Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ZombieLenin posted:

I just started playing this and am really enjoying the game. If I had any complaints it would be the lack of storage during the early stage of the game, and the deployable waterproof locker you can make doesn't really help.

Ugh. I know what you mean. On my first playthrough I made 4 of them before I discovered base building. What a waste of time and effort trying to create and manage those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats ok, when I first started playing I grabbed a ton of metal salvage, processed it into titanium chunks, then processed those into Titanium Ingots because you use ingots to make poo poo, right? :downs:

Had a bunch of ingots taking up space for quite a while, even had several leftovers after I was finished building my cyclops.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats ok, when I first started playing I grabbed a ton of metal salvage, processed it into titanium chunks, then processed those into Titanium Ingots because you use ingots to make poo poo, right? :downs:

I did the same thing but I thought you'd be able to 'break down' the ingots back into ten titaniums :v: I thought I was super clever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think everyone goes through that. That there isn't a way to turn a titanium ingot back into titanium is a giant oversight in a game where you can turn anything into anything else in a few seconds.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I don't want a gun, but I do want a way to tell a fish to gently caress off that works better than the dinky knife. It doesn't even have to kill the fish, a cattle prod on the end of a long stick would be fine, anything to not have to fight sand sharks off at pointblank range while the assholes dive into the sand to escape my counter attacks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

I don't want a gun, but I do want a way to tell a fish to gently caress off that works better than the dinky knife. It doesn't even have to kill the fish, a cattle prod on the end of a long stick would be fine, anything to not have to fight sand sharks off at pointblank range while the assholes dive into the sand to escape my counter attacks.

The repulsor cannon is very good at that, comically so, but it is a bit slow to get.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

The repulsor cannon is very good at that, comically so, but it is a bit slow to get.

Did they finally fix it so they don't soon come back for another try at biting you, instead of loving off to another area entirely and staying there like the Devs admitted they are supposed to? What personal defense options we do have don't always hold up quite as well if you want to investigate a wreck or place thermal generators in peace (Flares are a loving joke in that regard even when they work. "I'll drop this distraction on the floor, next to where I'm trying to place thermals!.. wait")

But then, even a temporary reprieve with the prop gun is a huge boost to convenience.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Did they finally fix it so they don't soon come back for another try at biting you, instead of loving off to another area entirely and staying there like the Devs admitted they are supposed to? What personal defense options we do have don't always hold up quite as well if you want to investigate a wreck or place thermal generators in peace (Flares are a loving joke in that regard even when they work. "I'll drop this distraction on the floor, next to where I'm trying to place thermals!.. wait")

But then, even a temporary reprieve with the prop gun is a huge boost to convenience.

No idea, last time I used it the gun punts them about 50m away so they don't seem to come back.

Otherwise stasis rifles are able to freeze them i think?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

No idea, last time I used it the gun punts them about 50m away so they don't seem to come back.

Otherwise stasis rifles are able to freeze them i think?

While the Stasis gun an be drat useful, I'm not so hot on it for the above mentioned reasons of "What good does this do if I want to STAY here?"

Plus Warpers are loving immune to it, and last I checked Tiger plants nailed with the stasis gun are still capable of harming you if you swim near them, because now they have a floating field of thorns near them.

At least the Stasis gun is still a lifesaver with basic reapers. I'm expecting them to flag the sea dragons as immune to the thing, considering the closer to launch we get, the more they want to disable our options it seems.

"Hey we gave the player a sweet exosuit. We've got some people complaining their hard earned upgrades allowed to actually fight back make things too casual."
"No problem! Make Crabsquids turn them off and Warpers teleport you outside of them entirely!"

Admittedly I've never been a fan of the design mindset of "gently caress it, just make your equipment useless". It reminds me too much of a lovely GM just handwaving away anything that doesn't fit his script.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think it's fine for the exosuit to not be the absolute counter to threats. Needing to avoid things that absolutely overpower the build you're currently using is a good mechanic.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The new Crab Squids scare me but I haven't encountered them yet. Warpers aren't bad unless one appears near another predator (especially a reaper).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Met posted:

I think it's fine for the exosuit to not be the absolute counter to threats. Needing to avoid things that absolutely overpower the build you're currently using is a good mechanic.

Okay, what' proper proactive counter do we have then, if you want to avoid the Exosuit being "Too good" there has to be something already good at shutting down Warpers, right?

Stasis gun doesn't work. You get warped out of both exo suits and seamoths. Your enemy can teleport, and also warp in extra predators.

Just sigh and use your propulsion gun you've had almost all game for the millionth time against it (and anything it warps in) and hoping it doesn't come back? You need something to be good in the first place, before you can worry about something else being "too good".

As it is, you build an exosuit. Then realize what you were looking forward to it helping you with compared to being out swimming/Just using the Seamoth, gets dev cheats against it (and the Seamoth too), AND your strongest personal tool on top. So all you ever really "need" it for, is because you need it to dig new resource nodes, and your Seamoth isn't allowed to go deep enough to advance the plot.

And being reduced to a glorified power drill+oxygen tank... Isn't really a very satisfying end result. More so if there are no ways to protect yourself from lava without the exo suit and a warper shows up in lava land, unless the new reinforced diving suit's buff is better than it sounds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 4, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What are you upset about? That you make an exosuit, go to where only it can go, and then get inconvenienced by things sometimes?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The vehicles exist to protect you against environmental dangers and predators, and as such provide a feeling of progression in this game. I personally haven't run into any warpers yet, but I can understand why someone would be upset that there’s an enemy that can just yank you out of your vehicles and almost invalidate that progression.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Carcer posted:

The vehicles exist to protect you against environmental dangers and predators, and as such provide a feeling of progression in this game. I personally haven't run into any warpers yet, but I can understand why someone would be upset that there’s an enemy that can just yank you out of your vehicles and almost invalidate that progression.

Basically this.

Oh Boy, I made a brand new Seamoth/exo suit! Now those enemies I dislike interrupting me the most can... Be actually even more of a headache than before, huh...

Needing to avoid things that "overpower your build"... In Subnautica? There really isn't enough to even CALL "Character Builds". And that kind of talk still implies there would be a "Build" that can be a hard counter to Warpers/Crabsquids instead of vehicles... Which, we don't really have. Unless you count running away, or newspaper swatting them with a prop gun just like you would a stalker.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 4, 2016

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Reading the dev notes reveal that warpers are mostly going to leave you alone until later in the story progression, when something happens that I'm not even going to put in here in spoiler tags.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So, just bought this game. Is it me or are things a bit buggy when you respawn in the lifepod? For example: I think my comm relay auto-repaired itself? Now I feel a bit cheated out of progression. Also since I'm now being bombarded by distress messages I feel a sense of urgency to go and explore there, but some of them seem quite far away. I heard that the farther away from the start point, the more dangerous the creatures. Should I just swim all the way? Should I wait before checking all the pods out before building a base? The survival 101 log seems to indicate so.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
why did my vehicle fabricator thing just dissapear from where it was floating around my base?

was it all the loving sand sharks hanging out near the door? (came across a trio of them recently whod gotted tangled up emerging from the sand and just stuck there half underground. had a cathartic time knifing)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

So, just bought this game. Is it me or are things a bit buggy when you respawn in the lifepod? For example: I think my comm relay auto-repaired itself? Now I feel a bit cheated out of progression. Also since I'm now being bombarded by distress messages I feel a sense of urgency to go and explore there, but some of them seem quite far away. I heard that the farther away from the start point, the more dangerous the creatures. Should I just swim all the way? Should I wait before checking all the pods out before building a base? The survival 101 log seems to indicate so.

Some of those life pods are quite far away and in dangerous territory. I'd build a base and tech up a bit before you head out and try to find the ones furthest away. A lot of the things you'll get (seamoth, ultraglide flippers, high capacity air tanks) give you a buffer against making mistakes or being ambushed by something nasty. Running into a boneshark when you've got the seamoth to retreat into isn't that scary, running it when you've got nothing but a knife to fight it off with is harrowing.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

StarMinstrel posted:

The comm thing is definitely a bug. I know it auto-repairs itself if you load a save with the other panel in the lifepod repaired.

It's kind of up to you whether you want to go track the signals down or not. They're not actually required for anything. They trigger when you enter new areas or make certain things in the tech tree. I think they're designed to send you to areas that may have useful stuff for where you currently are in the game's progression. If you run out of other things to do, you could try tracking down the most recent ones.

Also, you can build a base whenever you want. There's no specific point that you need to wait for. Overbuilding your first attempt at a base is an easy trap to fall into, though.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
The lifepod signals are important in so much as they're generally near either a wreck, some kind of landmark or the edge of a biome you probably haven't been to yet.

But yeah, once you know what you're doing, you're probably going to want to build at least a small base and seamoth before you actually do too much exploring. Swimming is just so slow and wrecks are a total pain to explore without a nearby vehicle/minibase to go to for air.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All right thanks. So I'll go as follow then :

Repair lifepod>Explore surrounding>build base in appropriate location>explore signals with first reliable vehicle. Seems good.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going to hold off on playing again until they fix the terrain map to get rid of all that horrible pop-in.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpactVector posted:

But yeah, once you know what you're doing, you're probably going to want to build at least a small base and seamoth before you actually do too much exploring. Swimming is just so slow and wrecks are a total pain to explore without a nearby vehicle/minibase to go to for air.

You have to explore wrecks to be able to make the Mobile Vehicle Bay and Seamoth, though. The best wrecks for both are marked by lifepod signals.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Rhjamiz posted:

I'm going to hold off on playing again until they fix the terrain map to get rid of all that horrible pop-in.

My computer is unfortunately a turd so I play pretty low res, and have lost 4 PRAWNS (built legitimately, I haven't done console commands) because I did a long fall and phased through the world before the seabed loaded in. Pretty frustrating.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Section Z posted:

Basically this.

Oh Boy, I made a brand new Seamoth/exo suit! Now those enemies I dislike interrupting me the most can... Be actually even more of a headache than before, huh...

Needing to avoid things that "overpower your build"... In Subnautica? There really isn't enough to even CALL "Character Builds". And that kind of talk still implies there would be a "Build" that can be a hard counter to Warpers/Crabsquids instead of vehicles... Which, we don't really have. Unless you count running away, or newspaper swatting them with a prop gun just like you would a stalker.

Don't go near warpers in the exosuit.

Why do you think you're supposed to overpower everything? The existence of defensive weapons with no offensive weapons makes it pretty clear you're not supposed to have an easy time bringing yourself to the top of the food chain. You're just trying to work your way around the threats so you can escape the planet.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I think there's a difference between not being able to take on all threats and having to retreat sometimes and just getting warped out of your vehicle though. The latter is just annoying and kind of smacks of lazy artificial difficulty.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Have you guys... played Subnautica since these features were added?

Warpers make sounds and are easy to spot. They don't just sneak up on you and warp you out. Even if they do, you just get back in and move along. The Crabsquid EMP lasts 3 seconds, tops. It freaks you out for a moment and you manage to get away just fine. Every single time.

I can't figure out what the big deal is other than not being in 100% control all of the time.

The Exosuit has a propulsion cannon attachment. You can use it in these situations! It's way stronger than the handheld version. Breed Crashfish. Use them as ammo. That's fun.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 4, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

StarMinstrel posted:

All right thanks. So I'll go as follow then :

Repair lifepod>Explore surrounding>build base in appropriate location>explore signals with first reliable vehicle. Seems good.

Building a hobo coridor with storage lockers shoehorned inside it near your lifepod is also a huge boost to convenience.

My biggest newbie regret was wanting to wait until I was ready to make a full proper base to build anything (And that was before they gated MP rooms). Working out of a collection of floating waterproof footlockers is bullshit.

Met posted:

I can't figure out what the big deal is other than not being in 100% control all of the time.

The Exosuit has a propulsion cannon attachment. You can use it in these situations! It's way stronger than the handheld version. Breed Crashfish. Use them as ammo. That's fun.

I... What? You're mocking people for not liking being taken out of their vehicles, and how they shouldn't be that good anyways... And following it up with "Have you tried using the equipment on your vehicles" :psyduck:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 4, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep. Have you tried using the tools available to deal with situations in a survival game?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How common are warpers? I haven't played the game much since it updated so I don't know. If you have to deal with warpers about once every 10 minutes then it’s probably not too bad, but based on the crazy spawning of some of the other aggressive fish if you've got to deal with a warper every other minute in some biomes I'd want a more concrete solution than "punt it with a prop cannon".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You're being mocked because you seem mad that the game doesn't move out of the survival themes. The sea is dark and full of terrors.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I just punched a warper until is vanished using my exo-suit. I agree they need better implementation, but I like having this semi intelligent creature tooling around. I saw one get into a ruckus with a sandshark and it was good to see.

For people starting out, just build a single corridor piece and fill it with lockers for storage. get the solar panels and seaglide parts around your starting area. That should get you started and solve the storage issue.

Does anyone ever mess around with the gravsphere or current generator? I have seen a few ideas for uses on the Wiki and it seems you can create some interesting contraptions with them, but I have not tried yet.

Also, try walking your mech suit into the void. (save first obviously) It's pretty amazing how fast that thing drops

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2016

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Demiurge4 posted:

You're being mocked because you seem mad that the game doesn't move out of the survival themes. The sea is dark and full of terrors.

I think that for a lot of people the appeal of this game was that it was different than most survival games. Instead of chopping down trees in order to build a cabin to keep you safe, you were free to swim around and just look at the scenery. There were still dangers but you were safe most places.
The game now seems to be heading in the direction of a generic survival game, it isn't bad by any means but it was definitely better a few patches ago.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Carcer posted:

How common are warpers? I haven't played the game much since it updated so I don't know. If you have to deal with warpers about once every 10 minutes then it’s probably not too bad, but based on the crazy spawning of some of the other aggressive fish if you've got to deal with a warper every other minute in some biomes I'd want a more concrete solution than "punt it with a prop cannon".

There's one out near the mountain island and one in the deep grand reef. There's probably one in the active lava zone, but I don't recall running into it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Carcer posted:

Warpers seem to patrol around the borders of biomes from my experience. I've seen them in just about every biome except maybe the shallows. There is almost always only 1 in the area.

They are like most predators in that they don't really bother you unless you get too close and hurting them seems to make them gently caress off. The teleport is a projectile which they seem to rarely use or miss a lot. I've only been teleported out of my vehicle once that I can remember, and I have a tendency to gently caress around with wildlife using the grapple arm.

Also, they aren't immune to the stasis rifle, they can just teleport out of the field whenever their AI triggers. They still can't move in the stasis bubble unless something has changed.

I usually ignore them entirely if I have something to do and they haven't bothered me in 99% of cases. In the other 1% they attack me until they decide to use the teleport which usually transports you or them outside of their aggression range.

Lonos Oboe posted:

Does anyone ever mess around with the gravsphere or current generator? I have seen a few ideas for uses on the Wiki and it seems you can create some interesting contraptions with them, but I have not tried yet.

When I first started playing the game my lifepod drifted away from its starting position before I built my base. I used the current generator to push it back.

Gravisphere I've never used but could be useful to set one up next a node while you're drilling.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 5, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Demiurge4 posted:

To be honest this whole pervasive mentality in this genre of 'it doesn't matter *how* it is difficult as long as it is!' is brutally annoying. The sea can be dark and full of terrors without resorting to gimmickery, too. It's like when modders make things hard because 'realism' but the gameplay itself takes a backseat.

It's one thing to say 'this could maybe use some work but it is okay for now' and it's another to act like a game in Alpha is working completely as intended and people who complain just don't get it or whatever.

e: the post above mine talking about how they aren't an issue 99% of the time is a much better response imo. The thread made it seem like these things are everywhere now.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 5, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
There are 2 stalkers and a sandshark outside my lifepod. I cannot kill them, as they team up on me when I try and deal with one of them and the knife is terrible at killing them anyway. I don't have the propulsion cannon yet and it wouldn't solve my problem as I suspect they'd just come back.

If I can't have a spear gun, give me something thats lethal but can only be recharged at the lifepod as a one shot emergency weapon.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Challenge accepted. Give me your save file and remove all weapons except for a survival knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That wasn't a challenge. That was me stating there’s a problem that is a pain in the rear end to deal with. I don't think I should be dodging multiple predators in the "safe" shallows to get into or out of the lifepod.

Of course, instead of providing me with advice you've taken criticism of the game as a windmill to tilt at.