Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Verisimilidude posted:

Part 1 of a series of cutting swords for HEMA has been released. Check it out! http://youtu.be/VdrZ1N6GBMk

I'd really love to see him cut some moving targets. Could you guys rig a tatami on a long pole or something to better simulate hitting a dynamic target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

DandyLion posted:

I'd really love to see him cut some moving targets. Could you guys rig a tatami on a long pole or something to better simulate hitting a dynamic target?

We do that as a part of cutting feats for cutting tournaments. Someone puts a mat on a wheeled platform that is then pulled by a long rope, and someone has to chase after it and cut it. Make a comment on the video about it, he reads them all and would appreciate that kind of suggestion.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Anything beginner fencing/HEMA fencing going on near Memphis? I found the local fencing club and they seem to be very newbie-friendly, but my Tuesday nights are spoken for. I pass 70 lbs. down from Weight Watchers tomorrow and am looking for something athletic that I've never tried before to get more exercise that walking on a treadmill.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

No specific fencing recommendations, but congrats on the weight loss!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

Trying to ease myself back into slightly more intense stuff after getting a nasty bit of runner's knee in my front leg (hey everyone, correct posture and lunge technique is SUPER IMPORTANT for not murdering yourself). And attempting to improve a little in all three weapons - progress is slow, but gently caress it, I'm not willing to give any up since they're all fun.
On that note, what do you do in sabre if you're attacking with a low hand position, versus someone trying to counterattack with a flicky high-hand-position downwards cut over your guard on to the top of your wrist/forearm? Like, is there some way I can adjust my guard to block these out reliably, or is this a case of needing to draw it out first before I can deal with it? (or since I have priority, just lunge further, push through and hope I don't get timed out)

I'm, obviously, not looking at your form, so I can only guess. Also, when's this happening? During your march or during your attack (i.e. the advance-lunge)? Are you bouting with the new timing?

Off the top of my head...
You're not changing you tempo enough or are working yourself into patterns. Combinations of fast, medium, or slow and long, medium, or short steps is how you create different tempos. If the only time you go fast is when you're gearing up for your attack, you're telegraphing it to your opponent. This'll also help you dictate distance better, because every time you change tempo, your opponent has to switch to match.
It sounds like your hand is overexposed and needs to be kept further back. If you're at half-extension or more, that's too much. Even when going low line, your arm should remain at it's usual guard position. Being too far out as an attacker povides little gains while exposing your wrist and blade to the defender.
If none of the above helps, withdrawing your hand and either causing your opponent to miss or land the tip fully on your guard is one of your best options. If you do do this, remember to go to a proper 3 with your tip up. If the stop hit isn't a complete miss, you want the solid hit on the guard to show parry.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Anything beginner fencing/HEMA fencing going on near Memphis? I found the local fencing club and they seem to be very newbie-friendly, but my Tuesday nights are spoken for. I pass 70 lbs. down from Weight Watchers tomorrow and am looking for something athletic that I've never tried before to get more exercise that walking on a treadmill.

Damint, this poo poo is always so hard to find. I even knew what I was looking for, and it took me several minutes to get to the Tennessee Division's wobsite. Unfortunately, it does look like Coilerville is the only club in the Memphis area. Sorry, dude.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BirdOfPlay posted:

Damint, this poo poo is always so hard to find. I even knew what I was looking for, and it took me several minutes to get to the Tennessee Division's wobsite. Unfortunately, it does look like Coilerville is the only club in the Memphis area. Sorry, dude.

These two are great, thanks! It is a little more involved than "Google it," so I appreciate the help!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BirdOfPlay posted:

some really solid advice
Hey, thanks. I had a go last night at trying to focus on tempo changes and delaying my extension and for the most part it worked!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm going to be roommates with a JSA master.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Out of town for the week, so went to stab the locals. Bunch of epeeists, but it was still fun. If you find yourself in Nashville and want to fence, Music City FC is a good visit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Out of town for the week, so went to stab the locals. Bunch of epeeists, but it was still fun. If you find yourself in Nashville and want to fence, Music City FC is a good visit.

Good epee in Nashville? Sweet! I might be going to school that direction soon.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I can't speak to the quality of the epee (I just beat some of them up in foil), but it's a nice club.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Foil trip report: This is gonna take some reps.

Also gonna bring my own mask, gently caress fiddling around with things that almost fit.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Yay, my new Vniti epee from Absolute arrived. Finally I have a proper weapon bag (ie. with more than one complete weapon in it and a couple of spare blades to boot.)

Aaaaaaaaaaand they hosed the wiring, which was crimped between the guard and the blade.
At least they're giving our armourer practice at doing it properly... :shobon:

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 24, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Just had to post this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFy-yzCkDiI

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when you've got a rapier and your friend has something shorter:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
When you're fencing epee

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

"Attack arrives, touch left."
"No parry?"
"Mal parre" :shrug: "En garde."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BirdOfPlay posted:

"No parry?"
Please, the attack clearly starts from the right. Or yeah, a double-touch in epee. Goddamn tall people.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Please, the attack clearly starts from the right. Or yeah, a double-touch in epee. Goddamn tall people.

It's a simultaneous action, and the right searches for the blade. :colbert: Or, at least, attempts to parry, but you can only be attacking or defending, so...

Isn't sabre fun!

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 26, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

"No parry?"

B...b...but sir! His arm was bent!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'd say attack from right into (parry with) opposition by left, priority left, touche. But then again I'm a dirty foilist.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Nah, it's attack left all the way in foil, too. Even if you want to argue simultaneous, right loses all pretense of priority with the search.

Judging the priority of cats: ask me about fencing

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 27, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Foil trip report: Crud, my heels don't line up.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Check your knees, front one should be facing forwards and back one should be at 90 degrees. This poo poo sounds pedantic but get it wrong and you're on a train to strain-injury town (population: me, but I'm working on it).
If that doesn't seem to help, check your posture as well - back straight and shoulders back. In my case, I need to rotate my hips ever so slightly forwards to do this - otherwise I arch my back a bit, my butt sticks out a little and my upper body leans forward. This drags my front knee/foot out of alignment and makes landing from lunges all kinds of hosed up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The problem is that my feet create a T shape instead of an L one, so while my lunge still goes straight forward, it ends up powered from the ball of my foot instead of the whole foot. This makes my back foot turn rapier-style instead of remaining planted, and that just looks wrong.

On a foil note, do you guys prefer quarte or quinte? Our coach does a sort of a 4.5 and it's a bit funky.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Your feet being T-shaped shouldn't effect your back foot placement.

There's plenty of elite fencers who don't turn their back knee fully out and have their foot closer to 45 degrees than 90. There's fencers who rarely have their back heel down, and fencers that rarely stand up straight. Don't get bogged down because your form isn't perfect to how you idealize it.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 3, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

How much of your foot is in contact with the ground is pretty irrelevant to how much power you can put into it, anyway. My heels never touches the ground and I can easily drag my back foot in a big lunge. You're going to be most effective when you're the most comfortable, wherever that is. There are few things that are absolutely wrong (knee passing the foot at the end of a lunge being the only one I can think of).

No idea what the quarte/quinte questions refers to.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

No idea what the quarte/quinte questions refers to.

Parry 4/parry 5. No one uses parry 5 in foil. Your instructor is doing a parry 4.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Parry 4/parry 5. No one uses parry 5 in foil. Your instructor is doing a parry 4.

Kinda thought so.

Parry 5 in foil is sort of a high 6 (in contrast to saber's). I guess it's really only of use against poor shoulder flicks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's a bit peculiar because he himself admits to doing something 5-like, pronating the hand. But eh, we're just a university-level team.

Neon Belly posted:

Don't get bogged down because your form isn't perfect to how you idealize it.
I... Don't think you fully understand how years of HEMA affects people. :v:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Siivola posted:

That's a bit peculiar because he himself admits to doing something 5-like, pronating the hand.

Pronating the hand while in the area of 4 is 3, not 5. Although that's not to say that you can't pronate your hand in 4, and most people probably do.

Siivola posted:

But eh, we're just a university-level team.

There are some very good university coaches. There are also many university coaches with "interesting" ideas about fencing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Pronating the hand while in the area of 4 is 3, not 5. Although that's not to say that you can't pronate your hand in 4, and most people probably do.
I'm 100% sure 3 is pronated and to the outside, on the 6 line.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Doh my bad, I see it now. Guess I was taught it wrong.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Afaik, 5 is still a completely pointless guard in modern foil. It closes nothing better than any guard and is worse in various ways. What advantages does he claim he gets from starting in it?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The hand just turns halfway into it pretty naturally when you close the inside line from 6. :shrug:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

The problem is that my feet create a T shape instead of an L one, so while my lunge still goes straight forward, it ends up powered from the ball of my foot instead of the whole foot. This makes my back foot turn rapier-style instead of remaining planted, and that just looks wrong.

I agree everyone else with that there is room for adjustment of the standard form in (sport) fencing to allow for comfort and use by the individual fencer. When I transitioned to sabre keeping my feet in the 'L' en garde and my shoulders perpendicular to the strip would tweak out my back knee. After I progressed and saw others doing it, I turned my back foot in, which also brought my knee in, and turned to be at a slight angle with my shoulders, and it's been much easier on my knee.

Of course, the biggest question is what does your coach say? Not because all the advice we're giving is wrong, but we're only going by your words. If your coach is seeing something and asking you to correct it, it's probably because it needs to be corrected.

quote:

On a foil note, do you guys prefer quarte or quinte? Our coach does a sort of a 4.5 and it's a bit funky.

FYI, I, and most Americans, don't refer to the parries by the French, but we still do abide the French numbering system.

The basic foil toolbox is 4, 6, 7 and 8, which, should, give you coverage over most of your target area. Reading along about the distinction, I'm not sure how you mean. You're saying it's still in the area of 4 but pronated (palm down), right? I've always done 4 and been taught with my thumb up or slight pronation. Full pronation seems like a good way to your tip flying around, making an efficient riposte difficult.

EDIT: It sounds like you don't mean a full pronation, because from a fully supinated 6 you hand does kinda turn over for a 4 but not all the way.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 4, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Just be careful about how your body posture makes you land on a lunge and if, as everyone else is saying, you feel discomfort. I know everyone's different, but if I let my front knee drift out of alignment with the rest of my leg (entire front leg & foot should lie in a vertical plane), I really feel it afterwards.

As far as foil goes, I'm a 4/6/7/8 kind of guy myself. Thumb up, with a slight supination for 6/8 and slight pronation for 4/7. But, I do know a fair few people who favour a low seconde/2 over octave/8 for no particular reason than personal preference. I honestly have no idea about what quinte/5 is in foil now - I've just googled it and ended up even more confused than before. There seem to be a bunch of arguments over whether it's a high or lowline parry, and even if it's tip up or tip down. Can anyone enlighten me?

I have seen some people pull off a sabre-ish quinte/5 in foil, sweeping upwards but keeping the hand lower than you would in sabre since head isn't target, and the blade angled towards the opponent instead of more perpendicular to the piste. You can riposte from here in to your opponent's outside line under their arm. Kind of like a sideways version of that prime/1 parry with the flicky riposte, used as an emergency "oh poo poo sweep across the entire torso dammit" parry versus people attacking to high line with a relatively high hand position.

I can't say if this is ever a good idea or not as it feels slow and weird, but also because I am a Bad Fencer (TM).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

Of course, the biggest question is what does your coach say? Not because all the advice we're giving is wrong, but we're only going by your words. If your coach is seeing something and asking you to correct it, it's probably because it needs to be corrected.
I was warned I might end up straining my left knee if I keep turning my back heel forward (so my knees open more than 90 degrees). Personally, I'm not too worried about that – I just want to stop doing it because it's a rapier thing and it looks funky. :v:

BirdOfPlay posted:

EDIT: It sounds like you don't mean a full pronation, because from a fully supinated 6 you hand does kinda turn over for a 4 but not all the way.
Yeah, not a full pronation. Like I said above, HEMA has made me really sensitive to ~correct form~ and it caught my eye. Cheers, y'all, you've been informative.

In related news, tonight's the monthly club tournament and I'm gonna go watch! Excited to see this stuff live instead of through YouTube. :shobon:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

I just want to stop doing it because it's a rapier thing
why are you fencing w/modern weapons anyway, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don't judge me. :saddowns: