Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some products have digital registration now. You can do it at the point when you need the warranty in a majority of cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Khablam posted:

It will be very limiting over a long period of time (memory channels probably being the worst offender - 2 dimms, single channel)
H110 motherboards support dual channel memory. You just get only one DIMM slot per channel.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So my r9 290 is kaput. Anything wrong with this deal for a 1070 http://slickdeals.net/f/9136875-evga-08g-p4-6171-kr-geforce-gtx-1070-acx-3-0-357-jet-com?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1 ?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nope - just don't elect to waive free returns - the downside to Jet is that while most of the time your order will be fulfilled by a vendor you might voluntarily give your CC/Debit info to, occasionally it gets fulfilled by more unsavory characters who could theoretically send you a brick in a box (or a card that wasn't what you ordered). It's not worth the few dollars to waive free returns just for that sake, and be sure to inventory your card when you receive it - match up what's included with what's in the photo of it at Newegg to ensure you're not getting an Open Box card masquerading as new.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 2, 2016

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
I bought a new PC about 2 years ago and I have been noticing that I can't run games in ultra these days anymore. I just looked into my upgrade options - which surprisingly don't seem to be very appealing. Is there anything I can upgrade that'll give me a good return on investment? What I'm running right now:

i5-3570k 3.4ghz overclocked to 4ghz~ (is an i5-6600k much of an upgrade?)
gtx 970 (is a 1070 much of an upgrade?)
interl z77 board with 8gb ddr3 (is 16gb much of an upgrade?)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Despoiler posted:

I bought a new PC about 2 years ago and I have been noticing that I can't run games in ultra these days anymore. I just looked into my upgrade options - which surprisingly don't seem to be very appealing. Is there anything I can upgrade that'll give me a good return on investment? What I'm running right now:

i5-3570k 3.4ghz overclocked to 4ghz~ (is an i5-6600k much of an upgrade?)
interl z77 board with 8gb ddr3 (is 16gb much of an upgrade?)

Yeah the GPU would be the single biggest thing. I'd look at a 1070 (would be a massive upgrade) or a 1060 if you're playing at 1080p and don't plan on going to 1440p or more soon. I'd get a 16gb kit as well since that's so cheap these days.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah the GPU would be the single biggest thing. I'd look at a 1070 (would be a massive upgrade) or a 1060 if you're playing at 1080p and don't plan on going to 1440p or more soon. I'd get a 16gb kit as well since that's so cheap these days.
Great, thanks for the advice

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Despoiler posted:

Great, thanks for the advice

It's also worth mentioning that games these days have a lot higher ceiling for 'ultra' than they used to - this is a good thing! It means that you can still enjoy fantastic graphics but you can spend (a lot) more and get an experience that improves with your system specs. The Ultra of yesteryear is the High of today.

I have a 980ti overclocked to 1500mhz, i7 overclocked to 4.6ghz, etc etc and I can't run new games in Ultra (for 1440p).

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nope - just don't elect to waive free returns - the downside to Jet is that while most of the time your order will be fulfilled by a vendor you might voluntarily give your CC/Debit info to, occasionally it gets fulfilled by more unsavory characters who could theoretically send you a brick in a box (or a card that wasn't what you ordered). It's not worth the few dollars to waive free returns just for that sake, and be sure to inventory your card when you receive it - match up what's included with what's in the photo of it at Newegg to ensure you're not getting an Open Box card masquerading as new.

Cool. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on this deal. Thanks for the advice.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have any headset recommendations?

I had a Turtle Beach x12 for like 5 years but then it died, and replaced it with another x12, but it is definitely not of the same build quality and I'd like to find one that is a bit better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I had a Turtle Beach x12 for like 5 years but then it died, and replaced it with another x12, but it is definitely not of the same build quality and I'd like to find one that is a bit better.

Not sure if this will be a popular recommendation with the other nerds who post in this thread but I am a strong believer in getting a proper set of headphones and having your mic be a separate thing - I use a $20 mic that sits on my desk out of the way between my monitors, a better solution is the ModMic which clips onto your headphones and makes them into a headset.

The reason I feel this way is that your $ goes a lot further in terms of audio quality when you buy headphones - they aren't inflating the price of the product with OMGZ G4MING poo poo like LED's and programmable buttons, etc. Headphones will also be better in my experience for overall enjoyment with movies, music, etc other media that you enjoy when you aren't gaming. You can get a great set of headphones without needing a headphone amp (especially if your motherboard has a built-in sound card/amplifier as many do these days).

As far as actual recommendations then, If you want an around-ear closed-back headphone, the AKG stuff is really comfortable and sounds amazing. I loved my AKG 271 mkii, I've heard good things about the AKG 240 mkii which is significantly less expensive (check amazon). My current headphones are Shure SRH 1540's but they're probably only 15% better than the AKG 272mkii's that cost 1/3 as much so you really get the most for your money around the $150 USD mark.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I just wanted to reiterate how important keeping your case clean is.

I play overwatch almost daily ( all high/enabled but shadows and fog only to low @1080p 60hz) and realized the front filters on my case we almost completely clogged after a couple months. Went from 75c avg to 65-66c. Gtx 670 blower for reference.

tldr: clean the dust out of your filters, oh pretty please.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Cool. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on this deal. Thanks for the advice.

No problem - since you're ordering an EVGA card, their boxes have a nifty little window on the back that has a sticker that should match the sticker on the card inside the window. It's the easiest way - at a glance, that is - to determine if the box matches the card, because it'd take a pretty determined fraudulent seller to fake warranty stickers. It should also line up pretty seamlessly when coming straight from a storehouse, too - if it's askew, give the card a really close look-over and be sure to check that the warranty hasn't already been activated on it before.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Every so often the Sennheiser G4ME series will go on sale at Amazon for ~$150, but seeing as that's three times what those Turtle Beaches retail for, I think that might be swinging a bit too much for the fences. The Logitech Artemis G633 is ~$85 at Amazon, if that's a bit more palatable. Headsets are a bit like PSUs, except when you go cheap with a headset, it's $30 every year versus potentially killing your computer.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 3, 2016

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Not sure if this will be a popular recommendation with the other nerds who post in this thread but I am a strong believer in getting a proper set of headphones and having your mic be a separate thing - I use a $20 mic that sits on my desk out of the way between my monitors, a better solution is the ModMic which clips onto your headphones and makes them into a headset.

The reason I feel this way is that your $ goes a lot further in terms of audio quality when you buy headphones - they aren't inflating the price of the product with OMGZ G4MING poo poo like LED's and programmable buttons, etc. Headphones will also be better in my experience for overall enjoyment with movies, music, etc other media that you enjoy when you aren't gaming. You can get a great set of headphones without needing a headphone amp (especially if your motherboard has a built-in sound card/amplifier as many do these days).

As far as actual recommendations then, If you want an around-ear closed-back headphone, the AKG stuff is really comfortable and sounds amazing. I loved my AKG 271 mkii, I've heard good things about the AKG 240 mkii which is significantly less expensive (check amazon). My current headphones are Shure SRH 1540's but they're probably only 15% better than the AKG 272mkii's that cost 1/3 as much so you really get the most for your money around the $150 USD mark.

Ehhh I prefer the sennheiser game ones, my reason is with a mod mic (which I have) I tended to tug the mic cable accidentally and have the mic boom rotate around the mount resulting in the sponge covered tip flying into my eye followed by a string of expletives

But maybe I'm just retarded. Fwiw the game ones sound pretty good too. Used audio technica a700s, beyerdynamic 990pros, Bose qc25s and Aiaiai tma1s before the senns. Also Weston's um2s, pro20s and apple earbuds but holy loly at the soundstage. I've no idea how the pros do it at lan competitions

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Audio Technica ATH-M50xs tend to go for $150 and are fantastic for the price.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Despoiler posted:

VelociBacon posted:

Do note that a 1060 is a very small upgrade from a 970. If you want ultra settings in games like Mankind Divided that really give your GPU a run for its money I'd get a 1070 even for 1080p.

EDIT: Although Mankind Divided basically requires a Titan XP for a solid 60 at 1080p ultra so that might not be a fair set of ultra settings to gauge your GPU performance on.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 3, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, the 1060 6GB is effectively a 980Ti without the 'Ti' part. Same frame buffer, 980 speed. The 1060 3GB is closer to the 970, and only really recommended if you're not planning on buying many A-List console port games in the next few years.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Hey, I have a GeForce GTX 760 and I was thinking about a long-overdue upgrade and I was just wondering why there are 1060s out there for cheaper than the card I already have.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I can see GTX 760s on Ebay for less than 150 bux, I kinda doubt you can buy a 1060 for that anywhere other than out of a white van.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I was considering selling the GTX 760 from my previous build and saw listings on eBay for less than €100. You can't find a GTX 1060 for that price.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Khablam posted:

It will be very limiting over a long period of time (memory channels probably being the worst offender - 2 dimms, single channel) and a significant hassle to replace. It smells suspiciously of cost saving. When people say "don't buy pre-builds they cut corners" this is what they're talking about. They are usually no-name boards with terrible sound, poor connection options, etc.
I mean it won't be a bottleneck or anything, but you might want to find out what you're actually getting at that price.

I mostly agree with you but small correction, H110 isn't limited to single channel - it's 2 channels, 1 DIMM per channel.

e: should have refreshed the page before posting, someone already said this a long time ago, sorry

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Every so often the Sennheiser G4ME series will go on sale at Amazon for ~$150, but seeing as that's three times what those Turtle Beaches retail for, I think that might be swinging a bit too much for the fences. The Logitech Artemis G633 is ~$85 at Amazon, if that's a bit more palatable. Headsets are a bit like PSUs, except when you go cheap with a headset, it's $30 every year versus potentially killing your computer.

I had a pair of Sennheiser earbuds that I loved until they died after many years. Love to get something with that sound quality again. Any recommendation for which of the gaming series headsets?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I had a pair of Sennheiser earbuds that I loved until they died after many years. Love to get something with that sound quality again. Any recommendation for which of the gaming series headsets?

Earbuds are able to produce great quality at a low price and I'd be surprised if you found something non-earbud that you liked as much. You can probably find the same set on eBay if you loved them.

janbanan
Jun 4, 2003
I recently got a used dual Xeon setup for cheap. This motherboard, two of these and a bunch of ecc memory. Problem is I can't get it to POST when I have both CPUs installed. The diagnostic led display on the motherboard just says FF and stays there. No beeps either. The board boots fine when there is only one CPU installed, in either socket. Looking around on the net, it seems like it might be a power supply issue. I have tried a CORSAIR RM1000x 1000W, and a Evga EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W 80 PLUS Gold. Same result with both. Is my motherboard hosed or do I need a better power supply?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I honestly prefer the GAME ZERO I bought for myself as a birthday present. There's something nice about open air headphones as opposed to closed. You don't get that "swimmer's ear" effect wearing them over long periods, and the GAME series added removable/swappable cords for PC/Console use. Other than that, they're basically HD555s with a mic built in.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
SOmeone convinced me to buy an i5 6600k and I have no idea how to overclock it. Help!!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I honestly prefer the GAME ZERO I bought for myself as a birthday present. There's something nice about open air headphones as opposed to closed. You don't get that "swimmer's ear" effect wearing them over long periods, and the GAME series added removable/swappable cords for PC/Console use. Other than that, they're basically HD555s with a mic built in.

Game zero is closed back though..?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Game zero is closed back though..?

Sorry, the GAME ONE, then. I always get them mixed up, and I own a pair. Whoever named them was a moron.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

janbanan posted:

I recently got a used dual Xeon setup for cheap. This motherboard, two of these and a bunch of ecc memory. Problem is I can't get it to POST when I have both CPUs installed. The diagnostic led display on the motherboard just says FF and stays there. No beeps either. The board boots fine when there is only one CPU installed, in either socket. Looking around on the net, it seems like it might be a power supply issue. I have tried a CORSAIR RM1000x 1000W, and a Evga EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W 80 PLUS Gold. Same result with both. Is my motherboard hosed or do I need a better power supply?

I bought an old supermicro board of the same vintage recently and luckily mine worked, but I did have some issues with the ram slots. I think due to wear or dust it took a couple of reseating/dusting the slots to get the RAM to make good contact. It's also possible the uncommon standoff positions have a standoff shorting something on the back of the board. You can also try reseating the hardware and clearing the CMOS just to be sure. As long as your PSU can provide 150-200 Watts and you've got two 8pin EPS power (CPU power) you should be alright. I bought a PCI-E to EPS adapter but my system is using a 450 Watt PSU. If nothing else works it's time to send the motherboard back.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lavender Philtrum posted:

SOmeone convinced me to buy an i5 6600k and I have no idea how to overclock it. Help!!

Someone in this thread can post more details, but I thought this guide was helpful: http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

For dummies like me, basically you just modify two settings in the BIOS.

You want to raise the multiplier as high as possible (for that processor most people are using a number around 44). However, the higher you go, the more likely the system will crash unless you raise the voltage.
You will need to raise the voltage to get the system stable. (most people are using 1.35v, and don't ever go over 1.45v). However, the higher you go with this number, the higher the CPU temperature will be and you need to have a safe maximum temperature (under 80 C is what most people aim for, I think?).

Download HWinfo64 to see what your CPU temperatures are, and a stress test (there are some in the above link) to make sure your settings are both stable and at a safe temperature when at full load

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I am feeling pretty dumb right now, I am trying to get the front panel off this Cooler Master n200 and I can't figure it out. Trying to get at the drive so I can install my SSD.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

What do you guys think about these prebuilts from microcenter?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467635/G313_Desktop_Computer

Seems like a pretty good deal.

God drat I'm lazy and really just want to buy a prebuilt like this. I wish this was available in Canada. Anyone know where I should be actively looking for solid prebuilt PC's available in Ontario?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

axelsoar posted:

I am feeling pretty dumb right now, I am trying to get the front panel off this Cooler Master n200 and I can't figure it out. Trying to get at the drive so I can install my SSD.

I haven't used one of those cases but it looks like you just pull on the bottom which is how it's done on my phanteks:
http://themodzoo.com/2013/05/cooler-master-n200-review/2/
It's the third picture down on that review.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rexxed posted:

I haven't used one of those cases but it looks like you just pull on the bottom which is how it's done on my phanteks:
http://themodzoo.com/2013/05/cooler-master-n200-review/2/
It's the third picture down on that review.

Got it, thanks. In the process of prying the front off I sent the screws flying everywhere, but I figured out you just attach the SSD to the bottom of the bay, which is kinda cool.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
-snip wrong thread-

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 4, 2016

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Starting to think about upgrading my system built in early 2014. I'm currently running:
-MB ASROCK|B85M PRO4 LGA1150 R
-4Gx2|G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
-PSU ROSEWILL| CAPSTONE-450 450W RT
-Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz
-AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Running at 1080p mostly for gaming.

Forza Horizon 3 along with Doom2016 are perfectly playable on low/medium settings, but are kind of ugly.

I'm thinking of either just upgrading the GPU to something more modern, or waiting until I can get a whole new build if that won't be much of an upgrade in terms of day to day performance.

Strongly considering something that could maybe run VR a few years down the line and am thinking about jumping ship to an nvidia card, if that helps in weighing options. Thoughts?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Both options are viable and will provide a big performance increase, though your processor is still pretty good. If you decide to go for an entirely new build, this thread can help you with that.

For the graphics card, what's your monitor frequency? If it's just 1080p60Hz, a GTX 1060 or RX 480 will do just fine, with the former being somewhat better and more expensive. However, if you want to be able to do VR comfortably, it might be better to consider a GTX 1070. 1080 is also a possibility if you have the money, though it's overkill for your current monitor.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Just a GPU upgrade will be fine, the 6GB GTX 1060 (basically any model of it as long as it doesn't have a blower-type cooler) should be up your alley. If you want a bigger upgrade, a 1070 is overkill right now but should prepare you better for future releases and VR, while allowing you to crank up settings in games that really let you bring your computer to its knees like the new Deus Ex. You could also add 8GB of RAM while you're at it.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Right on, that's what I was thinking. Current monitor is locked at 60, but it's next on my upgrade list after new headphones. Gonna hold out for a deal on the 1070 I think. That falls right in my sweet spot of "gently caress it I just got paid this week" type of frivolous purchase. Just wasn't sure if my other bits were gonna hold me back much. Would it be worthwhile to grab some more RAM? And will the 1070 be compatible with my mobo? I understand the newer cards are more energy efficient so it should be fine with my power supply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Right on, that's what I was thinking. Current monitor is locked at 60, but it's next on my upgrade list after new headphones. Gonna hold out for a deal on the 1070 I think. That falls right in my sweet spot of "gently caress it I just got paid this week" type of frivolous purchase. Just wasn't sure if my other bits were gonna hold me back much. Would it be worthwhile to grab some more RAM? And will the 1070 be compatible with my mobo? I understand the newer cards are more energy efficient so it should be fine with my power supply?

Right now you can snag an EVGA 1070 for ~$360 via Jet.com, just read up a bit and you'll find the slickdeals link and my advice for not getting hosed in ordering from them (don't elect to waive free returns).

The deals aren't going to get much better than that. If anything, the only cards we'll probably see Black Friday deals on will be the 1060s. The prices on even the 6GB cards are getting insane and flirting with $219 (as they've already hit $229 with a rebate). On Black Friday I'd say there's a very high possibility of a $189-199 6GB 1060, and maybe a $139-149 3GB 1060, just going on current pricing.

Here's a direct link to the post to save you the looking: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post464902377

Jet also has a current 3x15% off code - TRIPLE15, which gives you 15% off your first three purchases (with a max discount of $30), so if you went with the 1070 you could immediately make another purchase of a 2x8 DDR3 kit. DDR3's about to start going up in price, because the stockpile isn't going to last forever. To my knowledge I think all DDR3 lines are now shut down save for DDR3L.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 4, 2016