Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

While we're bitching about Now Assistant, Does anyone still get their parking location saved? Mine would for a while when it first came out, but I mostly bike and didn't pay attention. Now apple has it and I don't think I've seen it in a few years?

Works pretty well for me, although I don't use it much anymore now that I'm more familiar with the city. Besides, you and I basically only ever go to the same few bars and restaurants, all of which are within stumbling distance of your apartment, so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Speaking of parking reminders, is there a way to set them manually. Like "okay google remember where I parked"?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of parking reminders, is there a way to set them manually. Like "okay google remember where I parked"?

I don't drive to most places because transit and biking are good, but I remember Google Now telling me without asking where I parked. It seems to sense if I stop my car and get out and walk somewhere, and marks that as my parking location.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't drive to most places because transit and biking are good, but I remember Google Now telling me without asking where I parked. It seems to sense if I stop my car and get out and walk somewhere, and marks that as my parking location.

but as the last several posts have mentioned, it's hit or miss on whether that actually works. I'd rather be able to set it manually but I couldn't even remember how to set a pin in Google Maps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

but as the last several posts have mentioned, it's hit or miss on whether that actually works. I'd rather be able to set it manually but I couldn't even remember how to set a pin in Google Maps.

Oh sorry, I missed that. Yeah, not sure if there's a manual method. To set a pin you can tap and hold in Google Maps though, right?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh sorry, I missed that. Yeah, not sure if there's a manual method. To set a pin you can tap and hold in Google Maps though, right?

I couldn't seem to get that to work a few weeks ago but it does appear to work now. Good enough I guess, if a little sloppy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I never have the parking thing NOT work. I'm pretty sure Google notices when you disconnect from your car's bluetooth to make note of where you parked...maybe you guys who have problems with it don't use BT in your car?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My car doesn't have bluetooth, so sure that might be it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I almost never connect to Bluetooth. It does work without Bluetooth, just not reliably.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I never have the parking thing NOT work. I'm pretty sure Google notices when you disconnect from your car's bluetooth to make note of where you parked...maybe you guys who have problems with it don't use BT in your car?

My car doesn't have bluetooth, it was always really hit or miss. I think you have to be pretty far from where your car is parked for it to give you the notification automatically. I haven't seen it in months though, I dunno where it went.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Does anyone that is familiar with Plume know if there's a way I can change the update frequency of the widget? It seems to do it whenever it feels like it and I'd like to limit it to only on WiFi or at least decrease the frequency.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Google saves my car location whenever I don't need it. If I'm at work, I can literally see my car out front. Why can't I save it manually when I go to the airport or another busy place?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Agoat posted:

Google saves my car location whenever I don't need it. If I'm at work, I can literally see my car out front. Why can't I save it manually when I go to the airport or another busy place?

Because then the location is so vague as to be useless.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LastInLine posted:

Because then the location is so vague as to be useless.

If you're manually forcing it to log the location there's no reason it can't turn on high accuracy location to get it down to a few feet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you're manually forcing it to log the location there's no reason it can't turn on high accuracy location to get it down to a few feet.

Oh yeah, for sure.

I misread the question as "Why doesn't it save it when..." And yes, Agoat is right, I always get the card when I don't need it and never when I'm in a place where I might.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Even if I can get to the row where my car is it'd be a huge help.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Waze does a good job of marking where your car was when you closed the app, after using it for directions.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I've always had a really good experience with the parking card and I didn't start using a BT stereo until very recently. Maybe I'm just lucky. That said, I would like the ability to quickly drop a pin to mark where I parked.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I upgraded from KitKat to Marshmallow and the one thing I really can't stand is the new, Rolodex-like app switcher. Is there a way to actually change it to something flatter? The various app switcher apps on the store seem to just run in the background next to the regular app switcher.

Also, can anyone recommend an app to make the phone act as a PC microphone and/or webcam over Bluetooth (or wi-fi I guess)? The ones I tried had terrible quality and latency.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

I upgraded from KitKat to Marshmallow

:stare: What device went from Kit Kat all the way to Marshmallow in one shot?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

I upgraded from KitKat to Marshmallow and the one thing I really can't stand is the new, Rolodex-like app switcher.
I hated it for about a week and now it seems fine, so maybe give it a chance. I still prefer the old style with depth I guess but I don't notice it any more. You can't change this with an app anyway so you're stuck with it unless you go down the root fuckery route.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

LastInLine posted:

:stare: What device went from Kit Kat all the way to Marshmallow in one shot?

I'm going out on a limb and saying they probably bought a new phone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I upgraded from KitKat to Marshmallow and the one thing I really can't stand is the new, Rolodex-like app switcher. Is there a way to actually change it to something flatter? The various app switcher apps on the store seem to just run in the background next to the regular app switcher.

Also, can anyone recommend an app to make the phone act as a PC microphone and/or webcam over Bluetooth (or wi-fi I guess)? The ones I tried had terrible quality and latency.

As with most big interface changes, you should give it a few days before you let kneejerk turn you off it. On the surface most of the UI changes between Android versions usually bothered me a lot, but after a little while using them I like pretty much every change more than the previous way.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm annoyed the Android Comixology app doesn't display download size like the iOS app does.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OhFunny posted:

I'm annoyed the Android Comixology app doesn't display download size like the iOS app does.

At least it's better than the MCU app.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm thinking of switching from iPhone once the Pixel drops. Probably the most important thing that the iPhone did that I want to replicate was the ability to have custom tones and vibration patterns for different apps and contacts. I got super used to having one pattern for emails, one for most text messages, and one for my girlfriend. My question is, is this something I need an app for on android, and if it is what should I use?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
You can set different sounds for different email accounts and different contacts. You don't need an app to do it; it's a setting in the apps, like Gmail, Messenger, Hangouts, Allo, etc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

wolfbiker posted:

You can set different sounds for different email accounts and different contacts. You don't need an app to do it; it's a setting in the apps, like Gmail, Messenger, Hangouts, Allo, etc.

What about vibrate patterns

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is Hangouts the only SMS App that has a desktop client that allows you to write/reply to SMS's using your PC? I currently use Textra and/or Google Messenger.

My colleague has his iPhone hooked up to his Mac with an MSN Messenger type interface with all of his conversations and receives pop up notifications and what-not. I'm jealous.

My experience with Hangouts/G-Chat was like 2 years ago and it was an ugly as hell tiny chat interface that was embedded within my gmail page when I had it open.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Looten Plunder posted:

Is Hangouts the only SMS App that has a desktop client that allows you to write/reply to SMS's using your PC? I currently use Textra and/or Google Messenger.

My colleague has his iPhone hooked up to his Mac with an MSN Messenger type interface with all of his conversations and receives pop up notifications and what-not. I'm jealous.

My experience with Hangouts/G-Chat was like 2 years ago and it was an ugly as hell tiny chat interface that was embedded within my gmail page when I had it open.

MightyText. Install the app on your phone, and the extension on Chrome. You'll get popups for your SMS, and you can view/respond to all your threads from your PC. You can still use your messenger app of choice on the phone, the MightyText app is only there to capture incoming SMS. I've used it for years, it's solid.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A shame that it's not free, but I'm a nerd with no friends so I probably won't go over the 250 messages on the free version anyway lol.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What about vibrate patterns

The apps that allow you to manipulate vibrate patterns (Textra is a good example of this) do so from the in app settings, same as the sounds. There aren't many widely used, first party apps out there that have this feature built in though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

The apps that allow you to manipulate vibrate patterns (Textra is a good example of this) do so from the in app settings, same as the sounds. There aren't many widely used, first party apps out there that have this feature built in though.

Rip. That poo poo ruled.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I'd love to see Google build in universal notification management into Android. Where you can go into each app and customize how each separate notification from the app works, sound/light/vibration etc. The apps that attempt to do this (lightflow for example) are notoriously unreliable and don't work for a ton of stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting that Google Rewards updated with a round icon. I wonder if all google first party apps are going to go round to match the new Pixel Launcher.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

A shame that it's not free, but I'm a nerd with no friends so I probably won't go over the 250 messages on the free version anyway lol.

There's also Join which allows you to have notification mirroring, file and tab pushes, universal clipboard, and Tasker integration.

Also with Google dollars why would you ever worry about paying for apps? I have like $100 just sitting there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

I'd love to see Google build in universal notification management into Android. Where you can go into each app and customize how each separate notification from the app works, sound/light/vibration etc. The apps that attempt to do this (lightflow for example) are notoriously unreliable and don't work for a ton of stuff.

i mean every notification from every app is a bit excessive, i think texts/calls would be plenty

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Luchadork posted:

MightyText. Install the app on your phone, and the extension on Chrome. You'll get popups for your SMS, and you can view/respond to all your threads from your PC. You can still use your messenger app of choice on the phone, the MightyText app is only there to capture incoming SMS. I've used it for years, it's solid.

I've tried mightytext from 3 different phones over the past few years and it always ends up getting out of sync and tons of messages get missed. I tried airdroid and it's great and free.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I still use Pushbullet, is that a faux pas now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I still use Pushbullet, is that a faux pas now?

A lot of people are turned off by their subscription pricing but if you can afford it or if you aren't bumping up on the limits it's certainly the best at what it does. I like Join a lot as a Pushbullet replacement but I'll be real, it doesn't have the polish or ease of use that Pushbullet does. On the other hand it's literally the work of one guy so I don't really expect it.