Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_____!
May 2, 2004

I love how fucky the official Sonic channel is. They give no fucks. See also the dog video that was posted before the video in the link.

Oh my God I just now watched Exposed: the secret clues of sonic's social media and that only cements my previous statement. It seems like they handed over control of their videos to Game Grumps/Mega64 almost.

_____! fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Art in its purest form

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Would watch a sonic the hedgedog movie

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paper Sonic the Hedgehog

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Would watch a sonic the hedgedog movie

I've got some good news for you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

a.lo posted:

If the one you want to watch was made in 1996 then you're in for a great time! :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a.lo posted:

I think you need to re read my post and reconcile it with sonics latest social media posts

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sakurazuka posted:

Paper Sonic the Hedgehog

I wish they had managed to hammer out that RPG they made into a series as fun and goofy as Paper Mario used to be. Of course, I also wish that RPG was good.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I wish they had managed to hammer out that RPG they made into a series as fun and goofy as Paper Mario used to be. Of course, I also wish that RPG was good.

Why was it so bad? It was made by Bioware, wasn't it? Aren't they usually good at RPGs?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spergatory posted:

Why was it so bad? It was made by Bioware, wasn't it? Aren't they usually good at RPGs?

Bioware also makes garbage. The game was a disaster.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spergatory posted:

It was obviously rushed to poo poo and unfinished. What I remember from the story is actually pretty alright and the gameplay ideas they had weren't bad, but it's just. Not done, or polished.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Ran terribly, played terribly, bad writing, and famously bad music.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And the reason it has poo poo music is because like the week before the game went to print they found out they didn't have any rights to the original music so they had to whine out famously lovely tunes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spergatory posted:

It was by their newly formed (and presumably promptly shuttered) handheld team.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
And Sega can't really acknowledge Chronicles anymore even if they want to because Ken Penders whined that its original characters were too similar to The Dark Legion.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Calaveron posted:

And the reason it has poo poo music is because like the week before the game went to print they found out they didn't have any rights to the original music so they had to whine out famously lovely tunes

That doesn't explain the sound effects.

*gobbles*

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought it was that they lost the original music they'd done so they had to quickly grab some MIDIs off the internet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Sonic Boom Fire & Ice is a surprisingly competent game. The levels are much shorter and faster paced, you don't have to backtrack for collectables in order to progress, the character switching so far as been severely downplayed (in fact, a lot of levels are played exclusively by one particular character), the writing isn't nearly as cringe worthy, there are actual boss battles this time around and for the first time I'm actually having fun playing a Sonic Boom game.

It's basically the best game in this sub-series (though that's not saying a whole lot) and is a huge improvement over Shattered Crystal (which itself was still more of a Sonic game than Rise of Lyric was, also neither of the 3DS games are a glitchy mess though that's probably because they were made by a different company). Your mileage may vary of course but I'd recommend at least giving it a try.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Overall, I felt like Sonic Boom had at the very least a chance. Apparently the devs were designing it for higher-end systems but were told it would be a Wii U exclusive and were given little time to fix it and were bleeding team members. So not only were they desperately trying to fix the game so it could run on the new hardware, it was sucking up dev assets and forcing people out. It didn't help that they used Crytek for the game, but it's possible it could have been overcome. That and I actually really prefer the character designs in it to the OC style that came up after Adventure.

I hope Sonic Mania is a sign to development teams. A short, condensed fun game will be a million times more entertaining and replayable than a 60 hour epic about anthro vermin loving little girls. I realize that you have to create a massive amount of assets for a 3d Sonic game, but Generations got around that well by having lots of fun extra challenge stages, and Colors adopted a Mario 3 style world-stage system. But unfortunately, they were kind of forgotten and everyone is like "modern Sonic games all garbage!" so odds are out-of-touch heads of the companies won't learn the good lessons that came out of those games.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, the game they were trying to make with Boom (and the one we were initially presented with) was looking pretty great. But the engine ran like garbage on the Wii U and they couldn't do a lot about it, plus a bunch of content got cut too - one of the devs mentioned in an interview an entire subplot with Amy befriending Sticks, but in the final game Sticks is just an NPC standing in an odd spot somewhere. The history of that game is interesting, but pretty tragic, considering what we ended up with.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 2, 2016

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, the "2 regular Sonic stages and 2 gimmick acts" of Colors, topped off with a boss, was pretty good. Shame it was a Wii exclusive and I had to play the inferior, Dolphin version.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dresh posted:

And Sega can't really acknowledge Chronicles anymore even if they want to because Ken Penders whined that its original characters were too similar to The Dark Legion.

Well they can, the court cases got thrown out (as does every Penders case against Sega). But why would they want to?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Onmi posted:

Well they can, the court cases got thrown out (as does every Penders case against Sega). But why would they want to?

Because I wanna play as Shade in Sonic Riders 4

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Why has nobody made a Cold Steel mod for Metal Gear Rising?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I ain't gonna let it get to me, I'm just gonna creep.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I've got Arby's on my Facebook feed because the dude that runs it is also pretty dang good, just like the Official Sonic twitter.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

I've got Arby's on my Facebook feed because the dude that runs it is also pretty dang good, just like the Official Sonic twitter.

I'm jealous, the dude gets to gently caress around and get paid to make papercraft / cardboardcraft things.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm jealous, the dude gets to gently caress around and get paid to make papercraft / cardboardcraft things.

Yeah, it's gotta be great to just sit down in (possibly) an office and just think up of fun stop motion Video game/Anime references and get a ton of people just cover your post in likes. Just show that to the supervisor, all the people saying "Well now I'm eating Arby's for sure because of this!" and ask for a raise.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The sequel. I don't know why this is so loving funny, but it is.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 12, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey, it's one of my favorite times of the year! That's right, it's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtfenPlD8g

Sonic Amateur Games Expo! Where you get to play dozens of remakes of Green Hill Zone (with names like Turquoise Paradise Zone), really lovely fangames that sometimes show a little promise, and rarely even surprisingly good games!

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/SAGE

Also, jeez, the site has really slick design this year. Probably more work went into it than some of these games.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 15, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

smh at this guy dismissing Lloyd the Monkey

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Yuji had went to a place called Sweet Paridicse that had a Sonic 25th theme going,

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/787153535834042369

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I found it, the best fangame at SAGE this year. Sonic Gather Battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GoqxH70QIE

Essentially, Sonic Battle but as a classic 2D beat-em-up instead. Which is probably what Sonic Battle should've been to begin with, tbh. The GBA is really not the best place for your Smash Bros. clones.

But on top of just being a good concept and pretty well executed, this game goes completely nuts with features. There's up to eight-player (!) co-op, which renders most of the screen completely illegible with particle effects but it doesn't matter because robots are exploding everywhere. There's two different kinds of adventure modes, one mission-based and one level-based. There's a versus mode that's like the original, except with smash bros. items inserted. There's a Metal Slug level and a Metal Gear Solid level (!?).

One thing i really wish there was and there isn't though, is a manual. The game is japanese-made, and you can totally navigate the menus, but there's a lot of features I'm not quite sure I understand, and movelists for the characters would be very appreciated. Oh, and it's too hard for its own good; I can't beat stage one of adventure. I probably can with practice, but uhh, it's stage 1. There's a even a difficulty selection, and the only options are Hard and Very Hard!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spergatory posted:

The sequel. I don't know why this is so loving funny, but it is.

oh no

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/787004432219340804

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

This exchange is now my favorite thing that has ever happened on social media.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The two best social media pages bar none

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is sonic mania out yet

im wilting away

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stairmaster posted:

is sonic mania out yet

im wilting away

We all are/will be until spring 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Other companies please take note; this is how you engage your audiences on social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh hey, turns out the Fire & Ice soundtrack (scratch that, I just looked it up and he did all three games. I guess they must've finally let him do fun songs on this one then) was composed by the one and only Richard Jacques, one of my favorite Sonic musicians. So the OST actually has some cool tracks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Z8vWk9oSQ

Real lovely 3DS quality, though. I hope a soundtrack actually comes out.