Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Why would you do such a major thing on a Friday you poor soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Man I'm so glad I stuck it out with this VAR despite the first month being real loving bad. After cleaning up the previous guy's messes I've been doing a lot of cool rear end projects and have been able to help these guys generate another 500k in hardware/professional services sales. They just gave me 2 tickets to the legends suite in Yankee Stadium for this weekend, can't wait to try and order a lobster burger where the bun is actually two pieces of filet mignon.

There is one downside, I'm pretty sure my fiance is gonna leave me, she hates the hours I put in but all of this OT is going to pay for our wedding. She's used to my 9 - 5 as a contractor where you leave work at work.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sepist posted:

There is one downside, I'm pretty sure my fiance is gonna leave me, she hates the hours I put in but all of this OT is going to pay for our wedding. She's used to my 9 - 5 as a contractor where you leave work at work.

My engagement didn't survive my first MSP job, mine was all the travel though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

:lol:

e: how about "let's circle back to get this close to the pin" god loving dammit i hate this fucker on the phone right now

I had one guy in a project meeting who would not stop saying "soup to nuts". As in, "we need to make sure we cover everything-- soup to nuts".

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

A VOIP migration, no less.

[silently chortles]

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got half the day off yesterday after I was forced to evacuate my office due to water leaking in from the ceiling. Apparently there was a foot of water in the room on the second floor that was pretty close to me and it naturally decided to start raining in my office. Fortunately we got enough of a notice that I was able to power down equipment and move it when we saw the dripping start. Building supervisor ordered anyone whose office was leaking to leave immediately, so I left figuring I'd have to use vacation time to make up for it, but fortunately the PM decided that since it wasn't my fault that the ceiling was leaking and I had no alternate work site that I could put in a full 8 hours in my billing sheet even though I only worked 4.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Dick Trauma posted:

The expense tracking project has been resurrected. The old VP of accounting had been pushing for Concur because she liked its reporting at her last job, but I nixed it due to way too much negative feedback. Then she quit. Hurray!

Now Bill has brought it back to life because of the incompetent way he manages the one corporate card that's shared among many people.

I'm looking at Abacus, Expensify and Xpenditure. I'm sure there will be much demo'ing and analysis before like most projects this one gets abandoned. Again.

What's wrong with Concur? We use it here, its always worked great for me, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else bitching about it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

DigitalMocking posted:

What's wrong with Concur? We use it here, its always worked great for me, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else bitching about it.

+1 for concur. I can enter receipts from my phone and it doesn't gently caress it up.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

We use it too, never had any problems with it, but I don't admin it either.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

Man I'm so glad I stuck it out with this VAR despite the first month being real loving bad. After cleaning up the previous guy's messes I've been doing a lot of cool rear end projects and have been able to help these guys generate another 500k in hardware/professional services sales. They just gave me 2 tickets to the legends suite in Yankee Stadium for this weekend, can't wait to try and order a lobster burger where the bun is actually two pieces of filet mignon.

It took my wife a while to adjust to my life in startup world. By that, I largely mean it took me awhile to figure out how to balance everyone's expectations, which is only harder when you're working with a company 3 hours behind your own timezone.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dreyvas posted:

[silently chortles]

To be honest... all of our biggest projects (including PBX changeover and ISP swap) took place beginning Friday night.
After happy hour of course.

And in retrospect I wouldn't have it any other way. Nobody flipping their poo poo or breathing down your neck SCREAMING bout downtime and lost $$$, etc...

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
From a MSP perspective, more power to you. Just don't wake me up at 5AM Saturday morning. :)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha my change management windows are Friday nights from 10-2!!!

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

We just did our VOIP cutovers on the last 3 Thursdays. Three locations on three separate phone systems all moving to one system. For some reason they don't like to do things on the weekend here even though hardly anyone works then.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Wiggly posted:

We just did our VOIP cutovers on the last 3 Thursdays. Three locations on three separate phone systems all moving to one system. For some reason they don't like to do things on the weekend here even though hardly anyone works then.
1) people are cranky on mondays and in a good mood on fridays
2) maybe they want you to enjoy your weekend

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wiggly posted:

"Phones are down!" is a great excuse for everyone to leave the office at 2 PM and go drinking

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

1) people are cranky on mondays and in a good mood on fridays
2) maybe they want you to enjoy your weekend

#2 is definitely true and I get that, but there have been times when I have wondered why we put ourselves under these deadlines to get things done overnight when doing things on the weekend and having time to test, etc. would make much more sense.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wiggly posted:

#2 is definitely true and I get that, but there have been times when I have wondered why we put ourselves under these deadlines to get things done overnight when doing things on the weekend and having time to test, etc. would make much more sense.
This is a company culture that is busy communicating to everyone else at the company that your time is valued even at its own expense.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

Yeah man the consulting life is sweet. Just make sure to manage your schedule so you don't get burned out from the weekend and overnight work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vulture Culture posted:

"Phones are down!" is a great excuse for everyone to leave the office at 2 PM and go drinking

Funny, that used to be the reason I came into the office and started drinking...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We don't do Friday/weekend changes because invariably something would poo poo itself and the guy we need is gone

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It took 11 hours of travelling but I'm finally home from babby's first business trip. The trip went on a little bit longer than expected but it was fun, I got a lot done, learned a lot, tried new things and I got to be a tourist for a few days.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dreyvas posted:

[silently chortles]

This was meant to go ahead on Tuesday... two weeks ago, project delays woo!

Because of delays we actually run right to the end of our current contract, so it was basically a case of "I'm doing this today regardless of anything and everything". Even when I finished I got home and remoted in to finish off out of hours and weekend working configuration to avoid a Monday shitstorm, here's hoping it did the trick!

Vulture Culture posted:

By about 3pm I went to the other side of the office (Telesales/Marketing) to change over their phones, and it was a ghost town. Apparently they all just hosed off for the day because of "phone problems", made by job easier at least :shrug:

Despite the big boss getting cranky to get on new VOIP host's rear end because "We're losing business and money"... four new deals still came in regardless.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sepist posted:

Not to go all E/N, but a relationship is work too, if you don't put energy into it, it'll go sideways. Also just like work: if she doesn't see the reasons you do (wedding) for putting in the hours at work, she won't be motivated to keep things going until those results come in either.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Anyone have an opinion of what the downside is to buying/operating an old 11G Dell rackmount (R710) in my basement for ESXi lab type stuff? Is it just power consumption? It looks like they can be had fairly loaded on ebay for <$1,000 but am not sure what catch I might run into moving forward.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cr0y posted:

Anyone have an opinion of what the downside is to buying/operating an old 11G Dell rackmount (R710) in my basement for ESXi lab type stuff? Is it just power consumption? It looks like they can be had fairly loaded on ebay for <$1,000 but am not sure what catch I might run into moving forward.
Power consumption, heat generation, and your server could die depending on how dusty and/or moist it is down there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you just want a VMware lab then it's hard to beat a stack of NUCs with SSDs in.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Can we discuss password change policies? Or is that too controversial like AV?

I think this article is fairly persuasive, based on what I've seen in my career. Far better to have a secure password someone can remember than an insecure one that gets written down.

My biggest concern would be password sharing, but having passwords expire doesn't change that anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Can we discuss password change policies? Or is that too controversial like AV?

I think this article is fairly persuasive, based on what I've seen in my career. Far better to have a secure password someone can remember than an insecure one that gets written down.

My biggest concern would be password sharing, but having passwords expire doesn't change that anyway.

It's more about guaranteeing that if a password is reused or accidentally shared that there's a set point at which it becomes invalid. If LinkedIn's password database gets compromised and the user uses their work email (or it's easy to figure out their work email from their profile) as well as the same password, then it means there's at most 60/90 days that an attacker could use the same password to gain access to their account.

Now, with respect to the article that you posted, this same scenario can also be successfully defeated through a secure multifactor authentication solution like a smart card or a securely transmitted software (not SMS) token to a phone, which is why a lot of places are moving in that direction. In addition to being entirely more secure than using a password, it also does away with the well-known problems mentioned in the article.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 3, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

psydude posted:

It's more about guaranteeing that if a password is reused or accidentally shared that there's a set point at which it becomes invalid. If LinkedIn's password database gets compromised and the user uses their work email (or it's easy to figure out their work email from their profile) as well as the same password, then it means there's at most 60/90 days that an attacker could use the same password to gain access to their account.

Now, with respect to the article that you posted, this same scenario can also be successfully defeated through a secure multifactor authentication solution like a smart card or a securely transmitted software (not SMS) token to a phone, which is why a lot of places are moving in that direction. In addition to being entirely more secure than using a password, it also does away with the well-known problems mentioned in the article.

How secure are the 3rd-party apps that some places recommend (e.g. WinAuth) that get seeded by the bank/whatever and then provides you a 2FA key to use on-demand?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

psydude posted:

Two-factor would be ideal, I just don't know that I can afford it on my budget right now. Most of the objections I have against not expiring passwords, though, hold true even if they do expire. If someone shares their password, they'll share the new one, too.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, but like psydude said, it provides a limit for how long that old password can come back and bite you. Like if they share it, then the person they share it to gets terminated, at least there is a limit to how long that other person continues to have access.

Personally, I am pushing for 2FA and a password manager as soon as I can. 2FA will stop people from sharing those passwords and the password manager will help show us what needs to be changed when someone leaves as it's easier to see what they had access to.

I know there's been a bunch of papers that say password expirations are not helpful, but I just don't buy it. Even once a year would be fine with me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I probably would do once a season. As a Ski resort, we have 5 months of Winter ops, 7 months of Summer ops, and the changeover would be a good time to make everyone change their passwords.

For 2FA, I have a pretty good idea on making it work inexpensively, but it would require something different for OWA. Everyone here has an employee ID card with a magnetic swipe,so easy enough to make that part of the login process, but then it won't work for OWA.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you looked at Duo? It's not very expensive.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Have you looked at Duo? It's not very expensive.

$3/user/month isn't awful, but we'd still need devices. People aren't going to want to wait for a text message here every time they log on. So now I need $50 Yubikeys or something too.

E: On a time limit for a hacker to use a stolen password, the article addresses that too. People just change their password by one digit, so it doesn't take much to figure out.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 3, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We actually toyed with the idea of password min characters 45 and expires 365 days to require people to use a unique sentience. It's gotten more into this will be a pain in the rear end to get all the users on the same page and the first reset is going to be a massive headache.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pixaal posted:

We actually toyed with the idea of password min characters 45 and expires 365 days to require people to use a unique sentience. It's gotten more into this will be a pain in the rear end to get all the users on the same page and the first reset is going to be a massive headache.

As someone who uses a 17 character password at work, you are crazy

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

$3/user/month isn't awful, but we'd still need devices. People aren't going to want to wait for a text message here every time they log on. So now I need $50 Yubikeys or something too.

E: On a time limit for a hacker to use a stolen password, the article addresses that too. People just change their password by one digit, so it doesn't take much to figure out.
If you give your users the choice of installing the smartphone app vs. carrying around an extra device in their pocket, you may be pleasantly surprised by how little you need to spend on devices.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
this_isa45characterpasswordandthisisinsane...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mewse posted:

As someone who uses a 17 character password at work, you are crazy

I am using a long password. Multiple sentences works well!
I just bought a new car! It's a year make model.
It's not that great for a user which is why it never happened. It's not hard to come up with a sentience or two that you will remember. It's so much more secure than baseb4ll28 followed by baseb4ll29.