Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think the show has potential.

Also I just read the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and the similarities are pretty striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did I miss something? Why are people even wondering if it's VR or not?

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Yeah that was goddamn great and I'm gonna need to watch it again before next week

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Starring Ed Harris as the most loathsome gaming min/maxer of all time.

It's intriguing, suspenseful, and intense. The way the show iterated on the various AI routines was really well-crafted, I thought. The fly swat at the end was probably my favorite part, given the way that motif had shown up through the episode.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Amazing opening that lived up to the pedigree of both the production team and cast; very, very interested to see where this goes - I didn't anticipate the parallels to MMORPG storyline/NPC management at all, which I feel like is one of the few real life changes since 1973 that impacts the context of the show for the audience. It's amusing that the original was the first fictional work to really describe computer viruses to a mass audience though; e.g. obviously there's been a lot of other technological advancements in the last 40+ years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just came to say wow holy poo poo that was really good. I was liking it a lot until the big finale with Paint it Black and that just put it over the top as amazing. Really looking forward to this show....hope they keep it up.

Btw, if they'd dropped this on Netflix I'd have stayed up all night to watch the whole season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something interesting I noticed in the credits is that they had a Faro expert on staff. Kind of funny that they went with a nit picky little detail like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Did I miss something? Why are people even wondering if it's VR or not?

I think people are kind of confused by the hologram display and the idea that they somehow have this gigantic area under their control.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

I think people are kind of confused by the hologram display and the idea that they somehow have this gigantic area under their control.

Yeah I really hope they going deeper into this. Like, I have to assume they control the airspace to make sure no planes fly over or anything of that nature.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Man, as a fan of the original movie, this was excellent.

Multiple times through this episode I was thinking "Jesus this is dark as gently caress." I hope they go whole-hog and really take the idea to all logical conclusions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From the scene with the writer and the executive on the rooftop it seems like they're in some kind of isolated area. He talked about being "rotated out" which implies that they're stuck in a spot and don't just go home at the end of the day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not that unbelievable. Disney is a no fly zone, and so is any stadium with a large event going on.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Trivia posted:

Man, as a fan of the original movie, this was excellent.

Multiple times through this episode I was thinking "Jesus this is dark as gently caress." I hope they go whole-hog and really take the idea to all logical conclusions.

It's gonna be INCREDIBLY dark and hosed up when the prostitute hosts become self aware and realize they were created for the sole purpose of loving rich idiots. That's gonna be a horrifying realization

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

That was really insane. I loved the juxtaposition of the saloon robber gearing up for his speech and then the guest gloating over his death . I think they have a ton of room to grow based on how well they contrasted the narratives there.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah, the "Look at 'er quiver!" or whatever the wife said was pretty hosed up.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

So it's not a virtual world? They fully repair all those robots overnight, every night? And what's stopping a guest from being harmed by another guest?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That felt like a really good prelude to what the story will become (which I think was intentional.) Good start.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

El Jeffe posted:

So it's not a virtual world? They fully repair all those robots overnight, every night? And what's stopping a guest from being harmed by another guest?

I guess the same thing as when cyclops shot the gunslinger.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

El Jeffe posted:

We don't know what happens if a guest turns on a guest, but if you look at the guns, they have some sort of sensor attached to them. It's visible on Teddy's gun during his showdown with the Gunslinger:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure we'll see reset time in an upcoming episode.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

etalian posted:

Alway thought it was funny how Yul Brynner had the same costume as in The Magnificent Seven

It was completely intentional, too. The Chris Adams character was hugely influential.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Wow, that first episode was loving phenomenal.

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

El Jeffe posted:

They've been doing this for (at least) 30 years, mostly without incident. Clearly they've got a lot of money, expertise and resources at their disposal.

One thing I'm curious to learn (and I wonder how long they'll take to clue us in) is just when all this is taking place and by extension what the real world is like.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well they straight up say that they're at a point where they've cured all diseases etc.. it seems to me that it implies the world at large is in a post scarcity economy. Like I wouldn't doubt the time being like 2200 or something.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

We don't know what happens if a guest turns on a guest, but if you look at the guns, they have some sort of sensor attached to them. It's visible on Teddy's gun during his showdown with the Gunslinger:

OK that would make sense; the guns are real but can't fire fire blanks(?) when pointed at a guest. The whole time, I was just assuming that it was basically a super advanced video game since it would be a lot more practical than maintaining all that in real life.

Cannot loving wait for next Sunday.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 3, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guns are probably not real. They fire some kind of projectile because you could see things hit Ed Harris, but they're not bullets.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no point really debating what technology is what because it may as well be "A Wizard did it".

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The guns are probably not real. They fire some kind of projectile because you could see things hit Ed Harris, but they're not bullets.

Didn't one guy have half his head blown off?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I noticed Ed Harris say he'd been coming for thirty years...which is when the park had its last :airquote: incident. :airquote:

They also seem to be intentionally ambiguous as to whether this is all actually on earth or not. Cop-guy mentioned the guests coming to "your world," but Hopkins later made it sound like they were still here, but somewhere remote.

:tinfoil::hf::tinfoil:

tl;dr show's good, will watch again

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Well this was :krad:. What was up with that underground set though? Was it supposed to be the original park infrastructure from the movie?, I didn't get why the swat team was doing down there, is that where they lock up all the reject robots or something? Had major jurassic world flashbacks.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
My guess is that the guns are basically harmless capguns with some realistic sounding sound effects, and the androids are designed to realistically burst anywhere when they register a ‘gunshot.’ So the guests couldn’t ever accidently murder each other, unless some psychopath like Ed Harris starts cutting people up with a bowie knife.

I hope there’s never a whole lot of exposition about what sort of sci-fi future world this story takes place in. ‘Twenty minutes into the future’ works just fine.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

theyre on the moon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Show is good.

Innocuous posted:

Starring Ed Harris as the most loathsome gaming min/maxer of all time.

It's intriguing, suspenseful, and intense. The way the show iterated on the various AI routines was really well-crafted, I thought. The fly swat at the end was probably my favorite part, given the way that motif had shown up through the episode.

Yea haha. Ed Harris is looking for the secret dungeon with the best loot and hardest monsters.

Also liked fly swat too.

Crash74 posted:

Well this was :krad:. What was up with that underground set though? Was it supposed to be the original park infrastructure from the movie?, I didn't get why the swat team was doing down there, is that where they lock up all the reject robots or something? Had major jurassic world flashbacks.

Yea I'm guessing it's an older set. No idea why they would store the old broken models instead of just destroying them or tearing them down for parts. I am looking forward to the naked robot revolution.

SWAT team went down there because there was a disturbance or something. Turns out it was just Anthony Hopkins.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 3, 2016

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, my thoughts were it's probably like the hologram room in Hunger Games.

Also, maybe the guns shoot blanks and the androids are rigged up with squibs that explode based on where they should have been shot?

I'm really looking forward to the next episode. I thought the piano tunes were familiar but couldn't place any of them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That doesnt make sense because you see the bullets hit Ed Harris's character. It's probably like airsoft oh god I've been sucked in

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Huh. Randomly wandered into TVIV, happened upon this thread, gave the show a chance, and am now recommending Westworld to my friends. Thanks, SomethingAwful.

The only part I didn't like is that they're just inexplicably storing them all standing together in a derelict area. If they're potentially dangerous, you'd think they'd just put them in restraints and stuff 'em in shelves like a mortuary would.

On the other hand, that part also left huge unanswered questions about why on Earth there would be this giant shopping-mall-esque lobby on sub-basement 80-whatever. Something tells me there's more happening behind the scenes than we're being led to believe and I like it.

El Jeffe posted:

So it's not a virtual world? They fully repair all those robots overnight, every night?
Serious question: Are you clinically retarded? We saw them physically interacting with the hosts. The only way it's a virtual world is if that's the twist to my unanswered question.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea I'm guessing it's an older set. No idea why they would store the old broken models instead of just destroying them or tearing them down for parts. I am looking forward to the naked robot revolution.

Keep them on hand to repurpose as need arises. Hopkins rattled off multiple roles that dadbot had served in the past. Narrative designer suddenly has a need for a robot that chugs milk while scaring guests? We've got one of those in storage, can't remember why we put him away, give him a new hat and no one will notice. That is probably the rationale they use for the stakeholders at least, but Hopkins just gets mad nostalgic and attached to his hosts.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
figure the westworld staff would get tired of ed harris raping people or scalping them at some point

nopants
May 29, 2004
I'm guessing Ed Harris's character has been taking Dolores to try and unlock her oldest memories or something since she's the oldest host. We never see what Harris does with her once they're in the barn. He could think she has some buried memories that'd give him some insight in the deeper meaning of Westworld.

nopants fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My only complaint is how little screen time Trevor got, that guy is great.

• Locked thread