Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

As someone who spends a lot of time walking around Denver, gently caress cyclists who ride on the sidewalk. More often than not they're on the sidewalk adjacent to the dedicated bike lane, and if they're going the same direction as me they often zoom right around me way too loving close without any warning at all. Only once have I ever had a cyclist say "on your left." And I moved to make room for them.

Half the time I yell "on your left" on a bike/pedestrian trail, the pedestrians move to the left not knowing what the hell to do. Unless it's their first time on that trail in particular, they should be used to the procedure by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Analogue Kid posted:

Half the time I yell "on your left" on a bike/pedestrian trail, the pedestrians move to the left not knowing what the hell to do. Unless it's their first time on that trail in particular, they should be used to the procedure by now.

Better yet when there's two or more pedestrians side by side. I holler "on your left!" and more often than not, the left will scatter to the right while the right will scatter to the left. Uh thanks.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Every day I get off the highway using a mile long exit lane. Every day there's someone crawling along in it at the bumper to bumper speed the non-exit lanes are going, oblivious to the fact that they can go faster in an empty lane. They inevitably come to a stop at the exit ramp to try to merge back in, all told adding an average of 3-4 minutes to my ~15 minute commute by the time they get over far enough for me to go around them and take my exit.

I hate everyone on the road.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I just got new tires, and Jesus does it make all the difference. Whatever the last owner put on must have been hot garbage because I almost have better traction in light rain than I did in the dry.

The chance that I am the person you share the road with has just slightly decreased.

I wonder how many people never bother with new tires. I know I see plenty of parking lot horror in that department.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The lesson of this thread:

Drivers hate other drivers, cyclists, and sometimes pedestrians.
Cyclists hate drivers, pedestrians, and sometimes other cyclists.
Pedestrians hate cyclists, drivers, and sometimes other pedestrians.

How much you hate any given group is probably directly proportional to how many of them you encounter when trying to get somewhere.

These are the people you share a road with: Everybody hates everybody else.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I wonder how many people never bother with new tires. I know I see plenty of parking lot horror in that department.
I would happily take having to deal with regular inspections if it meant the number of homemade racing slicks I see driving around was reduced.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Good post. I find myself happiest on the road when I am alone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Honestly, yeah. Only problem I have is that this usually means I'm on a long drive super late at night, and thus tired as hell. My last trip back from Vegas had me getting into town super late and there were points on both Loop 303 and US60 where I was the only car in sight on 3+ lanes of freeway.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Winter driving in Denver was actually relaxing when there were no other drivers around to gently caress things up. I could drive a safe slow speed and get where I was going without drama.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So i'm thinking, "what is the one car (other than a fully marked squad car) that no one ever wants to road rage at on the roads?" Because I'd buy one of those to keep the idiots off by back.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Domestic Amuse posted:

So i'm thinking, "what is the one car (other than a fully marked squad car) that no one ever wants to road rage at on the roads?" Because I'd buy one of those to keep the idiots off by back.

Unmarked white Crown Victoria with limo tint, spotlight and pusher bar.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Domestic Amuse posted:

MRAP.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Geoj posted:

Unmarked white Crown Victoria with limo tint, spotlight and pusher bar.

I like to play a game of spot-the-fake-vic and when I see a telltale sign I drive flippantly as if to let the driver know that I know.

Flippantly as in doing ten miles over when everyone else is doing the classic slowdown because they think it's real.

Signs include: family passengers, things hanging from the rear view, dirty paint / needs a wash, balding tires, any amount of disrepair.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Elsa posted:

I like to play a game of spot-the-fake-vic and when I see a telltale sign I drive flippantly as if to let the driver know that I know.

Flippantly as in doing ten miles over when everyone else is doing the classic slowdown because they think it's real.

Signs include: family passengers, things hanging from the rear view, dirty paint / needs a wash, balding tires, any amount of disrepair.

Pro mode is spotting unmarked non-Crown-Vics (i.e. Ford Explorers, Ford Tauruses, Chevy Impalas, Chevy Tahoes) before passing them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Domestic Amuse posted:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Pro mode is spotting unmarked non-Crown-Vics (i.e. Ford Explorers, Ford Tauruses, Chevy Impalas, Chevy Tahoes) before passing them.

I see unmarked cars pulling people over and the range of models scares the hell out of me. The other day I saw a Mustang GT with hidden lights. What the gently caress

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I haven't had a ticket in 3 years, and that one was removed with traffic school. The last ticket I got before that was 2009 on a motorcycle.

And now to celebrate jynxing myself into getting ticketed later today, I'd like to play the thread a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9TXY8kYyk

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TotalLossBrain posted:

I once was driving home from work once (and this is about 50 miles of highway driving) and I didn't have to change lanes at all the entire way. It was awesome.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Elsa posted:

I see unmarked cars pulling people over and the range of models scares the hell out of me. The other day I saw a Mustang GT with hidden lights. What the gently caress

I've seen IL state troopers using unmarked Silverados. Sneaky fucks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This is the model car you share a treadmill with.

https://twitter.com/OPCVC/status/778838710964002817/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Domestic Amuse posted:

Probably some beat up old Saturn because the guy is too broke to give a gently caress about not smashing into you. Plus his panels will just pop out anyways.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Uthor posted:

That's loving awesome

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's the new HOLY poo poo, PISS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA9qsE09aWU

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER. WE'RE GONNA WATCH SOMEBODY GET MURDERED

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's the new HOLY poo poo, PISS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA9qsE09aWU

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER. WE'RE GONNA WATCH SOMEBODY GET MURDERED

This guy is an Archer character! :buddy:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elsa posted:

I've always loved the fact that Ohio doesn't allow unmarked cars to do traffic enforcement.

Some cities like to try to push the limits of what they can call "marked" of course, but they can't be fully stealth.

Here's an example from a few years ago just north of me. http://www.cleveland.com/brunswick/index.ssf/2011/09/unmarked_cars_a_gray_area_in_b.html That car was pretty easily identifiable when I saw it, but they still ended up adding some more reflective decals.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

wolrah posted:

I've always loved the fact that Ohio doesn't allow unmarked cars to do traffic enforcement.

Some cities like to try to push the limits of what they can call "marked" of course, but they can't be fully stealth.

A city I travel through a lot has a white Ford F150 with slightly off white lettering. It is Texas so 1/4 of the trucks on the road are white ford trucks.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wolrah posted:

I remember Cuyahoga Falls had a "minimally marked" cruiser at one point - white Crown Vic with "POLICE" in off-white block letters on the doors and LED lights inside the windshield/rear glass. Otherwise looked identical to a non-police cruiser CV. They must have had someone challenge it because I haven't seen it in quite a while.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
MassSP has several unmarked carbon grey metallic Focuses that I recognize easily from a quarter mile, and a handful of black F150s with headache racks and dark rear cab tint that are equally obvious (no dealer sticker, always clean and spotless) but I was surprised to see a dodge caravan with well hidden lights and a stick figure family sticker pull someone over a while ago.

The biggest thing is they never ever have a dealer sticker and they are always clean and undamaged. That puts me on alert and I usually see the hidden lights in the grille or rear window next.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Always fun to recall, back in '09 I saw two Dodge Magnums pulled over on the side of M-39.
They were identical in every way; dark grey, steel wheels, dark tint, but the one at the rear had strobes in the head & tail light housings and light bars behind the front and rear glass.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

Here's an example from a few years ago just north of me. http://www.cleveland.com/brunswick/index.ssf/2011/09/unmarked_cars_a_gray_area_in_b.html That car was pretty easily identifiable when I saw it, but they still ended up adding some more reflective decals.

I just saw a different Mustang GT making a traffic stop on the freeway. It was silver and the first one I saw was dark blue. So I guess anything mid-sized sedan and muscle car are potentially police.

What worries me the most is knowing they could goad me into speeding. I had that happen a long time ago. An unmarked detective pulled me over after tailgating me. Of course I sped up. He said he was just pacing me and acted like I sped up for no reason.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wish speed limits were actually increased to the speed that traffic does, and then enforced strictly (including the use of unmarked cars). This bullshit where everyone goes 10-20km/h over the limit (including marked cop cars, in some cases) and everyone looks the other way is loving ridiculous. The speed limits outside residential areas are artificially low, everyone knows it, and we can't do proper enforcement of traffic laws until that's fixed.

What really pisses me off is the people who will speed at the end of a construction zone, but before the speed limit actually changes back to normal or there's a "Construction Ends" sign. All it takes is one unmarked cruiser and you get a giant ticket that's automatically doubled because you're in a construction zone -- just wait the extra 200 ft. and stop tailgating me, damnit! Once we're out of the construction zone, I'll speed plenty.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Uthor posted:

Who the hell would use a Mustang GT to tow anything?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

PT6A posted:

I wish speed limits were actually increased to the speed that traffic does, and then enforced strictly (including the use of unmarked cars).
Maybe it would be easier to enforce the existing limits? Fewer signs and laws to change that way, and traffic can just go that speed instead.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This page proudly sponsored by Metamucil and Depends

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Domestic Amuse posted:

Who the hell would use a Mustang GT to tow anything?

Uhaul won't let me tow with my explorer, so that's waht we got.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Is this the thread where I can get angry and bitch about people who feel the need to come to a complete stop or slow down to 2mph to take a turn? Dear shitheads, your car can handle driving on curved expressways at over 80mph. You don't need to slow down to a crawl just to stay right at a road split. All you're doing is encouraging people to swerve around you.

People who are scared of driving should just take the bus.

I also hate people who stop at the end of merging on-ramps because they have anything less than a loving major airport runway's length of open road. Press on the gas, motherfuckers.

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 5, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Elsa posted:

Around here the unmarked cars are easy to spot because they have different plates, usually white with black or blue lettering and 6-7 characters with no spaces. The only time I got pulled over and didn't realize it was a cop was on my way home about 5 years ago after midnight when I worked later hours. Only reason I didn't know it was a cop is because it was dark and he rode right up my rear end for what felt like a quarter mile before hitting his lights. I almost flipped him off thinking it was some random rear end in a top hat, dude was close enough to my bumper that I couldn't see his headlights, he in a Charger and me in my old beater Malibu.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BOOTY-ADE posted:

he rode right up my rear end for what felt like a quarter mile before hitting his lights.

They do that to goad you into speeding.
Next time either brake check him or let off the gas and see how long you can coast before he passes you.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wayfinder posted:

Maybe it would be easier to enforce the existing limits? Fewer signs and laws to change that way, and traffic can just go that speed instead.

Because that doesn't work. In the absence of strict enforcement people always end up driving at a speed they feel is appropriate for the road and conditions, regardless of the posted limit. That's why traffic engineering guidelines say to set the speed limits based on real world drivers.

A 75 MPH road is still a 75 MPH road even if you put 55 MPH signs on it. If you don't want people to go fast, don't build the roads smooth, straight, and wide.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Next time either brake check him

Today, I was arrested because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Around here the unmarked cars are easy to spot because they have different plates, usually white with black or blue lettering and 6-7 characters with no spaces. The only time I got pulled over and didn't realize it was a cop was on my way home about 5 years ago after midnight when I worked later hours. Only reason I didn't know it was a cop is because it was dark and he rode right up my rear end for what felt like a quarter mile before hitting his lights. I almost flipped him off thinking it was some random rear end in a top hat, dude was close enough to my bumper that I couldn't see his headlights, he in a Charger and me in my old beater Malibu.

oh yeah, I forgot about the license plate. That's a tell and hopefully you weren't doing 90 mph before you get close enough to see it (90 mph in km/h is like 500 or something for euros).