsides, of course: expensive ($150/month) and ... Rogers.

I got it as soon as I saw it available. Here's my speedtest result

Stays pretty consistent around there. Actual highest download I've gotten is about 85 mb/sec through steam.

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Rest In Piss, Shomi

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thank christ. Hopefully Crave won't be far behind.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DarkEnigma posted:

I got it as soon as I saw it available. Here's my speedtest result

Stays pretty consistent around there. Actual highest download I've gotten is about 85 mb/sec through steam.

Do you use any games that distribute their patches via torrents? Many years ago it was quite the issue with them that with their deep-packet inspection they were throttling even legitimate torrent traffic. Do they still do that? Have you noticed anything?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone here on Telus Pure Fiber? 150/150 sounds pretty sweet, my area should be lit up next month.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anyone here on Telus Pure Fiber? 150/150 sounds pretty sweet, my area should be lit up next month.

The large usage cap makes it a no brainer if you're using more than 250gb/mo.

150/150 with 1tb usage is only $2 more than 15/1 with unlimited.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

shadow puppet of a posted:

Inevitable given the size of the "12 months free Netflix!" stickers that adorn the windows of every Rogers store out there.

I'm not going to complain about the self destruction of Rogers Cable TV empire but I wonder what possessed Rogers management to invite the fox into the hen house.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

8ender posted:

I'm not going to complain about the self destruction of Rogers Cable TV empire but I wonder what possessed Rogers management to invite the fox into the hen house.

Inevitability.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Frank Dillinger posted:

Yep I am on that. It's great. My lines test around 168 up/down consistently. The server running in the other room means I still had to get the unlimited package though. Managed to get it for $100/mo so I'm not really complaining.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Volguus posted:

Do you use any games that distribute their patches via torrents? Many years ago it was quite the issue with them that with their deep-packet inspection they were throttling even legitimate torrent traffic. Do they still do that? Have you noticed anything?

They don't do that any more.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yep I am on that. It's great. My lines test around 168 up/down consistently. The server running in the other room means I still had to get the unlimited package though. Managed to get it for $100/mo so I'm not really complaining.

I know some areas of Edmonton are getting set up with it (my friend was told the line is being put in to his neighborhood, but he has to pay 1200 for it to get to his house or whatever. When i do a postal code search on telus' website, it says I have it available to me so I assume I don't have to pay for that. I currently pay 83 for internet (450gb cap) so 150/150 seems like a no brainer for 80.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Skeematic posted:

I know some areas of Edmonton are getting set up with it (my friend was told the line is being put in to his neighborhood, but he has to pay 1200 for it to get to his house or whatever. When i do a postal code search on telus' website, it says I have it available to me so I assume I don't have to pay for that. I currently pay 83 for internet (450gb cap) so 150/150 seems like a no brainer for 80.

You know it. You can call Telus and get them to double check that your address is already set up for it. They'll enable it, likely send a line tech to replace your modem, then boom you're done.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

You know it. You can call Telus and get them to double check that your address is already set up for it. They'll enable it, likely send a line tech to replace your modem, then boom you're done.

Cool, thanks

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Edmonton... I'm hosed for service here in Calgary. Pretty much capped at 25 down in varsity

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Skeematic posted:

Cool, thanks

No problem fellow Edmonton goon.

w00tmonger posted:

Edmonton... I'm hosed for service here in Calgary. Pretty much capped at 25 down in varsity

I thought Shaw rolled out their Wide Open 150 in Calgary as well? Maybe see if they can give you a good reason why you can't get it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

ChubbyThePhat posted:

No problem fellow Edmonton goon.

I thought Shaw rolled out their Wide Open 150 in Calgary as well? Maybe see if they can give you a good reason why you can't get it.

Depends on area in the city I think. My dad jumped in the new shaw deal. I know varsity has a weird node problem though. Would murder for a 150/150 plan. Rocking a cheapo teksavvy plan at the moment so I can't really complain

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I just upgraded to Pure Fibre 150/150 maybe two weeks ago, I got a new job and was gonna treat myself to 50mb(up from 25). Turns out 150 was the same price. I too am seeing 168 down. This is in Capitol Hill. It sounds like Telus at least is building out their fibre network with a quickness - hopefully the major cities will have broad coverage very soon. Now it sucks to think about even the possibility of moving and having to deal with lovely caps and lesser service.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

w00tmonger posted:

Same here in Lethbridge. The little satellite towns have full fibre but Lethbridge itself is screwed. Hopefully I will be able to get it through teksavvy by the time it gets here though.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Is it my imagination, or is Bell gigabit Fibe available in less than 10% of Toronto? Any chance of full coverage before 2025?

Rogers says their gigabit service is available in my neighbourhood. Though I couldn't begin to afford it at $150/month. Is that not FTTH, or is it over DOCSIS?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Would be DOCSIS

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

zergstain posted:

Is it my imagination, or is Bell gigabit Fibe available in less than 10% of Toronto? Any chance of full coverage before 2025?

Rogers says their gigabit service is available in my neighbourhood. Though I couldn't begin to afford it at $150/month. Is that not FTTH, or is it over DOCSIS?

Bell kinda put the breaks on/slowed down roll out until the crtc decision came out about de-aggregation on resale. Still being done, but it's still the easiest/most profitable neighbourhoods are being done first (and that's across ontario, not just GTA).

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

unknown posted:

Bell kinda put the breaks on/slowed down roll out until the crtc decision came out about de-aggregation on resale. Still being done, but it's still the easiest/most profitable neighbourhoods are being done first (and that's across ontario, not just GTA).

They didn't slow down, their footprint is just that small in growth.

Bell can't afford to be childish and slow development of their FTTH network, DOCSIS 3.1 is being launched with Gbps+ speeds on existing copper infrastructure while most VDSL2 ITU G.993.2 offerings cap off at 50Mbps.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Has anyone transferred from another ISP to start.ca? How smooth was the transition, and how has start's service been? I'm looking to finally ditch a craptastic and antiquated plan from Rogers.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I did, back in April. The hardest part was being put on hold by Rogers over and over again for half an hour. There've been maybe a handful of brief service outages since then, which is a lot better than what I'd got from Rogers in the year before.

Haven't had to call support during office hours, but apparently they're quite responsive on social media.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Looks like E-Box has changed their pricing after the CRTC decision. 120/20 for $70/m unlimited for the first year, $80 after the first year.

That's... a really good price :stare:

I can only hope that other ISPs follow suit quickly.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Migishu posted:

Looks like E-Box has changed their pricing after the CRTC decision. 120/20 for $70/m unlimited for the first year, $80 after the first year.

That's... a really good price :stare:

I can only hope that other ISPs follow suit quickly.

120/20 for $70/80 is only for Videotron's footprint though, not all incumbents.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just realizes that. Still, hope I can upgrade my connection soon.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

John Capslocke posted:

They didn't slow down, their footprint is just that small in growth.

Bell can't afford to be childish and slow development of their FTTH network, DOCSIS 3.1 is being launched with Gbps+ speeds on existing copper infrastructure while most VDSL2 ITU G.993.2 offerings cap off at 50Mbps.

Ah, must've reallocated/moved resources then or something (chatting with a couple of techs who were expecting stuff to come to them in a bit). But I do agree they need to go gang busters on the gpon/ftth roll out to catchup to d3.1

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1133779

quote:

After analyzing the tariff applications, the CRTC is of the view that the rates proposed by certain of the large companies were not just and reasonable and had to be revised downwards. The CRTC is very concerned that certain large companies have not conducted their cost studies in accordance with well-established costing principles and methodologies.

In light of this finding, the CRTC is setting revised interim rates that better reflect costs that are just and reasonable.

Quick Facts

To foster competition in the broadband Internet market, large companies must grant competitors access to their networks at rates, terms and conditions that are set by the CRTC.
The CRTC has set revised interim rates for the large companies for wholesale high-speed access services as the rates they had proposed were not just and reasonable.
The CRTC has reduced the proposed transport component rate for a number of companies by up to 89%. Additionally, proposed access component rates of certain companies were reduced by up to 39%.
The large companies who had submitted rates are Bell Canada, Cogeco, MTS, Rogers Communications, SaskTel, Shaw, TELUS and Vidotron.
The CRTC will continue its in-depth analysis of the various Tariff Notices in order to set final rates.
The CRTC intends to issue requests for information as a next step in the process. All parties will have the opportunity to comment on the Tariff Notices in order to assist in ensuring that the final rates are just and reasonable.

Holy poo poo guys. We might just join the 21st Century after all

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Holy poo poo, we won!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

It's happening.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
C'mon guys, it's 2016. We're well on our way into the dystopian future movies predicted for us.

This ruling will somehow make it worse for us, in the end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

C'mon guys, it's 2016. We're well on our way into the dystopian future movies predicted for us.

This ruling will somehow make it worse for us, in the end.

The big 3 getting angry in defeat, suggesting they can't turn a massive profit at those unreasonable rates so there's no point in carrying on as a business, and sending 100,000 volts through their entire infrastructure to burn it to the ground.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Mmm, yeah, were just gonna cancel any and all infrastructure expansion and maintenance. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
MTS stopped laying fibre 2 years ago after the CTRC made that ruling that they had to sell access to it. Now everyone's just going to stop altogether.