Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Hahahaha loving forgot about the half-assed, with a touch of Old-boy hallway fight.

The hallway fight was, for the most part, okay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Not every black person likes being called nigga. They're still black, tho.

In my experience as a white dude none of them like being called that?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
This may shock the thread but Black People Inc are not a hive mind and have wildly varying opinions on just about everything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just finished up the last episode and Jesus Christ, what trash in execution.

I get what they were going for and I applaud it and all that, but Diamondback's confrontation with Luke and the fight/resolution was utter crap. Everything in the Police Station was preachy as gently caress and really kind of boring/bad. Mariah's evolution was cool. Luke Cage walking to the police station "I'm no hero, just tryin' to live my life day to day blah blah" ughh.

:argh: I want to like this show so much more than I really can. It deserves to be good, but the dialog was just drat dumb. Held it back, imho.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

HIJK posted:

Who is the hero that made this

Unless someone is doing a bang up copy job, it's LiarTownUSA, a pretty funny Tumblr.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
My gripe: Dimondback introduces the Judas 2.0 bullets, and there's a bunch of drama building up to the cops getting them.. but why does he never get any of the mass produced ones for himself? Or for the goons at the nightclub for that matter? All he had left at that point was one original Judas round, which he of course misses with. Meanwhile all those guys who blasted Luke multiple times with normal bullets could have been loaded down with the 2.0's and that would have been that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Did you try explaining why ending the word with an "a" is ok but you understand you can't ever end it with an "r"? I hear that gets fantastic results.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Amstrad posted:

My gripe: Dimondback introduces the Judas 2.0 bullets, and there's a bunch of drama building up to the cops getting them.. but why does he never get any of the mass produced ones for himself? Or for the goons at the nightclub for that matter? All he had left at that point was one original Judas round, which he of course misses with. Meanwhile all those guys who blasted Luke multiple times with normal bullets could have been loaded down with the 2.0's and that would have been that.

I guess I'm not really answering but your question got me thinking:

Diamond back is so terrible that you can't help but think about other nit picky poo poo. If Diamond back wasn't such an abysmal replacement for Cottonmouth, my only real complaint about the series would the episode where they find the science guy and use science to save Luke, which conveniently takes one episode and provides a lot of opportunities for exposition and set up and universe building. Although I don't know if I would've wanted to that plot point stretched out any longer. But anyways, Diamond Back is the only "what the gently caress were you thinking?" thing this show did, but it's bad enough and he's got so much screen time it just makes you more critical of the whole thing. Which really sucks, because almost everything is fantastic.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Amstrad posted:

Diamondback tries to kill Luke and manages to get two shots in him but doesn't kill him so he changes his business plan. He turns Judas bullets into the 2.0 version which he plans to sell via proxy to the cops, then runs around framing Luke and creating public concern and fear thus creating the demand by the cops to obtain them. If he loaded up his goons he would be wasting tons of money to do a job the cops will do for free while paying him handsomely for the tools to do it. And even if the cops don't kill Luke he's got a super-suit waiting for him he can use to finish him personally.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Blackchamber posted:

Diamondback tries to kill Luke and manages to get two shots in him but doesn't kill him so he changes his business plan. He turns Judas bullets into the 2.0 version which he plans to sell via proxy to the cops, then runs around framing Luke and creating public concern and fear thus creating the demand by the cops to obtain them. If he loaded up his goons he would be wasting tons of money to do a job the cops will do for free while paying him handsomely for the tools to do it. And even if the cops don't kill Luke he's got a super-suit waiting for him he can use to finish him personally.
This makes a certain amount of sense. But it does seem to run slightly counter to the idea of Dimondback being out for revenge. He otherwise seems like a very hands on kind of guy when it comes to Luke, so for him to start going into convoluted plotting rather than just shooting the poo poo out of Luke personally feels off.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Amstrad posted:

This makes a certain amount of sense. But it does seem to run slightly counter to the idea of Dimondback being out for revenge. He otherwise seems like a very hands on kind of guy when it comes to Luke, so for him to start going into convoluted plotting rather than just shooting the poo poo out of Luke personally feels off.

I think because it was personal that Diamondback became directly involved with going after Luke with the Judas bullets and nearly killing him (and that was why he didn't want Lukes past coming to light right away, as I recall Shades was upset that info was being used since it might have spooked Luke into disappearing). And when Luke is gone to get cured Diamondback saw to his mind that Luke was a coward who ran off again he got a bit more clear-headed and went after his larger business plans. When Luke returns he is still thinking clearly and figures the cops will kill him and when they don't he suits up to finish the job.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

bloodychill posted:

Also, I never took Robyn for comic relief but instead the unending support. She's the sister who never doubts and is JJ's moral center when she can't be her own. In a story about a trauma victim, she's basically the victim's sponsor. I think you might be misreading here.

Are you confusing Robyn with Trish?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think there weren't enough scenes of Luke Cage owning cops.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tsob posted:

The thread has stated that his character has Blacksplotation roots I have no appreciation for though, so my lack of appreciation for that probably influences my lack of apprecation for the character since I've never seen any Blacksploitation in my life. I should probably get on Black Dynamite though at least, since it looks fun.
Black Dynamite is fantastic, but if you're not familiar with Blaxploitation going in there's a whole level of funny that will pass you by.

Seriously, watch a couple Dolemite or Shaft movies. Then watch Black Dynamite.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

Who is the hero that made this

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

In my experience as a black dude there are a lot of black people who I can call my nigga. Then there are those who don't like that.

Hell I didn't like it for much the same reasons as Luke Cage, but then I got over myself.

marktheando posted:

I think there weren't enough scenes of Luke Cage owning cops.

Hopefully season 2 will have Luke stopping some cops from shooting an unarmed non-powered black person. That would piss so many people off.

COMIC BOOK QUESTION:

What's the nature of Luke's and JJ's relationship in the comicverse? How different is it from what we're seeing on TV?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 5, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I liked this series, didn't really notice anything really egregious in it aside from the rally to ultra-arm police being met with cheers and support and such. The clapping at a funeral didn't bother me since I kinda thought that was how it worked. I haven't been to a lot of funerals, thankfully, so I always thought you give a small applause to people after speaking and that was just how it worked normally.

Characters not having dialogue that meshed together normally didn't stick out or Diamondback being a bad villain or anything. I mean, I got stuck on stupid stuff like that dude breaking his hand on Luke's face.

The thing that I felt with Diamondback is that when he showed up, I thought he was loving bonkers. Like, I didn't think he'd actually be Luke's brother, insane. That turning out to be true was a surprise. I was pretty much on board with Diamondback when he did the hand trick and shot that dude in Cottonmouth's office.

One thing I did notice that made me chuckle was the police being given the power to kill Luke in the vein of making him not 100% bulletproof was pretty silly when you remember Matt Murdock and his superpower of not actually being blind.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 5, 2016

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Daredevil is the real villain of Luke Cage. By locking Fisk up he gave people like Cottonmouth the ability to rise to power.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

COMIC BOOK QUESTION:

What's the nature of Luke's and JJ's relationship in the comicverse? How different is it from what we're seeing on TV?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

And Squirrel Girl was their babysitter for awhile, if I remember correctly.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Well, drat. I wonder if we'll ever get an interracial kid out of them on TV because that would be huge.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Well, drat. I wonder if we'll ever get an interracial kid out of them on TV because that would be huge.

Well, he's kinda dating non-Night Nurse so that's unlikely.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

flosofl posted:

Black Dynamite is fantastic, but if you're not familiar with Blaxploitation going in there's a whole level of funny that will pass you by.

Also check out Foxy Brown and later Jackie Brown. Pam Grier is everything.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 5, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

COMIC BOOK QUESTION:

Current status is that they're married and have a baby girl named Danielle(named after Iron Fist Danny Rand) and they've been together since they first got romantically linked.

Also the Danielle grows up to become Captain America in a possibly not alternate future.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 5, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

flosofl posted:

Black Dynamite as a pitch-perfect parody is still nowhere near as funny as Disco Godfather played totally straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC3kcOKebfc

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

flosofl posted:

You forgot to mention Jim Kelly you loving jive turkey.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

raditts posted:

Black Dynamite as a pitch-perfect parody is still nowhere near as funny as Disco Godfather played totally straight.

Sweet Christmas.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oh we're posting trailers now? Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVDvu28O3WU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3DPuPILahg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Daredevil is the real villain of Luke Cage. By locking Fisk up he gave people like Cottonmouth the ability to rise to power.

Speaking of which, it felt really rude to lecture Misty about not trusting the system, fresh off of two partners working for a criminal and thus being completely untrustworthy.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of which, it felt really rude to lecture Misty about not trusting the system, fresh off of two partners working for a criminal and thus being completely untrustworthy.

Honestly I thnk that was the point? I don't think we were supposed to agree with that lecture or think that Misty was wrong. Yeah, Candace was killed but she probably would've got killed either way. We know there's other crooked cops there. I doubt Cottonmouth only had two on the payroll, and who knows about the other criminal syndicates.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

raditts posted:

Beat me to it. It used to be on Netflix, and it was incredible.

Drifter posted:

Well, he's kinda dating non-Night Nurse so that's unlikely.

70s comics spoilers, Luke and Claire Temple were an item before she ultimately broke up with him due to being caught in the crossfire too much. Who knows? I do like how they kinda mix and match things from the comics to the shows.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 5, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Misty was wrong though?

She should have trusted her boss. Her boss was someone who like Misty actually gave a poo poo and was able to weigh things properly. Her hesitation and understanding of what bringing those weapons onto the streets would mean was smart as hell. And that hesitation is what saved Luke and every one's lives in the end.

Unlike Misty her boss was able to maintain control in every situation besides with Shades, and when Mariah used the beating of that chess club kid to try and push her goals forward.

In Police custody Candice's probably would have had a detail on her and maybe cameras. It would have been possible to kill her. but wouldn't be so easy as sending her a text message and rolling up behind her and shooting her with no resistance. Mariah hasn't had time to start paying off cops, and they already had a list of everyone on Cottonmouth's payroll. Diamondback didn't seem to give a poo poo about anything but Luke at that time and was already being dealt with.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 5, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I thought they did a good job with how they handled Inspector Pricilla. She's introduced as this real officious, cliche internal affairs type, but by the end you realize she's a good cop trying to do right by the people, and isn't looking out to protect the department first.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm only two episodes in (haven't read this thread at all) but I'm really impressed that they showed one of the primary antagonists crying. The characterization in this show is great so far.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rewatched episode 12, since I dozed off a little when I first watched it. Thought it was dumb that, as the cop car went by, he pretended like he was looking at a magazine, turning his bullet hole-riddled back toward the squad car.

The bodega robbery scene is one of my favorites this season.

:downs: My bad, Meth. I grew up on that Wu Tang poo poo. But you know how it is.
:mad: Are you serious? Are you really trying to have a conversation right now?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

COMIC BOOK QUESTION:

Jessica Jones the TV series/Netflix show nails the spirit of Alias, the debut series starring Jessica Jones. However much of the actual story either greatly differentiates from the comic, or is entirely original.

Luke and Jessica meet in the comics at a bar randomly and Jessica gets drunk and they gently caress. Luke owns the bar, like he does in the show. In contrast, Luke is not low profile. He is very much Luke Cage, and while he isn't wearing yellow spandex, he definitely is showing off. Eventually after not talking for a while, and her trying to date a legit super hero (Scott Lang, AKA Ant-Man), she goes to Luke and tells her she's pregnant. In a follow up series called The Pulse, it is revealed that Luke Cage with Danny Rand/Iron Fist as Heroes for Hire ran into Jessica while she was Jewel, her superhero alias.

From there they later get married and have a lot of different superhero adventures, mostly within the Avengers family of titles. They also have a kid, a girl named Danielle.

Before meeting Jessica, Luke is known to be a cape chaser, having implied to have sex with a lot of the single women in the Marvel universe.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 5, 2016

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

RareAcumen posted:

I liked this series, didn't really notice anything really egregious in it aside from the rally to ultra-arm police being met with cheers and support and such. The clapping at a funeral didn't bother me since I kinda thought that was how it worked. I haven't been to a lot of funerals, thankfully, so I always thought you give a small applause to people after speaking and that was just how it worked normally.

WASP funerals and I'm guessing Catholic funerals are all sad and poo poo, but black funerals and many southern-based forms of Protestantism treat it more on the celebration-of-life side than the mourning side. Even my boring-rear end Methodist family funerals have had a chuckle or two. The only sad funerals I've been to are for kids.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm only on episode 7 or eight. Is it ever explained why Cottonmouth hates that name?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Irish Catholic funerals are somber. Irish Catholic wakes are where we celebrate their life by killing our livers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApathyGifted posted:

WASP funerals and I'm guessing Catholic funerals are all sad and poo poo, but black funerals and many southern-based forms of Protestantism treat it more on the celebration-of-life side than the mourning side. Even my boring-rear end Methodist family funerals have had a chuckle or two. The only sad funerals I've been to are for kids.

It's definitely a Southern thing in addition to being a black thing. Every funeral I've been to has been more of a wake - the community and family coming together to share stories about the good the deceased did and share funny and heartwarming stories. Booze is also usually involved. The idea is usually that the deceased wouldn't want everyone they cared about to be sad and mopey, go celebrate the good they did in life and remember them that way.