Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What makes it worse is that Bojack really was trying to keep things good with Todd this season, apologising for insulting him, opening calling him his best friend. Then he goes ahead and does the same old Bojack bullshit that shows that he hasn't changed, not really. Or at least, not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sinteres posted:

He didn't blame her though, he blamed Bojack. She didn't really owe him anything at that point in their lives, but Bojack did. Even just being honest about it might have been enough for Todd, but hiding what he did proves that Bojack felt that what he did was wrong and he did it anyway.

Yeah, it wasn't the sex it was the lying and hiding it.

If Bojack had just been honest from the start things would have been fine. Well, maybe not fine but at least better.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Megaspel posted:

He wasn't angry at him for sleeping with her, he didn't even know he slept with her. He was angry because he did something to make her feel bad and act weird.

Yeah I think it was this. It's hard to put myself in Todd's shoes since he's presumably asexual, but as a straight dude if one of my platonic friends had sex with another of my platonic friends and didn't make any effort to keep it from being damaging, I'd be pretty loving mad at them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tempo 119 posted:

I get the feeling Todd being asexual is just part of him being a real-life sitcom character and not any kind of statement or insight, not that I'd mind being wrong of course

Finally caught up with the show and the thread and I agree with this, and it was also why I was really disappointed with the asexual reveal (and the $8 million tip) and was surprised that a lot of people reacted so positively to it. Todd has always been one of the weaker parts of the show for me (in spite of Aaron Paul's surprisingly good turn at voice acting) because he felt like he belonged to a completely different show; he was always doing crazy cartoon capers that were on a completely different wavelength from the rest of the show and never really seemed to contribute anything since they were just swept away at the end of each episode and he wound up back on Bojack's couch as if nothing had happened. Him and Mr. PB's subplot with the cab company and his rekindled relationship with Emily was one of the things I liked about this season because it felt like Todd was actually starting to undergo some character growth and fit into the cast as an actual character. Him being asexual in the end didn't feel like an actual bit of character growth or personality trait, it felt like the show coming up with an excuse to regress his character growth and return him to the status quo as a wackety-shmackety comic relief left over from the bad first half of season one, just like him giving away all his money so he's once again a broke couch-surfing schmuck.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Guy Mann posted:

Finally caught up with the show and the thread and I agree with this, and it was also why I was really disappointed with the asexual reveal (and the $8 million tip) and was surprised that a lot of people reacted so positively to it. Todd has always been one of the weaker parts of the show for me (in spite of Aaron Paul's surprisingly good turn at voice acting) because he felt like he belonged to a completely different show; he was always doing crazy cartoon capers that were on a completely different wavelength from the rest of the show and never really seemed to contribute anything since they were just swept away at the end of each episode and he wound up back on Bojack's couch as if nothing had happened. Him and Mr. PB's subplot with the cab company and his rekindled relationship with Emily was one of the things I liked about this season because it felt like Todd was actually starting to undergo some character growth and fit into the cast as an actual character. Him being asexual in the end didn't feel like an actual bit of character growth or personality trait, it felt like the show coming up with an excuse to regress his character growth and return him to the status quo as a wackety-shmackety comic relief left over from the bad first half of season one, just like him giving away all his money so he's once again a broke couch-surfing schmuck.

Being asexual could never be character growth, it's just revealing something about his past. The growth comes from understanding it. They're all cartoon characters end of the day, just because Todd is one type of cartoon, doesn't mean everything about his character is moot. He's definitely changed, he stood up to Bojack and he's had a lot of non-whacky conversations that have helped people around him. He's just a happy dude who likes making other people happy, and in the context of the show he adds hijinks, which is just his role and I personally don't feel like it negatively affects his character, if anything I'd think the opposite.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how when Todd figures out how Bojack screwed with his rock opera, he's legit bummed out.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love Todd.

Just something about the combination of saying he wouldn't get lost on the way to the ice machine because New York is on a grid, and then immediately getting lost had me in stitches.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Todd and Mr Peanut Butter all one word are definitely the most sitcom-y of the cast, and Todd immediately losing his money does feel a lot more like a sitcom then I would hope for from the show, but I still like his character, and he's not really overused to the point of it being terrible.

I also have a pretty high tolerance for the sort of dumb jokes and sitcom stuff he gets into, because the rest of the show is pretty bleak anyway.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I can't wait to see what the waitress does with the money, though.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Hire an assassin to kill the guy who ordered steak back in the first season.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

I like how when Todd figures out how Bojack screwed with his rock opera, he's legit bummed out.

"Maybe I just need to stop expecting you to be a good person so that way I won't get hurt when you're not." :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

I like when the football goes through the b-ball hoop.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WickedHate posted:

"Maybe I just need to stop expecting you to be a good person so that way I won't get hurt when you're not." :smith:

That, that pretty much sums up the tragedy of the Todd/Bojack relationship.

Also, in the episode 1 Charlie Rose interview, Bojack says "Well, it's not Ibsen" about Horsin' Around, which is exactly what his mother says in flashback.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 4, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

i am the bird posted:

I can't wait to see what the waitress does with the money, though.

The cow waitress opening her own restaurant and slowly becoming a tycoon is a background gag I'd like to see in season 4.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That, that pretty much sums up the tragedy of the Todd/Bojack relationship.

Also, in the episode 1 Charlie Rose interview, Bojack says "Well, it's not Ibsen" about Horsin' Around, which is exactly what his mother says in flashback.
It's not Ibsen. It's a television sitcom.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

thedaian posted:

Todd and Mr Peanut Butter all one word are definitely the most sitcom-y of the cast, and Todd immediately losing his money does feel a lot more like a sitcom then I would hope for from the show, but I still like his character, and he's not really overused to the point of it being terrible.

To be fair, it's pretty clear in that scene that he is hamming it up and didn't "accidentally" tip 8 million dollars to the server. I took that as Todd's way of saying he didn't actually want the money, that he preferred his life the way it was when he was broke, and he didn't want to change that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
naw he's a dumb stoner who did so many drugs he has no balls

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

coyo7e posted:

naw he's a dumb stoner who did so many drugs he has no balls

Can we get somebody from TCC to confirm/deny if this can happen?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Talorat posted:

To be fair, it's pretty clear in that scene that he is hamming it up and didn't "accidentally" tip 8 million dollars to the server. I took that as Todd's way of saying he didn't actually want the money, that he preferred his life the way it was when he was broke, and he didn't want to change that.

I never can tell with Todd. There's a good chance the Todd from 3x01 could have accidentally done this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Binged all three seasons over the weekend. Glad my own hang ups don't quite resonate with Bojack's because drat.

How many examples are there of family friendly sitcom stars attempting to cast away their goofy family friendly image and become edgy ala The Bojack Horseman Show are there? Off the top of my head there's Jaleel White who starred in this sitcom where he was some ladies' man fuckmachine who was constantly boning and constantly appearing shirtless in many scenes.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Are you sure that wasn't just the Family Matters episodes where Steve Urkel turns into Stefan Urquelle through some kinda cool-guy potion?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Bob Saget went through the reverse (and quickly went back to his super offensive standup roots when Full House took off, to many oblivious midwestern audience members' chagrin), Patton Oswalt had a lot of difficulty going back to his standup after King of Queens took off and he was booked by venues that had NO IDEA what sort of comedy his standup was, as Jessica Biel notes in Bojack she had a time period immediately after Seventh Heaven where basically any role she took was to shed her "girl next door" image her role on the show cultivated, I could think of more.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Graveyardstick posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just the Family Matters episodes where Steve Urkel turns into Stefan Urquelle through some kinda cool-guy potion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grown_Ups_(1999_TV_series)

Ok so maybe it wasn't as edgy as Jaleel taking a dump on a VHS of Family Matters, but still

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Malcolm's dad decided to start cooking meth

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Bob Saget went through the reverse (and quickly went back to his super offensive standup roots when Full House took off, to many oblivious midwestern audience members' chagrin), Patton Oswalt had a lot of difficulty going back to his standup after King of Queens took off and he was booked by venues that had NO IDEA what sort of comedy his standup was, as Jessica Biel notes in Bojack she had a time period immediately after Seventh Heaven where basically any role she took was to shed her "girl next door" image her role on the show cultivated, I could think of more.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Anne Hathaway starred in Havoc because she didn't want to be stuck as a Disney Princess and she likened her decision to doing nudity to when Julie Andrews had a nude scene in S.O.B.

But that could've been conjecture from the author

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I'm curious as to what Todd's :T face is supposed to convey, since it was always only on his left side and Aaron Paul did sound like he had something in his mouth sometimes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The last dialogue in the last scene of the last episode is Bojack in a bar talking to a bartender saying and THAT'S why I have a long face

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A well done examination of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORIDYHOFTQ

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

RBW has been losing his poo poo about the election and Lisa Hanawalt continues to take on misogyny so I have a feeling season 4 is going to be even more interesting, especially if they move forward with Mr. Peanutbutter gubernatorial plotline and Diane at Girl Croosh.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i am the bird posted:

RBW has been losing his poo poo about the election and Lisa Hanawalt continues to take on misogyny so I have a feeling season 4 is going to be even more interesting, especially if they move forward with Mr. Peanutbutter gubernatorial plotline and Diane at Girl Croosh.

Why did I let you trick me into going back on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/andreapitzer/status/731869891192557568

Now I wanna cry.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy crap that was excellent (and has a much more positive take on BoJack than I expected), I've never heard of that channel before - thanks!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I started watching this show maybe a month ago, and kind of just watched an episode here and there for a bit. Once I got into season two, I ended up binging the rest of the show very quickly.

This show hosed me up and now I sometimes cry randomly.

thanks alot bojack

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

That was extremely well done. I agree on all points, and I particularly like the revelation on how much the show draws directly from people like Sartre and Pascal.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That channel is probably the best there is on Youtube, certainly in the Top 5 anyway. You guys should check out their other stuff.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Started watching this show a few weeks ago, its great.

Also thanks for that youtube channel, its spot on.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Someone's probably said this already, but I hope this show is secretly all setup for a re telling of this joke, and that its last scene will be Bojack walking into a bar and the barman asking "Why the long face?"

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

vegetables posted:

Someone's probably said this already, but I hope this show is secretly all setup for a re telling of this joke, and that its last scene will be Bojack walking into a bar and the barman asking "Why the long face?"

So many people have arrived at this possibility independently that I can't imagine the show actually doing it.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

BoJack walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Holy poo poo. Are you The Horse from Horsin' Around? What are yoooooouuuuu doing here?"

~all I want to know is~
~can I come a little closer~

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That channel is probably the best there is on Youtube, certainly in the Top 5 anyway. You guys should check out their other stuff.

:agreed: I thought it would be some stupid nonsense like cinema sins or some poo poo but at least the Bojack video makes some good points and is well made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
After a full series rewatch, I feel like they're foreshadowing the fact that Bojack's daughter's mother is Bradley's mom. Bojack mentions that he slept with her 20 years ago (when she wasn't gross), and also that he paid for a lot of abortions in the 90s but wasn't sure if the women actually had them. I think that could be pretty interesting, especially if they find a way to bring Bojack to Ethan Around.