Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The C# market is fine and probably better than it's ever been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Skandranon posted:

Maybe take a look at using TypeScript with NodeJS? That will add 2 (sorta 3) items to your resume that should compliment your C# stuff. TypeScript is very much like C#, designed by the same guy. It fixes a lot of bad stuff in JavaScript and gives you types so you feel all warm and comfortable. Will give you a foot in the door to either web application programming, or serverside NodeJS stuff.

Thank you for pointing this out. It really helps solidify the career path I'm laying out. And it follows the trend I've been on, as someone who came from ActionScript (learned it as part of my Instructional Tech master's) to adopting HTML/CSS/JS for web dev (even if it was focused mostly on getting the most out of WordPress) to a little full-stack contracting (very rudimentary LAMP architectures that, again, serve WordPress sites). Even before the contracting I could manage evaporated, it was clear I needed to take the time to get caught up on what I've missed and regain my focus.

So Imma do that. Even if I've got a lot of reading & learning to do. But that's stately for one of advanced years, eh wot? :pipe:

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

npm left pad

What would PyPI do? Does it retain old version of deleted packages?

E: was curious about this and found a discussion https://m.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/4booff/what_if_the_npm_leftpad_fiasco_had_happened_on/. Looks like the same thing would have happened, and the pypi maintainers would have been forced to mitigate in the same way as npm by republishing.

Not sure it's a great reason to avoid node.

That sucks, it won't happen on Mac or Linux but yeah they should fix it

return0 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 29, 2016

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

leper khan posted:

JavaScript is not a server side language. Despite people putting a fair amount of effort into changing that for some ridiculous reason, that's probably not going to change.

Counterpoint: Redfin uses server-side JS in prod. https://react-server.io/

It helps with SEO, simplifies front-end coding, and gives us a janky version of server-push over HTTP 1.1.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

This was fixed in npm v3.0 which was released over a year ago.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Blinkz0rz posted:

This was fixed in npm v3.0 which was released over a year ago.

Yeah I should have been more clear, it was more a demonstration of node people saying this behavior was a bug in Windows and accusing people of playing word games when they pointed out that npm probably shouldn't claim it was windows compatible.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

bartkusa posted:

Counterpoint: Redfin uses server-side JS in prod. https://react-server.io/

It helps with SEO, simplifies front-end coding, and gives us a janky version of server-push over HTTP 1.1.

Just because people are using it as a server-side language, doesn't mean that they should. I could write the server-side application in ASM, but I highly doubt anyone would agree that it would be a good idea.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

The March Hare posted:

Yeah I should have been more clear, it was more a demonstration of node people saying this behavior was a bug in Windows and accusing people of playing word games when they pointed out that npm probably shouldn't claim it was windows compatible.

I mean, to be fair, path length in Windows is a legacy issue that likely stems from DOS days. MAX_PATH is stupid and should have been removed with Windows NT.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

leper khan posted:

but I hear the market is pretty bad right now; lots of uncertainty over the election/market or something.

If recruiter spam is any indication, I'm not seeing this in the Philly area for .NET/Java work. I do fully expect, however, that it will slow down a bit as Q4 progresses. Looking for a job around the holidays is never ideal, but I once had an interview (and offer) a few days before Christmas, so who knows.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
C# and Java will literally never slow down in NYC, Philly, or Boston. Literally never. You may have to suck it up and wear business casual if you really can't find a fintech or adtech startup to sling at, but as someone interviewing now I can tell you that with even like 2 years of experience, you'll have your choice of company.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The problem I see is that there's an increasing divide in the software employment market as non-tech companies continue to cut IT costs and engineering-focused tech companies continue to rake in bigger profits (EMC, Dell, VMware, HP are not engineering-focused today - look what's happened to them). Outside of Big Tech, Java and C# jobs will become like the COBOL jobs of the 90s in the sense that at the time tech companies paying six figures was really high but the old companies haven't changed their budgets inflation-adjusted (or it's even lower) for keep-the-lights-on technologies and big tech companies have doubled their compensation packages in the past 17+ years.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

tech companies paying six figures was really high but the old companies haven't changed their budgets inflation-adjusted (or it's even lower) for keep-the-lights-on technologies and big tech companies have doubled their compensation packages in the past 17+ years.

While this is true, it's somewhat tough to separate out how much of the salary inflation at BigTechCos is due to their locations in some of the highest cost-of-living areas in the country (world?) Most of them, in the year of our lord 2016, still do not offer/encourage remote work, so that $200K base salary has to somehow pay for the outrageous (by 95% of the rest of the country) cost of housing in SF, NYC, SV, DC, SEA, etc.

I think sometimes it gets lost that the $90K some average software developer in Nashville, TN gets paid -- while paltry compared to the $250K total comp at Google -- is plenty for them to live a nice, upper-middle lifestyle in that area.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

B-Nasty posted:

I think sometimes it gets lost that the $90K some average software developer in Nashville, TN gets paid -- while paltry compared to the $250K total comp at Google -- is plenty for them to live a nice, upper-middle lifestyle in that area.
It all depends on what kinds of things you value. For example, if you want a big house, Nashville is obviously the superior choice, whereas if you like traveling internationally, the bay area salary is way, way better.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I lived in Nashville in 2009 and at the time every job I saw was paying less than $75k and Vanderbilt's jobs required masters+ to work on robotics or healthcare software for doctors. Hopefully that changed for the better since I left, but I was shocked at how little opportunity there was for me there and left for the first job I could find, which wound up being the Bay Area. Even on $90k back in 2009 you really could't live anywhere "upper middle class" since around the west part of Nashville started at $250k for a 1400 sq ft fixer upper. Housing prices (renting or buying) are bad everywhere in the country though where you can get a decent job.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

leper khan posted:

JavaScript is not a server side language. Despite people putting a fair amount of effort into changing that for some ridiculous reason, that's probably not going to change.

There's plenty of work in C#, but I hear the market is pretty bad right now; lots of uncertainty over the election/market or something. Just do anything you think is cool because then you'll unwittingly be passionate when you talk about it in interviews.

Thanks for the good advice. I just wanted to add, to save face, that when I said "some other server side language" I meant other than C#, which is the current focus of my skills. I wrote that really awkwardly haha.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Skandranon posted:

You are far more likely to get hired on the basis of having Angular/TypeScript/React/JavaScript than Rails. If you apply to a Rails shop, they will not hire you if you only have a bit of Rails, and everywhere else will be more impressed by the not Rails stuff.

I work at a Rails shop and all my previous experience is .NET. I dunno.

I've done a fair bit of Angular stuff but I don't think full-time front-end work is for everyone. Certainly isn't for me.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I work at a Rails shop and all my previous experience is .NET. I dunno.

I've done a fair bit of Angular stuff but I don't think full-time front-end work is for everyone. Certainly isn't for me.

Obviously, if he doesn't like it, no. But these things are hot and new now, and Rails is not. If he wants to learn a skill that will make him more employable, hot new web stuff will help much more than Rails.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
If you're looking to work remotely, however, rails is really popular. Like, really really popular.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

If you're looking to work remotely, however, rails is really popular. Like, really really popular.

Is that just because Rails itself is common, though?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

npm left pad

Since this happened, I've created a weekly ritual of node dev shaming in our company slack that revolves around an elaborate set of gifs from this incident. It's one of my favorite things, I really look forward to it every week.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Is that just because Rails itself is common, though?

No, DHH just kind of romanticized it and the community followed suit

return0
Apr 11, 2007

speng31b posted:

Since this happened, I've created a weekly ritual of node dev shaming in our company slack that revolves around an elaborate set of gifs from this incident. It's one of my favorite things, I really look forward to it every week.

You sound awful.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

return0 posted:

You sound awful.

To be fair, node has been a trainwreck in terms of stability since... forever. It even forked for a year because half the community got fed up with poo poo being broken all the time.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

mrmcd posted:

To be fair, node has been a trainwreck in terms of stability since... forever. It even forked for a year because half the community got fed up with poo poo being broken all the time.

Sure, but name a language and ecosystem that wasn't true about at some point in its history. I'm not a huge fan of Node but it's nowhere near the dumpster fire that it was a few years ago.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Sure, but name a language and ecosystem that wasn't true about at some point in its history. I'm not a huge fan of Node but it's nowhere near the dumpster fire that it was a few years ago.

Are you saying that node is no longer a dumpster fire, or that it is no longer a bonfire made of multiple simultaneous dumpster fires?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

triple sulk posted:

No, DHH just kind of romanticized it and the community followed suit

Ohh, I see what you mean. Convenient, sure, but I dunno if being remote is enough to stop me from moving away from Rails..

speng31b
May 8, 2010

return0 posted:

You sound awful.

It's all in good fun, we have slackbots set up for shaming everyone's pet languages / toolsets. Python: stuff about significant whitespace, Objective-C: really just about any method name, Java: all of Java. Not piling on the node hate train here - NPM left-pad was shameful, and also funny. Might as well acknowledge things like that and have some fun with them.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 2, 2016

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
This thread makes me thankful every day that I am not on frontend

return0
Apr 11, 2007

speng31b posted:

It's all in good fun, we have slackbots set up for shaming everyone's pet languages / toolsets. Python: stuff about significant whitespace, Objective-C: really just about any method name, Java: all of Java. Not piling on the node hate train here - NPM left-pad was shameful, and also funny. Might as well acknowledge things like that and have some fun with them.

ach fair enough, I think too much was made of left pad and the same would happen with pypi or gems, so npm gets a bad rap. It is probably fairly called out as being awful in other respects though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

speng31b posted:

Does anybody in your company use Node?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

qntm posted:

Does anybody in your company use Node?

It's used extensively. I use it, too - almost daily. left-pad day caused us some trouble.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 2, 2016

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

speng31b posted:

It's used extensively. I use it, too - almost daily. left-pad day caused us some trouble.

why arent you versioning all of your dependencies internally?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

FamDav posted:

why arent you versioning all of your dependencies internally?

No good reason, other than it's not my decision in all cases. For the products I build and take responsibility for in production, you bet I lock down my dependencies as bytes. Some others are convinced that npm can be trusted, despite outlying incidents. And yet, slackbot never forgets.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

speng31b posted:

No good reason, other than it's not my decision in all cases. For the products I build and take responsibility for in production, you bet I lock down my dependencies as bytes. Some others are convinced that npm can be trusted, despite outlying incidents. And yet, slackbot never forgets.

I've been conflicted about this for awhile. On one hand, to get perfect reproducability and reliability, should just check in all node_modules into source control. But this causes huge repository bloat, especially if you want to keep current versions of things. The current solution for this is maintaining a private NPM repository that mirrors all packages from NPM that get downloaded through it. I still have my doubts though...

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Skandranon posted:

I've been conflicted about this for awhile. On one hand, to get perfect reproducability and reliability, should just check in all node_modules into source control. But this causes huge repository bloat, especially if you want to keep current versions of things. The current solution for this is maintaining a private NPM repository that mirrors all packages from NPM that get downloaded through it. I still have my doubts though...

Do what you do for python, ruby, etc.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Skandranon posted:

When the best way to have a fully reproducible build with a lot of node deps is to cause a thermonuclear explosion in repository size, the only winning move is not to play.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

speng31b posted:

speng31b posted:

So you hold a weekly shaming session for developers in your own organisation?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

return0 posted:

Do what you do for python, ruby, etc.

You would think this would work fine but js modules are changing all the time. Also, Python is batteries-included, js is not, so you usually have a lot more modules being used.

I mean you could have a policy to just ignore updates, but there are genuinely useful improvements and fixes constantly.

So, whether the same policy works for a python app as for a js app depends on how much importance your organization gives to various factors.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is this about update policies for modules, or for where to store their local versions? Kind of like how Bundler handles gem installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

You would think this would work fine but js modules are changing all the time. Also, Python is batteries-included, js is not, so you usually have a lot more modules being used.

I mean you could have a policy to just ignore updates, but there are genuinely useful improvements and fixes constantly.

So, whether the same policy works for a python app as for a js app depends on how much importance your organization gives to various factors.

Just be smart and be as restrictive as possible with your dependencies, audit package updates, and have a reliable rollback plan. Also npm shrinkwrap is your friend.