Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BraveUlysses posted:

Thai style pizza. leftover pork satay, peanut sauce, carrots and cilantro

That looks good, I'm going to steal this idea at some point, though I think I'll add onions and pickled chilis, like a banh mi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
goddamn I want that duck egg pizza

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I've only used a pizza stone 2-3 times now but so far I find the cheese starts to turn brown/hard before the dough turns a golden brown on the bottom, is that normal?

For reference, I put the empty stone in the oven to preheat up to 450F then remove once preheated, slide the prepared pizza onto the stone and put in the oven for around 18-20 minutes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the stone is not 450 when the oven hits 450. More preheat time and you can also preheat to 500 or 550 and drop the temp once you put the pizza on. You can also use the broiler to get the stone surface to > preheat temps. Lower the shelf so there's less radiating heat from the top of the oven. Need more details otherwise, I'd only be using your time and temp for a pan pizza (cold cast iron with oil on the bottom placed on hot stone) and even then hotter is imo better.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 16, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Preheat for at least an hour and don't remove the stone from the oven, slide the rack out and place the pizza on it.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Do you recommend I drop the temp once the stone is fully preheated or leave on 550F to cook the homemade pizza? 550F is the maximum my oven will go.

I put a little flour on the pizza stone so the pizza dough doesn't stick to it and the stone goes on the bottom shelf.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

550 for stone imo. If you do that make your next one with a middle shelf and adjust as needed. Mine is on the top but I have a steel

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

whatupdet posted:

Do you recommend I drop the temp once the stone is fully preheated or leave on 550F to cook the homemade pizza? 550F is the maximum my oven will go.

I put a little flour on the pizza stone so the pizza dough doesn't stick to it and the stone goes on the bottom shelf.

imo you shouldnt need any flour on the stone, and try to leave the stone in the middle or upper areas of the oven.

and you can experiment with temps, generally hotter is better but i've used 500 and 525 extensively and stick with 525.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

I'm horrible at pizza but now I've got a dream. A mobile pizza wagon with two different kinds of draft beer..

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Made this a few nights ago. Mozzarella and Monterey Jack with pepperoni. Simple but great. This pepperoni burns really easily when it's exposed, adds a nice flavor.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

imo you shouldnt need any flour on the stone, and try to leave the stone in the middle or upper areas of the oven.

and you can experiment with temps, generally hotter is better but i've used 500 and 525 extensively and stick with 525.

I was worried to try it that high because on the Paderno pizza stone box it says 375-450F but I put the oven on 500F and let the stone preheat longer than usual and it did a good job on the crust plus I didn't have to cook it as long, might have been 10-12 minutes but I wasn't timing. I'll try 525F next time and make sure it's in the middle/middle-top in the oven, the oven is small and I think there's only 4 rack settings to choose from.

Thanks for the all the advice folks.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Going back to cheesechat ages ago, look into making your own mozzarella. Buying milk straight from a producer can work out a lot cheaper, plus actually making mutz takes more time than actual effort or skill. A fresh mutz from even average milk will blow your mind.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
garlic emulsion, white cheddar, spanish chorizo, poblano, leek, spicy honey

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I've been making a lot of pan pizzas lately. 24 hour no knead ferment at room temperature, then a 48 hour cold ferment of the shaped dough. Here's one with radishes, leeks, and cherry tomatoes.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

door Door door posted:

I've been making a lot of pan pizzas lately. 24 hour no knead ferment at room temperature, then a 48 hour cold ferment of the shaped dough. Here's one with radishes, leeks, and cherry tomatoes.

I was just going to post how I should make a sourdough pan pizza. I haven't found any recipes online that seem to work very well. I want to avoid using yeast. My last three experiments didn't give me great results.

Could you please post your recipe? That looks really nice. And do you have a picture of the inside of the crust?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

never happy posted:

I was just going to post how I should make a sourdough pan pizza. I haven't found any recipes online that seem to work very well. I want to avoid using yeast. My last three experiments didn't give me great results.

Could you please post your recipe? That looks really nice. And do you have a picture of the inside of the crust?

That's actually just Kenji's pan pizza dough recipe, which uses instant yeast. Crust was a little dense, but I used AP flour since I was out of bread. I have another batch of dough sitting in the fridge that's half AP and half bread; I'll post a picture of the crust when I bake it.

Whenever I get around to doing the math to convert this recipe to sourdough I'll give it an attempt and post my results/recipe.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
wow I'm an idiot. I'm going to try and use bread flour next. I've been following his recipe as well, but just been using AP.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What cheese does everyone use for a NY style pie? The fresh buffalo mozz (that has to be drained) is good for a Neapolitan style but I've never gotten anything I like for NY style. Specific brands/styles/percentages or whatever is welcome :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

What cheese does everyone use for a NY style pie? The fresh buffalo mozz (that has to be drained) is good for a Neapolitan style but I've never gotten anything I like for NY style. Specific brands/styles/percentages or whatever is welcome :)

Whole milk low moisture mozz is what you need. I use Boar's Head because that's the only kind I can easily get around here, but I started using it after reading that the whole milk part is whats important for new york style pies. It melts better (stringier or something?) than skim based mozz.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Whole milk low moisture mozz is what you need. I use Boar's Head because that's the only kind I can easily get around here, but I started using it after reading that the whole milk part is whats important for new york style pies. It melts better (stringier or something?) than skim based mozz.

Yep, get a brick of it and I slice it so it looks like half a slice of American cheese from the deli if that makes sense. Either way will work, but the way I do it is easier since you have a larger piece to hold onto as you cut it. I learned that from the pizzamaking.com forums and it's really helped.

I can't help on brands, as I'm still experimenting and don't have a favorite, but definitely whole milk low moisture.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Where do you find these large bricks of whole milk?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

Where do you find these large bricks of whole milk?

I get it at the deli counter at my grocery store of choice (Harris Teeter)

It frequently takes some time to convince them I don't want it sliced.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've seen small 16 oz blocks for sale at most grocery stores.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
when do i crack eggs onto my pizza if I can only get 525 degrees, and run the broiler for last minute or two

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I really like Polly-O for mozz blocks. Trader Joe's store brand is pretty decent as well. The whole milk part is key- melts better and tastes better than the skim.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'm making a barbeque chicken pizza at home sometime soon. Are there any mandatory must-have options for toppings aside from red onion and cheddar?

I have some spicy cased sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms to work with here.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

TheParadigm posted:

I'm making a barbeque chicken pizza at home sometime soon. Are there any mandatory must-have options for toppings aside from red onion and cheddar?

I have some spicy cased sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms to work with here.

I love pickled banana peppers with BBQ chicken, the sourness is good contrast against the sweet sauce

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Whole milk low moisture mozz

Holy poo poo, this is an epiphany. Somehow incredibly better than skim.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Cross-posting from the cooked last night thread. 14" pan pizza, messing around with my 50mm lens.

Crumb shot:

Bottom:

Could have used more grease on the bottom to really give that finger-lickin' goodness, but it was drat tasty.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Corn.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Does anyone have a Chicago deep dish recipe they've liked?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Been a long time without a post, but plenty of pizza making!

I got the new Saputo tiles in, and...

Overall I am very happy with them, but they churn out very different results. Much more traditional Neapolitan, instead of the Neo-Neapolitan I had been making. I've been getting up over 1000f and getting great, if wildly different to what I am used to, results.

The crust is much softer, with very little crackle, but an amazing mixture of chewy and soft. The bottoms are not nearly as crisp, but they somehow still hold up pretty well on picking up. There's a very distinct smokey char flavor that permeates the whole pie, which is loving excellent. I am getting way better top browning since you have to keep an active fire to get up that high in temp at the floor. It was tricky to have good top flames, but still keep floor temps under 825 on the old tiles.

With less time in there, you get less evaporation of whatever sauce you are using, so lower the amount of sauce/tomato, otherwise you'll end up with a pie that is too soupy.

I think that there are pies that I would prefer on the old floor, and pies I prefer on the new one. Pretty much anything with charcuterie that isn't precooked came out a little better at the old temps, since it had time for the meats to render and crisp up. At 1000+, my calabreses and pepperonis get hot, and have a tiny thin line of black around the edges, but the rest is soft. Most everything else though, I think I solidly prefer the higher temps.

Enough talk. Let's get some pizza pics!

My first Marg on the new tiles. Was a baby and only took it up to 880 to be "safe". Ended up with kind of the worst of both worlds somehow. Was not bad, but I didn't get either of the distinctions that make the two types shine. Every pizza post after this is 950+

Bacon (precooked), buttermilk blue cheese, provolone, caramelized onion jam, honey, shaved bosc pears. Good, but actually TOO much flavor punching you in the face. I need to either eliminate one/two ingredients, or add arugula to the top to mellow it out and add freshness.

Pesto, mozz, sauteed garlic mushrooms. loving awesome. Only change I would make is to lower the parm in the pesto, and shave some fresh over the top for serving. Plenty of parm flavor throughout, just not a good salty punch like I wanted. Crust was pretty much my platonic ideal.

Homemade merguez sausage (amazingly good), whole milk ricotta, mushrooms. Pretty good, but definitely a little flat on the flavor (fixed in later iteration with lemon infused olive oli). The mushrooms also desperately needed to be precooked. With less than a minute of cooking time, the tops were dry, and the bottoms were raw.

My first 1000+ Marg. Went a liiiiitttlllee underdone due to being nervous about ruining it. This was in the oven for only 45 seconds.

Time warping pizza

Maybe my best Marg ever? right at 1025f on the floor when this went in. One small, slightly thin spot on the bottom due to poor opening on my part.

Easily the best Marinara I have ever made or had anywhere. Went in while my thermometer read "OH", which means it capped out at over 1050f. Was in there for about 43 seconds, and was goddamn amazing. The smokiness was powerful, the olive oil was unctuous, the garlic was sharp but not overpowering, the tomato was bright and fresh. Crust was stellar. loving ugh. Just goddamn awesome.

Provolone, chunks of peppered goat cheese, peppered bacon, garlic mushrooms, arugula dressed heavily with lemon-infused olive oil. Really good. 7.5/10, would make again.

Another better looking round of the same.

Good but not great Marg. Opened too soon after balling and went in too cold. Too hard to stretch out to thin enough, and going in cold causes bigger leopard spots with white dough in between. Still ate the hell out of it.

This fuckin' pizza. This was a birthday request from my girlfriend, otherwise I would have never have defiled the purity of the great creation of GLORIOUS NAPOLI. She wanted the ultimate trendy foodie hipster pizza. Modernist mac and cheese, extra saucy as the base, bacon, avocado, fried eggs, sriracha. Disgusting. gently caress this was good, and I am ashamed

And finally, a Marg for those of you with children that you need to teach about female anatomy. This is what happens when you are pulling buffalo mozz apart over the pizza, and a solitary drop of brine hits the edge of the pizza and rolls down, causing the dough to stick to the peel.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 30, 2016

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

:flashfap: holy gently caress :flashfap:

give me ALL OF THAT, I am truly jealous of your amazing pizza oven and those fine pies you've made

I think you nailed it

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

I love pickled banana peppers with BBQ chicken, the sourness is good contrast against the sweet sauce

I didn't have access to either of these things, but I'll see if I can't find some banana pepper next time!

I threw the album up Here. Thin crust, barbeque sauce, cheddar and mozzarella with a tiny bit of parmesan at the end. Chicken thighs, onions and mushrooms, some spare turkey pepperoni, spicy italian sausage. Crust didnt turn out as crisp as I wanted it, so it ended up slightly scorched but still tasty.

Took me like 3 days to eat it.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Whoever was asking for a crust shot of my pan pizza last week, here ya go:

The crust is still just a little thick; I'll probably try cutting down the dough recipe another 5% next time.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

This thread has made me incredibly hungry. What is the best pizza stone to buy so I can immediately start putting pizzas in my mouth?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Kaedric posted:

This thread has made me incredibly hungry. What is the best pizza stone to buy so I can immediately start putting pizzas in my mouth?

Generally, people like Baking Steel's the best: https://www.bakingsteel.com

Although it's pricey, look at is this way:

A decent pizza stone will last 6 months to a year before it cracks (and it will crack, perhaps 2 years if you're lucky) and is about $20-40. Let's assume $20.

A $80-120 baking steel is basically indestructible, will last for many years (I've had mine 3 now). Even though the cost is 4-6 times a baking stone, the life of a baking steel is more than 6 times that of a stone (and still counting).

And here's some dough to get you going: https://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I agree on the baking steel value. I have purchased 3 baking stones in my life. 2 of them lasted less than a month due to sauce splatter on crazy hot stone. The third has lasted a year because I cooked 1 pizza on it before getting a dedicated pizza oven, and have not made pizza on the stone again. It still lives in my regular oven as extra thermal mass.

door Door door posted:

Whoever was asking for a crust shot of my pan pizza last week, here ya go:

The crust is still just a little thick; I'll probably try cutting down the dough recipe another 5% next time.

Unf. Texbook perfect buttery brown bottom and crispy burned cheese edge. Gorgeous.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 4, 2016

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

Generally, people like Baking Steel's the best: https://www.bakingsteel.com

A decent pizza stone will last 6 months to a year before it cracks (and it will crack, perhaps 2 years if you're lucky) and is about $20-40. Let's assume $20.

A $80-120 baking steel is basically indestructible, will last for many years (I've had mine 3 now). Even though the cost is 4-6 times a baking stone, the life of a baking steel is more than 6 times that of a stone (and still counting).

And here's some dough to get you going: https://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough
Looks like I'll be getting one of these when my current stones eventually crack and they ship to :canada:! The Big looks good at 16x14x1/2" but wow on 30lbs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
You can also buy baking steels much cheaper if you look locally or get lucky online. I wanted to find a baking steel for my toaster oven, which wasn't an option with Bakingsteel.com - I think I searched on ebay for ".25 steel plate" or ".5 steel plate" and then tweaked the search for the dimensions I wanted. I think back when someone did a group order, there was a suggestion to look for "A36", so you may need to skim the search results or further research the items that look like a close match.

I think I ended up getting 2 plates that went into my toaster over side-by-side, for around $20 total for 1/4 inch.