Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Changing the Steam launch shortcut properties to Start In the game directory rather than the /bin directory inside it seems to have made it Steam compliant. Cant take screenshots though :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rush Limbo posted:

Noooo. I keel him.

Anyway my idea was that it was to be called The Dark Hollow because that's what it is, and what it was supposed to be called before it was cut from SoC.

Yo DDraig, Is the Epic Stalker site down or am I doing something wrong?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MariusLecter posted:

Yo DDraig, Is the Epic Stalker site down or am I doing something wrong?

Works for me. epicstalker.com

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Are anomalies supposed to be devoid of artifacts in CoC? I once found a crystal in an anomaly at Garbage but otherwise I've only found artifacts on dead stalkers (BTW it is cool how sometimes a stalker will announce on the radio that he's found an artifact and if you track him down he'll actually have it in his inventory). Stashes also seem pretty barren, almost always just having a paltry bit of ammo and medical supplies. It's also seems kinda funny that mercenaries are neutral to loners. I've been so used to them just being better equipped bandits but I guess they've become good guys and now wild territory and dead city are just about the safest places in the zone.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^ im also having that problem. the only artifact i found was from a quest reward.

so playing coc with arsenal overhual, is every gun not chambered in 7.62 or 9x39 supposed to be completely worthless against humans? even when im using armor piercing bullets with the ak74 or m16 it takes like 10 shots to down a dude if im shooting their chests, and these are for bandits. its even more ridiculous when im fighting dudes with actual armor like the military.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not sure if I've expressed it before, but I was disappointed with AO3 and how badly they seemingly implemented it into COC. Some things were just straight up not done properly.

This was so bad that COC actually included, in its own patches, functionality for AO3 to work properly.

I'm not sure if AO3 has a new version for COC 1.4 but I suspect many of the problems people are getting with AO3 are due to them half assing it.

There was a fan port before the official one that actually looked at COC and how various scripts etc use them and actually created a fairly competent port. Far better integrated than the official one.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

^ im also having that problem. the only artifact i found was from a quest reward.

so playing coc with arsenal overhual, is every gun not chambered in 7.62 or 9x39 supposed to be completely worthless against humans? even when im using armor piercing bullets with the ak74 or m16 it takes like 10 shots to down a dude if im shooting their chests, and these are for bandits. its even more ridiculous when im fighting dudes with actual armor like the military.

You find Artifacts on dead dudes a good bit of the time, since they were off wandering and are immune to anomalies themselves.

Also, yeah I was gonna say the AO3 thing seems... farty. Lack of any attachable scopes for NATO guns past the ACOG for instance really sucks, since I'd love to make my SCAR-H into a marksman variant.

Big problem with the 5.56 and 5.45 is that they are at a Power level of like 0.40, compared to loving 0.80 for 7.62x51/54 that the NATO Battle rifles and Dragunov use. 6.8mm SPC is 0.7 or 0.75. So idk why they didnt just round up 5.56 and 5.45 a bit to 0.6 power, rather than 0.4. Penetration drops off massively at range too it seems. Though for the 5.56/5.45 rifles, using the AP ammo yields much much better results than the default poo poo.

And that doesnt even start on the weird SMG/pistol damage problems. 4.7mm and 5.7mm are absolutely useless, even versus modest armor. I thought their gimmick was meant to be good armor-piercing qualities, but poor post-penetration wounds. Here, you get the latter only :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 30, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gobblecoque posted:

Are anomalies supposed to be devoid of artifacts in CoC? I once found a crystal in an anomaly at Garbage but otherwise I've only found artifacts on dead stalkers (BTW it is cool how sometimes a stalker will announce on the radio that he's found an artifact and if you track him down he'll actually have it in his inventory). Stashes also seem pretty barren, almost always just having a paltry bit of ammo and medical supplies. It's also seems kinda funny that mercenaries are neutral to loners. I've been so used to them just being better equipped bandits but I guess they've become good guys and now wild territory and dead city are just about the safest places in the zone.

I, myself, like playing as a merc. You've got a decent amount of groups you can go maul and are relatively alright with loners, non faction traders and ecologists. Plus I love playing in the Dead City but I hate having to resweep it constantly if I play a different faction.
The biggest issue I had so far is friendly fire. Had to pass through Rostok and came in from Garbage. Took out the Duty sentries and started meeting the main force inside the "Get out of here stalker" building since I could get them to bunch up by the other doorway while I had plenty of cover. Middle of the firefights Loners constantly come in to start searching bodies, and once one gets blasted, now they all come to womp on your rear end too.
Actually had General Veronin come out one play through and dumped him down by the sentry post. That feature's kinda neat that he won't always stand in one spot while you curbstomp Duty. Also love that they're fairly quick to chase you down now, you don't have to wait for them to bumble around back and forth for cover as they try to find you.
Still don't like that mutants spawn like mad at the other end of Rostok. Usually when I do go there it's because I'm limping back with badly damaged stuff and a firefight with a pack of dogs/pseudodogs/bloodsuckers/those goddamned loving cats is really not a fun thing to have.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I also have been meh on CoC 1.4 and i have AO3 installed, in 1.3 i had stcop i think and that was great aside from some mutant spawning issues imo

Also stashes having broken weapons is bullshit :mad:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

You find Artifacts on dead dudes a good bit of the time, since they were off wandering and are immune to anomalies themselves.

Also, yeah I was gonna say the AO3 thing seems... farty. Lack of any attachable scopes for NATO guns past the ACOG for instance really sucks, since I'd love to make my SCAR-H into a marksman variant.

Big problem with the 5.56 and 5.45 is that they are at a Power level of like 0.40, compared to loving 0.80 for 7.62x51/54 that the NATO Battle rifles and Dragunov use. 6.8mm SPC is 0.7 or 0.75. So idk why they didnt just round up 5.56 and 5.45 a bit to 0.6 power, rather than 0.4. Penetration drops off massively at range too it seems. Though for the 5.56/5.45 rifles, using the AP ammo yields much much better results than the default poo poo.

And that doesnt even start on the weird SMG/pistol damage problems. 4.7mm and 5.7mm are absolutely useless, even versus modest armor. I thought their gimmick was meant to be good armor-piercing qualities, but poor post-penetration wounds. Here, you get the latter only :(

The .45 hydroshocks are really good at least. I have been using a Glock 21 and it even dropped an exoskeleton within one poorly aimed magazine. I just picked up an FNP45, which will be pretty awesome with the extra 2 rounds and the suppressor height sights.

If you can pick up an SMG in .45, that would probably be the best SMG option. Penetration and damage multiplier is better than 10mm, and it's best penetration and damage are on the same type of ammo.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Rush Limbo posted:

I'm not sure if I've expressed it before, but I was disappointed with AO3 and how badly they seemingly implemented it into COC. Some things were just straight up not done properly.

This was so bad that COC actually included, in its own patches, functionality for AO3 to work properly.

I'm not sure if AO3 has a new version for COC 1.4 but I suspect many of the problems people are getting with AO3 are due to them half assing it.

There was a fan port before the official one that actually looked at COC and how various scripts etc use them and actually created a fairly competent port. Far better integrated than the official one.

Well not to mention the FOV model clipping issues i'm having now, and haven't in the past. There are also indications on the models that make me feel like they slacked off in updating/polishing them.

That and the whole thing about the ammo being poorly represented. Seriously an mp7 or p90 should be pretty lethal up to 200 meters, as long as you tag them more than a few times.. Everyone in the zone IS covered in armor. Maybe make the initial damage small but open up a pretty gaping wound?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 1, 2016

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Game is still missing nagant revolvers, now how will I cosplay my Russian Revolution character in the Zone

In all seriousness, I'm done with AO3 until it gets patched. Damage is hosed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

all the new weapons are cool, but man is it incredibly frustrating unloading into a bandit with the same ak he has, barely stagger him and then get 1 shot from his.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

all the new weapons are cool, but man is it incredibly frustrating unloading into a bandit with the same ak he has, barely stagger him and then get 1 shot from his.

/Misery 2.0

You'll find that in the Zone, bandits are so over-exposed to Eastern-bloc culture that it has less of an effect on them emotionally, as well as kinetically!!!

/end Misery 2.0

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Missing Name posted:

Game is still missing nagant revolvers, now how will I cosplay my Russian Revolution character in the Zone

In all seriousness, I'm done with AO3 until it gets patched. Damage is hosed.

Yeah seriously, two slugs to the dome of a psuedodog and somehow it runs up and two hits me instead loving christ. Shooting stalkers is pointless unless you go for headshots only

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fellis posted:

Yeah seriously, two slugs to the dome of a psuedodog and somehow it runs up and two hits me instead loving christ. Shooting stalkers is pointless unless you go for headshots only

9x39, 7.62x39 or higher will actually kill dudes with 3ish chest shots. but yeah, good luck using any other ammo type.

seriously, the normal 7.62x39 round has twice the ap of the normal 5.45/5.56. why even bother?

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 1, 2016

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

9x39, 7.62x39 or higher will actually kill dudes with 3ish chest shots. but yeah, good luck using any other ammo type.

I've been trying to use shotguns and pistols more for some extra challenge because 6ish years of headshotting stalkers with 4x scoped assault rifles is boring, but the guns just plain not being effective is another thing. Especially when everything was working fine with another mod pack in 1.3, its too jarring.

Like why put in all these rando guns and ammo types if they all suck rear end modders. Sure I'll use a .357 revolver, oh wait the ammo is 10k rb for a box of 20? lol

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So how exactly do I uninstall AO3?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Azran posted:

So how exactly do I uninstall AO3?

Just delete your gamedata folder.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Fellis posted:

I managed to one shot a pseuodog with at toz, but it's really weird that tushkanos hit harder than blind dogs

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
I really would like to play with a ton of guns so I've taken to hand changing a bunch of variables in the weapons.ltx. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just copy/paste as much as I can from the OWR files, and I probably might also up the player resistances in actor.ltx

I'm also thinking of using [url="https:////www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/my-preferred-configuration"]this[/url] addon which ups the hit_power values for all the weapons but I'm not so sure about it.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/my-preferred-configuration

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I liked the variety in AO3 but the guns were all too easy to access, which made CoC's shaky balance even worse. I switched to OWR3 for the meantime since the textures and animations are significantly better.

Also I'm hoping Warfare gets updated soon. I want some direction in the game apart from going to places, and the ability to "advance" through the Zone and establish new bases instead of traveling all the way back to your main area every time you're selling valuable crap and/or upgrading equipment.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I liked the variety in AO3 but the guns were all too easy to access, which made CoC's shaky balance even worse. I switched to OWR3 for the meantime since the textures and animations are significantly better.

Also I'm hoping Warfare gets updated soon. I want some direction in the game apart from going to places, and the ability to "advance" through the Zone and establish new bases instead of traveling all the way back to your main area every time you're selling valuable crap and/or upgrading equipment.

I like your thinking, seconding this post.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fellis posted:

Like why put in all these rando guns and ammo types if they all suck rear end modders. Sure I'll use a .357 revolver, oh wait the ammo is 10k rb for a box of 20? lol

I hate how every mod that adds any guns feels the need to also add a million new types of ammunition, most of which fulfills the same purpose as already existing ammo. I'm no gun expert but the vanilla ammo seems to cover most bases, just have your new guns use that stuff. Maybe add in the new guns' ingame descriptions that they've been modified to use more easily available ammo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I hate how every mod that adds any guns feels the need to also add a million new types of ammunition, most of which fulfills the same purpose as already existing ammo. I'm no gun expert but the vanilla ammo seems to cover most bases, just have your new guns use that stuff. Maybe add in the new guns' ingame descriptions that they've been modified to use more easily available ammo.

Just a symptom of the quest for unnecessary realism in modding sadly.

I really don't like some of the subsistence and loot changes 1.4 makes, sort of disappointing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In my itching to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with no computer I've taken to watching streams and this guy is fun to watch. Has given the CoC guys pretty good feedback too.

CoC 1.4 with AO! Random permadeaths, cause what else would I do?
https://www.twitch.tv/theravenwhite

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Watched a good docu on Netflix last night on City 40, some closed city surrounding the Mayak plant, and it put me in the mood to reinstall Call of Chernobyl. Nice to see it updated, but now it looks like I have to pick through a bunch of smaller tweak mods to make it good?
e: ha, I get a CTD while trying to attach a scope, why did I expect anything different

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 1, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Default COC is literally identical to COP in weapon configs, damage etc.

I think COC fixes a few bugs and that's it. It's functionally identical to COP, with all the balance issues that comes with that.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I decided to start again, paying more attention to how I am actually playing, I think I will just mod my character to carry more and ignore the exo's until I can run in them.
or just spawn in the toolsets, Hmm, does anyone know if coc has a spawner? one save I have has the two higher sets, but I simply cannot find the beginners for poo poo.
drat, I want an old fashioned clear sky exo.

OH also I am an idiot.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 2, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think you have to make a shortcut to the .exe and put -dbg in the target. There should be instructions in the readme_credits file.

I'm probably cheating them in, too. It's one thing to randomize spawn locations, but making them rare drops is a dick move.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

staberind posted:

Hmm, does anyone know if coc has a spawner? one save I have has the two higher sets, but I simply cannot find the beginners for poo poo.

Basic sets seem to be more common in stashes in the Southern maps - at least they were in 1.4RC1. The new 1.4.0.4 patch gives traders a low probability chance of having them for sale.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Even though STALKER may have covered all the bases on guns/ammo I don't really think it did it in a way that feels realistic. I don't think the bandits get enough credit. They're realistically the number 1 link to the black market, so the bandits probably bring in most of the guns used in the zone. Any faction that's paramilitary would have to smuggle guns into the zone. Also I can bet that drug usage is way higher than the game gives it credit for... blow/meth/amphetamines would be highly desirable.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 2, 2016

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

look man sometimes you just wanna run around shooting dudes with a 10mm pistol.

NeoSeeker posted:

Even though STALKER may have covered all the bases on guns/ammo I don't really think it did it in a way that feels realistic. I don't think the bandits get enough credit. They're realistically the number 1 link to the black market, so the bandits probably bring in most of the guns used in the zone. Any faction that's paramilitary would have to smuggle guns into the zone. Also I can bet that drug usage is way higher than the game gives it credit for... blow/meth/amphetamines would be highly desirable.

misery has cocaine that basically turns you into superman without any downsides.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell yeah it did. When Ma Baker came on the radio at base I'd do three bumps and run up to the upper deck to shoot automatic weapons at any movement I saw in the reeds within 200 meters for maximum immersion.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
that AO3 rebalance mod helps a bit. assault rifles are a bit more powerful and it doesn't seem to break anything

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

staberind posted:

I decided to start again, paying more attention to how I am actually playing, I think I will just mod my character to carry more and ignore the exo's until I can run in them.
or just spawn in the toolsets, Hmm, does anyone know if coc has a spawner? one save I have has the two higher sets, but I simply cannot find the beginners for poo poo.
drat, I want an old fashioned clear sky exo.

OH also I am an idiot.

Speaking of toolsets, you can totally ignore that whole thing in CoC because Professor Kruglov (one of the ecologists at Yantar) can perform every modification without tools and also does it at like half the price. He runs around outside the actual lab bunker but he seems to be just about invincible. It feels a little cheaty but if you're gonna spawn tools in anyway then there ya go.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Did anyone pick up that itemsoup+outfits mod that went live a day ago? It seems to be gone now - I downloaded it yesterday and then applied the newest AO patch, which made all the new item icons go screwy. Not game breaking, but annoying, so if anyone grabbed it and could toss me a download link I'd be much obliged.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Speaking of toolsets, you can totally ignore that whole thing in CoC because Professor Kruglov (one of the ecologists at Yantar) can perform every modification without tools and also does it at like half the price. He runs around outside the actual lab bunker but he seems to be just about invincible. It feels a little cheaty but if you're gonna spawn tools in anyway then there ya go.

Sweet, that's what I mean.
once you are on your feet and have a decent rifle/suit, you can vend everything practically, just keeping the odd piece here and there.
Tunder (OTs-14) & Storm still have no optics, as far as I can see. dealbreaker. <wrong, there are 3 pso scopes, two share a newer Icon and one works on the Tunder.
Also , I suspect artifact drops are tied to emissions. if you are having no luck finding them, you might need to wait till fresh after an emission. I have picked up a few.
possibly the best so far is, oddly, in Cordon, -4 rads. anomaly near the far east rail tunnel, south of fence. (check top of train while you are there.)
picking up a nice sniper (i forget,) from the body of a bandit, I felt blessed by the zone, as I had earlier picked up a fairly useless M60, with 100 rounds.
I eventually had it repaired, no upgrades available, but eh, and stashed it ready for my next push north.
excellent. finally long range instant death.
I step out of the farm, just north of the railbridge in cordon, to find another dead bandit pinata, with a better sniper in near pristine condition. Doh.
The Dude from Clear Sky who decides to travel with you is completely slav;

Army Camp ?
10 of them?
Sucks to be them, Blyaaaaaat!
dies.

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 2, 2016

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

staberind posted:

Tunder (OTs-14) & Storm still have no optics, as far as I can see. dealbreaker.

Come on buddy, the Tunder is ruined with a scope, that gun is a close-quarters death machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

If you're using a Groza for sniping, you should have a Mosin for close range.