Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

WanderingKid posted:

My 4th just died today. 4 in 6 years. (1) double left click, (2) wheel stopped clicking + double left click, (3) wheel stopped clicking + not scrolling (4) wheel stopped clicking.

Purchase dates = 24 November 2010, 13 August 2011, 13 February 2014, 08 March 2015

scroll wheel assembly partially salvaged from (2) and (3) but they died quickly. I have a drawer with all of them stuffed in for spares. Its a deathadder graveyard.

Guess its back to ambidextrous now (left handed).

That's what I'm saying mang. Don't buy Razer's garbage. I guess their mousepads are okay though (?) I used a Sphex for many years on top of a desk sized mousepad, and liked it. The Goliathus Speed/Control seem pretty popular, I don't know much about them though (prefer hard mousepads). In fact, there's so many mousepads out there, I don't even know where to begin.

Polite reminder that the Razer Synapse software requires an account to download and logs in to sync:

But back when I first bought a Deathadder in 2009, the software looked like this:

Got it home, plugged it in, downloaded this, clicked 1000Hz and it stopped working permanently.

I... I don't like Razer ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hello mouse thread, I just got a Ducky Secret which I intend to use with a PC I'm slowly putting together but right now all I have to use it with is a 2010 Macbook Pro. I really like the mouse from a comfort level but it's doing all kinds of weird things in OSX like pausing for a second while moving or losing middle click autoscroll functionally in firefox until I disconnect and reconnect it and generally acting erratic. Is this an OSX thing or should I expect this sort of stuff to happen once I get my PC built and start using the mouse in Windows? I have angle snapping off, cloth mouse pad setting, poll rate at 500 and DPI at 1600 but it seems to happen with other setting as well. Is OSX just weird with these xxxtreme gamer mice?

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 29, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sorry to double post but I've fixed this problem by using the fixes here and here (just the control panel settings, didn't have to download a third party control panel). Although now that I've actually started using the mouse I kinda hate it. I use a palm grip and for my hand whenever I slide the mouse back and to the left it runs up on the pad of skin under my thumb and gets caught on it, pinching it and stopping the mouse. I have pretty large hands but they're not fat or excessively flashy so I have no idea why this is happening but it's incredibly annoying. any other kind of grip feels awkward with this mouse.

It's a shame because I find other things about it super appealing, it's made of a nice material and the switches and everything feel like they're gonna last forever, the fact that it doesn't need any kind of drivers or software to change settings is another huge bonus. I was an MX510/518 user and was looking for a mouse that would feel like that since logitech went crazy with their designs, a bunch of googling led me to the ducky secret but it's really not like that mouse at all. time to see how mechanicalkeyboards.com's return policy is I guess :sigh:

can anyone recommend a mouse like the mx518? something built with high quality/lasting switches and lacking weird coatings that wear off would be a bonus, clicky scroll wheels are a must for me too

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Goo I know you're bound by your employment to phrase things the way your employer requires you to but we know you're more than smart enough to understand that the gray box isn't a "poor design choice," it's deliberately deceptive and Logitech knew drat well that it was deliberately deceptive when they added that shitware to the installer.

"I know you can't say what I want you to say, but you better loving say it." :psyduck:

How is the G600 for claw grip?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Goo posted:

This is what the new dialog will look like. If everything goes well it should go live in the next few days.

Yeah that looks better

On another note, does anyone know why my G602 doesn't remember my default DPI setting when I turn off my computer? I have it set to use a profile saved on the mouse, but every time I start windows, it defaults to the lowest of the three DPI settings I have installed, and I have to manually switch it to the highest one (which is the default I use for desktop work). Also, the buttons I've configured for DPI up and DPI down don't work until after windows has been running for a few minutes - before then completely different buttons perform the DPI up and down functions. This started a few weeks ago, and persisted even after I reinstalled windows (for unrelated reasons).

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I just received the g403 and its a really nice mouse. The side buttons have nice tactile feedback and scroll wheel is nice and clicky. I dont know how close it is to an mx 518 since I never used one but Ive heard its similar.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lungboy posted:

I was finding it impossible to choose between the G Pro mouse and the G403, so my trusty G9 decided by dying, forcing me to buy the G403 as the Pro isn't available yet. Thanks for all the fun, G9!

My G9 lives! No idea what's going on but it came back to life.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I got a zowie ec1a to try something other than a g502, I like it so far. No software is nice, weight is nice, cord is nice, shape is nice. Would recommend.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

I dont know how close it is to an mx 518 since I never used one but Ive heard its similar.

It's not, sadly. The MX518 has a channel on the side for your thumb that makes it really comfortable to hold in a certain way so that no part of your hand/wrist is dragging around on the mousepad. I thought I wouldn't miss it but it makes all the difference in the world

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You know what has that thumb channel?

G502 :smug:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

henne posted:

I got a zowie ec1a to try something other than a g502, I like it so far. No software is nice, weight is nice, cord is nice, shape is nice. Would recommend.

I wish they had a wireless variant.

I want to move away from Logitech as I cant support their customer support; but also want a wireless mouse.

Sigh

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

You know what has that thumb channel?

G502 :smug:

yeah unfortunately I don't really like much else about it, the design is just too crazy for me. luckily I found you can still get brand new G400S mice on ebay for like $60 so I'm just gonna return the ducky and get one of those. I really wanted to like the ducky, it gets so much right and the PBT plastic is such a great material for a mouse. maybe a few more generations and they'll have ergonomics down hopefully

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

just get a Roccat Kone if you want a true MX518 replacement, slightly smaller, has the thumb channel and is even more comfortable imo

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes, but then you have to own a Roccat.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Roccat has some perfectly good mice and they're not even as expensive as razer stuff. That's not much of a caveat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Varg posted:

just get a Roccat Kone if you want a true MX518 replacement, slightly smaller, has the thumb channel and is even more comfortable imo

I like the Kova+, new Kova, or Kiro shapes. Haven't had my hands on the new Kova though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The saga of my mouse continues. My new G403 arrived today, but amazon sent me the wireless instead of the wired version I ordered. I've never really trusted a wireless mouse for gaming, are they better than 8+ years ago when I last bought a mouse?

Goo posted:

This is what the new dialog will look like. If everything goes well it should go live in the next few days.

I just downloaded and installed this and this is the install screen I saw, so good job Logitech.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 30, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lungboy posted:

The saga of my mouse continues. My new G403 arrived today, but amazon sent me the wireless instead of the wired version I ordered. I've never really trusted a wireless mouse for gaming, are they better than 8+ years ago when I last bought a mouse?

Yes, the new wireless logitech mice perform flawlessly, they have less input latency than most wired mice do. Really the only downside over Wired stuff is the extra weight, since it's ~107g vs ~87g.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes, the new wireless logitech mice perform flawlessly, they have less input latency than most wired mice do. Really the only downside over Wired stuff is the extra weight, since it's ~107g vs ~87g.
Perhaps some, but certainly not mice in the tier it's competing with. That being said, the very best wireless are usable without major concern, but bear in mind using them feels fundamentally different if you're used to wired, because you have no sense of fulcrum to work with (which many people prefer), and they will always need to be charged at some point.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Perhaps some, but certainly not mice in the tier it's competing with.

It absolutely does. It's faster than any Razer or Steelseries mouse, wired or wireless. Pretty sure it's faster than Zowie mice too (which have always been a little slower than Logitech's stuff in general) but I can't find the chart for those right now. I mean the differences at that point are too minor to care anyway, the point is that the wireless is not something you ever have to worry about.

E: Unless you meant Other Logitech wired gaming mice then yes that's obviously true.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 30, 2016

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It absolutely does. It's faster than any Razer or Steelseries mouse, wired or wireless. Pretty sure it's faster than Zowie mice too (which have always been a little slower than Logitech's stuff in general) but I can't find the chart for those right now. I mean the differences at that point are too minor to care anyway, the point is that the wireless is not something you ever have to worry about.

E: Unless you meant Other Logitech wired gaming mice then yes that's obviously true.

I'll enable shill mode to provide some data.

In wireless mode G900 and G403 have a click responsiveness time of between 3-5 milliseconds. The world's most popular non-Logitech gaming mouse is between 8-12. Sensor responsiveness is 2-3 milliseconds faster as well, and increases as DPI increases (so 3200 DPI responds to motion faster than 400 DPI for 3366, but the other sensor is the same at every setting).

In wired mode, they are about 1.2ms faster than they are in wireless on average. Given that no one actually thinks the competitor's product is too slow for gaming, I'm fairly confident telling people that they won't be able to discern a difference.

Goo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 30, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Goo posted:

The world's most popular non-Logitech gaming mouse
This wording makes me think the comparison mouse is going to be a dell pack-in mouse or something. "Sure I game with it, I play lots of spider solitaire"

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Haha. I'm guessing he means the Deathadder though, AFAIK that's the best selling gaming-specific mouse out there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd like to know why none of those times are sub millisecond. Delay from USB & the PC's USB stack? Debouncing? I guess I'm too focused on the embedded world, but 1mS seems like a pretty long time. Not long at all in human reaction terms, of course.

e: My new mouse design won't use USB, it will have a dedicated PCIe card plug into a memory slot.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 30, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I was

I've only used logitech mice since the Zowie EC-1. Goo please sponsor me and send me free overclocked G403 so I can stream sick rocket spam while wearing a black neoprene Logitech jersey

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Got my Logitech G Pro today, wielded left handed. Shame about the side buttons but it feels better than deathadder by a long way. Now I just need it to live longer than 15 months and everything will be peachy.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I have an old Logitech G5. No idea if it's considered nice or not, but I like it. Any recommendations for a newer version along those lines, except with maybe a few more buttons and/or wireless?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
meh, post wasn't that good.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The G403 feels very nice.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

taqueso posted:

I'd like to know why none of those times are sub millisecond. Delay from USB & the PC's USB stack? Debouncing? I guess I'm too focused on the embedded world, but 1mS seems like a pretty long time. Not long at all in human reaction terms, of course.

e: My new mouse design won't use USB, it will have a dedicated PCIe card plug into a memory slot.
Back in the early-mid 90s we used to make a product called the MouseMan Bus that required installation of an ISA board. I guess for people who didn't have any available serial ports left and thought PS/2 was dumb or something.

Debouncing and other error-rejection processing do play a factor in the MCU determining that an action has occurred (so that it doesn't send erroneous reports), but the PC driver stack does not figure into the times I'm quoting as our test equipment for click speed specifically is measuring the delta between "click happens" and "click received by USB analyzer". Also, as mentioned there are things like wireless->USB processing (~1.2ms) that make the wireless versions specifically 3-5ms instead of 2-4ms. I would guess that it could be faster at the expense of power consumption and false inputs, but I think the cons outweigh the pros there.

You are probably now painfully aware that I am not an engineer.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Goo posted:

Still missing the language selector that used to be there up to a few weeks ago. You guys should either add it back in or have Gaming Software detect the system language correctly.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A Series Of Dumb Questions:

I've had a MX518 (I think it's a series 2? opaque bottom) for the past... dunno, 10 years? Lately I've been using an M570 trackball for regular usage, but I still have the MX518 plugged in for playing overwatch.

I'm noticing that my in-game movement is not as smooth as (what I think) my arm movement is. Now, I'm not using the best surface for this; my desk is el cheapo melamine board and the colour's a bit worn in the mouse area from 5 years of usage, and... I don't have a mousepad. It's not totally destroyed or anything, just a bit discoloured from usage.

So, dumb questions time: Do optical mice's sensors get shittier with time/usage? As in, is there any reason to get a new mouse if mine is not failing mechanically or falling apart?

Should I just get a good gamepad and call it a day? Or is it about time to start thinking about buying a new mouse?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
You're more likely to see sudden instantaneous jumps or cutouts in tracking than what you're describing. Try a mouse pad first, if it still feels off you can go shopping for a new mouse.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the g403 a good replacement for an old DeathAdder?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This G600 is silly. It works decently, though my pinky is getting used to a new position. I can literally play an MMO without touching the keyboard, and I think I'll have plenty of buttons for Arma.

The question is, though, how to get g-shift to work. Doesn't seem to in-game.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Is the G Pro the new go-to mouse for a solid gaming/every day use mouse? I'm putting together a new tower, including all the periphs, and the price point is pretty decent.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it's a loving great mouse if you like that classic shape

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am using four mouse the g pro, the g403, rival 300, and the EC2-A. My favorite mouse of the bunch is hands down the EC2-A. I just wish the side buttons were not so spongy. If the G403 was exact same in size and shape as the EC2-A it would be the one.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After using the G600 for a while, I can say I like it. Had to set the button's g-shift binding to g-shift in order to get it to work in-game. As in, the non-shifted AND shifted binding on the button to both be g-shift.

And using all these buttons isn't that hard, just different. I can even grip it relatively normally, as someone who usually claws/fingertips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Green Gloves posted:

I am using four mouse the g pro, the g403, rival 300, and the EC2-A. My favorite mouse of the bunch is hands down the EC2-A. I just wish the side buttons were not so spongy. If the G403 was exact same in size and shape as the EC2-A it would be the one.
How is the G403's shape different from the EC2-A that makes you like it less?