Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Well this episode was loving fantastic, really hope the rest of the season keeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

my bony fealty posted:

I got less of 'banality of evil' and more 'people are assholes when there are no consequences' which I think are different things.
Stanford prison experiment, maybe, then. Or Hobbes' Leviathan. The such. I don't want to quarrel the details.

I'm really most intrigued by what Ed Harris discovers, because it seems to tie in with the goals of the 'management'. And these will be probably so monumental and overblown as to wrap around to be utterly ridiculous.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Episode rocked. My only concern is how they will keep it interesting for multiple seasons. Someone earlier mentioned a five season plan, but at first glance this seems like anything longer than a single season miniseries will drag the plot out way too slowly. The vibe I get from the corporate people is that they are perfectly willing to take any robot offline if it so much as smells like it's malfunctioning. I hope they can balance satisfying development for the characters with them being able to effectively hide that development.

It's impossible not to draw comparisons with Dollhouse, which suffered from the problem of dangling a big mystery over the audience's head so you'd get angry at otherwise good "filler" episodes because they didn't advance the overarching plot.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Gonna laugh if that map just leads to another level of the park. Parks with in the Parks.... or Jurassic Park even and then the park get's run over buy dinosaurs. Like why are there not dinosaurs.

They're hinting heavily at a big secret behind the park with the conversation on the balcony, where it's mentioned there's some sort of hidden purpose to the park known only to management.

Lots of threads left lying around in the episode. For instance, there's a line the security guy gives Bernard about how he must not have any kids at home yet we see him looking at a photo of what is presumably his son. And it's a physical photo, just like the one found by the creepy malfunctioning Shakespeare quoting robot dad. Hopefully they're not going with the staff being robots too because that would be way too on the nose.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pilot was great. Really cool of them to turn the gunslinger from an android into a human for the show, hunting down other androids instead of hunting down guests.

Ed Harris owns, Hopkins was alright, hopefully we get a bunch more of him playing god this season. The other human characters were pretty good, although I'm not a fan of Sidse Knudsens accent. After watching her in Borgen speaking amazing English with an accent, it sounded weird for her to be speaking a kind of neutral American accent. Very minor, but she sounds a bit weird.

As for people wondering if it is a VR, no. The 'game masters' (lets just say) are running it all from a control centre which has a nice world map and no doubt cameras all over the place so they can keep tabs on things. We see them enter Westworld to clean up the milkmurder scene and take the androids away for testing.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I bet the androids that gain sentience are used by the management in some way

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
The soundtrack OMG.

Rolling Stones - paint it black, Oasis - Black Hole Sun.

It's subtle and fantastic.

HardKase fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 3, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I do find it a little hard to believe that Ed Harris can start doing crazy things without management knowing (if it starts going down that rabbit hole hard). Or maybe they want him to do it...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

"Ugh, Teddy."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hmmm, not sure I'd say subtle

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

theflyingexecutive posted:

Hmmm, not sure I'd say subtle

Ha, well it wasn't Star Trek level beastie boys.

At least they made it western sounding. My GF didn't even realise it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

HardKase posted:

The soundtrack OMG.

Soundgarden, not Oasis.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Show is dope as gently caress and I sure hope that HBO has another hit on it's hands.

I hope we get more from King Xerxes and his merry band of scumbags.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I loved the goddamn Star Destroyer style controls in the holo room.

Someone call goddamn OSHA!

And for a series about bio-robots "getting woke", the fact that this was the only thing that broke my immersion is very good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ah poo poo, you beat me to it. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who noticed that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

drunkill posted:

As for people wondering if it is a VR, no.

We spend a good 20 minutes of the premiere watching robots being assembled by super advanced machinery, we have scenes with staff watching the robots get dipped in liquid skin, and yet more scenes where they're talking to the robots naked on chairs during diagnostic sessions.

Yep, must be VR :doh:

Goons.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HardKase posted:

The soundtrack OMG.

And Johnny Cash for the final credits.

Can't wait to hear what else Nolan will use, if the Person of Interest soundtrack is anything to go by :allears:

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

HardKase posted:

The soundtrack OMG.

I'm not a music person. What is it about the soundtrack?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

meristem posted:

It was a very well done player piano version of a prolific grunge song and one of Rolling Stones biggest hits. It was cool hearing those songs done in that fashion. No idea if there's anything more to it then that. The rest of the music in the show was awesome, done by Riman Djawadi who is also a composer for Game of Thrones

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Speaking of anachronistic Soundgarden covers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6RD6mjiIZE

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the use of player piano in general was pretty drat smart, given it's an example of a robot imitating a human that you could have found on the Western frontier.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anthony Hopkins is making the point that all of us, whether robotic or human, whether motivated by programming or greed, are player pianos. Thus, what really will be the difference between us and them once their robotic technology is perfected. Once we, "have gone as far as we can" as he said, what really is the use of investing in human life anymore. That is clearly the perspective of the management. Some day we will become the hosts to our own creation.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah I wish they hadn't overplayed their hand in the first episode. It seems a bit, wait for it

telegraphed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

New dad was the bartender who got shot I think.

Ah, I think you are right. And they did say old Dad had previously been the sheriff, as well as the leader of a pack of cannibals.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

meristem posted:

The music is anachronistic: a reminder that what you're watching isn't quite right and artificial.

You know how people get all mad when something looks wrong in a movie, whether it's CGI or a scene where you can tell the background is a painting or whatever? People complain that it "takes them out of the movie".

That's what the music here does, intentionally.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gangringo posted:

Episode rocked. My only concern is how they will keep it interesting for multiple seasons. Someone earlier mentioned a five season plan, but at first glance this seems like anything longer than a single season miniseries will drag the plot out way too slowly. The vibe I get from the corporate people is that they are perfectly willing to take any robot offline if it so much as smells like it's malfunctioning. I hope they can balance satisfying development for the characters with them being able to effectively hide that development.

It's impossible not to draw comparisons with Dollhouse, which suffered from the problem of dangling a big mystery over the audience's head so you'd get angry at otherwise good "filler" episodes because they didn't advance the overarching plot.

Given that Person of Interest started as just a cop show and ended up with two AIs waging literal war against each other, I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the things mentioned in this episode become huge arcs later on.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I assumed the "big secret" is that they want to transfer human consciousness to the hosts. Anthony Hopkins mentions that the last big challenge is bringing people back from the dead and "one day we'll be able to do that too"

They also ask why the constant drive to make the robots more realistic and hint at an anterior motive with the "chasing personal demons" comment.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

The Dave posted:

I do find it a little hard to believe that Ed Harris can start doing crazy things without management knowing (if it starts going down that rabbit hole hard). Or maybe they want him to do it...

The other possibility is that he's not doing anything out of the ordinary. They might just be blasé about guests raping, mutilating and torturing hosts because that's exactly what they pay good money for. He says he's been going there for 30 years so he probably knows exactly how far he can push it without raising any eyebrows.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I'm bummed there's not a place for me to put that Paint it Black soundtrack on loop. I *loved* how it sort of faded in all nondescript, at first just sounding familiar in the sense of "Oh, this is just a generic western track", then eventually hammering home that no, this is in fact a Stones song being used as the backdrop for a shootout.

InfiniteZero posted:

The music is anachronistic: a reminder that what you're watching isn't quite right and artificial.

You know how people get all mad when something looks wrong in a movie, whether it's CGI or a scene where you can tell the background is a painting or whatever? People complain that it "takes them out of the movie".

That's what the music here does, intentionally.

Thank you, I'm gonna have to steal this point when talking about the show because that's a real clever use of music.

I'm sort of wondering if they're going to be able to keep that up - licensing songs like that can't be cheap.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Celery Jello posted:

I'm sort of wondering if they're going to be able to keep that up - licensing songs like that can't be cheap.

Aren't instrumental covers of songs a bit cheaper to license than the original?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Watching it again I just want to say that the team that worked on the older generation android that Hopkins was talking to should get a loving award.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I assumed the "big secret" is that they want to transfer human consciousness to the hosts. Anthony Hopkins mentions that the last big challenge is bringing people back from the dead and "one day we'll be able to do that too"

They also ask why the constant drive to make the robots more realistic and hint at an anterior motive with the "chasing personal demons" comment.

I assumed it was some kind of military application, but this is far more interesting.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

The other possibility is that he's not doing anything out of the ordinary. They might just be blasé about guests raping, mutilating and torturing hosts because that's exactly what they pay good money for. He says he's been going there for 30 years so he probably knows exactly how far he can push it without raising any eyebrows.

Yeah I think that's part of the appeal to Westworld. One of the guys on the train said that the last time he was there he went straight evil for two weeks.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

insideoutsider posted:

Aren't instrumental covers of songs a bit cheaper to license than the original?

Yes. You only have to buy the rights to synchronize a recording of the composition to whatever audiovisuals you want instead of having to license the use of the original recording AND the synchronization rights.

e: Also I hope to god there's no military application subplot. I'd assume not because military applications would be good for shareholders and there's a split between the profit motive and what the upper management is aiming for.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
For whatever reason I could NOT pull what the gunfight song was- of course it was Paint It Black, my memory must be corrupted.

I really enjoyed the idea of the hosts as NPCs in an RPG- beckoning guests to join them on a quest, or showing them horses or whatever. Delores saying "why, it doesn't look like anything to me" repeatedly was really interesting.

Maybe everyone else got this but I just realized that the host who went psychotic and was pouring milk on corpses was remembering the overnight repair cycle and trying to bring his comrades back to life. Creepy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MrMojok posted:

Ah, I think you are right. And they did say old Dad had previously been the sheriff, as well as the leader of a pack of cannibals.

Yep, closing credits referred to that character as Bartender/Dad. I thought that it was a cool touch that after the really chilling Abernathy scene, Delores 'repeated' her usual routine, greeted her dad, and it showed her 'new' father.

E: With the 'milk', I'm assuming that's actually some kind of... android supplement or something? The milk pouring out of the bullet hole when the renegade host was going slaughter crazy was a neat visual.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 3, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Calling: Dolores contains the soul of Anthony Hopkins' deceased daughter.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Watching it again I just want to say that the team that worked on the older generation android that Hopkins was talking to should get a loving award.

Agreed. The subtle ticks. Tiny hesitations of movement and more were wonderful. Was he played by Michael Wincott?

The Insect Court posted:

Hopefully they're not going with the staff being robots too because that would be way too on the nose.

This struck me extremely hard when Hopkins asked Cullen to leave so that he and the head programmer could interview the dad.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Somebody pointed out that if you look at HBO's site there is an AI you can talk to there. Asking certain questions gets responses like "There are no laws that can be broken in Westworld" and "You can do whatever you like at Westworld. Satisfy all your urges and desires, totally without consequence"

They know that people like Ed Harris are doing these types of things, and just dont seem to care.

It's interesting to look at Crichton's vision, in the script he wrote for the 1972 film, then look at today where we have games like GTA where the player can be an absolute sociopath. I've seen youtube videos where people play the Sims, and do nothing but torment the little AI characters. Things like remove all doors to a house and set it on fire with the characters inside, or separate a mother from her baby, putting the baby in a doorless room with a window, where all the mother can do is see the baby through the window and sit there and wail.

For anyone who hasn't seen the original film, here is Yul Brynner's first scene. Richard Benjamin's buddy has to egg him on to respond to the gunslinger's taunts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RwNqorvjtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think its interesting examination of stoicism or at least Aristotle's stoicism. Also, the the people who run the park live on Mount Olympus. You also have the questions of the ship of Theseus with Dolores.

• Locked thread