Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Koalas March posted:

I think it's actually super interesting. Especially when you add the racial dynamic. He is basically black superman without the flying/lasers which makes him human and more relatable.

I feel like a lot of really interesting subtlety is getting lost on goons. A lot of time because they don't have the "black perspective". I'm not even done with the show yet so far I've seen hip-hop, civil rights, hosed up family dynamics, sexual assault on black women ( a big problem no one addresses), police brutality, housing/economic issues, incarceration, and Tuskegee experiment allusions all placed semi-realistically in a superhero show. It's amazing. Then in the middle of it, you have this guy's who overcame a bunch of crazy obstacles, just trying to mind his business and live his life.. while trying to do the right thing when he can. Like this is probably my favorite Netflix show ever.

The show ends up feeling incoherent with all these motifs and themes. It embraces such a motley variety of elements from black culture, media, and experience that it ends up like a patchwork rather than a dialogue. This incoherency extends to more basic storytelling and style, like how hesitant the show is to embrace the superhero fantasy of its basic premise. Like how Cottonmouth and Diamondback are over-the-top anachronisms on a show that can't do justice to over-the-top anachronisms. And even the basic lesson of "always forward" doesn't ring that true with the emphasis on taking responsibility and confronting the past.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was some good stuff. Roll on Iron Fist.

Spoilers for the whole lot: Diamondback was way better than I was expecting. He seemed a bit too much of a cliche when he first appeared, but then he got interesting and the actor really made him come alive. And Shades, and Cottonmouth, they got way more interesting as things went on. Most of the characters I guess. And Claire got a bigger role. I hope she keeps being the person to bandage up all these superheroes when they get battered.

Oh, and I was thinking Diamondback might need to come up with less of a "we are the baddies" name than Judas Bullets to sell the idea to the cops, but no, they're fine with just yelling it on the streets and sticking holes in everything. That was a bit silly.

I liked the final showdown, it was very comic booky and the crack about a pimp stormtrooper made me laugh far too much.

And really, all the punching, and wrecking of places, and explosions and shooting, I liked those a lot. Some drat good action in there. And any time Luke put someone to sleep with one of those casual taps. And I love that nobody ever got the idea that maybe shooting the bulletproof man was a bad move. Oh, his best move is the "leisurely lift a guy into the ceiling" though. Always my favourite.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I thought the show dipped a little in the middle, but I was also literally falling asleep from late night binging at that point so it may have been me. Post finalé, the more I think about the show the more I find myself enjoying having watched it. I think it absolutely had the best last episode and ending out of all the series so far.

Also, I am possibly the whitest man on this planet, and I need to say I love how unrelentingly and unapologetically black this show is. I'm so over provided with pasty dudes who look like me telling their stories, so this show gave me something I rarely get to see and further proves the point that diversity benefits everyone in the end.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Not quite done yet but holy poo poo 1x12 that Method Man song/cameo was fantastic. I do agree the back half is not quite as good as the first and the pacing is kinda slow, but that's kinda been a theme with the Marvel shows. All of them seem to have pacing problems, from Agent Carter all the way through.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

McDragon posted:

That was some good stuff. Roll on Iron Fist.

Spoilers for the whole lot: Diamondback was way better than I was expecting. He seemed a bit too much of a cliche when he first appeared, but then he got interesting and the actor really made him come alive. And Shades, and Cottonmouth, they got way more interesting as things went on. Most of the characters I guess. And Claire got a bigger role. I hope she keeps being the person to bandage up all these superheroes when they get battered.

Oh, and I was thinking Diamondback might need to come up with less of a "we are the baddies" name than Judas Bullets to sell the idea to the cops, but no, they're fine with just yelling it on the streets and sticking holes in everything. That was a bit silly.

I liked the final showdown, it was very comic booky and the crack about a pimp stormtrooper made me laugh far too much.

And really, all the punching, and wrecking of places, and explosions and shooting, I liked those a lot. Some drat good action in there. And any time Luke put someone to sleep with one of those casual taps. And I love that nobody ever got the idea that maybe shooting the bulletproof man was a bad move. Oh, his best move is the "leisurely lift a guy into the ceiling" though. Always my favourite.

Well, Diamondback's supplier seems to be tied to Justin Hammer, and remember that MCU Justin Hammer is Sam Rockwell as a wannabe Tony Stark, so I totally buy that he or his company gave a sci-fi high-ex round a silly name like that

Rocksicles posted:

1x12 Method Man getting held up and meeting Luke was pretty awesome.
I don't know enough of Method Man's music to know, was the track he did on the radio show a pre-existing one with altered lyrics or did he write a new one for the show?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 2, 2016

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

That Method Man track is definitive dad rap. It might be one of the most immediately dated songs I've ever heard. It's perfect for clueless 34+ year olds who want to try and relate to "the kids" and immediately fail. "Hey Aiden, I know you like the rap music. Here check out this song."

This isn't to say it's bad, and I'd imagine Meth was going for the retro vibe. Point still stands.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

At least we got to hear You Know My Steez as diagetic music

I was getting teased every episode waiting for some Gang Starr bars to pop out somewhere

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Finished the series last night, loved the series and never really felt like it lost steam like the other series, as in, every episode was furthering themes in a useful and interesting way, at least to me. Every character felt like they had real depth, and especially the character of the Harlem community as a whole, which was never really explored by other Marvel shows and their affected communities.

Honestly I feel like bingers are straight up unable to read or interpret what's going on screen by the end of the season based on the comments.

1x13
Diamondback wasn't the 'final fight'. There's a reason he was final episode tease, and resolved within 15 mins. It was a fight Luke was going to win which ultimately didn't manner, because Diamondback was going to destroy himself anyway.

The real fight happened in the interrogation room, and was lost because Misty abandoned solidarity and trust with her police department, as Priscilla said. It was the police of course, so this trust is obviously strained, but it's still the reason they lost, because Misty just assumed the whole force was comic book evil/incompetent.

As with JJ, there's a lot of interesting things to unpack if you take the time to do so. I think it's deliberate that Luke Cage says the system is hosed and vigilantes are needed, yet a lack of trust in the system resulted in them losing the war.

Daredevil, while visually interesting and well choreographed, feels much more like a spectacle opening season compared to JJ and LK. I think that's interesting, the tones and themes really complement their characters and it feels telling how superficially some commenters engage with the themes of certain characters.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Maluco Marinero posted:

the character of the Harlem community as a whole, which was never really explored by other Marvel shows and their affected communities.

You definitely felt this early on when he was going around busting up trouble and shutting down Cottonmouth's retaliation against him and it was nice to see some of those characters return in the final episodes but there was a bit around the middle where the show "forgot" about Harlem a little bit and while it gave us good stuff like the Misty therapy episode, I'm inclined to agree that the show could have shortened up a bit so when those characters showed up in the last episode it wasn't like "oh hey that person we haven't seen in 7 episodes", or if they could have inserted those characters into the story a bit more that would have been cool.

I didn't notice, did the former baseball alcoholic father get another scene after Luke went to return his ring or was that the last we saw of him?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just want an entire episode of Claire training self defense with Colleen Wing. Also, I wanted Misty to lose that arm. I have complaints.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Great show. I feel like it ranks above DD season 2 but below JJ and DDS1. Diamondback being just a lunatic with daddy issues was kind of disappointing since the other villains were so strong, but I can't really add anything to that conversation that hasn't been said. For something that hasn't come up in the thread yet, I have to say I didn't like Shades at first, but he grew on me in the back half of the series. He's presented as some badass fixer, but he doesn't really do anything badass in the first half or so of the show, so he just comes across as a douche, and not in a "fun to hate" kind of way. After Cottonmouth is out of the picture, however, he gets more stuff to do and his allegiance shifting to Mariah makes him more interesting, and when he turns against Diamondback, you're practically cheering for him. And looking back, I can retroactively appreciate his role as the only sane voice for the bad guys in the earlier episodes more.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I just want an entire episode of Claire training self defense with Colleen Wing. Also, I wanted Misty to lose that arm. I have complaints.

Yeah. I was thinking, "Ah, so that's the MCU take on how Misty loses her arm and get the bionic... well, poo poo."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The thing I liked most about the show was that no matter how much Luke was accused of, the community stood by him because they know who he is. When Cottonmouth shook up the neighborhood, they went to him because they trusted him. That's what always stood out about Luke Cage to me at least.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly one big fault with the show is that they didn't do enough of (Misty) putting Misty's arm in increasingly precarious situations where you think it's going to come off.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly one big fault with the show is that they didn't do enough of (Misty) putting Misty's arm in increasingly precarious situations where you think it's going to come off.

I wanted a Hot Tub Time Machine style series of events.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

1x13
Ok so I don't know about how things are in the comics or so apologies if this is very funny in that context. The best thing about Shades to me is that I was waiting the whole show to see what this guy's deal is, he's clearly up to his own thing and there's some deal with his eyes. He's totally gonna shoot an eye lazer or turn out to have the same power as Luke in a surprise moment. Or he'll bust out some insane kung fu moves and rope-a-dope Luke. Whelp, no he's just Some Guy actually. Oh well.

Cool show, cool music.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

1x13
Ok so I don't know about how things are in the comics or so apologies if this is very funny in that context. The best thing about Shades to me is that I was waiting the whole show to see what this guy's deal is, he's clearly up to his own thing and there's some deal with his eyes. He's totally gonna shoot an eye lazer or turn out to have the same power as Luke in a surprise moment. Or he'll bust out some insane kung fu moves and rope-a-dope Luke. Whelp, no he's just Some Guy actually. Oh well.

Cool show, cool music.

Charles Bradley owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiUyFQQE-0

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

For the scene that people are saying is tone-deaf I generally agree. I think a generous reading of it could be that politicians are good at setting up boogeymen to push their agendas and dupe the public, perhaps especially in the middle of a real crisis. If that's the direction they were going with it could have been better written.

Luke has excellent taste in hoodies.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, this is a pretty good show, and i'm just as interested as I was when Daredevil's Season 1 and 2 came out.

I didn't even give a poo poo about Daredevil or Heroes for Hire, until now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pwnstar posted:

1x13

Cool show, cool music.

I had the same thoughts about (full spoilers ahead)Shades. Reminded me of the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMX7k3qsnBk

I'm actually really bummed that they're going the romance angle with Claire, but that's probably just because I'm a huge Alias comic fan and just assumed they were gonna stick together forever.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pwnstar posted:

1x13

Cool show, cool music.
In the comics Shades does indeed have eye lazer powers

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

In the comics Shades does indeed have eye lazer powers

Yeah, but weren't those really just special specs and not an inherent power? Pus, doesn't he turn from a baddie to a goodie at some point?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

flosofl posted:

Yeah, but weren't those really just special specs and not an inherent power? Pus, doesn't he turn from a baddie to a goodie at some point?
I don't know I just saw that factoid from a list of Easter Eggs on the show.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That'll be season 2 or Defenders material like Misty's arm. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who loved that therapy episode. That and the episode where we see Cottonmouth and Mariah's past is when the the show got real for me.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 3, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So much of the show was good. Good acting, some great characters, great cinematography, music and the location were used incredibly well. It's a shame that the show overall is kinda boring. I agree with everyone who said it's three episodes too long. The first really glaring example was in the second episode when Pops made Luke agree to find the kid. Why wasn't that how the first episode ended? How long did Luke spend with those loving magic bullets in him? Did he need to be shot with two different magic bullets on two separate occasions? What was the point of Diamondback becoming mini-Kingpin if he just wanted to kill Luke Cage? So much time wasted on unnecessary poo poo.

My other big complaint is all the cops getting Judas bullets. That was so loving stupid. It's fine at first, when they're introduced as incredibly rare and expensive, made from extra dimensional alien metal. But then all of a sudden they start mass-producing them and all the cops have them all the time. Doesn't it kinda cheapen the idea of a bulletproof black man if he's not bulletproof against cops?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm only on episode 11 but the Judas bullets open up some really interesting MCU questions that will never get explored. Like what if you shot one at Tony and it bored into his suit then exploded on his person? What if you shot a bunch of them (not the smaller guys) at Hulk?

Also I hope no matter what happens, we get a scene like this either in Iron Fist or Defenders. (I'm biased obviously, because I own Secret Love with the Misty/Danny variant cover)

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Guy Goodbody posted:

Doesn't it kinda cheapen the idea of a bulletproof black man if he's not bulletproof against cops?
A little bit maybe, but not in a way that's unwarranted. Black people can't economically or socially earn their way out of racism, and cops function as one of the big equalizers in the system. Stands to reason they wouldn't be able to science their way out of it either. Rather than cheapening anything, I think it's appropriately cynical.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

drat, Method Man drops a straight up Trayvon Martin reg

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I hope Diamondback comes back in season 2 with Luke's abilities and an episode in the cops just shoot him dead with the judas bullets they have

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Guy Goodbody posted:

So much of the show was good. Good acting, some great characters, great cinematography, music and the location were used incredibly well. It's a shame that the show overall is kinda boring. I agree with everyone who said it's three episodes too long. The first really glaring example was in the second episode when Pops made Luke agree to find the kid. Why wasn't that how the first episode ended? How long did Luke spend with those loving magic bullets in him? Did he need to be shot with two different magic bullets on two separate occasions? What was the point of Diamondback becoming mini-Kingpin if he just wanted to kill Luke Cage? So much time wasted on unnecessary poo poo.

My other big complaint is all the cops getting Judas bullets. That was so loving stupid. It's fine at first, when they're introduced as incredibly rare and expensive, made from extra dimensional alien metal. But then all of a sudden they start mass-producing them and all the cops have them all the time. Doesn't it kinda cheapen the idea of a bulletproof black man if he's not bulletproof against cops?

Well this is just my off the cuff interpretation and analysis ,but season spoilers it's actually really interesting that he's a bulletproof black man that can still be killed by the cops. It creates a vulnerability and also aligns him and puts him on the same level with all black men everywhere. Regardless of what people may believe this is not a show that was directed and written to appeal to young white men so making it so that the main lead could still be killed by the police gives the audience a connection with the character on a visceral level. I mean the show is pretty on the nose with some of this, he's a black man, that goes around the city in a hoody all the loving time, and has a encounter with the police where he shields a white cop while being shot in the back by a black cop

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 3, 2016

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked the show but man they really need to stop killing the action to spend like 40 minutes an episode saying the exact same thing they've been saying every episode.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Medullah posted:

I had the same thoughts about (full spoilers ahead)Shades. Reminded me of the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMX7k3qsnBk

I'm actually really bummed that they're going the romance angle with Claire, but that's probably just because I'm a huge Alias comic fan and just assumed they were gonna stick together forever.

Haha I was thinking of that too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Finally finished the season.

Negatives

Claire and Luke did not need a romance. They should have dropped it after the first "You don't drink coffee" scene. Now I have a bad feeling that she's going to end up in a relationship with Danny in Iron Fist, only to move on to Punisher in his series and whoever the new guy is in Defenders. It didn't really seem to happen for any reason other than gotta have a love story cliche issues. Also it undercuts her stated mission of helping super powered people when she immediately turns it from finally finding her thing in life to Luke and Claire XOXOXOXO Forever.

Mariah's flip out on Cottonmouth in E7 seemed to go a little to far over the line into scenery chewing ham by the end.

After the Kingpin and Killgrave's antics how the gently caress are there still so many corrupt cops stealthfully on the force? Especially when even low level neighborhood level kingpins have a roster of cops under their thumb.

Mariah's rally to get the cops Judas bullets was bad. It was a speech for some evil white Democratic politician in front of a white audience. Riling up the community to super arm the cops made no sense.

Positives

That loving soundtrack

Misty Knight

Luke Cage

Harlem as an actual neighborhood in the narrative. I'm still not sure why anyone gives a flying gently caress about Hell's Kitchen, nothing good or positive has ever happened there and no one seems to be anything but trapped there. Harlem on the other hand clearly has issues, but it also has history, hope, and a fairly vibrant community.

Shades

Luke Cage as Kimbo Slice

Focus on black issues beyond a superficial "hey look, black!" level.

Black Mariah being a super horrible person who was still actually trying to do something good. She actually does care about the neighborhood. She's actively loving up the neighborhood, true, but it's actually in service to some sort of actual progress. Much better than Kingpin's plan to bulldoze the place down and remake it to "save" it.

Luke actually does grow and the story of Carl Lucas being something he comes to embrace as Luke Cage instead of it remaining his dark secret that he has to hide.

So is the Defenders going to be Matt, Jessica, Luke, and Danny up against the villain team up of Elektra, Nuke, fully super powered Diamondback, and Davos?

Koalas March posted:

I'm only on episode 11 but the Judas bullets open up some really interesting MCU questions that will never get explored. Like what if you shot one at Tony and it bored into his suit then exploded on his person? What if you shot a bunch of them (not the smaller guys) at Hulk?

No way Tony's suit hasn't incorporated super metalergcial science from the alien metal and made his suit immune to such things. Plus dude was in deep with vibranium and adamantium to start with. As for Hulk, sounds like a real good way to make Hulk angry as gently caress at you.

quote:

Also I hope no matter what happens, we get a scene like this either in Iron Fist or Defenders. (I'm biased obviously, because I own Secret Love with the Misty/Danny variant cover)

If Danny and Misty aren't together by the end of Defenders I will cut some motherfuckers at Netflix/Marvel.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

PaybackJack posted:

Rosario Dawson has never been a great actress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McDragon posted:

Spoilers for the whole lot: And Claire got a bigger role. I hope she keeps being the person to bandage up all these superheroes when they get battered.

Word is that the Dr Strange movie will have the 'official' MCU Night Nurse. Claire was obviously supposed to be that character but looks like the movie dept told the TV dept that they couldn't use her but I guess they decided to keep her in the same role anyway. Also one of Diamondback's men jokingly referred to her as "Night Nurse' in one episode.

Phobeste posted:

As to that scene in the last episode - it was goofy and over the top and what the hell was going on with that costume and it was also a complete distraction from the important things that were going on

I thought it was laughingly bad as well, about as bad as Deathlok's forst costume in Agents of SHIELD, but it turns out that Diamondback's dorky powered suit was actually a big nod to the original character's costume:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If Strange uses a different Night Nurse, that would be petty as hell. Dawson is one of few MCU TV actors who was already a "movie star" and would be a decent pick for a relatively minor movie role.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bloodychill posted:

If Strange uses a different Night Nurse, that would be petty as hell. Dawson is one of few MCU TV actors who was already a "movie star" and would be a decent pick for a relatively minor movie role.

The movie will have Rachel McAdams playing Christine Palmer, one of the original comicbook Night Nurses (but not the main one). The main Night Nurse character back in 1961 was called Linda Carter but that name sort of got attached to another famous superhero in the mid 70s ....

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Daredevil showrunner Steven S. DeKnight noting that the character was originally "going to be the actual Night Nurse from the comics ... we had her name in a script and it came back that it was possible [the feature side] were going to use her" and "had plans for her down the road," necessitating the change to using the more obscure comics character Claire Temple as her name.

Heh

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I honestly wouldn't have minded the (ep 12) look of the Diamondback suit at all if the fight was choreographed and staged better. Between the literal hordes of Marvel and DC films and TV shows, we've all seen way too many enhanced-strength fisticuffs at this point to settle for...y'know...the way that this one went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This "Luke Cage is a black conservative" hot take needs to gently caress right off.