Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I mean, I haven't seen the entire episode yet, but Christian forensic lady is going to end up in Lucifer's bed isn't she

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

adhuin posted:

Yeah. That version of All along the watchtowers was really nice.

It was great. His voice is just different for that song and sounds great to me.

Solid start episode to the season.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I've missed this show. I'm looking forward to seeing how the balance of procedural and serial work out this time, and to how far they go with the supernatural.

tarlibone posted:

And even on principal, when asked a hypothetical question about what she'd do if she could prove God exists, she's like, "what's the point? Then, we wouldn't need faith." I'm fairly confident that no real-world Christian would immediately come to that conclusion.

FWIW I've heard something along these lines many times. Remember, she doesn't know that it's not a purely hypothetical question.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Remember, she doesn't know that it's not a purely hypothetical question.

I know. That's why I said she was asked a hypothetical question--from her (the CSI: Satan lady) perspective, it was a purely hypothetical question. She has no reason to believe it's anything but hypothetical.

What I want to know is, why can't they just miracle-zap that blood so it looks like ordinary human blood? You telling me that Gosh can't just wink His eye and twiddle his nose or something, and that blood comes up all normal on the tests?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, considering you apparently need a body to jump into when you leave hell (or heaven too, maybe), maybe it will just come up as human blood since the guy Lucifer hopped into was human.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, considering you apparently need a body to jump into when you leave hell (or heaven too, maybe), maybe it will just come up as human blood since the guy Lucifer hopped into was human.

Amenadiel seems pretty worried about the blood, though. I think the divine and demonic can just transubstantiate or whatever.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm only halfway through the episode, but they have said Lucifers mom doesnt have a body, but she isnt an angel or demon. I dont think they've said that Lucifer took a human body. In fact, that wouldnt make a lot of sense because of him having to cut off his wings/having the scars from the wings.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, the more I thought about that after hitting reply, the more I realized I was off.

I think Mom needed a body because she's literally a cosmic god like being, and doesn't HAVE a physical presence. Lucifer and Amenadiel are both rocking the bodies God gave em, same as I'd imagine with Maze.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That All Along the Watchtower thing was the most obnoxious troll :haw:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Loving everything so far, except for the bullshit two week wait for the next episode. :twisted:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

tarlibone posted:

I know. That's why I said she was asked a hypothetical question--from her (the CSI: Satan lady) perspective, it was a purely hypothetical question. She has no reason to believe it's anything but hypothetical.

Which means that the way she answered it made sense. Have you really never heard any of "the point of faith is faith" style rhetoric?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rappaport posted:

That All Along the Watchtower thing was the most obnoxious troll :haw:

Honestly his overenunciated singing is one of my favourite things in the show. I laughed for probably about 15 straight minutes at his version of "Sinnerman". If they released a "Tom Ellis Overpronounces the hits" album I would buy it day one, no questions asked.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Which means that the way she answered it made sense. Have you really never heard any of "the point of faith is faith" style rhetoric?

Of course I have. But the answer to a direct question like "what if you could prove definitively that there really is a God and a Jesus and a Devil and all that?" is almost always "yes." If you ask about faith and proof, you get the "faith is the proof of things not seen" routine. When you directly ask about whether or not you'd actually prove God's existence if you could by some tangible means--something that scientists would have to acknowledge, for example--then the answer I usually hear is yes. Hell, in my youth, I've heard more preachers and Christian debaters actually claim that they can prove, definitively, that God is real.

Of course, much of their proof relies on the Bible, stories from the Bible, or things they consider to be miracles... but they offer this as concrete proof that only a contrarian could possibly deny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I've only ever heard it from characters in positions like this though. I've never heard a real Christian say anything like that. It's like the tiredest cliche.

It's nit a big deal though I used to it. I was really hoping she'd say "of course I'd test the ultimate hypothesis! I'm a scientist!"

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I didn't mind her response. Faith is a pretty big deal when it comes to God and the Bible. If God were real, he could come down and prove it at anytime. But he wants people to believe without seeing. To believe when it's not safe. That's not an uncommon Christian attitude.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Snak posted:

I've only ever heard it from characters in positions like this though. I've never heard a real Christian say anything like that. It's like the tiredest cliche.

It's nit a big deal though I used to it. I was really hoping she'd say "of course I'd test the ultimate hypothesis! I'm a scientist!"

Maybe it's that most of the devout Christians I'm friends with are fairly liberal and come from the same Christian college where they did theological philosophy, but I've heard plenty of stuff along those lines.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Honestly his overenunciated singing is one of my favourite things in the show. I laughed for probably about 15 straight minutes at his version of "Sinnerman". If they released a "Tom Ellis Overpronounces the hits" album I would buy it day one, no questions asked.

Oh god, me too. Sing to me, sweet Satan!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
My mom is a rather devout christian and shes said that to me :shrug:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Astrofig posted:

Sing to me, sweet Satan!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

My mom is a rather devout christian and shes said that to me :shrug:

You are in a weird place with your family, but now I want you to sing to me. :allears:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
TIL most Christians don't want to meet Jesus in case he doesn't live up to their expectations. I know that's not what they said, but it's pretty much equivalent. If you would rather continue to believe in God without proof than have Him make His divine presence known to you, I don't know how else you could interpret it.

My biggest complaint about this episode was the lack of the best character: Trixie.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Chasiubao posted:

I mean, I haven't seen the entire episode yet, but Christian forensic lady is going to end up in Lucifer's bed isn't she

She's so going to bone Lucifer and figure out he's the real devil because unlike Chole she's not an idiot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

My biggest complaint about this episode was the lack of the best character: Trixie.

If IMDB is accurate she should show up next episode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tarlibone posted:

Of course I have. But the answer to a direct question like "what if you could prove definitively that there really is a God and a Jesus and a Devil and all that?" is almost always "yes." If you ask about faith and proof, you get the "faith is the proof of things not seen" routine. When you directly ask about whether or not you'd actually prove God's existence if you could by some tangible means--something that scientists would have to acknowledge, for example--then the answer I usually hear is yes. Hell, in my youth, I've heard more preachers and Christian debaters actually claim that they can prove, definitively, that God is real.

Of course, much of their proof relies on the Bible, stories from the Bible, or things they consider to be miracles... but they offer this as concrete proof that only a contrarian could possibly deny.

Chloe is already our Doubting Thomas.

CSI's position is perfectly fine. The relationship between evidence and faith is foundational in Christianity and, while not super common today, rejecting evidence in favor of faith is an old theological thought. Her aunt being a nun helps that along since she can get a "wacky" perspective tying into older versions of the faith that are uncommon today.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's fine, it's just boring because it's like, the single most common statement made about religion in pop-culture.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Okay, slapping at his hands to stop him from praying is already pretty hilarious.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
That was a cart full of cheese, wasn't it.

This show.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

This show really is at its best when it just has fun with the sheer goofiness of its premise. Kind of loved the smug "I win this round!" look up at the angry sky to end the episode, too.

I wonder though: What's up with Amanadiel's wings rotting? A lasting effect from being shanked by a demon's talon-knife thing?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I just finished this week's episode.

Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Win me back Fox. Win me back.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Zebulon posted:

This show really is at its best when it just has fun with the sheer goofiness of its premise. Kind of loved the smug "I win this round!" look up at the angry sky to end the episode, too.

I wonder though: What's up with Amanadiel's wings rotting? A lasting effect from being shanked by a demon's talon-knife thing?

Probably more due to his actions and conduct than anything.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Eddain posted:

You're much to smart to be posting on this site.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Eddain posted:

Should have used protection when he was boinking Maze. Probably some weird demonic STI :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Tricia Helfer has still got it, though it's sad that everything she's done since BSG has gotten cancelled or not ordered to a full series (Ascension). I always thought she would have been a better Cersei than Headey since they were both up for the part.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Eddain posted:

A very good point. They made such a huge deal about the demon daggers before that they came to mind at first when they showed the rotting wings.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Man this show is so bad. I don't know why I look forward to it every week, but I do.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Party Plane Jones posted:

Tricia Helfer has still got it, though it's sad that everything she's done since BSG has gotten cancelled or not ordered to a full series (Ascension). I always thought she would have been a better Cersei than Headey since they were both up for the part.

42, such a babe.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I love how excited Lucifer always gets at discovering cocaine.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Astrofig posted:

I love how excited Lucifer always gets at discovering cocaine.

Similarly, "mum"'s first sip of whiskey seemed to delight her in all the right places. This season is starting out fantastic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This was a surprisingly good episode given how badly it started. That stuff with Lucifer being all embarrassed about seeing his mother's borrowed human body naked was really dumb.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Apparently he ad libbed the whole "stealing a brick of coke" part :haw:

Personally I loved the episode. Next weeks look a little bit weird though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm just glad that all of the obvious ways that Amenadiel was being even worse than Lucifer in the first season has come back to bite him. I was afraid they wouldn't address his "sins". Lucifer is behaving exactly as God expects, but Amenadiel is supposed to be better than that. He was lying, cheating, manipulating, and eventually loving a demon. Now he must atone. The first step was apologizing to Lucifer's therapist. Also, really glad to see his character come to understand Lucifer better and grudgingly accept him as he is, especially when they were hunting down mom.

The only character who doesn't evolve is Lucifer and that's part of his charm. Even Maze is growing as a person / demon.

Also, Mom seems to have "subtle" down whereas her son, Lucifer is all about being blatant. I still do not trust her or anything she says.

Edit: I was so in to the episode and enjoying it then I was totally shocked when Chloe was on the screen interrogating her daughter. I realized that the show would be just fine without Chloe. The adventures of Lucifer and Amenadiel would be fine.

• Locked thread