Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Night10194 posted:

There is something uniquely heroic about facing a nightmare from beyond normal reality and still having time for proper procedure, minimum necessary force, and rule of law.

Nicholas Angel vs Cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Have you ever fired a gun at a cultist screaming 'Ia!"?"
"No, I have never fired a gun at a cultist screaming 'Ia!'."
"How about two guns?"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's suggested that TFV and VASCU don't actually have a lot of personnel exchange, mostly because one of the possible (and stupid) plotlines for TFV is that it's actually funded by a group of powerful vampires and you end up having to clean house. A psychic who can tell when you're lying and force you to answer questions would crack that wide open easily.

And yeah, VASCU still values the law and TFV doesn't. They don't arrest people because they think it's funny, they do it because it's the right thing to do and you don't cut corners just because the perp has superpowers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He was 10 feet tall and a bundle of muscle and claws, how did you ever capture him alive?
It's my job, ma'am.

Dammit you can't just go into a vampire coven guns blazing because you think the perp that nabbed the senators daughter is in there. If you weren't the best dam VASCU I have your rear end would be on the curb, but instead because I got the fuckin Feds so far up my rear end they know what I'm thinking about for breakfast your getting a new partner, and he's a werewolf so don't give me any of your poo poo because it's this or your gun, badge, and holy symbols.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really, we need way more supernatural procedurals.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
With proper series bibles. I'm sick of loose canons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Precinct of Darkness

Police: The Proceduring

Depositions & Dragons

RICO Case: Torment

Crimefinder

Blue Diceless Roleplaying System

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There was a nWoD police sourcebook, Precinct 13 or something along those lines.

Until I actually looked at it, I thought Apocalypse Prevention Inc might be a good source of MIB/supernatural cop mechanics. After having seen it, not so much.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Night10194 posted:

K-9 units with lycanthropic squadmates.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

K-9 units with lycanthropic squadmates.

Well Janson, you cracked the case and you nabbed the suspect without causing a scene. I'm not good at giving compliments so I'm only gonna say this once. You're a good boy, yes you, you're the good boy.

I'm telling you Janson, when I retire I'm buying a doghouse for me and the misses on a farm upstate and I'm just gonna sit on the porch gnawing on bones all day. I know you're not all dog like me, but you understand at some point you gotta stop chasing the bad guys tails and spend your time chasing your own. Only 3 dog weeks till then buddy, so let's close this one out for an old mutt like me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

I just use Unisystem or something.

Always a good choice.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Beast wouldn't have so many creepy, gross issues if it abandoned the whole "teaching lessons" theme, which I'm not convinced is particularly strong or worth saving

It's hilarious because the whole teaching lessons thing was shoehorned in later on to make Beasts more sympathetic after the outcry over the first draft. Before, they were cruel for their own sake, without any real pretension to a higher purpose.

Anyway, I'd totes play a game as a hero whose superpower is committing microagressions against Beasts by Photoshopping new Pepe memes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barudak posted:

He was 10 feet tall and a bundle of muscle and claws, how did you ever capture him alive?
It's my job, ma'am.

Dammit you can't just go into a vampire coven guns blazing because you think the perp that nabbed the senators daughter is in there. If you weren't the best dam VASCU I have your rear end would be on the curb, but instead because I got the fuckin Feds so far up my rear end they know what I'm thinking about for breakfast your getting a new partner, and he's a werewolf so don't give me any of your poo poo because it's this or your gun, badge, and holy symbols.

Fun as VASCU is, they just couldn't have filled the role TFV did in my old Hunter campaign before I moved, where I pitched the opening session as "The president has been kidnapped by vampires. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Night10194 posted:

COPS. But the drunk guy by the side of the highway is a Tremere who's using vampire powers to walk around seven feet off the ground. That disorderly guy CAN break those cuffs when he hulks out into his werewolf warform. Getting called into to break up the domestic dispute between a Vampire and his Ghoul, because the neighbours think they're a bit rowdy. The awful driver that the officers suspect is high? Turns out he's just a mummy from 989BC who never got a license. Then they pick up an ordinary human burglar who gets shoved in the back of the car between the warform werewolf and the mummy. Teenager graffiti artists turn out to be Grey aliens in oversized hoodies.

It'd probably mostly be funny for a few sessions, but I think those sessions would be pretty spectacular.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There's an anthology comic headed up by Alan Moore, called Cinema Purgatorio. One of the stories, Code Pru, is about New York emergency workers who have to deal with everything from Frankenstein's monsters off their meds, to suicidal vampires, to monstrous things with (lysergic) acid for blood. Seems like it might make for good inspiration.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

I'm actually working on something like that, with the addition of jurisdiction friction. "Yes, I am aware that the nightly reoccurrence of Pickett's Charge is occurring in Gettysburg National Military Park, and therefore the responsibility of us Smokies in the National Park Service, but the fact that they are ghosts makes them clearly a problem for the black-robes at the IRS, and better them than us." Even in the Shadow Law Enforcement, where the font used for badge numbers is above your clearance, people are going to fight over who gets the easy collars and who gets the expensive cases.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I was hyped for The Watch TV series, but I'm not sure how that project's going since Sir Pratchett's death.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Night10194 posted:

Trial & Terror: SVU does that sort of thing.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Barudak posted:

Precinct of Darkness

Police: The Proceduring

Depositions & Dragons

RICO Case: Torment

Crimefinder

Blue Diceless Roleplaying System

Claw & Order: Spectral Victims Unit

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
You could probably run InSpectres like that. Have the franchise deal with vampire/undead senescence home, outbreaks of parasites of supernatural creatures, missing apparition cases and attempts to meld portions of the party dimension with the real world without the neighborhood's consent. Integrate the supernatural into the everyday and then have the government put it on the back burner because they make up such a small volume of the constituency.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

megane posted:

Claw & Order: Spectral Victims Unit

:golfclap:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean the best Urban Fantasy game I ever played in I was a Child Services worker who got caught up in some fairy Changeling bullshit and ended up tricking Titania by accident and saving Baltimore while solving occult mysteries by finding the relatively human motives underlying the crimes.

God, that campaign was fun. Being a bureaucrat or civil servant caught up in horror is Good Times.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Night10194 posted:

The Discworld books about Captain Vimes is this, complete with werewolf.

And I kinda think we don't, since they turned Vertigo's Lucifer into a supernatural procedural.

Death Valley was a short-lived MTV series that was basically Brooklyn 99 with supernaturals. It was awesome. Vampirism was treated like drug addiction, with one of the characters' kids getting into it because she thought it was cool. It was really good, used lots of the gags we're brainstorming in this thread, but it doesn't feel like anyone has seen it!

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 2, 2016

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I've said it before, but VASCU is my love letter to police procedurals (since the outline was "Psychic FBI agents. Go."). In my mind, it had to account for agents who run the gamut from DCI Jane Tennyson to John Luther; Columbo to Dave Robicheaux.

It's one of the CofD things I'm happiest with, and I'd love a chance to revisit them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I remember someone saying good Hunter groups can be summarized as a specific fear of monstrous splats. The Union is the fear of the mob, TFV is the fear of The Man, the Aegis Kai Doru and Ascended Ones are the fear that humans aren't as ignorant as you hope they are, the Malleus Maleficarum and the Long Night are the fear that sooner or later God's gonna cut you down, etc. VASCU is the fear that you are not above the law. It doesn't matter what you need to do to survive, it doesn't matter what duties you think you have, in the end all humans will see is a criminal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kavak posted:

I remember someone saying good Hunter groups can be summarized as a specific fear of monstrous splats. The Union is the fear of the mob, TFV is the fear of The Man, the Aegis Kai Doru and Ascended Ones are the fear that humans aren't as ignorant as you hope they are, the Malleus Maleficarum and the Long Night are the fear that sooner or later God's gonna cut you down, etc. VASCU is the fear that you are not above the law. It doesn't matter what you need to do to survive, it doesn't matter what duties you think you have, in the end all humans will see is a criminal.

That was my theory of them all.

I also had Cheiron as the fear that humans are going to prey on *you*.

Also that the crazy devil children are proof that no matter what taint or evil made you, you actually DID have a choice not to be a piece of poo poo, and someone who chose differently is going to bring you to justice.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 2, 2016

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Night10194 posted:

I mean the best Urban Fantasy game I ever played in I was a Child Services worker who got caught up in some fairy Changeling bullshit and ended up tricking Titania by accident and saving Baltimore while solving occult mysteries by finding the relatively human motives underlying the crimes.

God, that campaign was fun. Being a bureaucrat or civil servant caught up in horror is Good Times.

oh my gosh

that both sounds really neat and makes me sad 'cos every changeling-adjacent game i've nosed into has just devolved into fey murderhoboes :sigh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ningyou posted:

oh my gosh

that both sounds really neat and makes me sad 'cos every changeling-adjacent game i've nosed into has just devolved into fey murderhoboes :sigh:

It was a game about a single dad raising his adopted special needs daughter. Just her special needs were that she had been tainted with magical power and weird prophetic dreams by being in the fae realm. He ended up marrying an SVU detective he worked with, buying a house, and raising his daughter to be a functioning, happy adult while solving crimes and fighting giant cockroaches that wore the skins of hobos.

That homebrew was loving awesome and I've pondered trying to make a novel out of Cecil Myron's story. My DMin' buddy in high school was really good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Barudak posted:

Well Janson, you cracked the case and you nabbed the suspect without causing a scene. I'm not good at giving compliments so I'm only gonna say this once. You're a good boy, yes you, you're the good boy.

I'm telling you Janson, when I retire I'm buying a doghouse for me and the misses on a farm upstate and I'm just gonna sit on the porch gnawing on bones all day. I know you're not all dog like me, but you understand at some point you gotta stop chasing the bad guys tails and spend your time chasing your own. Only 3 dog weeks till then buddy, so let's close this one out for an old mutt like me.

Finally, the Tequila & Bonetti rpg we always wanted.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Night10194 posted:

Things like this are why I loved Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Its entire overarching theme was that, for all the supernatural power and age of those who play the game of vampires, at the end of the night they are all pretty much as stupid, petty, divided and delusional as the humans they claim superiority over. The sarcophagus isn't the herald to some big tide of bloodshed, it's an explosive macguffin that only has value because stupidly old people thought it was powerful and couldn't imagine that they were wrong. The supposed big daddy of vampire civilization works as a cabbie. Vampire and vampire-hunter alike are both vulnerable to getting shot. And the game ends with the supposedly secret vampire society blowing the lid off its own hidden coffin because a Napoleonic-era noble two centuries out of time got scared of an upstart threat to his power and sicced his bodyguard on you under the spotlights. Compared to the rest of the WoD of that era, which loved to talk up the greatness of vampires and werewolves and so on, it was a real breath of fresh air.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It's just such a shame about the Chinatown portion of the game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MollyMetroid posted:

It's just such a shame about the Chinatown portion of the game.

Chinatown isn't bad, it's just not as well done as the rest of the game. There are some great sidequests in there, and those are really the lifeblood of bloodlines.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm surprised that's the first thing people bring up, rather than the sewers.

Ironically, I don't actually hate them- I like the story of the sewer workers and the designs of the fleshcrafts.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Things like this are why I loved Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Its entire overarching theme was that, for all the supernatural power and age of those who play the game of vampires, at the end of the night they are all pretty much as stupid, petty, divided and delusional as the humans they claim superiority over. The sarcophagus isn't the herald to some big tide of bloodshed, it's an explosive macguffin that only has value because stupidly old people thought it was powerful and couldn't imagine that they were wrong.
I thought all of that was a well planned feint by Caine and Jack? Like they discovered this could have world ending repercussions, stopped it, and rigged it with a bomb to gently caress with LaCroix for pulling all the evil, backstabbing, poltik, and Tradition breaking nonsense he was up to. Send a message to other rear end hats like him not to pull this poo poo.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Davin Valkri posted:

Things like this are why I loved Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Its entire overarching theme was that, for all the supernatural power and age of those who play the game of vampires, at the end of the night they are all pretty much as stupid, petty, divided and delusional as the humans they claim superiority over. The sarcophagus isn't the herald to some big tide of bloodshed, it's an explosive macguffin that only has value because stupidly old people thought it was powerful and couldn't imagine that they were wrong. The supposed big daddy of vampire civilization works as a cabbie. Vampire and vampire-hunter alike are both vulnerable to getting shot. And the game ends with the supposedly secret vampire society blowing the lid off its own hidden coffin because a Napoleonic-era noble two centuries out of time got scared of an upstart threat to his power and sicced his bodyguard on you under the spotlights. Compared to the rest of the WoD of that era, which loved to talk up the greatness of vampires and werewolves and so on, it was a real breath of fresh air.

It's why I always felt that Bloodlines felt more like a Requiem game than a Masquerade one.

(It's really a shame Requiem isn't getting a video game.)

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

quote:

Hero Slang
"Dude, you popped your cherry with your soulmate? Sweet!"

Younger Heroes have developed an argot all their own surrounding their lifestyles. This slang, while not particularly discreet, makes talking about hunting the Children a little less conspicuous to unsuspecting bystanders.

Anonymous: A group of humans a Hero enlists as his or her personal army to help kill a Beast.
Aquaman: A Hero who specializes in killing Makara. Applies to any gender of Hero.
Ballroom Blitz: A fatal confrontation between a brood of Beasts and a band of Heroes.
Captain America: A Nemesis' Hero.
Cherry: The Beast who becomes the Hero’s first kill. Frequently used in the phrase “pop one’s cherry,” as in gaining one’s first kill.
Creeper: A Namtaru.
Crusader Rabbit: A male Hero who exclusively hunts Beasts targeting women.
David: A Hero who specializes in killing Anakim. Originates from the story of David and Goliath.
Ding/level up/notch the bedpost: To kill a Beast and gain a Gift.
Dude/girl in a cape: (derogatory) A Hero who espouses and frequently waxes
poetic about an idealist code of ethics.
Do: (verb) To kill a Beast. Example: “Dude, Sherry did that Swamp Thing last week, man. She’s smelled like bong water ever since.”
Family Guy: (derogatory) A Hero who still lives with or maintains contact with his or her family. Applies to any gender of Hero.
Flyboy/Flygirl: A Hero who specializes in killing Ugallu.
Hercules: A Hero with twelve confirmed kills. Originates from the twelve labors of the mythical demigod.
Leroy: A Predator's Hero, especially ones who charge into battle without thinking.
Master Splinter/Obi-Wan: A veteran Hero who teaches younger, inexperienced Heroes.
Musashi: A Hero with several kills originating from single combat.
Ninja: An Eshmaki.
Packrat: A Collector's Hero.
Pirate: A Hero who specializes in killing Eshmaki.
Plague Doctor: A Hero who specializes in killing Namtaru.
Quest: An individual Hero’s journey, either short-term or long-term.
Recruiter: A Tyrant's Hero.
Ronin: A Ravager's Hero.
Sauron: An Anakim.
Spoon-Fed: A Hero who gained one or more kills with help from other Heroes who let him or her have the kill.
Soulmate: The Beast who provoked the hunter response for a given Hero. Veteran Heroes particularly dislike this one.
Swamp Thing: A Makara.

Maybe a bit late to comment on this, but it's the funniest thing I've ever seen in anything WoD related. If I ever get around to make a WoD-style parody game*, I'll be happy to make something even half as silly.

(What gets me especially is "Ballroom Blitz". Now I want to make a character - preferrably a Hunter - who hums this constantly during shootouts - preferrably against Beasts.)

( *) Currently a toss-up between Mahou: The Shoujoing and Tumblr: The Privilege. The latter only uses a single stat for everything. Guess what it's called?)

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

It's why I always felt that Bloodlines felt more like a Requiem game than a Masquerade one.

(It's really a shame Requiem isn't getting a video game.)

Bloodlines is very late-era VTM Revised, so it comes from that period where someone somewhere had realized that vampires work really well as bickering organised crime syndicates who deal in power and blood. That's something that was carried over to the lightning-focused VTR.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. FATAL is 1200 pages long? That was the most shocking, spit-take-iest thing to come out of the latest System Mastery. Seriously, what the poo poo?

2. RPPR did a tongue-in-cheek review of Phoenix Command in their Afterhours subscriber podcast, and I felt like a big old grognard resenting them the whole time because I actually "get" Phoenix Command and would've wanted the chance to play it in all earnest. I even had a scenario sketched out as an intro to a totally-not-Jagged-Alliance setting.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. FATAL is 1200 pages long? That was the most shocking, spit-take-iest thing to come out of the latest System Mastery. Seriously, what the poo poo?

Honestly not surprised between the huge randomized tables, way too many stats, and the ridiculous complex maths you're expected to use. And I noticed - and used to be guilty of it when I was younger that there's a tendency to conflate length with quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

2. RPPR did a tongue-in-cheek review of Phoenix Command in their Afterhours subscriber podcast, and I felt like a big old grognard resenting them the whole time because I actually "get" Phoenix Command and would've wanted the chance to play it in all earnest. I even had a scenario sketched out as an intro to a totally-not-Jagged-Alliance setting.

Heck, I don't actually know. That might be hyperbole. I know it's unreasonably big.