Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Guys. GUYS. Link Between Worlds is so good. So. Good.

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's like coming home.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My least favorite thing about Link Between Worlds is that you only hear Yuga Battle once

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm playing Hero mode for the first time, and boy howdy have I died like a hundred times but the exploration is so fun and aaaaaaaaa

Oh yeah. gently caress Lynels. I know I don't even have the Master Sword, but gently caress you, I'm gonna explore absolutely everywhere!

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 1, 2016

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Reinanigans posted:

I'm playing Hero mode for the first time, and boy howdy have I died like a hundred times but the exploration is so fun and aaaaaaaaa

Oh yeah. gently caress Lynels. I know I don't even have the Master Sword, but gently caress you, I'm gonna explore absolutely everywhere!

Haha yeah, I've died just once (not in hero mode) and it was because I didn't remember how stupid tough those things are.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Everyone in link between worlds is a alternate version of a Hyrule person right? I can't figure out who Yuga is though, doesn't seem to be a lorule aghanim.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

greatn posted:

Everyone in link between worlds is a alternate version of a Hyrule person right? I can't figure out who Yuga is though, doesn't seem to be a lorule aghanim.
Alternate fat girl?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

greatn posted:

I think he's the Lorule Ganondorf. He's got a long nose and red hair, plus a jewel on his forehead. And he kidnaps Zelda.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah if Nintendo went the route of Lorule Link and Lorule Zelda, Yuga is likely just Lorule Ganondorf.

Who is Lorule Demise? I like to think he's some sort of T-Rex with sunglasses.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Actually, fanart of various Lorule Counterparts would be cool to see.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

The only disappointing part of Aribter's Grounds is that you don't get to keep the sweet giant cursed sword that powers the giant dragon skull boss. I was heartbroken.

I've always been super disappointed that no alternate weapons ever came back since OOT. The Biggorn's Sword was hands down my absolute favorite and whenever I'd re-play it I'd start the dungeons just enough to get the items so I could immediately go get the sword. BoTW looks like it'll finally give me that experience again, assuming there are "relic" weapons scattered in permanent spots in the over world that never break or at least don't do the flashy shatter and can be repaired for a fee.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

greatn posted:

Nope. Almost none of the sages have Lorule counterparts. Yuga might be the counterpart to Impa though, as they are both the princess's advisers in each respective world.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

The White Dragon posted:

My least favorite thing about Link Between Worlds is that you only hear Yuga Battle once

Clearly the worst aspect is the lack of yellow/purple hat on the blue/red tunic.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

pentyne posted:

I've always been super disappointed that no alternate weapons ever came back since OOT. The Biggorn's Sword was hands down my absolute favorite and whenever I'd re-play it I'd start the dungeons just enough to get the items so I could immediately go get the sword. BoTW looks like it'll finally give me that experience again, assuming there are "relic" weapons scattered in permanent spots in the over world that never break or at least don't do the flashy shatter and can be repaired for a fee.
Well, there's the Great Fairy's Sword...

And in WW you at least got to pick up Darknut swords and Moblin polearms and wave them around until the next time you went through a door.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cave of Shadows on Hero mode might be too hard for me. Armos are not enemies meant to be fought as a wolf

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mabels big day posted:

Cave of Shadows on Hero mode might be too hard for me. Armos are not enemies meant to be fought as a wolf

neither are archers

gently caress the cave of shadows.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, there's the Great Fairy's Sword...

And in WW you at least got to pick up Darknut swords and Moblin polearms and wave them around until the next time you went through a door.

Windwaker is my favorite Zelda, but I do wish it had been given an extra year to bake so they could implement some of those cut ideas.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Geostomp posted:

Windwaker is my favorite Zelda, but I do wish it had been given an extra year to bake so they could implement some of those cut ideas.

I was always expecting a second half of the game going back and forth from submerged Hyrule, and never quite got over that disappointment to raise the game much higher in my opinion.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

My favorite part of ALBW was wandering around and ending up way in the mountains in that big volcano when I only had like four hearts and trying desperately not to get owned to death. It reminded me of playing LttP when I was little and just wandering between screens beating up idiot knights until I wound up somewhere way to dangerous and got splatted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Geostomp posted:

For what it's worth, you've actually seen the cut dungeons. They got migrated to later Zelda games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For what it's worth, you've actually seen the cut dungeons. They got migrated to later Zelda games.

As far as we can assume, at least. All we have to go on is 'volcano dungeon' and 'ice dungeon', which isn't exactly useful to trace them as Zelda dungeons. We can assume those same games and dungeons would've incorporated the iron boots and power bracelets (or similar), but that's not a guarantee.

The volcano one probably became the Goron Mines in Twilight Princess. I can't confidently guess what became of Ice Ring Isle. The there's Great Fish Isle, which is theoretical at best and gives us no hints.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
One of my favorite cut ideas from Wind Waker that we never get to see wasn't dungeons, it was Link aging from a child to a young adult over the course of the story. As in, just because the storyline simply took place over the course of years without using time travel nonsense a la Ocarina of Time. It would've been interesting watch characters also age and change with the story. The closest thing we got to that was the rich and poor family on Outset Isle swapped places, and even just that was really cool.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Philip Rivers posted:

My favorite part of ALBW was wandering around and ending up way in the mountains in that big volcano when I only had like four hearts and trying desperately not to get owned to death. It reminded me of playing LttP when I was little and just wandering between screens beating up idiot knights until I wound up somewhere way to dangerous and got splatted.

It was cool to play a Zelda game with non-linear dungeon order. Putting all the equipment outside the dungeons and paywalling it with rupees instead was an interesting take on the old formula and I think it actually worked well.

ALBW is definitely one of the better Zelda games and probably the best one to come out in recent years IMO.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

If they do that nonlinear dungeon design again, I want to see challenges for items instead of just some jerk in a shop. It's nowhere near as rewarding to the way ALbW did it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Geostomp posted:

If they do that nonlinear dungeon design again, I want to see challenges for items instead of just some jerk in a shop. It's nowhere near as rewarding to the way ALbW did it.

Yeah, I think if the items were hidden in the overworld with little stories and characters tied to them would of been better.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, I think if the items were hidden in the overworld with little stories and characters tied to them would of been better.

It's weird though, because some of the most important items like the Pegasus Boots, Power Glove, the Bottles, and the Warp Bell work exactly like that. It's surprising that they haven't tried it with stuff like the Hammer at all.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really think BotW is going to continue with ALBW's system of item purchase, but instead of rupees, those soul orbs are going to be the currency.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder if that was ever the initial plan from the outset but they scrapped it.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I could see that. "Spend 3 orbs now for X item, OR hold out until you have 5 orbs and get a different/stronger item."

That would be good if the tradeoffs were balanced, like sacrifice defense for more magic strength, etc.

Do you think it would be for non-breakable things? Might be weird if you invest time and effort to save up for a weapon or something that wears out like everything else.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wonder if that was ever the initial plan from the outset but they scrapped it.

This is how the upgrade system works, with the little shell duders.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My current guess is that repair comes into the game at some point, followed by permience. Like, Douglo the Blacksmith will repair your bow, or improve its durability, but you'll eventually come across (or build!) that completely badass techbow from the promo art and wont have to worry about bows breaking ever again.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Okay I'll be on board as long as Douglo has some weird eye or haircut and goes on strange tangents about his life outside work.

Solve the deku scrub infestation inside his hot air balloon and then you can get discounted prices on item repairs. Plus a lapel pin in the shape of his face.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

coffeecup posted:

Okay I'll be on board as long as Douglo has some weird eye or haircut and goes on strange tangents about his life outside work.

He'll confide in you that he's secretly worried his son is more handsome than he is.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
^^^
yeahhhh I'm gonna mainline that poo poo, it's pure Zelda

You got 5 minutes to paraglide some hot soup to his brother Muglo or else the spices lose flavor.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 3, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

coffeecup posted:

But I meant more along the lines of Majora's Mask where most of the things you find on the Overworld were connected to some character and you helped them with some problem they had. I loved helping everyone.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Oh oh yeah. That would be neat to see again. When it's the basis of a game like "learn the origin of Link's SWORD or his HAT" it kinda falls flat. I don't care why his clothing is green.

I'm not sure why, but it definitely works better as little self-contained story vignettes like "I'm a kid and I'm too sick to catch bugs, borrow my net for a bit so I can play outside vicariously."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite of those was the Twilight Princess Iron Boots being a tool with which to not get schooled at Goron wrestling. That worked really well as a justification for what's honestly one of the weirder Zelda staple items to justify, as well as doing really well to imply its other purposes.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cleretic posted:

My favorite of those was the Twilight Princess Iron Boots being a tool with which to not get schooled at Goron wrestling. That worked really well as a justification for what's honestly one of the weirder Zelda staple items to justify, as well as doing really well to imply its other purposes.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want. That the Gorons don't seem to notice or care that you're blatantly cheating them is a plus for downplayed humor.

I kind of like the idea of dungeon items being less inexplicable boomerangs in chests and more like items or weapons improvised or stolen from enemies as well. Like the ball and chain from Twilight Princess: something taken not as a reward, but just an item kept because it looked useful. It feels a lot more organic. The spinner was kind of similar since it was implied to just be an elaborate key for the machinery in the prison Link decided to hold onto afterwards despite not being particularly useful outside the area.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

coffeecup posted:

Wait, Spyke is in this game, still looking for Super Sea Snails?

OH GOD SPYKE IS GOING TO EAT THE MAIAMAIS.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://goodsmileshop.com/en/CATEGOR...-global&lang=en

http://goodsmileshop.com/en/CATEGORY-ROOT/figma/figma-Zelda--Twilight-Princess-ver-/p/GSC_FIG_WD_00318?site=goodsmile-global&lang=en

Figma Link and Zelda from Twilight Princess.

http://goodsmileshop.com/en/CATEGORY-ROOT/Scale-Figure/Takao--Heavy-Armament-Ver-/p/MAX_WHS_WD_00008?site=goodsmile-global&lang=en
Unrelated Tittygun Robot.