Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Godzilla's pretty anti-neutral throughout the film, what with the being driven to exterminate the Muto with extreme prejudice and what-not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Improbable Lobster posted:

Instead you're just gonna passive-aggressively bitch about how no one agrees with you

Nope.

e: and I'll just say that the "Raids Again" suit has recently become one of my favorites, for reasons which should be obvious:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 25, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I was a kid I wanted to be Godzilla when I grew up. Did anyone else feel that way?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I definitely wanted to be the guy in the suit, being too young and dumb to realize what a horrorshow that job actually is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Raxivace posted:

When I was a kid I wanted to be Godzilla when I grew up. Did anyone else feel that way?

I'm the opposite, the onset of adulthood has only awakened my lust for mass destruction

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

godzilla: the teen years

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

mandatory lesbian posted:

godzilla: the teen years

Yup! Or alternately, if Alfred E. Neuman was a giant mutated dinosaur thing.

It's too bad, because the costume almost works: it looks okay from certain angles, and if you squint there's an even more demonic, unsettling countenance there than the '54 had. But whether it was the drive to slim it down, time constraints, or just a general lingering lack of expertise, it doesn't quite cut the mustard. Still, I don't think it's the ugliest suit in the series by a long shot.

e: there were actually two of these suits. One was made after the fact and shipped overseas to the studio doing the American localization that became "Gigantis the Fire Monster." Don't know offhand whether that suit was actually used or even if photographs exist (the guy who was supposed to wear it claims it was made to fit someone about two-thirds his size.)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 25, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Have some Godzilla bloopers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3oKqbQg33A -Showa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPXUq9wr1E -Heisei

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bimmi posted:

e: there were actually two of these suits. One was made after the fact and shipped overseas to the studio doing the American localization that became "Gigantis the Fire Monster." Don't know offhand whether that suit was actually used or even if photographs exist (the guy who was supposed to wear it claims it was made to fit someone about two-thirds his size.)

They didn't end up using the suits shipped for Gigantis, but years ago, G-Fan did an article about them, with a photo from a wearhouse when they got shipped. They definitely looked different than in Raids Again, especially Anguirus who had far more spikes. They're one of the great legends of Kaiju film, in that nobody knows what happened to the suits, they just kinda disappeared.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Cool. Was fairly sure that was a real story and not just something that came to me in a drug-fueled haze, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Speaking of suits, see what happens when Toho just lets these beautiful, beautiful monster suits rot away:

http://imgur.com/a/OarLM

One of those pics is of those modified "Raids Again" suits that were supposed to be shipped overseas.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's the black and white one under the Zone Fighter picture.

Another legend that's less confirmable that G-Fan had an article on is that there are pictures that suggest a brand new Baragon suit was actually made for Destroy All Monsters and just not used for some reason.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Some of those are in better shape than one might expect, assuming most of them were probably 20+ years old at the time.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dylazodelan posted:

Speaking of suits, see what happens when Toho just lets these beautiful, beautiful monster suits rot away:

http://imgur.com/a/OarLM

One of those pics is of those modified "Raids Again" suits that were supposed to be shipped overseas.
What's the winged lion?

And is it actually possible to preserve these suits? I thought the latex breaks down over time.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

david_a posted:

What's the winged lion?

Latitude Zero, which I would really like to see someday.

quote:

And is it actually possible to preserve these suits? I thought the latex breaks down over time.

Depends on the exact materials used: a lot of the newer suits seem to be in relatively worse shape than the older ones.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I'm really surprised by how the GMK looks like its completely dead vs. the newer ones.

Gonna put the Godzilla over the years pic in the OP. Anything else I should cover?

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I watched Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla tonight because I hadn't seen it in a few years. Might be another few years before I watch it again. A lot of the movie's flaws are explained by the fact that Toho picked a guy whose only credits are basically "Japanese Days of Our Lives" to direct it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Bimmi posted:

Nope.

e: and I'll just say that the "Raids Again" suit has recently become one of my favorites, for reasons which should be obvious:

:madmax:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Got to watch it last night in less than ideal circumstances. A friend reviews movies for a small website and was given access to a screener online. Despite all of the issues, and there were many, I really liked it. My son liked it too except for the end he was very angry that Godzilla "died", even though this was a "bad" Godzilla. The first third or so really hammers at the Fukushima and Tepco angle, not to mention questioning Japan's rigid adherence to titles and formal hierarchies.

This director, like Gareth Edwards, understands that if you want people to be awestruck by something big, the best way to do it is to either be very low and close looking up, or pulled very far back so that you can see the monster's size in relation to the carnage it has caused. There's a ton of shots where Godzilla takes up a tiny portion of the screen, but he is the head of a massive trail of burning ruins that underlines the damage he is doing.

The movie does have a lot of bureaucratic scenes yet without (mostly) the hilariously goofy science of most Godzilla movies. If the movie can be divided into three major attack sequences with politicians and scientists doing their thing in between, the gap between the second and third does drag a bit.

The effects are top notch, no-apology-necessary stuff.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

This director, like Gareth Edwards, understands that if you want people to be awestruck by something big, the best way to do it is to either be very low and close looking up, or pulled very far back so that you can see the monster's size in relation to the carnage it has caused. There's a ton of shots where Godzilla takes up a tiny portion of the screen, but he is the head of a massive trail of burning ruins that underlines the damage he is doing.
I'd hope Anno has the hang of that, even given the differences between anime and live action, considering he's been directing giant robot and monster poo poo since 1988 (and doing some of the animation for the Giant Warrior in Nausicaa).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Glad to have Godzilla back to being a political beast. I always liked him best in that capacity.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

KiteAuraan posted:

I'd hope Anno has the hang of that, even given the differences between anime and live action, considering he's been directing giant robot and monster poo poo since 1988 (and doing some of the animation for the Giant Warrior in Nausicaa).

If you hadn't figured it out, I've never seen any of his other stuff. :)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

KiteAuraan posted:

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If you hadn't figured it out, I've never seen any of his other stuff. :)

Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo bodes well, and is only 10 minutes: https://vimeo.com/64987176

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Got my ticket. Opening day first showing out in Arizona. Can't wait.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

Got my ticket. Opening day first showing out in Arizona. Can't wait.

Where at? My screening is Tues. 11th at the Scottsdale Studio Movie Grill.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Where at? My screening is Tues. 11th at the Scottsdale Studio Movie Grill.

Digiplex Surprise. It's the closest one to where I live, though I haven't been in years so I have no idea how nice it is these days. All the Google reviews are just bitching about concession prices and quality so LOL @ that.

Edit: LOL apparently it's a filthy dump. I wonder if it's too late to just change my tickets to FilmBar or some nicer theatre...

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 2, 2016

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo bodes well, and is only 10 minutes: https://vimeo.com/64987176

Shin Gojira is very Evangelion in both plot points and tempo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wow, can't believe you spoiled everyone turning into tang in the new godzilla film

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

Digiplex Surprise. It's the closest one to where I live, though I haven't been in years so I have no idea how nice it is these days. All the Google reviews are just bitching about concession prices and quality so LOL @ that.

Edit: LOL apparently it's a filthy dump. I wonder if it's too late to just change my tickets to FilmBar or some nicer theatre...

If tickets are still on sale at SMG, get on them. Tickets are only $5 and it's one of those places that'll serve you a legit dinner. Much closer than the FilmBar to Surprise.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

wow, can't believe you spoiled everyone turning into tang in the new godzilla film

It's not the same plot, but the basic structure is the same. It's not spoiling it at all to say it's basically Evangelion re-imagined as a Kaiju film.
Which is to say, not at all the same film or story, and yet...It's very interesting, but I'm pretty confident in saying people are liking it because it's a great film by the director of Evangelion---not because it's a great Godzilla film. Saying more would be spoilerish, so I won't.

But yes, everyone does turn into tang because they can't please their father. It's a real pity. ;)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When does this come out on Blu Ray? I have no days off work that week so there's zero chance of me seeing it. Why can't they have early showings? drat you Godzilla.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barto posted:

It's not the same plot, but the basic structure is the same. It's not spoiling it at all to say it's basically Evangelion re-imagined as a Kaiju film.
Which is to say, not at all the same film or story, and yet...It's very interesting, but I'm pretty confident in saying people are liking it because it's a great film by the director of Evangelion---not because it's a great Godzilla film. Saying more would be spoilerish, so I won't.

But yes, everyone does turn into tang because they can't please their father. It's a real pity. ;)

i was kidding you.i knew you didn't mean the exact plot :p

interesting you bring up it being evangelion reimagined tho, the later episodes of eva are basically 30 minute kaiju films, especially once it becomes clear the evas are all living beings. and in EOE the fight between Asuka and the Mass-Produced Evas is shot like a kaiju fight, tho massively faster then fights in any of the Zilla fims

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Booked my tickets, 15th of October at Glendale Cinema @ 6:45pm, if any ausgoons are going there and then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I guess this isn't playing every day? I have dates for 2 Wednesdays and 1 Monday. :/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bimmi posted:

Greatest Godzilla sequence is the first ten minutes of 2002. Also, please dig trailer of same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cotXakan9ng

This made me realize I never saw this or SOS. In fact the Millennium series is one that I've mostly forgotten about. It didn't help that I find Final Wars to be garbage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

I guess this isn't playing every day? I have dates for 2 Wednesdays and 1 Monday. :/

Worse than that, it's not playing at any times other than late. Kinda sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It didn't help that I find Final Wars to be garbage.

Um sorry but Final Wars has Don Frye which puts it at least on the top 5 Godzilla films.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Um sorry but Final Wars has Don Frye which puts it at least on the top 5 Godzilla films.

Also, Gary Goodridge and Funaki.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love the sheer spectacle of over-the-top stupidity of Final Wars. It's probably quite literally what my 12 year old Godzilla fan mind thought should be in a Godzilla film and it's glorious. It's something right out of the Showa age, but with 100x the budget and an insane person directing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jimbot posted:

I love the sheer spectacle of over-the-top stupidity of Final Wars. It's probably quite literally what my 12 year old Godzilla fan mind thought should be in a Godzilla film and it's glorious. It's something right out of the Showa age, but with 100x the budget and an insane person directing it.

It has a hilarious charm that lets me at least overlook how awful the entire plot and film structure is. I would agree with your assessment for sure, it is like some mad Kaiju fever dream you aren't sure is real or not.