Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Just FYI, Zaggitz was really chomping at the bit to do this thread (he's a big fan of Jonah Nolan's last show, Person of Interest) (BTW if any of you in this thread haven't seen Person of Interest, the gently caress is wrong with you?). So if you don't want to do the work, he might be willing to start a new thread with an effort OP.

Oh I'm willing, though I don't watch PoI because despite the cast, the previews always made it look terrible. This thing has gone on too long to not follow through, I'm talking about both the thread and the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OP has been updated, pm me or post suggestions you might have, I haven't made an op in TVIV before

Crash74
May 11, 2009

John Hammond heard about this great new investment opportunity involving robots. They sound much more stable than relying on genetic manipulation.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

I expect they're going to be very different animals. The original movie is a fairly self contained storyline, I think this is going to be a lot more spanning (and I can see it spreading to the other -worlds, Medieval World, Rome World, etc.).

I'd be down for that it would be nice to see a more "realistic brutal" version of Rome etc)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crash74 posted:

John Hammond heard about this great new investment opportunity involving robots. They sound much more stable than relying on genetic manipulation.

Reminder that Westworld and Jurassic Park were both written by the same guy. :)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks MLS? for the sticky and name change

I'm currently watching the original movie, things are about to go wrong!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL3eP0Hfy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIi1EorPO1k

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man, that movie sure has a lot of stuff repeated in Michael Crichton's other works.

The part at the end in Medieval World felt a lot like Timeline, plus the part about the Gunslinger being unable to see the guy when he was by the torch was very reminiscent of the Tyrannosaurus in JP

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alway thought it was funny how Yul Brynner had the same costume as in The Magnificent Seven

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The reviews for this haven't been too hot, but most people who are down on it seem to recognize that it's very dense and might have some room to grow. Speaking to that is this tweet from James Hibberd:

https://twitter.com/jameshibberd/status/782645505272770561

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
It has 84% on Rotten Tomato.

Plus most of the reviews that are negative leaning seem to be focusing on the slow being a bit of a slow burn with "nothing happening" in the 4 episodes they got to review. To which I'm kinda like: Uh.... have you SEEN Game of Thrones?

Like, I know it isn't a direct Game of Thrones replacement, but I'm pretty sure HBO knows that the slow burn into a loving bombshell is something people want to see. Plus HBO would be completely nuts to show the first bombshell to reviewers in the hope that nobody leaked it. What are these reviewers expecting to early review other than the slow burn portion of the season?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

It's on at 9 Eastern right? IMDb doesn't like to use time zones for some reason.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

El Jeffe posted:

It's on at 9 Eastern right? IMDb doesn't like to use time zones for some reason.

Yes.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:tipshat:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

:tviv:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I'm really hoping there's some sort of Fantastic Voyage shrinking ray action going on with this zoomout.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is the piano playing Black Hole Sun?

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is the piano playing Black Hole Sun?

Yep. I'm guessing it's an easter egg by one of the game's programmers.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is really really REALLY good by the way.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

The difference, John, is that the Pirates of the Caribbean don't EAT the visitors when the ride breaks down.

e: "Paint it Black" by The Rolling Stones

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 3, 2016

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Paint It Black!

This show, holy poo poo.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yaay they did it

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

pffffftHAHAHAHAHAhahaha

haha

ha

I uh, I really shouldn't be laughing

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anybody reading this who hasn't checked out this first episode, do yourself a favor. Seriously.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

This is my new favourite show of all time.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

This was really well done. A lot of intrigue so far and the acting has been absolutely phenomenal.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

That was one of the best things I've ever seen

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Sold.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

The slow burn reveal that James Marsden was a robot was loving amazing.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm super confused about how the world works. If it's like a VR/matrix type of deal then why do the hosts need to exist in real life?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo if this keeps the same quality this is a Game of Thrones beater.

Ed Harris is outstanding, so loving awesome

Okay, so I'm gonna assume he's trying to incite them to fight back right? He seems obsessed with taking the whole thing up a notch, he seems bored.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 3, 2016

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

El Jeffe posted:

I'm super confused about how the world works. If it's like a VR/matrix type of deal then why do the hosts need to exist in real life?

I think this is intentional. Are we to believe that the park is really as big as it looks? Do they just have part of a state sectioned off as a theme park? We can't be sure just yet but that seems to be the implication.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Also, I think it's safe to assume that it's not gonna follow the movie and have like, Roman World and Medieval World too right?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mills posted:

The slow burn reveal that James Marsden was a robot was loving amazing.

Although I still don't know if during that reveal Ed Harris is a Guest or a renegade Host

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Although I still don't know if during that reveal Ed Harris is a Guest or a renegade Host

He was invincible when shot at by Marsden, so that'd make him a guest. But with this show, :iiam:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also, I think it's safe to assume that it's not gonna follow the movie and have like, Roman World and Medieval World too right?

I thought later in the episode Dolores literally rode her horse by a castle on a cliff? Did I imagine that?

SgtSteel91 posted:

Well, Teddy couldn't shoot him, so unless he hacked the matrix, he's a guest.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

El Jeffe posted:

He was invincible when shot at by Marsden, so that'd make him a guest. But with this show, :iiam:

He said he was coming for 30 years. That means he is a LOOOOONG time guest. Plus if he was a host him outright loving with the rules of the game and stating they are all playthings would got him shitcanned real quick if they canned a host for showing a shred of self awareness.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy crap that was phenomenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
That was loving amazing.

The ‘guests’ being a bunch of oblivious assholes playing real-life-Skyrim never stopped being hilarious, and Anthony Hopkins seems to be playing Mad-Scientist-Hannibal-Lector. I’m guessing that he’s secretly trying to build viable AIs under everyone’s noses, especially considering that speech of his about humanity having gotten to ‘the best that it gets.’

• Locked thread