Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Gonna laugh if that map just leads to another level of the park. Parks with in the Parks.... or Jurassic Park even and then the park get's run over buy dinosaurs. Like why are there not dinosaurs.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This was a good tv show episode IMO.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

JackDarko posted:

My only complaint is how little screen time Trevor got, that guy is great.

I'm glad he's getting steady work nowadays. He's so great at playing assholes.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Serious question: Are you clinically retarded? We saw them physically interacting with the hosts. The only way it's a virtual world is if that's the twist to my unanswered question.

I guess I was imagining something sorta like the simulation they had in Rick and Morty, except that the NPCs are real life androids. That's just the impression I went in with from the one trailer I watched. No need for name calling.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I was poking around on the official website and found a couple of fun things.

There's a rough map of the park, and it says the map was commissioned at the command of the US government.

It also has a chat bot that talks about things you can do. If you ask it about being g a hero it suggests going to Dolores' ranch to head off bandits. It also states that "Her thankfulness will know no bounds."

I think this ties in nicely with a couple of conversations we saw. Remember that we were introduced to Delores in a conversation with some prostitutes and they said, at least our price is obvious. Well, in game they've made a stereotypical good girl, and they've given her the price as saving her life.

It's also a mirror of black hat's comments for there to be a winner there must be a looser. Let's say you are that "hero" who comes and saves her. Well she has a boyfriend. Who is setup to come too late. Always. He'll never upstage you. And when you save her. Well, I'm sure management have weighted her to choose her new knight in shining armor.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Crash74 posted:

Well this was :krad:. What was up with that underground set though? Was it supposed to be the original park infrastructure from the movie?, I didn't get why the swat team was doing down there, is that where they lock up all the reject robots or something? Had major jurassic world flashbacks.

It's cold storage, they said. I'm sure they pulled new robot Dad out of there when they retired malfunctioning Dad.

Boy Bill, that old model Hopkins had fired up down there was creepy, wasn't he? The herky--jerky movment, the little sounds of servos and poo poo when he moved, that face...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrMojok posted:

It's cold storage, they said. I'm sure they pulled new robot Dad out of there when they retired malfunctioning Dad.

There were a lot of weird escalators in cold storage. I'm going with the "repurposed old set" theory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Boy Bill, that old model Hopkins had fired up down there was creepy, wasn't he? The herky--jerky movment, the little sounds of servos and poo poo when he moved, that face...

New dad was the bartender who got shot I think.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Okay, that dude's face exploded real good.

Also, lolin' at "Paint it, Black" as the robbery music.

This show is great.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Anthony Hopkins sure did a lot of sitting in this.
I quite enjoyed the first episode, hope it does well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

duz posted:

Anthony Hopkins sure did a lot of sitting in this.

Dude is old. Cut him some slack.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Paint It Black was great, but I also enjoyed Black Hole Sun being in there as well.

This was really good, I'm looking forward to next week. How many episodes are there going to be altogether?

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I too liked this episode of this TV program and am looking forward to the next episode. Not sure how it can be a GoT replacement for HBO though, as it seems to be setting up a single, contained storyline rather something that can last for seven seasons.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Aurium posted:

It also has a chat bot that talks about things you can do. If you ask it about being g a hero it suggests going to Dolores' ranch to head off bandits. It also states that "Her thankfulness will know no bounds."

Asking it about laws was creepy as poo poo.

And I think that cold storage was built to look like the old movie, though I haven't watched it in a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Paint It Black was great, but I also enjoyed Black Hole Sun being in there as well.

This was really good, I'm looking forward to next week. How many episodes are there going to be altogether?

Ten episodes this season.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Ten episodes this season.

Sounds good. This is a single-shot series though, yeah?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sounds good. This is a single-shot series though, yeah?

I think it's pretty clear that HBO wants this to take over as their flagship series since GoT has 17 episodes left.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That older android effect was cool as hell. Cold Storage looked like a set right out of the original movie, complete with a 70's style Delos globe.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I read that they had to come up with a fully-gassed 5 season plan for HBO to run this show. The first episode was probably one of the strongest premiers I've ever seen.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

R-Type posted:

I read that they had to come up with a fully-gassed 5 season plan for HBO to run this show. The first episode was probably one of the strongest premiers I've ever seen.

Welp it sure was better than all the blockbuster movies that came out this summer. Better plot / writing, better acting for the most part, original plot, better cgi and practical effects. Funny how a 25 million hbo show that was done right can compete with a 150+ million superhero movie.

e: also i just watched insecure and wow that was pretty poo poo. great waste of money there.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 3, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's probably got a budget of close to around 100 million for the entire season. There's been indication that they spent a gently caress ton on the show. First seasons usually have a higher production value.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Thoroughly enjoyed the first episode.

Loved hearing Paint it Black as poo poo went down. Bust a gut at the neckshot interrupting the speech.

I'm real interested at how they run with it, because it's a great premise, it's just a bit narrow on paths it can take. Much like scripted events. :smug:

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Episode blew me away in less than 30 seconds, having me muttering "holy poo poo" at the creepy 3D-Printed Horses in the opening credits. Kept me exclaiming things like "holy poo poo" throughout the duration. I was particularly blown away by Anthony Hopkins' conversation with Robo-Dad and the crazy emotive poo poo that actor was doing with his face and body language. Haunting poo poo.

edit: This is like SOMA meets Red Dead Revolution, and I would play that game. Oh would I play it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I loved the first episode, this might be the strongest premiere I've seen since The Shield.

The security guy talking about how Dolores has been repaired over and over gives me the willies. The guests love to beat up and butcher the "nice girl" I guess.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

fadam posted:

I loved the first episode, this might be the strongest premiere I've seen since The Shield.

The security guy talking about how Dolores has been repaired over and over gives me the willies. The guests love to beat up and butcher the "nice girl" I guess.

No one vandalizes a garbage dump.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The film has a lot of allegories to Greek myths and Hellenistic philosophy which I think is very interesting.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

I feel like I might be the only person who felt like I was watching a pot that never boiled and by the end of the episode I found out the heat wasn't even on. Nothing about this episode pulled me in and it felt like bad writing, we get introduced to a bunch of characters that I don't care about and nothing really happened that seemed to have gravity. I get that they are trying to show something strange is going on in the park with the hosts, but it didn't have any weight behind it for me. I'll give this a few more episodes before I make a call if the show is good or not, but I do have to say I did feel slightly disappointed at the end. Maybe would have been better with a two episode opener.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

muscles like this? posted:

Something interesting I noticed in the credits is that they had a Faro expert on staff. Kind of funny that they went with a nit picky little detail like that.

Hell, they even got snake wranglers. I don't know why that stuck when watching the credits, but it did. :v:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I liked it, and I am cautiously optimistic in where things are going. The idea of the AI going off the rails or what the rest of the society outside of westworld interests me in particular.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Did anyone associate the "Haven't had an incident in 30 years" that this is actually a continuation of the movie and not a remake per say?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

OptimusMatrix posted:

Did anyone associate the "Haven't had an incident in 30 years" that this is actually a continuation of the movie and not a remake per say?

I also wondered that but that puts us in 40 year territory on our timescale. We'll have to see, though!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yeah I felt like we were led to believe in trailers that Ed Harris would be in the Yul Brynner role and not a tourist that administrators should really be keeping a closer eye on.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

OptimusMatrix posted:

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Would love it if this connected to the movie.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Anyone notice they have cured all disease, but also said that hosts can get sick?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I'm not really up for the pseudointellectual drivel of "how horrible humans are if the normal restraints are taken off" (whatever you wanna call it - banality of evil after Hannah Arendt, perhaps). Or any sort of Pygmalion stuff. But this looks like a brilliant adventure with some great visuals and effects, so I'll probably keep watching while carefully circumspecting all the pseudophilosophy they want to bait us into.

I'm looking forward to the episode where the robots are sentient enough to be evil and cruel towards each other, unprogrammed, though. Probably halfway through Season 2? Unless that's the point of the Ed Harris character (who is also actually a robot, just with some guest privileges and very good memories).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

OptimusMatrix posted:

Doesn't sound like it:

quote:

EW: When we’re told in the premiere that the park “hasn’t had a critical failure in 30 years.” Are we supposed to take the events in the 1973 movie as canon — that everything in the Westworld film happened in this universe – or was that reference not meant to literally be to the film’s events?

Nolan: It’s playful but not meant to be literal. We wanted to connect to the ideas in the original film, but also take a look at this place as a cultural institution that is not new – because these ideas aren’t new. They stretch back to when Crichton was playing with them. We wanted to consider the park in that capacity, as a cultural institution in the manner of a Disney World. We feel like there’s a long story here. Like there’s something so pointed and sad for us about the idea that Dolores, this sort of evergreen frontier girl next door. She’s been that plucky heroine for 30 years.

Joy: She’s that wide-eyed, innocent, always wondering “Oh, when will my life begin? When will it all start?” in that romantic, existential way in which all people do at that phase in their lives. “When will I find my love?”

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Having just watched the movie recently, I loved that they decided to come at this to be sympathetic toward the hosts rather than just set it so we're only following a couple of guests and most of the hosts are irrelevant.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

That actually sounds like a soft yes. That as long as ideas writers don't come up with an idea contradicting the original they want to acknowledge the thread recognizing the idea "the pirates ride broke down and ate everyone".

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

meristem posted:

I'm not really up for the pseudointellectual drivel of "how horrible humans are if the normal restraints are taken off" (whatever you wanna call it - banality of evil after Hannah Arendt, perhaps). Or any sort of Pygmalion stuff. But this looks like a brilliant adventure with some great visuals and effects, so I'll probably keep watching while carefully circumspecting all the pseudophilosophy they want to bait us into.

I got less of 'banality of evil' and more 'people are assholes when there are no consequences' which I think are different things. Definitely an intriguing premiere if not the most original idea (no poo poo given that its based on a decades-old story) and I will definitely keep watching. There is a lot they have to explain to keep it consistent and good but I have faith so far. I didn't like that the "next on Westworld" bit gave a preview of the whole season and seemed to spoil some of the most important (and predictable) parts. All my complaints are really with how it was presented and less with the actual content of the show, so here's hoping it will be as rad as the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah I felt like we were led to believe in trailers that Ed Harris would be in the Yul Brynner role and not a tourist that administrators should really be keeping a closer eye on.

Given they mentioned that there hadn't been an incident in 30 years, and Ed Harris's character mentioned he'd been coming to Westworld for that same amount of time, I'm wondering if he's possibly connected to Delos, like he was the original creator of the 'Host' technology and didn't like what was being done with it, leading to the last recorded 'incident', and now he's trying again to get back at the corporation.

By the end I'm figuring he has a long-time connection to Delores, since she was mentioned as the first host created, and during the second 'cycle' they showed, when Teddy got held up from approaching her by guests, the Man in Black approached her, picked up the can and insinuated 'not today Delores'. Maybe he's trying to trigger something in Delores's programming by repeatedly tormenting her in a specific fashion, but only if the daily 'conditions' are correct. I.E. he'll attack her at night, but only if she has the pre-programmed interaction with Teddy in the morning, and neither are distracted from their normal routine by guests' actions. Otherwise he goes off to try to find information.

I could be way off on my baseless guessing, but who knows.

I've been checking some reviews, and I feel people whining about the sex and violence in the episode are just... missing the point of Westworld. It's a big, hedonistic playground where anything goes because, hey! You can't harm other guests, and the hosts are repaired/memory wiped so it's anything goes! But no, some people are complaining because Ed Harris raped a robot so they completely disregarded everything else.

• Locked thread