Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
This is a serious game by me JimsonTheBetrayer, Your favorite mafia man.

It is about cats.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790727

JimsonTheBetrayer fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Coming February 2017: The Taming of the Dragon Liceander - A Soldiers Game for 50 players

One player will get to literally be a dragon, and I think that's neat.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

Coming February 2017: The Taming of the Dragon Liceander - A Soldiers Game for 50 players

Dibs on Dragon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm going to launch a soldiers game around end of Jan FYI

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
It's not recruiting but if anyone wants to watch a game of Diplomacy, I've enlisted some mafia dorks to play a round over the coming weeks for a good prize! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791288

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I guess this will be the next mafia game I play

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I just launched a New Japan Pro Wrestling themed game of Mafia! This is actually my first time running a forums Mafia game, after running countless Forum Reality Games on here! Come join/watch!

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791447

I just launched a Jeff Foxworthy themed game of Mafia! This is actually my first time running a Jeff Foxworthy Mafia game, after playing several Forum Reality Games on here! Come join/watch!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm hoping for an Oct 1st start to my Halloween Temple Game So people should grab a buddy and join now!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Vigilante 8, 17-player role madness 1970s car combat

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

I haven't played forums-based mafia in like six years, but I have a one month sabbatical from work and would like to play. Is it cool if I jump in to this game?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aggro posted:

I haven't played forums-based mafia in like six years, but I have a one month sabbatical from work and would like to play. Is it cool if I jump in to this game?

Answering on his behalf: Yes of course :justpost:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aggro posted:

All are welcome!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Aggro posted:

hey I remember you.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

Meanwhile, there's been a murder on the island of Rene. Participate in this Insulting Inquiry and make Decapua great again.

An Insulting Inquiry has concluded with Decapua being made great again (TOWN VICTORY)

Meanwhile, this game is finally happening:

EccoRaven posted:

The Nuns of Nolaisko have been attacked. Will you come to their rescue?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

So, as for a little bit of serious mafia discussion, I'm really drat bad at coming up with setups. I'm sure if I really put my mind to it I could come up with some good ones but as of now I'm pretty garbage!

Do any mods have any tips, methods, strategies, etc. for writing good setups? Or just fun anecdotes about how you came up with a setup regardless of its helpfulness? I want to get myself in a setup-authorship headspace.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Browsing existing setups on the various wikis is always a good start, personally. Another strategy I use is that I like to come up with an interesting interaction between roles, and build the game out from there. (This is distinct from basing the game around a single role, as they will always die Day/Night 1.)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I usually think of a gimmick and figure out how to build a game with that gimmick. I've also made so many setups that I usually just run through old setups following recommendations people made post-game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

I usually think of a gimmick and figure out how to build a game with that gimmick.

Pretty much. Noting of course that the gimmick you've built the game around will be destroyed by the start of D2.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I think that is my biggest problem, that when I try to come up with setups I just try to put roles down instead of the coming up with one role interaction first and going from there.

I will try to think of an interesting role interaction! I want to open a game this month.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it was Tomm? who tried to run a game where one role was the main gimmick and it got killed d1 and things were messed up from there. IMO start with what kind of game you'd like to run, think of 3-5 roles, and branch from there. the reason you see so many mafia games that are based on other forms of media is because it really makes it easy to let the flavor lend a direction (although not dictate) roles

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I think it was Tomm? who tried to run a game where one role was the main gimmick and it got killed d1 and things were messed up from there. IMO start with what kind of game you'd like to run, think of 3-5 roles, and branch from there. the reason you see so many mafia games that are based on other forms of media is because it really makes it easy to let the flavor lend a direction (although not dictate) roles

This got me in trouble once or twice when I was making games. What I ended up doing was basing roles on the flavor and then just randomizing it. Even if it resulted in completely mis-matched roles and flavor it definitely prevented that nasty flavor argument situation. That or come up with good fake claims.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

Yep, I was in that one!

To the topic at hand I can only offer that fake claims and flavor stuff can really derail a game if they aren't handled really well, speaking as a mod who tried to do flavor stuff twice and failed miserably both times. Moving forward I would say 100yrs method makes the most sense at least for alleviating that problem.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

So, as for a little bit of serious mafia discussion, I'm really drat bad at coming up with setups. I'm sure if I really put my mind to it I could come up with some good ones but as of now I'm pretty garbage!

Do any mods have any tips, methods, strategies, etc. for writing good setups? Or just fun anecdotes about how you came up with a setup regardless of its helpfulness? I want to get myself in a setup-authorship headspace.

There are all kinds of ways you can approach Mafia games, what makes it an interesting game is how much freedom you have in bending or breaking conventions. There's no hard and fast rule to writing a good setup, but I'll offer one of my philosophies that I think has helped me make better games in the past.

Simply put, design something that you think would be really fun to play in! You've probably played a couple dozen games by now, so you have a good idea of which things in Mafia games you liked and which you didn't. Personally, I really like town roleblockers. Roleblockers are very powerful and they're traditionally included as part of the scum team, but a town roleblocker can be equally as powerful provided they hit their targets. It's a challenging role to pull off and not an easy one to claim. So I put them in my games.

I also really recommend, from a process standpoint, designing the scum team first and then designing the town around it. If you assign town roles first, you risk putting too much in and leaving scum with not enough roles for them to address everything the town can do. If on the other hand you can design a good scum team, then you know what kind of stuff they can deal with and what sorts of tools the town should have in response.

I think balancing the scum team is very important in general so here are some of my tips:

- The biggest inherent weakness in any Mafia team is that when one of their members die they not only lose that player's role, they lose the ability to have that player nightkill while other players use their roles. So if you give the scum team two roles and a Mafia goon, the scum team functionally loses one of their roles even when the goon dies, because now they have to pick between their roleblocker or their rolecop performing the kill. Keep this in mind when you're designing your setup, as a carefully balanced web of power interactions can be prematurely upset by a Mafia member dying day (or night) 1.

- Consider how useful the scum roles you're including actually are. Some roles are universally and immediately useful, like roleblockers, and scum can use them powerfully. Some roles are situationally useful and reward good intuition, an example is framer where scum will try to get lucky with it. Some roles are useful down the road but can't produce immediate results; rolecops may find juicy kill targets for scum but only one night later, so it's not a particularly strong role for scum dealing with multiple town power roles. Consider the strength of the roles you're including in the game and how they compare to town's abilities.

- Godfathers are necessary to balance the impact of cops but otherwise it's a very boring role. Consider giving your godfather additional benefits such as becoming untrackable when performing the kill (perhaps at the cost of cop investigations), or a hider ability if there are lots of nightkills.

- One-shot abilities like double votes, day kills, extra night kills, or unblockable kills can be very powerful and change the balance of the game drastically for scum if used right. These can be used to "power up" the scum team if the town is already power role heavy, especially in a mini game where your scum team is probably quite small. They are also great surprises for a complacent town when they are saved. Just remember to set limits. An anonymous day vote on lylo is game winning, so is a saved daykill. Feel free to set conditions against their uses on lylo, or you could take those abilities into account as an extra scum win condition and design the rest of the game around that.

- Just assume that players will claim their roles at first opportunity. Scum are inherently disadvantaged in any mass claim scenario because they don't know what other roles and powers are in the game that could catch them in a lie, and they often don't have roles they could honestly claim or demonstrate, or night actions they could honestly claim without scrutiny. So give scum at least a few roles that wouldn't stand out if they claimed it along with the rest of the game. Jailer is a lot easier a role for scum to claim than roleblocker, for instance. You should also have a good proportion of the town be vanilla if you expect the scum to claim vanilla. If your game is role heavy, make absolutely sure that the scum team's potential fake claims don't all fall in the bottom third of useful, pro-town looking abilities.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey ninth I have a game that needs players, if you had the time to write that post I definitely read you have the time to play it!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also I'm trying to fill a temple game. You love temple games!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Wow Ninth, thank you for the feedback! I will keep that in mind! There are a lot of excellent setup tips in there.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Come join Pretty Little Liars mafia, it'll be a great way to find out who your real friends are!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792881

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

BottleKnight posted:

Wow Ninth, thank you for the feedback! I will keep that in mind! There are a lot of excellent setup tips in there.

To add onto TNL, everything can seem "inbalanced" if things go exactly how you don't want them to go, so scrutinizing every role and how it will impact the game is fruitless at times. I think you or anybody that has played mafia can narrow it down to a point where you're in the ballpark of a good balance and cut/add from there.

Personally, I like to try to have the vanilla roles incentive laden (where they don't have powers, but they can do other cool things), while trying to give the mafia interesting / useful roles that aren't super game breaking-ly powerful. If anything, I slightly balance things towards the town as they have way less information between them starting out, and I feel like scum should work together towards a win. But I try to make it where it's a snowball effect in that if the scum play a really solid 4-5 game days, it isn't unraveled by one lynching of them. Of course, some of that is on the players as well.

I also try to throw in two experimental roles in each game that I've either completely made myself, or seen other people use only once or twice before and tweak it, because it's fun to see if new roles could work out for future games and how they play out in the grand scheme of things.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

These insightful posts have gotten my brain ticking, I think I'll have a good setup soon!

In the meantime, I would like to hear some mafia mods' thoughts on adding more setups to the new mafia wiki. (complete with new logo!) One thing I liked as I went through literally every page of the old wiki as I imported it into the new one was how there were these old setups (2008-2010, probably) in there that, while I didn't personally find particularly helpful, I thought were fun tidbits of history. I'm thinking that if mods got more used to creating Wiki pages for their setups, and then putting them in a category (the old categories were Games and Small Games, I think I may just combine those into Setups) where people can peruse for ideas.

It doesn't even have to be abstract, objective setups like C9 or Dethy (though those are on the wiki), I just like the idea of taking those posts that mods post at the end of games with the roles, moddoc, and Director's Commentary (or w/e you want to call it) and putting those in a page on the wiki. I think it could be a genuinely interesting database. Please tell me your thoughts!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i want to run scumbo blues as an open game again

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

EccoRaven posted:

i had a lot of fun playing lovecraft scumafia i will play this

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

ill make a new game that will actually exist unlike eccoravens game dw

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i was a couple lucky breaks from winning as a serial killer in Podima's newbie mafia game in P/C and now i'm hungry for more

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

A Man's League, a 13 player internet forum games experience is open! Beginners are encouraged to join!!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Some experimental roles, new players are very welcome!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

got some chores tonight posted:

A Man's League, a 13 player internet forum games experience is open! Beginners are encouraged to join!!

I just finished up the role PMs; it'd be great if I could get five more by Monday morning so I could start then. :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
PMush's triumphant return to mafia modding!

Clean Poison Mushroom's Room!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Somberbrero posted:

Some experimental roles, new players are very welcome!

Somber makes good games, you should play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

got some chores tonight posted:

the name of this game really should be friends come and go, but this isnt the first time ive made a mistake w/ how i named something

anyway, 3 1 friends left before the game starts!!! (its gonna be off the chain)

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 9, 2016