Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly that rubber banding seems a bit weak to my civ v brain, will have to see obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That Russia info is far from confirmed, but if it were real then the ability to claim extra land when a city is settled is already good enough. Let us remember the Shoshone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Human Crouton posted:

That Russia info is far from confirmed, but if it were real then the ability to claim extra land when a city is settled is already good enough. Let us remember the Shoshone.

This land is your land, this land is my land. No, wait, it's just mine. All of it.

-The Shoshone, probably

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Snapping up luxuries and strategics four tiles out on a new city plop, plus four production tundra forrest tiles is kinda massive. Great in the early game to save money not buying tiles, awesome mid to late game for extremely 'gently caress you' forward settling.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

God I really, really hope they've nerfed Industrialisation in the final game compared to the preview build. It comes way too early and cheap for something that powerful and goddamnit you should not have the Ruhr Valley Coal Mines directly adjacent to the Venetian Arsenal in the tech tree.

Edit: Seriously. Just move it to the second tier of Industrial techs rather than the first. Having Factories available that quickly is entirely too powerful.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 2, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

This land is your land, this land is my land. No, wait, it's just mine. All of it.

-The Shoshone, probably

The song is the same, the record just skips on "this land is my land" five or six times every chorus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

And grabbing more land for free when they do stuff with Great People. Certainly appropriate for Russia's abilities to be based around "What's mine is mine. What's yours is also mine."

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

OH WHAT IN THE gently caress?! The tech tree in 6 has Electricity, Radio, Chemistry AND Combustion located AFTER Flight.

I'm so going to have to figure out how to mod this poo poo. You should not be unlocking loving planes and airfields before you can even drill for oil!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Well when you put it that way *cancels preorder*

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
lots of people saying the ai looks pretty bad, not that 5 was too hot. At least it'll be themed in a neat way

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Well when you put it that way *cancels preorder*

I know it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and it's probably the autism talking but it really does bother me.

I'll probably just figure out how to mod the tech tree on release and rename/shuffle things a little.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Perhaps biplanes require oil, thus limiting players to observation balloons until combustion is also discovered?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Banana Man posted:

lots of people saying the ai looks pretty bad, not that 5 was too hot. At least it'll be themed in a neat way

I can tolerate the AI being bad at 1UPT, but dear god please just make the AI fun and worth interacting with again. My biggest grip about Civ 5's diplomacy was it just seemed like something that happened to you occasionally, not something you could really manipulate and get involved in. Civ 4 was all about the triangle diplomacy and it was great.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I can tolerate the AI being bad at 1UPT, but dear god please just make the AI fun and worth interacting with again. My biggest grip about Civ 5's diplomacy was it just seemed like something that happened to you occasionally, not something you could really manipulate and get involved in. Civ 4 was all about the triangle diplomacy and it was great.

Civ 6 is trying to do this with the Agendas system. In addition to the hidden personality sliders that determine their behaviour each AI also now has a unique personality quirk that factors into how much they like you. Pericles HATES it if you try to get involved with a City State he's invested in, Mvemba gets extremely pissed if you DON'T try to spread your religion to him etc etc.

They also randomly roll a second, hidden agenda every game that you have to determine through play. You can't see it when you meet them, unlike their regular agenda which remains static from game to game.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Anybody have any fun challenges or alternate methods of play? I just did a cultural victory* without making great works and that was pretty fun.

*started in atomic era

Terra map as Polynesia; spend the first 20+ turns crossing the ocean with your starting settler & warrior. You get a massive continent all to yourself while everyone else is sardine'd together in the old world; but to balance it you're way behind on tech and your land is v. short on lux and trading partners. It was really fun!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Terra map as Polynesia; spend the first 20+ turns crossing the ocean with your starting settler & warrior. You get a massive continent all to yourself while everyone else is sardine'd together in the old world; but to balance it you're way behind on tech and your land is v. short on lux and trading partners. It was really fun!

Oh yeah I've done that a bit, played with raging barbs to make the new continent a bit more rugged, haven't finished that save though.

Also just realized I posted that in the wrong thread.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Play as the Aztecs (or Germany) on a tilted axis map with raging barbs, and once your position is consolidated send raiding parties into the endless north to make culture/armies.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm assuming that at least part of the bad ai can be attributed to the review copies being locked on Prince

Though the AI's refusal to cede captured cities when you're about to wipe them off the planet is a bit silly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It depends on what you mean by "bad AI." Civ 5's combat AI was easy to abuse on all difficulties because of its inability to prioritize targets, so it's not an unsafe bet to assume that it'll have the same tactical flaws whether you're playing on Settler or Deity. If you're talking about like general building priority and their ability to execute their agendas, that's something that gets solved on higher difficulties because the AI's income bonuses makes its economy strong enough to do things like field an army and launch effective invasions if only through sheer number.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of "my immersion!", the Dead Sea is a natural wonder in this, and apparently it counts as a source of sweetwater for the purposes of housing. :crossarms:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of "my immersion!", the Dead Sea is a natural wonder in this, and apparently it counts as a source of sweetwater for the purposes of housing. :crossarms:

Is sweetwater a vernacular thing or did you mean freshwater and got auto-corrected.

Also yes, it does. It's the Ghandi of natural wonders.

vvv interesting, I've never heard it used that way before vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 2, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sometimes fresh water is called "sweet" water. It's archaic but it exists.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Perestroika posted:

Sounds like someone's a little... salty :v:

...I'll leave now

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe no one took a look at the civilopedia, only that russian guy (and probably only because it hasn't been revealed yet), show us gorgo, come on!!!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Speedball posted:

I looked that up, and learned something today. Pretty cool.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 2, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Speedball posted:

I looked that up, and learned something today. Pretty cool.

"Fresh water" is basically "pineapple" all over again as nearly every European language that isn't English calls it "sweet water" instead, so they probably just typed that out of habit.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Perestroika posted:

Considering how long it took Firaxis to patch civ 5 so that the lake natural wonders counted as water sources for surrounding tiles, this is very par the course and you should expect it to be corrected several years after release.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I didn't age particularly well but also it's just one of those things people form Strong Opinions about so it can get kind of irritating if you're not on board.

It's just when someone says it's "THE BEST EVERYTHING EVER" i cringe because the game has so much loving terrible about it, sharing a bunch of flaws with civ2.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I can't believe no one took a look at the civilopedia, only that russian guy (and probably only because it hasn't been revealed yet), show us gorgo, come on!!!

It@s because the Civilopedia is cut down for the preview. Any civs not in the build aren't there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hey, something neat just popped up in one of the streams: The Roman Legionnaire can not only build forts and roads, he can also actually repair damaged districts and tile improvements. Like with builders, this doesn't even take up their build charge, so they can do that an unlimited amount of times. Given how important districts and pillaging seems to be, combined with the relative rarity of builders, that seems like a really useful ability. It'll allow you to get a recently-conquered city back into top shape without having to cart a builder all the way to the front lines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is Norway's music literally just Scarborough Fair?

https://youtu.be/kb91npO7FG4?t=8m23s

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

OwlFancier posted:

Why is Norway's music literally just Scarborough Fair?

https://youtu.be/kb91npO7FG4?t=8m23s

That's the English theme.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I love it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are there any vids showing off more civ's themes? Ideally without dudes with anyone voices talking at twice the volume.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was on the fence about preordering, but that soundtrack video finally tipped over to getting the GMG offer at least.

My first playthrough is probably going to be Arabia. More science, plus guaranteed great prophet seems like the best way to experience most of the game when you are just starting and are not familiar with all the subsystems.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
After watching a few videos from various youtubers (most of which are horribly annoying to listen to I must say), I gotta say that I'm now way more excited about this game than I thought I'd be when it was first announced. It doesn't feel barebones at all, there are actually a lot of mechanics in it, lots of choices to make. Didn't expect the game to feel so... full at release mechanics-wise.

On the other hand, I'm really disappointed in how the AI has handled itself in the videos I've watched. It still looks pretty drat helpless unfortunately.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The AI also seems to be just a little schizophrenic at times when it comes to the agendas, at least in this build. In one stream, a guy had Kongo as his closest neighbour. At one point the player created a religion (as the very first civ in game), and literally the very next turn Mvemba bitches at him for not having it spread to any Kongolese cities, which some turns later even escalated into a denunciation (though on that note, it's nice that now the game explicitly tells you why you're being denounced). Eventually the player did manage to get a missionary over there, and Mvemba actually immediately praised that. But then some three or so turns after that, Mvemba once again turned around and bitched him out because apparently it still wasn't spreading fast enough.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
How do citizens interact with districts? Some districts say they have yield per citizen, which implies you can assign multiple to them, but I've not seen any streamers doing it. On the Citizen management screen they just show as any other tile without any hint of assigning multiple people.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I *think* I saw some streamer assign several people to a district/building (not sure which) but he just did it to show that it could be done. Not sure who it was. But yeah, haven't seen anyone actually make use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Perestroika posted:

The AI also seems to be just a little schizophrenic at times when it comes to the agendas, at least in this build. In one stream, a guy had Kongo as his closest neighbour. At one point the player created a religion (as the very first civ in game), and literally the very next turn Mvemba bitches at him for not having it spread to any Kongolese cities, which some turns later even escalated into a denunciation (though on that note, it's nice that now the game explicitly tells you why you're being denounced). Eventually the player did manage to get a missionary over there, and Mvemba actually immediately praised that. But then some three or so turns after that, Mvemba once again turned around and bitched him out because apparently it still wasn't spreading fast enough.

To be honest, if I was playing as Kongo I would also be pissed if my neighbor was denying me a religion bonus.