Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1| Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions:

Feijiang stops moving once Ghost grabs her arm. With her strength, it would be easy to overpower her and keep going, or even just accidentally overpower her and keep going... But instead, Feijiang just goes completely still.

The look on Feijiang's face shifts from simple anger, to a more conflicted frustration. "I- Grr- Tch-" She stammers and almost starts to say a lot of things, but struggles to find the words.

This seems to give her a chance to calm down a bit, and take a deep breath. When she does she's not completely calm, or happy, but she seems better. "Fine, fine," she waves her hand in the air, as if trying to brush her old words out of the way. "Fine."

"And don't worry," Feijiang returns Ghost's smile. It's slightly, but not that much happier. "I'm not going anywhere."

Then, as Ghost goes on, confronts Alexandria, and yells to the entire room, Feijiang stands back and watches. There's things she could say- wants to say- But this is clearly Ghost's fight to fight. Taking responsibility is what a leader should do, after all.

But still, some parts of what she says don't sit right with her. It's not completely Ghost's fault! The rest of her team isn't without blame! But...!

"..."

No, Ghost is doing exactly she what she should be doing right now. And painful as it is to watch, Feijiang isn't going to ruin it by stopping her. No matter how much it hurts.

Feijiang shifts Danger down and Mundane up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Feijiang and Ghost

Alexandra looks unimpressed by Feijiang's attempts to rattle her. In fact, her attempts to do so only make her chuckle derisively. She's obviously taking quite a bit of pleasure from watching the two of you flounder, Ghost in particular. Her cocky smile turns to the frown when Ghost starts to talk back to her. She's almost taken aback by them. Still, it doesn't take long for her to start rolling her eyes at the girl. At the mention of Ghost's mother, she noticeably scowls, the mere mention of her igniting something within her mind. When Ghost starts talking to the other heroes, however, she turns her attention back to Feijiang.

"Well, at least she's going to take responsibility for screwing up." She chews her lip, still looking visibly displeased. "Still, you've got a lot to learn if you ever want to consider yourself a true hero. If you ever want to stop being a human wrecking ball and actually be a heroine, call me up. Until then, don't think you can get away with just pushing people around. You're lucky I didn't throw you against the wall."

Alexandra gains influence over Feijiang, but because she already has influence, she shifts Feijiang's Danger up and Saviour down.

With that lightly-veiled warning, she turns around and focuses on the rest of the destruction that you've caused.

Vitreloy

quote:

What are you really planning?

Mecha-Saviour has the Heroes of Harmony's best intentions at heart. Due to his strong morals, he has faith that at least some members of your team have acted in good spirits, especially after he's seen you protecting Jessica. He plans to try and work with Gareth to limit the reputational damage to your team and the Heroes of Harmony, though that may involve exposing an uncomfortable nature of one or more of your teammates.

He notices you looking at him and gives a warm smile. This attention quickly shifts over to Ghost, as she makes her strong declaration. He chuckles heartily.

"That girl has a strong spirit, I'll give her that." He comments amusedly. "You can tell her that even though she is the leader, the team still need to be responsible for their actions. We'll come up with something for you to do later. Right now, if you want to help us, I would suggest getting back to the Cloud Quarter as soon as you can. You probably don't want to stick around."

The Tunneler

Orchid scoffs at the Tuneller's attempts to explain the situation. She's currently focusing on trying to get the Sprite into a more healthy state. At the mention of the vendolium, she looks at it for a second before having one of her vines pick it up and resting it on the Sprite. The two in conjunction seem to further improve the healing process and she looks mildly impressed by the technology.

"Don't tell me how I should be." She responds scathingly, her petal flaring up. She immediately quietens at the sound of Ghost. She looks at her somewhat sympathetically.

"Poor girl, it is not entirely her fault that she became like this." She mutters to herself, turning towards Spark and leering. "Judging from the flames, I can guess who's fault this is. I knew something like this would happen."

At this point, she seems to talking to herself more so than you and momentarily forgets that you are there, before she turns to face you.

"Why are you just standing there? Leave me alone. I need to focus on this problem at the moment that your team caused." Her words turn caustic again as she refocuses her attention on the Sprite.

Everyone

All of the adult heroes seem to have made one thing clear. You aren't wanted here. Gathering together your unconscious allies, you make your way back to base. As you walk past people, they look at you with a mixture of fear and disgust. You probably could've made a better first impression.

END OF THE SESSION

At the end of every session, choose one:

- Grow closer to the team. Explain who made you feel welcome; giveInfluence to that character and clear a condition or mark potential.
- Grow into your own image of yourself. Explain how you see yourself and why; shift one Label up and another down.
- Grow away from the team. Explain why you feel detached. Take Influence over you away from another character.

- - - - -

Everyone

In the evening, after Spark had regained consciousness and Clatterclaw has been fixed up, you've been asked to gather once again in the briefing room. You've heard bits and pieces about how the media has portrayed your mission, and they haven't been good. What has been said about you and how do you feel about it? Are you nervous about getting together as a team again? What in particular is on your mind?

What do you do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Afraid, Insecure, Hopeless

Clatterclaw walks into the briefing room (and Miss Wraith floats through a wall, as he is wont). She says nothing, and merely takes her seat in silence. She avoids eye contact with everyone, content with staring at the table in front of her, expression blank and unreadable. Now that you think of it, she has not really talked to anyone after she came back from Giovanni and Ivan's laboratory (well, neither has Miss Wraith, but she never was all that talkative in the first place).

What would she say, after all? She almost killed a man, a fact that the Sprite was not afraid to divulge to the press after it left treatment. She assaulted a friend. Not because it needed to be done, not even to protect anyone, but just because she had been so angry. Her best friend was disfigured because she wasn't there for her in time. There was quite literally nothing she could say or do to make any of it better. Nothing to make others see anything good or likeable in her since it was so obvious how dangerous and freakish she truly was. Smiles and jokes would have rung desperate and hollow.

...But neither could they leave. They were always freaks, she and Miss Wraith. Now they were freaks justly feared and looked down upon. Hell, maybe they always had been, but they themselves only realized it now. Perhaps. Nevertheless, they were stuck here, sequestered to the sky with these other so called 'heroes'. They'd just have to make something out of it. Sure, all the joy had left the affair, but sometimes you're just stuck with duties and penance you have to perform, regardless of how you feel.

Clearing Angry
I grow away from the team. Explain why you feel detached. Take Influence over you away from another character. Spark loses influence on me.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 2, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -1 | Sav: +1 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

I could hear Ms. Gammon inhale deeply into her cigarette before she broke the news. It's never a good sign when she does that. She tries to break it to me gently, but I asked her to please just be honest with me.

"The news? Yea, it ain't good, sorry kiddo."

I knew it wouldn't be good. Why would it be? No matter how you cover it up, we messed up. But hearing about it is different from thinking about it. It hurts. They're calling us screw-ups, a waste of the program, "The Stoppable Mediocre Valkyries." Even Ms. Gammon is getting a lot of flack for trying to report about the whole incident evenhandedly. People are calling it "biased reporting" because I used to work for her.

They're not wrong. She knew the risks, but it didn't stop her.

"Hey, kid? Don't push yourself, alright? These things just happen. I should tell you about the time me an' your mom fought that big fire breathing space worm sometime! Hah! We pissed off so many people that day!"

I know she's just trying to make me feel better, but it's just hard to laugh right now, and she can tell. I can hear her take another deep inhale into her cigarette. I really wish she'd stop, doesn't she know unhealthy and gross that habit of hers is?

"Kid, I know ya probably feel alone right now. Like it's you versus the world, but you ain't, alright? Ya got me an' the rest of my lovely assistants. Charlotte, Johnny, Brick, Stacy, an' all the rest. We're all rootin' for ya and your team. Same for the people in town, your dad especially. They still think you're a hero here, kid, and whatever happened hasn't changed that. I know ya can do this, kiddo. Make us proud."

They still think I'm a hero? Even after everything that's happened? I thought for sure the public lost faith in us, but I guess not all of them have. The town, Ms. Gammon, the gang, my dad. They all still believe in me, and my team.

I need to be strong, for them, and the others. They've all been through so much, and I can't abandon them. Besides, it's not like I'm alone. I know Feijiang will help me find a way to get them back up.

...God, I can't believe I'm actually saying that. Feijiang. Of all the people in the team, I never thought it'd be Fei-goshdarn-jiang who'd stick with me. I was so nervous around her at first. She was hot-headed, stubborn, and always rushed head first into danger, but now I'm glad I have her by my side. I know, as long as she's by my side, we can both find a way to fix what happened.

Now, where did I put those cookies dad made?

--

"I'm here! I'm here! Sorry I'm late!"

Seriously, Pepper, how did you manage to misplace a box of cookies? Get it together, girl! It's a good thing walls and doors mean nothing when you can walk past them! Maybe I should think about being a delivery girl if none of this works out? "Pepper Peckerbee: Unstoppable Wonder Delivery Girl!" Wow, that sounds kind of cool, I wonder i- FOCUS PEPPER THEY'RE ABOUT TO START

I'll just, sit next to Feijiang, I guess? That sounds like a good idea! Wait, what about Will? I've been kinda ignoring him lately, and I feel kinda bad. Agh, no time to think! Just plop your butt down before you make this even more awkward.

"Hi! Feijiang! Don't mind me, I'm just going to- wah!" I forgot to unphase myself. Great, and now there are cookies all over the floor. Way to go, Pepper, way to go.

Ghost grows closer to the team, specifically Feijiang. Feijiang can shift my labels.

Marking Potential and clearing angry.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 3, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: +3 | Savior: -2 | Superior: +1| Mundane: 0
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions:

'I'd like to see you try.'

Feijiang glares at Alexandria and thinks those words as an idle threat. She almost even opens her mouth to say them... but she's no fool. She's seen what happens to people that push their posturing too far. There's a thin line between confidence and foolhardiness, and this did not seem like the time to test it.

"Hmph," is all the warrior says as she walks away. So what if Alexandria could throw her against a wall? Don't you know what happens when you throw a human wrecking ball around? It comes back.

---

After the mission, Feijiang spends most of the afternoon hanging around one of the sky gardens by herself. Here, the open and breezy garden air is quiet and free from all of the annoying sounds of the city. No annoying people, no annoying machines, just trees, flowers, and rocks. And her own thoughts. No matter where she goes, there's no getting away from that.

For now, she is lying down on a bounder and watching the plants sway in the wind and the clouds fly across the sky. Her plated armor lays scattered in a heap at the bottom of the rock, and for now she's relaxing in her cloth shirt and pants she wore underneath.

Wooosh. A breeze blows in, rustling some leaves and jingling some wind chimes.

Ching, ching ching.

The sound repeats in Feijiang's head. Except this time it sounds a little different, but more familiar. It sounds like... home.

---

The fight had fallen into a lull. A boring lull. All that could be heard in that moment was the soft jingling of the dojo's wind chime.

"Come ON!" Feijiang yelled, or... perhaps even snarled. "Don't tell me you're done ALREADY!"

Her opponent was unsteady on his feet. He wore the same-colored belt that she did, but what kind of peer was he? His rank may have been technically the same as hers, but if he couldn't actually fight then what did that even mean?

"WELL?!" Feijiang yelled again, and took a step forward. She put one hand forward and pulled the other one back, clearly getting ready to execute a fearsome Tiger's Claw Strike.

Technically, it was a textbook mistake. Don't ever make it obvious what move you're about to do, or else you're just asking for a counter. But in this case, it worked.

"I'm done! I'm done!" The weak opponent fell onto his behind, and just about begged for the match to be over. Clearly he lacked the guts to even try to stand up to one of Feijiang's worst hits.

"Ugh," Feijiang groaned with disdain, then turned to give the instructor watching a nasty look."Can I just fight in the tournament, already? How many times do I have to tell you that fighting these simpletons is just a waste of my time?!"

She pointed at everyone else. "I'm BETTER than them! Don't you understand?!"

---

Feijiang bolts upright, waking up from the bad memory with a bad feeling in her stomach again. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest, too.

It takes a moment for her to even collect her thoughts. Was she worried? Guilty? Why? What's there even to-

Don't deny it, Feijiang. You know why.

Fine. Feijiang seems to resign herself to feeling bad as she rolls over and rests her head on her arm. How long was she like that? She wasn't like that when she was with her Father, but... Okay, there a particularly bad phase. When she was left on her own by Abel, and she just fought. And that continued on for...

Well, how long was it, Feijiang? Did you drop that attitude before you left Riavell, or were you still feeling some of that this morning?

"Come on, come on," Feijiang grumbles to herself. "Don't be ridiculous. You're just-"

Angry at what Alexandra said. Or feeling guilty about Ghost. Or looking for a reason to feel bad because everybody's feeling bad.

"Yeah. That's it," Feijiang says, acknowledging the feeling without actually committing to any one explanation.

"You have to admit though," she continues talking to herself. "You weren't expecting that from Ghost. She's got heart."

She's proven Feijiang wrong. That much is hard to deny.

And as she dwells on that thought, a faint feeling seems to pull on her heart. Something different from how she was feeling this morning...

---

Feijiang is late to show up at the briefing room, and when she does she's carrying her armor in a sack she's holding behind her back.

"Evening," she says in a monotone voice, before plopping down onto a couch and dropping her bag in front of her with a loud thud.

Feijiang grows closer to the team, specifically Ghost. Feijiang marks potential, and Ghost can shift her labels.

I'm also gonna take this opportunity to the targets of The Bull's Heart. (The heart is a fickle thing) Ghost is now my Love, and Spark is now my rival. Spark gains influence on Feijiang and Ghost can shift my labels a second time.

e: Also I adjust Ghost's Savior up and her Danger down.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 3, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Fre +3 | Dan +1 | Sav +0 | Sup + 0 | Mud -1
Potential: 2/5. Conditions:

The mission is over and more than anything I wish this metal had the power to turn back time.
I could fix everything that went wrong if if did.
Having escaped the press and gotten back to the base, I noticed everyone go their separate ways. The team seemed splintered and I shouldn't have been surprised. We all had to go lick our wounds in our own way.
After Spark had her injuries looked at, I saw her recovering on a bed in the base. She'd wake up soon enough, but I didn't want to leave her. After all that, after such a loss of control, waking up on your own has got to suck.
I hardly knew her really, we had fought and that had not ended well, but after everything I didn't think of her as a monster. Not like me.
An internal battle seemed to rage inside of me, thinking about how I would feel to have nothing and no one when I woke up,
I resolved to do something, even if we weren't the best of friends.
I grabbed a tech-pad and wrote her a note, and placed it on the table by where she was resting.
Waking up to my ugly form would probably make her want to fall back unconscious.
I left her to sleep, hoping I'd done the right thing.

quote:

Hey Spark,

Hope you're feeling better.
If you need anything, just call on the comms, I'm not far away.
I know what it's like to lose control. I've been there. You ever want to talk just grab me.
You ever want to spar again just grab me! I'm not afraid, I can take a few hits from you. Just try and aim for the metal. Wood and fire don't mix well.
There's a team meeting later, I'm hoping i'll see you then.
We are going to come back from this.
It's just one bad day.
Rest well
Vitre Will

It's just one bad day. I always tell myself that one. I don't believe it yet but maybe if I say it enough one day I will.
I decide to sit on the outside of the base, watching for the transport that will bring my brother here.
Waiting I start messing around with the Vitreloy metal I haven't yet put back into my tubes.
I think hard and allow it to sit in my palms.
"com...communicate." I tell the metal to receive any open channels it can find, absorbing any unprotected broadcasts, giving them to me, feeding me information.
I've gotten better at this than last time.
News feeds, radio waves, a few phone calls here and there. You'd think people would have better security.
Overall we are getting called a sham. A botched project. Seems some people don't want to hate us, everyone got out alive, but the devastation we've caused and the lack of control.
This is bad. Gareth and I are going to have to work hard to fix that, but now I feel like I can. I feel like we can come back from this. I just need to support the team the right way, give them the help they need.
I seemed to do alright during the mission, it was just bad luck and annoying circumstance that got in the way. Mecha-saviour seemed to think so. He seemed happy with my efforts to save people at least.
Yeah, all of this just needed me to support the team better, I'd have to work harder, but Craven's aren't one from shying away from a challenge.
I eventually see Gareth's transport incoming and walk to the meeting room.

----

I walk into the debriefing room, a few people are already here. I take the closet seat next to me, still playing with a ball of metal in my right hand.
The team looks beat but we can come back from this.
I just hope Ressiant is with my brother when he walks through that door. With this backlash, my brother is going to need his bodyguard.
And man, I could do with seeing her myself, she always lifts my spirits. She'd know what to do to help us be a better team.

Grow closer to the team, specifically Spark, giving influence to Spark and marking potential

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Tunneler
Fre:+1 Dan:-1 Sav:+1 Sup:+2 Mun:0
Potential: 0/5 Conditions: Angry Afraid

Tunneler sits crosslegged in the center of his room. He breathes in and out. The Cradle meditative techiques are supposed to be done in contact with the earth, to enter communion with the Magmatic Mother and gain perspective and solace from one's trouble and difficulties. But he is in need of some of that perspective, so he's going to meditate anyway, and if some stuffy bureaucrat six thousand miles down from here has anything to say on the matter he can just-

Breathe in, breathe out. Reflect on what happened, reflect on what upset you.

What is it that upset you? 'The mission was a failure, a spectacular failure at that.'
What can you do about it? 'Well, nothing now, really. I suppose I would have to try and make sure that we are not repeaters of failures like this one...'
Why did the upsetting thing happen?

Here Spadertaal stops to reflect. What exactly was the team's problem there? Ghost's plan seemed solid enough, she was very focused on the protection of civilians, that's what they should do anyhow. Was it Feijiang disrespecting her order? No, not really: that would have caused some problems, maybe there would have been a need to reshuffle the forces on the battlefield, but...

He knows what the problem was. He coudln't bring himself to say it, to think it directly, but he knows.

Spark. Spark had caused everything to-

No, no. The Cradle is not a place of accusation. The Cradle is a place of welcoming and peace. What were the questions to ask when you find yourself laying the blame on someone else?

Does the upsetter know that they have upset you. Yes. Well, probably. It stands to reason that I'd be upset about this, right?
If you are not sure, you must talk to them. Explain what have they done that has upset you.

'Oh, that's great advice, meditators of ages past. Tell the girl who has shaky control over her powers that she's a problem for the whole team, that would go down well'. He sighs.There is an understanding Chthonic society that if you make at mistake, it is acceptable to point it out to you and that you should strive to avoid doing that in the future; this applies to social interactions as well as more practical activities. A repeat offender usually faces a serious amount of scorn, especially if they are an adult or elder that should know better. It doesn't account for superpowered situations such as someone who doesn't have complete control over their powers.

Perhaps this should be handled the surfacer way... but what is exactly the surfacer way for this situation? Hard to tell. He'd normally ask the Clatterclaws or Miss Wraith, but they are so upset with what the corporeal one did already that he doesn't want to bother them. With a sigh, he raises himself and walks towards the meeting room. 'I must remember that this was an involutnary error on Spark's part, and that I should not be too hard on her.' he thinks as he traverses the stainless corridors. 'At the same time, she needs to understand that what happened today is unacceptable... but Mr. Garreth will probably make sure that message will be deilvered already. No need for me to twist the sword in the cut.'

He enters the meeting room, where the chilly atmosphere makes him hesitate for a second. He does an half-hearted wave and, seeing Clatterclaws clearly upset, sits down next to her. He says nothing: he gets the feeling that she's not in the mood to talk. He just hopes that having someone close will communicate that he, at least, does not consider her a monster to be shunned.

'Why aren't you sitting next to Spark then?', whispers a traitorious voice in his head. 'Because she isn't here yet.' he tells himself, pretending that's the real answer.

Tunneler grows away from the team, and Spark loese influence over him.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Freak: +2 Danger: +2 Savior: -1Superior: +1 Mundane: -1
Potential: 4/5 Conditions: Insecure Guilty Afraid, Hopeless

healing angry after waking up from coma

I woke up in a hospital bed. And for one brief moment of paradise I wondered how I'd got there. Then it hit me. I remembered exactly what I'd done I was a freak A monster. A danger to everyone around me. I should be in jail. I should be locked away from anyone I could hurt. I didn't want to hurt anyone else. I'd hurt them, I'd hurt innocent people and people I'd called friends. And the worst part was I'd enjoyed every sick minute of it. The power was like the greatest drug. Until it wore off. I groaned as I tried to move. I don't blame Clatterclaw for what she did but I wish she hadn't been so through about it. Or maybe I wished she'd done a better job of it a small part of me said. If she'd killed you, you wouldn't have to worry about losing control again. No I couldn't think like that.

I glanced up at the TV that someone had left switched on over my bed. The headlines were what I expected. Footage of me losing control of attacking my teammates of hurting innocent people. And what they were calling me. Irresponsible, reckless, lunatic, danger to herself and others. And the worst part of it was it was all right. I couldn't disagree with any of it. I reached out for water to clear my parched throat or maybe something to hurl at the TV to clear it's mocking commentary on my failures when instead my hands settled on a pad someone had left there.

I read it. I-- I don't know what to say. I appreciate the effort to cheer me up. But Vitle- Will was wrong. I'm a monster and if I keep having these bad days people are only going to get hurt. I was lucky I didn't kill anyone. Still he'd said there was a team meeting. I had to be there. I don't know where they'd put my clothes and I didn't have time to search them out. I staggered out of the infirmary wrapped in a hospital gown trying not to wince from the pain I was in. The base was strangely deserted but I guess everyone was busy putting out the fires. And some of those fires were probably literal and not metaphorical thanks to me.

I staggered grimly towards the debriefing room and hesitated as I stood outside the door. I could still run a part of me said. I could get out of here and find somewhere to hide. Somewhere where no one had ever heard the name Spark. But no I owed people that much besides all this mess was my fault. I should be the one to take responsibility for it. I stumbled inside and slumped into the nearest chair, not daring to make eye contact with any of my teammates for fear of what I'd see. I mentally rehearsed and practised the two words I was planning to say to Garth when I saw him. "I Quit"

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

As Ghost manages to drop all of the cookies on the floor, Gareth makes his entrance. The first thing that's immediately clear is that the man is clearly stressed out. He also hasn't entered alone. He's flanked on both sides by powerful looking women. Both women seem to be carrying short swords with them and while one looks to be covered in cybernetic armour, the other looks to be wearing simple clothing. The three of them head towards the rest of the group, with the woman in the simple clothing helping Ghost pick up her cookies before giving her a wink. She quickly joins Gareth and the other woman.

"Greetings team." Gareth begins. His voice sounds heavy as he addresses the group, a sure sign of the stress that he is currently undergoing. "I will not mince words. That mission did not go well. However, I am not here to admonish or punish you for your actions. While I can imagine you have been thinking very hard about why the mission went wrong, let us try and take something positive from it. To help me with this, I have two of my good friends with me tonight. Firstly, Captain Ressiant Stavos is my personal bodyguard. She has been with me ever since I have come to Harmonia and has been through many hardships, considering her upbringing in Riavell. As for my other guest, I'll let her introduce herself."

On his word, she immediately steps forward and brandishes her sword confidently. The sword lets out a jovial cry as it is released from its scabbard and she flashes a wide grin to the 6 heroes.

"Greetings The Unstoppable Wonder Valkyries! I am Sabre Knight, proud member of the Heroes of Harmony! This sword is my trusty companion, Siegfried! Together we fight for all that is good and just in Harmonia!" For a moment, she tries to keep a straight face, but almost immediately breaks character into a tiny fit of giggles.

"Ophelia, what have I said about breaking character in front of others?" Siegfried admonishes, sounding pretty exasperated for a sword. Ophelia takes a moment to gain back her composure, a silly grin still on her face.

"Siegfried, there's a time and place for characters. In any case, we need to be serious here." She turns back to the Valkyries. "By the way, you guys have the best superhero team name ever. I wish my team were half as interesting as you guys. In any case, I'm Ophelia Cladwell, a member of the Heroes of Harmony. You see, Gareth and I go back to ever since he first came to Harmonia and when I heard his team were facing some difficulties, I knew I had to help out. I saw the vids of you guys in action. Not going to lie, I've seen supervillains cause less property damage than you did. Still, you guys are strong and have lots of potential. You can't let one mistake bring you down. Sure, it was a humongous mistake, but so what? When I first started, I screwed up too. It's in our nature."

Ophelia hits a successful comfort/support roll on everyone.

"Now, with that in mind, Ressiant and I are not only here to provide you with kind words. We're part of the plan of action that the Heroes of Harmonia are undertaking to help your reputation improve. You know that danger room downstairs? You'd better get used to seeing it because you're going to be receiving personal training from Ressiant and myself tomorrow. Plus, as part of a media campaign to spin your team in a positive light, we're going to broadcast your training sessions to Harmonia. That way, you can show them how you really are, rather than have them focus on the Lextrix Shopping Center incident."

Ressiant suddenly steps forwards and stops Ophelia from talking. She had been standing silently behind Gareth the entire time listening to Ophelia address the team. She looks poised and composed as she moves next to her compatriate.

"But before that, we're going to address another issue that we found through watching your videos. Your unity. As a team, you need to be there to bolster each other and cover your weaknesses. A lack of communication can lead to misunderstanding and due to the powerful nature of most of your powers, that could spell disaster. With that in mind, we have decided that your group needs to have a bonding session this evening. As a group, you can decide how to have this session. It could be a party, or a discussion forum or even sparring matches with one another. If you do choose the final option, please wait until we're in the Danger Room before using your powers on each other. In the end, we hope to help not only improve team unity, but also help alleviate the stress you must be feeling after last mission."

What do you do?

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 4, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Hopeless

Clatterclaw did not speak, or unduly move during the briefing, even if her tenseness eased up a bit at the comforting words of the older heroes. Yes, perhaps this wasn't the end of the World. Perhaps there still was hope for them. She certainly wasn't really feeling any of it yet, though. Nevertheless, she managed to lift her downcast gaze and actually focus a bit on her surroundings instead of her overtly gloomy internal world, at least for a moment.

Hey, would you look at that. Spade was at her side. Good to know she was not entirely loathed. She almost managed a smile. Almost.

clearing Afraid

Still, she was not in the mood to really do anything. Or suggest anything. Really, she just wanted to get into bed, burrow into the sheets and disappe-

"Clatters likes sparring."

Miss Wraith gazed down upon her partner. And honestly, even though she could very deeply empathize with Clatterclaw, her moping was starting to grate on her.

"She has always liked dancing and whirling and performing with her claws. She has to get over this newfound doubt in herself." She crossed her arms, determined to drag her other half through this whatever it would take or regardless of what she was going to say. And indeed, when Clatterclaw was about to raise a half-hearted objection, Miss Wraith silenced her with nothing but a stern hush that the former had no energy left to overpower.

With a quiet tsk, Miss Wraith pointed at Feijiang. "Maybe you? You know how to fight. And she looks up to you." Then the Tunneler "Or perhaps you, Spade? You are a good friend and she needs support right now". A pre-emptive glare from her quieted any word in edgewise Clatterclaw might have had.

Then, she turned at Spark, her spectral expression unreadable. "And you. Perhaps you should spar. I know it will be hard. But better deal with this now than to let wounds fester."

Miss Wraith leered at the other three teens, and also everybody else who she felt might have objected. Seems like she was not willing to take a no for an answer or let this issue stand unresolved. And indeed, she would drag someone to spar with Clatterclaw, kicking and screaming if need be, even if she had to somehow figure out how to solidify her ethereal body to do it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Freak: +2 Danger: +2 Savior: -1Superior: +1 Mundane: -1
Potential: 4/5 Conditions: Insecure Guilty Afraid, Hopeless

I sat up a little straighter in the briefing. At least the rest of the team wasn't going to be punished for my fuckups.

removing afraid thanks to the comfort and support roles.

Well the rest of my soon to be former team I should say. I turned to Wraith and said "I don't think I'll be sparring with anyone. I'm afraid." I turned to Garth and said the two words that had been churning in my gut the whole time I was listening to him speak. "I quit." I held up my hand before he could protest. "All this was my fault if I hadn't have lost control the way I did none of this would have happened. I take full responsibility for the damage done and the injuries caused. If it hadn't been for me no need have gotten hurt. Look just let me go and then please stick me in some prison cell or lab or something far from anyone else. I don't want to hurt anyone. And that's what I do. I lose control and I hurt people." I said bitterly. "I'm sorry." I said to the team. "Sorry for screwing this up for you all and I hope it works out for you." I said. "Now can you do me a favour and find me some clothes before you drag me off to jail please." and that was that. It was what I deserved after all.

forgot to do my end of session move: Grow into your own image of yourself. Explain how you see yourself and why; shift one Label up and another down. Spark sees herself as a freak a monster. A danger to everyone around her. Knocking Mundane down and raising Freak

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions:

Clearing Guilty, and shifting Feijiang's labels so her mundane is up, and freak down.

How could you mess this up, Pepper? All you had to do was bring the cookies, but you had to go and mess that up, too, didn't you? I guess the least I can do now is clean up this mess before Gareth arrives.

I see someone hand me one of the dropped cookies, "Oh! Thank yo-"

Is that? No, it couldn't be. I'm just hallucinating, right? That can't...

....oh

....oh my GOD

itsheritsheritsactuallyheromgomgomgicantbelieveshesactuallyhereandshewinkedatmeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhsheactuallywinkedatmeandshessmiling shessocoolicantbelieveknightsaberishereomgshessoamazingandbeautifulandstrongandherswordiscoolshessocoolahhhhhh hhhhbreathbreathyougottastaycoolyoucantstaycoolmaybeishouldtakeapictureohmygodthatwouldbethebest

"I quit.

...Huh?

All this was my fault if I hadn't have lost control the way I did none of this would have happened.

Spark, no, you can't... you're not serious.

I don't want to hurt anyone. And that's what I do. I lose control and I hurt people.

Spark, I... I...

...I can't believe you.

I walk up to Spark, lifting my hand up, and slapping her, as hard as I can. Ow. I think I just hurt myself with that.

The silence is almost deafening, and before she could say anything else or do anything, I hug her. I hug her as tight as I can.

"Stop that. STOP that. Stop hurting yourself. You are not a monster! You're a part of this team, and you belong here, just as much as anybody else. I know... I know things got bad, and lots of people got hurt, but... but running away won't solve that. It'll be hard, but you don't have to be alone, okay? We're all here for each other. That's what a team is all about, right? We stick together, through thick and thin. I promise, things will get better, for all of us. We can get through this, and we'll be better. So, please, Barbara, just... stop acting like you're alone."

quote:

<HugzillaAway> Comforting Spark
<HugzillaAway> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> HugzillaAway, 8+4 = 12

Oh buh. I made a mistake. I don't have influence on Spark anymore, so that's actually a +3. Still an 11!

If Spark opens up to me, she can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift Labels, and I can add a Team to the pool

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 4, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: +3 | Savior: -2 | Superior: +1| Mundane: +1

Feijiang's eyes light up as Sabre Knight gives her in-character speech. For a moment, she looks almost exactly like Ghost as she stares in awe.

"Ah-HA!" she shouts, practically leaping up from her seat to strike a dramatic pose. It looks kind of off since she's not in her full costume at the moment. "I am Feijiang The Unstoppable! The Bull of Riavell! Pleased to meet you!"

The way she looks like right now, is a pretty stark change from how she was just moments ago. When Feijiang walked into the room she didn't look nearly as bad as some members of the team, but she still wasn't in a good mood. But now, in this moment, none of that seems to matter. That's just the kind of effect that real, bona-fide heroes can have, isn't it?

As Ophelia goes on to explain the need for training, Feijiang nods excitedly. But then after that, when Ressiant talks about team unity, Feijiang's smile seems to twitch awkwardly. As if it's being forced. For some reason.

"Bonding session...?" Feijiang looks a little confused at first. But then something else that's said jumps out at her, as if it were her favorite word. "Oh, sparring?!"

Feijiang grins wildly, and almost seems to twitch with excitement. "I can do that!" Then she looks at Wraith and Clatterclaw. "You wanna fight? Let's fight!"

But then she's caught off-guard by a sudden announcement from Spark. "What?! Are you just going to run away?!" Feijiang looks strangely disappointed for some reason. "Already-"

She almost seems like she is going to launch into a rant, but then suddenly stops when Ghost steps in. Which if you hadn't been paying attention to how she's been with Ghost very recently, is pretty strange too...

Hey Ghost, you actually got to shift my stats twice last time so now you get to do it again.

e: Also I marked potential from the comfort but forgot to note it explicitly. whoops

Takanago fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 4, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Gareth enters.
Man, he looks bad! Like after that Craven report in the Daily Harmonia. Gareth doesn't get angry, he carries the stress and disappointment inside him. Trying to hide it from everyone.
Then I see Ressiant and my whole day get better!
By the heavens, it was good to see her. My whole body relaxed. Had I been worrying about Gareth that much? Of course I had, he might take death threats as some normal thing for a councillor, I don't.

I smile at Ressiant, sure she wasn't going to smile back at me, she's on duty. If I can catch her later though, maybe we can chat. And maybe she can explain to me how my brother even got stuck in this mess looking after a bunch of disaster creating teens.

Huh? Funny. Gareth had never mentioned Sabre knight before. Then again Gareth knows a lot of people. I like her, she seems fun, and exciting. But twitch when she mentions training vids and sending them to the press. Training is important but one of us could easily loose control in these danger rooms and how good is that going to look. I'm not thinking about Spark as I say it. I look down at the metal, twirling in my hands.
"Release." I whisper into my hand. The metal slinks down my arm and squirms it way into a tube on my chest. Best to put that stuff away for now.

Then Ressiant butts in like I knew she would, calming everything down and says the exact thing I wanted to hear.
Yes! That's exactly what this team needs. Time to actually be a team! We need to get to know each other, find our places.
Sparring seems to be on a lot of people's minds, and I like that Miss Wraith is speaking out. Such confidence, she just tells it like it is, no messing around. That's someone I can be friends with!

"I quit"

I stand up so quickly out of my chair it falls over, twisting in my tubes as it moves, getting tangled.
Spark explains how she wants to be put in a lab or a cell! No loving way! I'm not letting that happen.
I nearly got put in one of those things, and look at me I am a monster. Spark is not a monster.
I want to say all these things, I want to stop her but Ghost gets there first.
....it's not the approach I would have used but it looks to have worked.

Ghost talks about not being alone and I smile. I knew she'd be a good leader, the best leader.

Having untied myself from the chair- giving a glance to Gareth letting him know he better not laugh at me! - I walk closer to Spark.

"Spark please, Ghost is right, you aren't alone here. We are your team, your friends, and we aren't letting you go to some damned hole in the ground to be forgotten, you hear me? I've lost control of my powers before, the metal's gone wild. I wish I'd had people by me when it happened. A team to stand behind me and make sure I was ok. Friends who I could talk to. Hell, if it hadn't been for my brother, those assholes who assumed I was a danger would have taken my own skin and blood off me as government property. But you've got us, us heroes don't shy away from a fight and we stand together, you got a place to work on your powers now and learn about them and people who aren't afraid of you Spark! People who care and- well drat- I mean I can't speak for everyone but I know I'd take a few hits from you if it meant you'd think better of yourself than this. You're strong Spark and no body here thinks you're a monster. Trust me, I know better than anyone."

I did know, I know the face some one makes when they see one. I get it all the time. No one in this room thought she was a monstrosity. Like I knew she did, she thought of herself as I dangerous freak. I know, cause she's making the same face I've caught myself making every morning in the mirror. But Spark wasn't a freak, ok dangerous I'll allow, but that can be changed.

quote:

Using the move Wish I could be: Comfort someone by telling them what you envy about them and roll +freak instead of mudane
comfort Spark: 2d6+3 8
Clear a condition, mark potential, or shift labels, Spark.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 4, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Potential: 1/5 Conditions: Angry Afraid

Spadertaal-Karaan listens intently to what Mr. Gareth says, pleasantly surprised by the encouraging words he has for the team. He had walked in expecting to be completely chewed out, and all he had provided were possible solutions to their problems. How perceptive of him to realize that they're already perfectly aware of the damage they've caused!

This Ophelia person is also very nice. The way she points out their flaws but encourages them to overcome them reminds him of the most polite Chthonian mores: encouraging, but fair. They can pick up the pieces and try again. There's no need to be upset.

Clearing Angry.

The team seems to jump to the idea of bonding via sparring which... isn't exactly what Spade would have gone with. He'd prefer a more relaxed exercise, after all the violence and excitement of their battel with the titan and the sprite. But hearing Miss Wraith champion the idea and mention how much Clatterclaws is into it...

Poor Clatterclaws. She's really feeling down about this. Spade can hardly imagine what it must be like, having hurt someone else to the point of almost ending their life. He can't stand to see her like this; something must be done, and he's not sure he's the right person to do it, but he must try.
"Uh, Clatterclaws? Listen, I'm an understander that you're feeling really bad right now. And yeah, what you did was pretty bad. But, listen... you can't let a mistake be your paralizer, no matter how bad it was. We can still fix this, won't we? It's just like Miss Ophelia just said; mistakes happen, we just have to learn from them. I've seen an attitude like hers in a lot of surfacers, actually: taking a mistake you've made and trying to learn from it, so it doesn't happen again. It's a quality I'm an admirer of."
He smiles. "I think you are like that too, Clatterclaws. You're a... mistake-learner."

He delicately moves to touch her powerful, scary metal hands with his own; it produces a pleasant, delicate note. He chuckles beside himself "Sorry about that."

Supporting my claw buddy Clatterclaws, using The Best Of Them: !r 2d6+1
12:37 PM !r 2d6+1
12:37 PM PXGentleman, 2+1 = 3
12:37 PM paradoxicalGentleman nooooo

Sometimes you pour your heart out and it still doesn't work. Marking potential.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Freak: +3 Danger: +2 Savior: -1Superior: +1 Mundane: -2
Potential: 4/5 Conditions: Insecure, Guilty, Hopeless

I'm not sure what reaction I was expecting to my announcement but this wasn't it. I thought they'd hate me or fear me. Or worse than that pity me. Ok the slap I could have kind have expected but not the hug and then I was acutely concious about how close Ghost--Pepper was hugging me. A part of me wanted to take advantage of that. Of how close she was to me. But no I couldn't not when I was still a danger to anyone around me. I couldn't inflict that on someone i might.... find myself caring about. Instead I could feel tears welling up my eyes. She didn't have to do this. None of them did. They should have just washed their hands of me. Let me go. I whispered in Ghost's ear. "If this happens again you need to stop me. To channel the fire I need to be concious. So make sure I'm out for the count next time." it wasn't what I wanted to say to her. But it was the only thing I could say. I owed it to her. I owed it to all of them.

removing the condition hopeless. and sharing a vulnerability with Ghost which means I can remove insecure. And she could mark influence on me. If she didn't already have it. So now she gets to shift my labels.

I blinked through the tears as I heard Vitreloy's impassioned speech. What had I done to earn loyalty and friendship like this. I mean they should have been eager to throw me out after the way I'd behaved. And I wouldn't have blamed them one bit. I think it was the most I'd ever heard him say in one go and I won't lie I was grateful that he'd decided to speak up for me. It still didn't change what I'd done. But I felt better knowing that someone saw me as not just another freak. Another monster. But as a person who could do better. I wasn't going to let him down if I could help it.

marking potential from Vitreloy's roll. And taking the Bulls heart from the Bull playbook.

"I-I withdraw my offer to quit." I said trying dry my eyes as I looked at Gareth "Still I was serious about taking responsibility for the damage caused. All this was my fault and I don't want my tea-friends to take the blame for something I did."

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 4, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Clatterclaw did not turn to look at Spade when she was addressed, neither did her expression change. However, the fact that her fists were clenching fairly hard on her lap was a signal that the message had not remained unheard. And indeed, after a little awkward silence, she did indeed utter a response. Well, 'utter' is probably the wrong term. 'Spit' would most likely be more appropriate.

"Of course I'll loving learn of it.", she was still emptily staring forwards, but her tone was caustic, "And unlike some people here, I don't need your patronizing goddamn pity to do any of that. I don't need someone to tell me how my mistakes make me actually great to not make a huge melodramatic show of running away like a coward."

"Yes.", Miss Wraith chimed in, apparently relieved that Clatterclaw was showing some signs of life at least, even if they weren't very encouraging ones. "Unlike some people who ruin everything and then make a huge pathetic show out of themselves to gather back-pats, we deal with our problems."

And with that, Clatterclaw rose from her seat, slammed her hands on the table, turned around and left. "I'm going to the training grounds. Whoever wants to get beat up can follow", she exclaimed from the doorway before leaving. Miss Wraith, for her part, merely gave one last glance and a "Someone better come", before floating through the floor, arms crossed and giving the stink-eye the entire time.

quote:

Theantero: Provoking Spark to deal with her problems instead of being a pathetic pity-magnet
Theantero: !r 2d6
Krysmbot: Theantero, 11 = 11

OOC: Stop this whole 'Buuh but I am a monster uhh' thing and take some palpable action towards bettering yourself. +1 towards doing that if you do, mark a condition if you don't.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Don't worry," I whisper back, "I'll find a way to help you." I squeeze her a little tighter.

Getting back my influence on Spark, and marking the drive " help a teammate when they most need you," and marking potential, which means I advance now! I'm choosing Suck it, Domitian for my advancement.

Will, I'm so glad you're here, and I'm even happier that you've decided to say something. You know how she feels, don't you? Better than I ever could. I really wish you'd cut the whole "blah I'm a monster!" thing already, but you look... a little different? Much more confident and sure of yourself. I give him a smile, and a little silent thank you.

Things are finally looking up. We're finally coming together, as a team, as friends, and I know we ca-

I was shaken out of my thoughts by the sound of someone slamming a table. Oh no, I forgot about Rachel. I was so wrapped up with Spark I forgot she was suffering too, and all I did was made it worse. Now's she angry, really angry, and before I could say anything to them, they both already left. Stupid, Pepper, that was stupid.

I let out a long sigh. If it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it?

"Barbara," I run my hand through my hair as I try to think of how to say this, "If you don't want to go, I won't make you, but I think you should. It's better to get it over with now so it won't be worse later. Just promise me one thing: don't overdo it, alright? Clatterclaw Miss Wraith, they might get a little... rough, but try to resist the urge to go all out, okay?" I put my hand on her shoulder, and give her a reassuring grin, "I know you can do it."

I turn to Will, "Vitreloy, can I speak to you for a moment?" I pull him aside, where Spark can't hear us, "Will, thanks, I don't know if I could've done it without you. Would it be okay if I asked you to stick with her for a bit longer? I think she might need it. And Will?" I looked at him with a stern face, and waggled my finger at him, "Cut it out with the monster stuff, will ya? Don't you realize what you've done? Out of all of us, you were the most heroic one. You saved Jessica and all those people when none of us could. No "monster" could do that."

I walk up to Spade next. Poor little guy, he tried so hard, and I know that feeling really well. I sit down next to him. "Hey, Spade. You know Rach- Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith more than I do. If it's no trouble, would you mind looking out for them?"

Ugh, I'm exhausted. I found myself walking up next to Feijiang without really thinking about it. All I wanted to do was just lean over an- wait, why am I thinking that? Huh.

"Boy," I say after a few awkward seconds pass, "This sure has been a day, huh Fei? Hehe." That sure doesn't sound forced.

Shifting Feijiang's labels for a second time so Savior is up and Danger is down.

Wait, am I forgetting something? No, I'm pretty sure that's it. Except that Gareth is still standing there, with his bodyguard, and Ms. Caldwell.

OH CRAP THEY'RE STILL HERE

Does this mean they were watching the whole thing? Oh noooooooo. Just bury me, right now. Find me some faraway crypt and save me from all this embarrassment.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 4, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ophelia watches with great amusement as Feijiang introduces herself.

"I like your spunk, kid." She retorted, giving her a thumbs up. The positivity in the room gets sucked out at Spark's announcement and a look of horror shoots across Gareth's face. Similarly, Reissant adopts a look of minor shock while Ophelia looks disappointedly towards her. As Gareth moved to say something, he was immediately interrupted by Ghost. At this point, the three silently watched over the team. They knew better than to interfere with the inner machinations of the team. Gareth, at the very least, seemed openly relieved when Spark changed her tune while Reissant looked impassive.

"Ooh, this is going to be interesting," Siegfried whispers to Ophelia as Clatterclaw storms out of the room. Opheila and Gareth exchange concerned looks while Reissant lets out a small sigh to herself.

"If you don't mind, Gareth, I'll be making my way down to observe the sparring matches." Reissant addresses before swiftly following behind Clatterclaw. Gareth nods his head at her, still tired from the events of the day. He still manages to give Spark a friendly smile.

"To be fair, Spark, you probably would not have been allowed to quit. I'm sure you realize by now that no prison would be able to contain you or your powers. If you truly want to take responsibility for your powers, then you need to learn to stop running from your mistakes. Face them head on and learn from them. That's probably what Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith were trying to convey." He stops talking, looking towards the entry way towards the danger room. "As Ghost has said, it may be better for you to confront Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith rather than letting that divide grow. I can assure you that the Danger Room has been made with the most resilient technology known to Fuseon or Riavell. If the worse case scenario does occur, your friends not in the room will be safe."

On the other hand, Opheila makes her way towards Ghost.

"Hey there kiddo." She flashes her signature smile and pats her on the back. "I can see why your team elected you the leader. You have the social aspects down pat. However, that can only get you so far. Sometimes, you need to lead the team by example. I watched the videos and there were times where you were flustered or obviously stressed. While it's certainly ok to feel those things, you need to work on your confidence. I can see that you have it in you, you just need to manifest it. Stand behind your decisions and if necessary, be there on the front lines. If you show your hand too much, that energy can pass on to the others and make them feel doubtful. I'm not saying it will be easy. Heck, it took me a long time to portray my confident side to the world. Just remember that as a leader, not only does the public look to you, but the team does as well."

She smiles warmly at Ghost, giving her another wink before straightening herself up and helping herself to one of the cookies that she had managed to sneak into her pocket.

"These cookies are amazing! In any case, you guys should probably follow after Reissant. If you don't want to fight, there's an observation area where you can watch over what happens in the Danger Room from on high. I know I'll be headed there." With that, Ophelia trots off to the Danger Room Observation Area, her sword humming along with her.

What do you do?

- - - - -

Meanwhile, Reissant meets up with Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith inside of the danger room. Her expression never changes as she walks up to the pair.

"I know I don't need to tell you to be more careful with your claws." Reissant frankly states, taking out her blade. "I'll be observing the sparring matches from inside the danger room. If I feel that anyone is getting too close to causing serious harm, I will intervene. I assume you're ok with this?"

You could tell it wasn't really a question. She seemed deadly serious and from being Gareth's bodyguard, you know that she is at least skilled with her blade. She takes a moment to look you over before asking.

"So, what was with the display you made back there? Why do you really want to spar? I assume there is more reasoning behind your motivations than just being for fun, am I wrong?"

What do you do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Clatterclaw set aside her weapons, and started her usual routine of stretches and warm-ups to prevent tissue damage to her softer parts during training. Her movements were smooth, almost unnaturally so, as if she was overcompensating for inner turmoil by acting pointedly serenely outwardly. Miss Wraith quieted in meditation.

"Clearly you do not need to tell me to be more careful", she answered, her tone still cold even if the venomous edge was gone, "Somebody almost died because I wasn't." She closes her eyes and stops her movements for a bit, as if gathering composure, before continuing. "So why am I here you ask? Maybe it's because I don't want that to happen again? Maybe it's because I have enough spine to realize who is truly to blame, and that what we need is more training instead of more hugs to make it better?" Clatterclaw starts reciting her moves. They really are quite pretty to look at, however, it seems that she is cutting off a lot of the little poses and flairs that she has enjoyed doing in the past for the sake of increased efficiency.

Her movements start to quicken, and her voice waver. "Perhaps it's because I am not in the mood for a goddamn party out of all things after a catastrophe like this? My best friend is disfigured, perhaps permanently, because she had the temerity to trust in me knowing what the hell I am doing. Of me being good enough." She wipes at her eyes, removing some of the tears that had started to well up. "Maybe it's because unlike some people, I realize that we and we alone are to blame for that? That all that property is lost and those people hurt because of our screw-ups. Maybe it's because I refuse to make a huge pity-begging show out of myself like it's me that needs or deserves any of that. Imagine what kind of gall that would require? To screw up that badly, cause all that damage to others, and then make yourself and your pain the center of it all even though you've lost NOTHING!" Clatterclaw was yelling now, but catches herself, and modulates her voice down a bit.

"So in short: We won't fix this with self-pity, and we do not deserve a party. Is that a good enough reason for us to spar?"

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith

Reissant stayed silent, letting Clatterclaw vent out her feelings. Her expression stayed impassive, but a twinge of understanding could be seen if you looked hard enough. In response to your question, Reissant gathers her thoughts for a second before responding with sharp clarity.

"I can understand where you are coming from. I am glad that you are able to recognise your flaws and taking action towards improving yourself." She walks up to you and lays a hand softly on your shoulder, crouching to your eye level. "However, do not let emotions cloud your judgment. While there are certainly times where it is appropriate to focus on training, you cannot neglect your emotional health. The main purpose of these sessions are to release negative emotions that have been built up from the mission. I suggested a party not to celebrate the mission, but to celebrate that you are still a team and recognise that you are there for each other."

Reissant gives you a small smile, a rarity for the bodyguard.

"I can tell you that Jessica is not permenantly disfigured. The majority of her burns were on her back and the most obvious of them have been dealt with. I personally doubt that Spark did the things she did because she wanted a pity party. She probably has just a strong a burden as you, but it may not manifest in the same way."

"Clatterclaw. Never forget you are a hero. While that may sound strange to you, you would not be with the Heroes of Harmony if we thought otherwise. Know that your team are here for you, as are the Heroes of Harmony. We believe in you."

Reissant is using her influence to shift Saviour up and Danger down.

What do you do?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Gareth's words caught me by surprise.

You probably would not have been allowed to quit.

Not allowed to quit? What does that mean? What would you have done if Spark didn't change her mind? Just tell her "Nah, sorry, you're stuck here," and let that be that, or would you have taken a more forceful approach?

I'm just overthinking this, I got to be. Gareth has been nothing but kind and patient with us after our mess, but still, there's something about that response that just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I'll ask Will, he knows his brother well enough. He'll probably tell me I'm silly and that's just the way Gareth talks. Yea, that's probably it.

"Hey there kiddo."

Huh?

Oh, it's Ms. Caldwell, and she's... smiling... at... me....

She's smiling at me!? Oh my god! I can't believe it! She's actually talking to me! Ahhhh she's even cooler up close! And her smile, I've never seen a smile so bright before! Maybe this is my chance to get her autograph? Or a picture? No wait, I can do both! I'll get a picture taken of us, and have her autograph it, and I'll treasure it for the rest of my life! Oh God Pepper breath don't pass out it's not like the idol you've dreamed of meeting for years IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

...Then her words sink into me, and I could feel all my excitement be washed away.

I did get flustered, didn't I? I felt so overwhelmed and lost during that whole moment, and I was just giving orders without thinking them through, or was I overthinking them? It's hard to tell now. That's when I realized the full weight of my responsibilities. It's not enough that I have to make up for my lack of skill, but I also have to lead an entire group of people who are more special than I am. I need to make decisions, be confident, never show fear or hesitation, care for them, inspire them, all while working extra hard out in the field so I don't fall behind.

I felt a wave of exhaustion hit me as my body slumps over. It was a lot to take in, and I think Ms. Caldwell noticed it. She gave me another smile, and - I don't know how to describe it, actually. There was something about her it and the way she composed herself that put me a little more at ease, like she knows exactly what I'm dealing with. It made me feel a little more confident about myself, like I can really do this. It'll be hard, but a heroes work is never easy, is it?

"These cookies are amazing!"

"O-Oh! Thanks! My dad made those. I can have him make more later if you want!"

--

I sat in the conference room for a few moments, thinking about what Ms. Caldwell said, about everything that happened, and about mom. I was so lost in thought I never noticed that everybody has left the conference room by now. Well, mostly everybody. Feijiang is still here. I wonder why? Usually she'd be the first to run out the door as soon as she hears the words "challenge" and "duel."

Actually, there's a question I've been meaning to ask her ever since we got back, and since she's still here and nobody else is around, this might be the perfect chance to ask her. I get up from my seat and make my way to her- Huh. Why do I feel nervous all of a sudden?

As I got closer, my steps started slowing down, by breathing got a little heavier, and I felt my chest tighten up a little. Come on, Pepper, you and her are cool now. It's not like she resents you anymore for being leader, this doesn't have to be so hard.

"Uh, F-Fei?" I stammered out. My head swiveled away almost instinctively when she looked at me, "Yea, I-I guess it's just y-you and me now, huh? Nobody el-else around except for us. Hehe." The more she looks at me, the more nervous I become, "I... hey, so, uh, yea, I was- I was w-ondering... I was wondering, hehe," Why did I laugh there? "You k-k-know, like, uh, if um," I wasn't even trying to look at her anymore. My vision is planted firmly on the floor and all I can see now are my feet shuffling nervously. My heart was beating a mile a minute. Why can't I ask her? I bit my lower lip and attempted to continue on, "I wa-was wondering if you would... if you would... would..."

Agh! Stop, Pepper, this is pathetic! You're talking to Feijiang, you should say it with more confidence! No hesitation! I clench my fists, puff up my cheeks, take a stance, look her dead in the eye, and yell out, as loud as I possibly can, "I was wondering if you would train me!" The words echoed into the empty room, "I don't want to hold anybody back anymore. I feel like I've just been a burden, and I'm sick of it! I want to be strong, like you! Please, teach me how to fight!"

I stood there, still breathing heavily, fists still clenched, but my body stopped shaking. My body was filled with a determination I never knew I had before. I don't want to be weak anymore. I don't want anymore people to be hurt. I don't want my friends to hurt anymore. I will be strong, and be the leader they deserve.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 5, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0

Clatterclaw took a deep breath (not that she needed to breathe), exhaled, and looked to the side a bit as she slumped to a seat. She seemed exhausted. "Righ, right", she spoke, her tone was equally tired. "You have a point of course, sorry for yelling and all that. It's just..." Clatterclaw sighed again, "I'm seriously not feeling a party right now. Perhaps later, but not now. I just feel like I really need to do this right now, you know."

She looked up at Reissant. "Also, thanks for the news on Jessica. That's... that's legitimately very relieving for us both to hear. Thank you."

She stays silent for a moment, before resuming her little routine. She seemed just as determined as moments before, but this time it seemed at least a bit more genuine, instead of a mere psychological survival mechanism.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Potential: 0/5 Conditions: Guilty,

Clatterclaw was right I suppose. I did need to learn to control myself better. But I resented the implication that I was a coward. I had been prepared to quit to take the full blame for everything that went wrong and even to go to jail to be punished for my actions. I don't think those are the actions of a coward. And now there was one of thse big genuine heroes giving me advice. Did they really mean there wasn't a prison capable of holding me? I mean sure I can be strong. But the thought that I might well be unstoppable if I lose it again is downright scary. Which I suppose brings it back round to the overall point of this exercise. I had to learn to master the flame before it mastered me. I'd just be a liability to everyone around me until I did. "I-I suppose I can try to do it." I said to Gareth.

There was no suppose about I had to learn . Otherwise I was just another walking bomb waiting to go off. "Ok just give me a bit of time to change into something more suitable and I'll head down there." I'd have to be careful when sparring of course. If I went all-out it might end up like the mall all over again and that was the last thing I wanted. I headed up to my room to grab a change of clothes and get out of this ridiculous medical garment and changed into my street clothes. That done I headed back down and stood awkwardly outside the door to the training area. It was one thing to say it was safe but it was another thing to believe it. Still despite my heart beating faster I had to do it now. I had to what was that Riavellen phrase I'd heard the other day? "Get back on the horse" that's it.

I took a deep breath and walked in. Everyone else with the exception of Ghost and Feijiang was already there. Clatterclaw was talking with one of the big heroes who came with Gareth. Still it was best to get this over sooner rather than later. I walked up to her just in time to catch the end of Clatterclaws little rant. "You're right" I said softly. "This isn't about me. Or you. Or us. It's about the people who got hurt because of what happened. I can't change what I've done. But hopefully I can change what I'm going to do in the future." That hope was the only thing keeping me going right now, but she didn't need to know that. "I have to learn how to control myself. To use my powers properly. And that takes practice. So I have just one question for you. Are you going to help me or not?" I asked " Because I don't think I can do this on my own. I'm not asking for your pity or your support. I know I don't deserve either. But I am asking for your help."

[17:40] Ferrosol provoking clatterclaw
[17:41] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[17:41] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 5-1 = 4
This is not my game.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0

There is a moment of silence.

"Sure."

Clatterclaw, for all her earlier bluster, was having trouble looking Spark in the eye now that she had cooled down a bit. They had been good friends before the incident (funny how every mission this team took together became an 'incident'. Not a very encouraging sign), after all. This total, sudden turnabout in their relationships was a bit jarring.

"That's why we're both here, isn't it? To stop being screw-ups that are a danger to those around us? Maybe someday we become good enough that people will be happy instead of terrified to see us at the scene, heh."

A little smile wavered on her face for a fleeting moment as she started walking from the dressing room to the Danger Room proper. She addresses Spark from the doorway, without turning to look at her.

"Hey, Spark?"

"...I'm glad you came."

Then she was off to the arena, Miss Wraith following her trail, giving Spark a little thumbs up on the down low as she went.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Clatterclaw leaves with such anger and I want to say something but what is there to say. Ressiant follows her and I know she'll do the right thing, know what to say.

Ghost calls me over, she wants me to stay with Spark for a bit.
"Hey, you know I've always got your back and yeah, sure, I've no problem staying with her for a while."
In fact, I had no problem being near her at all, for how ever long I could get away with. But having the excuse of the leader told me to, would make my appearance easier for everyone. Hanging around the team felt odd, I knew they must thing I was strange but man I needed them.
Ghost tells me off for thinking I'm a monster, saying I'm a hero.
"Hey, I couldn't have done it without you guys. I'll mess up one day, I just hope you're there when I need you."
It sounds a bit more desperate than I wanted. I know one day the metal won't listen to my commands and on that day I know the team will have to carry me. At least this time, I was able to hold things together.
I run off to catch up to Spark, keeping to her left side.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind if I tag along for a while? I just...just wanted to keep you company."
I've suddenly gotten shy and I don't know why. Funny, after giving such a speech in front of the group, that a one to one conversation with Spark would leave me speechless.

She heads off to the arena and I give her a little thumbs up. Clatterclaw seems to have calmed down some too, which is great.
Ressiant seems to be staying in the danger room too and I slide up next to her.
"Hey, do you mind if I come inside with you? I won't get in the way, I swear. I'm not a big fighter but I can take care of myself. I won't interfere with Clatterclaw, Miss Wraith and Spark...unless you say it's ok of course?"
I say the last part jokingly, hoping to catch a smile from her. I don't expect her to drop the bodyguard act in front of the team though.
But I walked inside with them, I'd been asked to stay with Spark, I wasn't going to just let her go into the danger room alone.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Potential: 1/5 Conditions: Afraid

'Well, write down another defeat for the Chthonian method', thinks the moleman bitterly as he looks at his friend challenging his other friend's attitude and then storming off, expecting a sparring match. He's still not convinced that this is going to help, but you never know. Maybe it's a documented surfacist conflict resolution method. Who is he to argue?

When Ghost approaches him and asks him to keep an eye on them, he nods once. He probably would have done that anyway. He then jumps down and trots after Reissant, towards the observation area.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 6, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1| Mundane: +1

"Hmmm?" Feijiang turns around when Ghost calls her name. "Hey, Ghost..."

There's a slightly heavy tone in her voice. A very small leftover of some of the negative feelings from earlier in the meeting. But these few negative feelings left seem to get pushed away when Ghost starts to really struggle with her words. Which is pretty quickly.

"You were wondering..." Feijiang raises her eyebrows curiously as she repeats Ghosts own words. "You were wondering if..."

Feijiang leans in closer to Ghost and turns her head to better listen to her quiet, awkward words. But then when Ghost suddenly shouts, Feijiang recoils back.

"OH!" Feijiang's brief look of suprise quickly turns into a wide, excited grin. "You want learn how to fight?! From me?!" She almost sounds like she doesn't believe these things as she repeats them out loud. "You want me to teach you how to fight?!""

It almost even sounds like she's mocking the idea, if not for her clearly happy expression.

"Ah-HA!" The warrior laughs and strikes a pose. "Then teach you I shall! I shall be the greatest teacher!"

Feijiang beams for a few seconds, then seems to get distracted by some other thoughts. "Now then..." She puts her hand on her chin and stares off into space. "What type of fighting do you want to learn? We could go with a standard weapon... Or some bare-handed martial arts... Or focus on the dynamics of the fight... Or...."

How do you even properly teach someone how to fight, anyway? Maybe she could do it like her old dojo teacher. Except she never actually listened to him. Feijiang never actually cared about technique by the time she was there. She didn't 'need' it.

And the only other person who ever really taught her how to fight was... her father. Ugh. Feijiang frowns for a second, but then quickly forces the thought out of her mind. What does that matter, anyway?

"...I'm sure we'll figure it out." Feijiang smirks, then looks away from Ghost and towards the door. "Are you ready?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Yes! Yes I am!"

For that one brief moment, all my worries, doubts, and fears were gone. Feijiang's excitement was almost infectious, and I could feel a fire burning inside of me. I threw myself at Feijiang, wrapping my arms around her neck, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

A few seconds pass before I realized what I was doing, and how close I was to her. The smile on my face slowly starts to fade and I could feel my cheeks getting a little warmer. "Uhhh."

I let go as fast as I could, and put myself a fair distance away from her. I turn my head to look away from her, hoping she doesn't notice how red my face has gotten, "Sorry, I don't know what came over me." I let out a small nervous giggle. Why do I have to make everything so awkward, like, all the gosh darn time?

I have to salvage this situation before it gets worse, "I'll... just get ready, yea? I'll go change into my costume and meet you there," my costume being a hand-knitted black shirt with a cute ghost on it, a modified pair of leather gloves, shorts, sneakers, and a bandanna with eye holes cut out. It might not look like much, but it's what my dad made for me as a parting away gift, so it means the world to me.

"I'm going to take a shortcut," I say before I go through one of the walls. I peak my head back into the conference room, and take one more glance at Feijiang. I give her a little wave, "I'll see you there." I moved my head back through the wall, and made my way to the danger room. I refuse to just be an observer anymore, I'll do whatever it takes to get us back together.

Plus, I owe Rachel a hug, too, and cookies. I hope she doesn't mind floor cookies.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Vitreloy, Spark and Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith

Reissant looks to Vitreloy as impassively as she had done so in the past. She hesitates, thinking for a moment before answering Vitreloy question.

"I will allow it, Willard. You will need to keep yourself safe, though. I will be focusing on the battle and may not be able to watch over you the entire time. Judging from the sheer power from the combatants, it's probably going to be a very chaotic fight."

Once she was assured that everyone else was in the danger room's observation area, she turned her attention towards Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith and Spark.

"The match between Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith and Spark will begin. First one to make their opponent concede wins. I will remind the both of you that if I think one of you is going too far, I will intervene. Is that clear?"

She gives time for the other two to accept, nodding her head towards them when they do.

"Gareth, if you would activate the simulation. Choose an appropriate arena for them."

"I believe this shall suffice." You hear Gareth say over the intercom, as your surroundings suddenly change. Rock formations suddenly start to crop up and before you know it, you're now in the middle of a valley. There are many rock outcroppings in the area which you can hide behind and empty land elsewhere. Reissant and Vitreloy find themselves on top of a very tall outcropping while the others stand in the center.

"Now then, let's begin!"

What do you do?

When sparring in the Danger Room, roll + Danger. On a 10+, pick three. on a 7-9, pick two.

- You don't unintentionally hurt your sparring partner
- You take something from them
- You make your opponent look bad: they mark a condition
- You impress, surprise or frighten your opponent and onlookers
- You create a learning/bonding opportunity

Ghost, Feijiang and The Tuneller

The observation room is similar in aesthetic to the briefing room, only with stronger leanings towards the technological side rather than the natural side. The walls are adorned with all manner of machinery and electrical technology, some of which you have never seen before. It's situated towards the top of the danger room, allowing a top-down view of the entire area through a gigantic window the size of the wall. As you take your seats in the comfortable cushions and beanbags, Gareth moves over towards the console and begins typing commands into it.

"I believe this shall suffice." He says into the microphone, activating the danger room programs before turning to the rest of the group. Ophelia and Siegfried jump happily onto a beanbag, adjusting themselves a bit before turning to the window. From those outside, the window will have simply disappeared. The others in the observation room can still see the match happen.

"So, who do you think is going to win?" Ophelia asks the group, getting a bit excited by all the events. "I mean, Spark has so much power behind her, but Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith outnumber her. It should be a really good match."

Gareth runs his hand through his hair as he joins the group, sitting in one of the sofas.

"We never had a chance to talk about how you feel about last mission. If there was a time for discussion, now would be a good time to do so."

What do you do?

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 8, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Wow!" I couldn't help but let out a gasp of excitement. I've been through a lot of rooms here in our base, but this is the first time I've ever been in the observation room. There are so many things! Mechanical things! I have no idea what any of them do, but they look so cool! There's this big super computer thing, I think, with a bunch of buttons and levers, and I just want to press all of them just to see what would happen!

No! I can't! I'm not some kind of air-headed schoolgirl, I'm Pepper Pickerbee, Ghost! Daughter of The Guiding Bell! I'm a hero, and I need to compose myself, like a real hero would!

...That button is really large though...

I see Gareth press a bunch of buttons, and I watched in awe as the room below us changed. I've read of rooms like this, places that can shift their very structure to emulate certain environments, but seeing it actually happen, seeing it actually change, in front of my own eyes, it's almost unbelievable. Unbelievably COOL!

A thought crept up in my mind, and a small, mischievous grin appears on my face. Gareth would probably not approve of what I was planning to do, but heck to that! I run to the window, and phase my head right through. Wow! It looks like my head is floating in thin air, like a real ghost!

"Hey guys!" I yell to the people below. I wave at all of them, "Good luck! Don't hurt yourselves too bad, okay?"

I phase back in, and jump to the beanbag nearest to Ms. Caldwell.

"So, who do you think is going to win?"

"Um," I put a finger to my chin, and take a moment to think, "I guess... we do? Like, if they get out all their pent up emotions, it'll make our team stronger, maybe? So we all... win?"

Wow, great going, Pepper. Just give the lamest possible answer to the hero you look up to the most.

"We never had a chance to talk about how you feel about last mission. If there was a time for discussion, now would be a good time to do so."

A... discussion? "Oh, yea, I guess we should talk about that, shouldn't we?" I was hoping to avoid this. The last thing I wanted to right now was to talk about what happened, but I guess we have to. I need to be careful about my words, especially around Gareth, the last thing I need is to make us sound like bigger screw-ups.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Piercing Gareth's mask
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+3 = 12

• what are you really planning?
• what do you want me to do?
• what do you intend to do?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 8, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Clatterclaw paced back and forth calmly in the arena, never taking her eyes off her opponent, claws clacking menacingly against the ground, but she made no attempt at closing in yet. Instead, she and Miss Wra- wait. Where was Miss Wraith anyway?

_________

Beneath the arena, amongst the sigils and electronics required to actually run the giant edifice, Miss Wraith was hard at work trying to figure out which parts to deactivate to give them a temporary advantage here.

Too bad that, whilst she was accomplished in magic, she was not in fact an engineer. With a shrug she zapped all of them with spectral lightning, causing a magitechincal short-circuit that cast the entire danger room in darkness as the lights gave out. Well, the danger room and the rest of the base too. Again, Miss Wraith was not an engineer.

_________

The darkness that now engulfed the danger room was near total, the only lightsource, as it happens, being Spark and her flames, litting her up like a beacon in the otherwise dark space.

It did not, of course, take long for Clatterclaw to capitalize on this opportunity. Very soon after the lights failed, she pierced the veil of blackness on Spark's right side and sent the girl crashing into a rock formation with a well placed kick, her form being once again hidden in the shadows as the distance between them grew, a reflection from her claws being the last thing that could be seen before she was engulfed once again.

"You are powerful", a voice comes from somewhere, "But dangerous. Prone to unfettered shows of power."

"You are blind now. Would you dare unlesh your might when you cannot even see? Consider everyone you could hurt if you did that."

"Only if you focus can you prevail here."

"..."

"You are more than a hammer, Spark. I believe in you."

quote:

Theantero: Directly Engaging Spark
Theantero: !r 2d6
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9 = 9
Changed into a Spar roll after it was conceived

Selfishly using our last point of Team (by causing a blackout in the base for personal tactical advantage) to shift Danger up and Savior down, making that roll a 10.

Picking:
- You take something from them (Their ability to see me)
- You impress, surprise or frighten your opponent and onlookers
- You create a learning/bonding opportunity

Theantero fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 8, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Feijiang puts her finger on her chin, thoughtfully. "I think the winner will be..."

She looks up towards the ceiling and concentrates. And the longer she thinks, the more she seems to lose herself in thought. If you watch her closely, you can almost even see the gears turning in her head.

Until the lights go out.

"OH!" Feijiang leaps over to the window and presses her face against the glass like a child. "So is THAT how they're going to play it?!"

"HA!" Feijiang bangs her fist against the window. "Darkness is no shield against the light! Come on, Spark! I know you can do this!"

She seems to have not noticed the call for a group discussion. Or it might be more likely that she's pretending to not notice.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Potential: 0/5 Conditions: Guilty,

Wow, this is so lifelike. I could almost believe I was stood in the real canyon. It even smells right and the sun feels real. It's beautiful. And it's almost like I'm really there. I could stand and watch the scenery all day. But I should be watching clatterclaw I can see her circling warily

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hesitant at first I didn't want to reach too deeply to pull for the flame and risk a repeat of what happened last time. Still perhaps I could play it cool and just sort of skim a little of the flame in order to spar with. I shouldn't need my full power anyway for a friendly fight like this. But while I was watching Clatterclaw I should have been wondering what Miss Wraith was up to. Stupid. I need to have better situational awareness than that. And the the arena went dark. And Clatterclaw came charging out of nowhere to hit me. I couldn't see where she'd come from but she hit hard. And then Miss Wraith started to taunt? me. A bit of psychological warfare I suppose you'd call it. But what she didn't realise was that she couldn't say anything about me that I hadn't already said about myself.

17:56] Ferrosol taking a powerful blow
[17:56] Ferrosol !r 2d6+1
[17:57] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 3+1 = 4

Still this was clearly a battle of wits as much as it was a battle of strength and they'd already rigged the battlefield to favour them. "Clever, I can't see you now and it's 2 vs 1. But I'm more than just a hammer. Rest assured about that." I needed to get rid of this darkness and quickly. I was blind in the dark and they weren't unless... Wait a minute. I have an idea! I closed my eyes and channelled a ball of flame. Although I tried to tune this one more for light than heat. It wasn't meant to burn my opponents. So much as light up the darkness. Have you ever gone from a brightly lit room to a dark one? Your eyes take time to adjust right? I was hoping it would work here....

[17:46] Ferrosol sparring
[17:46] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[17:46] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 12+2 = 14
[17:46] Ferrosol drat
[17:46] Ferrosol rip clatterclaw
Not intentionally hurting them. Taking their eyesight, and Impressing or Surprising them.

Even with my eyes closed I could still see the sudden flash of light. It must have been so much worse for both of them as they didn't have any warning....

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 8, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Potential: 1/5 Conditions: Afraid

Spade raises his clawed hand, about to ask something to Mr. Gareth, when the lights go out.

The little light provided by Spark's flames doesn't illuminate much of the Observation Area, so he starts fiddling with his belt. "Uh, wait a second, I should have... here!"
A faint red light starts illuminating the place. Tunneler is holding what looks a crystal that keeps becoming brighter and brighter. "Torchrock." he says. "The light can be regulated so you don't get blinded when you get out in the sun." Once the rock is bright enough for his tastes, he taps it once with his claw and the light stops intensifying. He advances towards Feijiang to get a better view.
"I am not a knower of that, Feijiang. Clatterclaws and Miss Wraith are cleverer than you'd expect. Already they have put Spark at a disad-"

A blinding flash of light devours the Danger Zone proper. If it wasn't for the protective screen and his own darkening googles, Spark would be completely dazed and blinded. As it stands, he still needs to look away.
"...well, well. I guess we'll be seers of it. What's Vitreloy doing?"

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 2/5. Conditions: Afraid

The entire room changes and I'm lost in awe for a second.
This place is amazing, who knew we could design landscapes like this.

I look to the combatants.
Without looking at her, I speak quietly to Ressiant, knowing I probably won't get a response. She''l be busy reading the field.
"I was tempted to ask if I could join Spark, two versus two, make it more of a fair fight. But it's not my fight. I just want to make sure if things go badly, from either opponent, I'm on hand. Not that I don't think you could take down the whole team if you felt like it, Ressiant. I'll only get involved if you ask me to, if something dangerous happens."

I look back to the battleground and notice that Miss Wraith has disappeared. I unhook a tube and let my metal pour out again.
I don't plan on using it but if things go south, it's good to know i'm ready.

Suddenly the lights go out. My cybernectic eye glows red in the dark, and I can make out some shapes here and there, but it's difficult to tell what is my team and what is a pretend rock formation.
I weigh my options and think it's going to be worth while using the vitreloy to adapt my eyesight, improve it for the darkness, but just as I am about to give the command, light shoots out from Spark. and I shield my eyes.

This is going to be an interesting fight.

"Adapt." I whisper.
I could feel the lights weren't just off here but everywhere. How much damage had occured to the electrical systems with that blow out?
I'd have to check. I sent the vitreloy off to find the main power outputs, check everything was ok, that our secrutiy systems and you know, the system that keeps up from falling to the ground! - were still in working order, and maybe turn the power to the lights back on to the base.
But not here, in the danger room, of course, that would interfere with the fight.

Unleash your powers 2d6+3
turn the lights back on in the base: 2d6+3 8
I take afraid to stop the move from being unstable or temporary, since Vitreloy is scared the base is compromised.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 9, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith, Spark and Vitreloy

Reissant doesn't seem to even recognise the loss in power as her visor suddenly lights up, creating an overlay in front of her face.

"Ideally, you won't need to," Reissant responds curtly. Her eyes quickly scan around the battlefield, never seeming to miss a beat. She didn't even flinch as Spark crashed into the wall. It's safe to say that her mind is focused on the battle. The lights turn on and the overlay immediately vanishes.

"Nice job," she comments. Seems like business as usual.

What do you do?

Ghost, Feijiang and The Tuneller

"Oi, who turned out the lights!" You hear Siegfried call out. Ophelia chuckles to herself while Garret could be heard sighing to himself.

"They'd better be able to turn the power back on," Gareth commented dryly. He looks appreciative of the Tunneler's technology. Illuminated in the light, he turned towards Ghost.

"Yes. We should. I say this not because I want to be mean or harsh, but because the only way that your team will learn is if we do analyse what mistakes were made and see how we can learn from that." He puts his hand through his hair as Ophelia joins the conversation.

"Hey, I know it's hard, but it's a part of being a hero sadly." She comments, her eyes quickly drifting back to the window. "Man, I wish they didn't turn off the lights. I was really looking forward to seeing the two of them fight."

Almost as soon as she said that, all the lights suddenly come back into the room. Due to the Tunneler's torchrock, it took no time for any of them to adjust to the light. Gareth looked between the three before speaking.

"So, to get the conversation started, who do you think from your team is most at fault for the previous mission ending the way that it did?"

Ophelia let out a slight gasp in the background, her eyes widening slightly in surprise. Almost immediately Siegfried piped in.

"Hey, hey, that's a bit of a harsh question to ask the children!"

quote:

What are you really planning?

Gareth is planning on getting the team to stick together no matter what. He's almost doggedly determined to drag the team through their problems and solve them so that they are able to work effectively together as a unit. From there, he'd want to work on improving the team's image so that he has a lot less work to do with regards to trying to maintain a positive image for the team.

quote:

What do you want me to do?

Gareth wants you to lead the discussion about the previous mission and work with him to improve team unity. He sees you as one of the most reliable members of the team and recognises the influence you have over the rest of them. He's hoping that if you step into the role of leader, the others will follow eagerly behind you.

quote:

What do you intend to do?

While he seems harsh, he's trying to give you a little tough love to nudge you in the right direction. He wants the team to work out and tackle tough questions that need to be asked. He's going to continue to ask questions and facilitate discussion to try and find what he determines is the root of the problem and go from there.

What do you do?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ugh, of course he'd ask that. I could be watching the cool sparring match between my friends, but no, I had to be the one to answer the hard questions, aren't I? These are just the perks of being a leader, I guess. Gosh, couldn't he of started with an easier topic, like, "Boy, it's good thing nobody died, huh?" How do I even answer that?

"Hey, hey, that's a bit of a harsh question to ask the children!"

"Children?" Really? I'm 17! That makes me almost an adult, and I can fight my own battles, thank you very much!

"It's- it's fine," I say to Siegfried, while trying to hide how tired I look, "If I can't answer a simple question like that, then what hope do I have of being a hero, right?"

"Simple" question, yea right. I need to think carefully about this, the last thing I want to do is throw one of them under the bus. Let's see, the easiest one to blame would be Spark, but is it really her fault? What about Rachel? No, Rachel didn't do anything wrong, she did go berserk but considering what happened, I don't blame her. Feijiang? Hah, no, she didn't listen to any of my orders, but her actions helped more than they hindered. Spade didn't listen much either, but him ignoring me led to us saving more lives when he dug that hole with Spark. Will? No, Will was the most heroic one of us all that whole time. The only one I can think of is..

...Oh.

"The one to blame is," I hesitate a little before I could answer, "Is me. I know, as a team, we should all share the blame together, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I was the one at fault. I'm their leader, and I realized that I should've been more aware of their powers, and their strength and weaknesses, but I didn't, and it was that carelessness that caused things to spiral out of control." I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves, and continued, "I can blame Spark, but I won't. Her power is too great, and it can consume her when she uses too much of it, and I should've known that before the mission. If I was more aware about what would happen, I would have asked her to try and limit her power, and only unleash it as a last resort."

I paused as I remembered Ms. Caldwell's words, "Stand behind your decisions and if necessary, be there on the front lines."

"Also, I panicked. I made decisions and orders I wasn't even sure were right. The team needed someone to guide them, to bring them together, and I couldn't do that. Most of them didn't even follow my orders, and I don't blame them. I was inexperienced, and it shows. I thought I was prepared, but I wasn't. When we arrived, I was too cautious, I was asking my team to wait instead of acting while people were in danger," I pause to glance at Feijiang for a moment, "I should have taken the initiative instead of fumbling orders."

"It might sound like I'm trying to shift the blame from them onto me, but I'm not. Everybody has done the best they can do, and the only reason it got this bad is because of my inexperience. Remember Jessica? I promised Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith I would take care of her, but I didn't. I was careless, and it was my carelessness that caused her to get hurt, and now a member of my team is blaming themselves for my mistake. A leader is supposed to be confident, and share that confidence to others, they should stay calm under pressure, no matter how bad things look. A leader is supposed to bring the group together, not apart, so yes, to answer your question," I lift my face up, and looked at Gareth, dead in the eyes, "It's me. I was the one that was most at fault."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 11, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Hopeless

Skittering could be heard in the shadows as the temporarily blinded Clatterclaw was forced to relocate. It's not like she could engage while dazed like that.

Of course, that still left somebody else.

With a graceful glide, Miss Wraith emerged from the floor behind Spark.

"That was pretty good. But you can't win with mere defensive maneuvers." She conjures a number of ghostly ropes and chains around Spark, holding her on place. "Can you actually engage? After all, it taWAAUGH!" Miss Wraith backs away with a little shriek as her binds catch into flames. Apparently the spiritual energies did not take too well to being attached to a conduit to the elemental plane of fire itself.

She looks on a bit, her composure lost for a moment, before she shoots inside one of the stony outcroppings.

"Anyway", her voice wavered a bit, but was still clearly trying to remain calm despite a wounded pride. "How will you engage a foe that hides where you cannot strike? When your usual strategies fail you? Hm?"

quote:

Theantero: Miss Wraith is Sparring with Spark
Theantero: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 4+1 = 5

Well at least I get some sweet Potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

When the group talk actually starts, Feijiang turns her back towards the group and stares firmly out the window. The longer it goes, the more she seems to tense up and the more her previous excitement seems to melt away. It's obvious from just looking at her that this is a discussion she didn't want to have. She stays like this for almost the entire time Ghost is talking. But by the time Ghost finishes, something seems to have boiled over in Feijiang. "Grrrrrrrrr... NO!"

Feijiang slams the wall with her fist, then turns around. There's an awfully messy snarl on her face, a look of anger and... something else. Nervousness? Her face seems to be turning a shade of pale, rather than a shade of red. "Don't. say that!"

"I don't want to hear it!" Feijiang looks right at Ghost for a second, then looks away. "You think it's that simple?! That you just weren't 'prepared' enough to control us?! Do you think any of that excuses how we acted back there?! I mean, that's- that's-!"

Pretty much what Feijiang was thinking when this all started. The very thought of which is making her stomach turn right now.

"THAT'S A LOAD OF CRAP!" Feijiang shakes. "IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! NONE OF THAT MATTERS! HOW COULD YOU BE EXPECTED TO HAVE CONTROL IF WE WERE ALL JUST ACTING LIKE THAT!"

Feijiang turns away and covers her face with her hands. By now, her face has turned completely red, and... is she crying? "We didn't follow your orders because we didn't want to follow your orders! Nothing you could have done would have changed that!"

"If you want someone to blame, it's-" Feijiang stops and hesitates. She pulls her hands down so they're only covering her cheeks, and looks out into the danger room. Her eyes are red. "It's-"

Feijiang puts her hands back over her entire face. "It's me! You could blame it on Spark but that'd just be another excuse."

She leans against a wall, and turns her back towards the rest of the group again. "I mean, who set up this team division in the first place? Who was the only one to not vote for Ghost? Who made up the idea that a leader has to be perfectly strong, perfect, and powerful, anyway? And who was the first one not to listen to orders? You wanna talk about disunity? I'm the champion of disunity! The only time I've ever worked well as part of a team was when my father was still brainwashing me. And then I betrayed him anyway."

Takanago fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 11, 2016

• Locked thread