Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Where is XIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Im going to buy it after I finish the DQ7 postgame and will post about it here as well

I'm buying the first game some time in the indetermined near future and will post about it here x3

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Where is XIII.

woops. after 8 IMO. i think 13-2 and 13-3 perfected the formula, i didnt really enjoy a single fight in 13 up until like the freaky smt style pope guy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bravely Second is awesome but the other day I let a conversation auto play and I was paying attention and I ended up in a boss battle where the guy could one hit a character with every attack lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

In Training posted:

Before uhh 2 or 3 years ago I had only played the remakes of 1 - 4. But when I saw the E3 trailer for Lightning Returns I thought that it looked completely insane and wanted to try and figure out the context for it so I played FF 6 through XIII-2 skipping the MMOs. Very awesome year

I need to do something like this. The only FF games I've beat are I and II on GBA and III on the DS. I feel like I should at least play VII, VIII, and IX... X, X-II and the XIII games too probably.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I need to do something like this. The only FF games I've beat are I and II on GBA and III on the DS. I feel like I should at least play VII, VIII, and IX... X, X-II and the XIII games too probably.

drat dude...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

FF6 is one of the best games every made, so don't skip it.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

V and VI are essential too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every FF game except the MMOs (XI, XII and XIV) are good

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Even those are good. 12 and 9 are my personal faves.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

It's true

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Tactics is my favorite one, followed by 9, followed by 7. 8 comes in 4th, but has inarguably the best card mini game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
replaying 9's intro because I loved everything about it ftw

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I was a dumb kid who didn't realize how junction worked so I spammed GFs in every fight in FF8 until things were dead.

i haven't played it in years so i still don't get how junctions work. i was thinking of getting it again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

6, 9 and 10 are my favorites, but 4, 5, and 12 are great too. I should get back to 13 since I liked what I played of it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my morning jackass posted:

i haven't played it in years so i still don't get how junctions work. i was thinking of getting it again

Turn a good card from the card game into a ton of magic, then junction it to hp. Then you stay at 2499/9999 hp and spam limit breaks on every turn by hitting the circle button because it checks anew every time you select a new character.

There's like half a dozen other ways to break the game, and I kind of liked how it abruptly swings from really hard to really easy once you figure them out.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
final fantasty

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
every ff thread is just tier lists

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the world. -Cloud Strife, Final Fantasy VII

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Its important to get them out of your system early in a thread's lifespan

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

World of Final Fantasy looks kinda cool, its like Dragon Quest Monsters for FF

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

World of Final Fantasy looks kinda cool, its like Dragon Quest Monsters for FF
I preordered a new PS4 along with this and FF15. I love this series so much.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

Alright let's talk about fabula nova crystallis. I think that it's odd that Lightning is the only character on the cover of all 3 games when she's arguably only the main character of one of them and she barely appears in FFXIII-2. Vanille is the most important character in FFXIII imo and of course Serah and Noel share FFXIII-2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Alright let's talk about fabula nova crystallis. I think that it's odd that Lightning is the only character on the cover of all 3 games when she's arguably only the main character of one of them and she barely appears in FFXIII-2. Vanille is the most important character in FFXIII imo and of course Serah and Noel share FFXIII-2.
Mog is on the cover of Final Fantasy 3 in the U.S.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The only explanation I can come up with is that Lightning is such a badass that she forced the other characters off of the covers until Square finally gave her a game of her own.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Its also badass that XIII-2 opens with a 10 minute cinematic and Caius and Lightning battling at the ends of reality and both characters appear for like 2 scenes in the actual game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The XIII-2 alternate ending stuff was a fun system, more people should blatantly rip off that aspect of Chrono Trigger.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

The XIII-2 alternate ending stuff was a fun system, more people should blatantly rip off that aspect of Chrono Trigger.

Snow's time cycle ending is what made me start liking him. Some of those endings are really sad and messed up though...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

It's insane how few games steal from Chrono Trigger. Nothing CT does is super complicated or hard to borrow. It's a really good game but it's not crazy complex or mechanically deep. Just steal the cool ideas and put them in another game. It has so many cool things.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i play 14

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I kind of want to try ff14 since I heard it's really fun

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also the boss fights look fun

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

I kind of want to try ff14 since I heard it's really fun
I didn't like it much the first time I played it, but I recently came back and have been liking it more. You have to be willing to read all the text and really engage with the world and lore, because it's all buried in dialogue and stuff. I've been liking it a lot more as I've been doing it. It can be kind of boring otherwise. The world isn't very interesting, visually, which is disappointing for a Final Fantasy game.

It has a cool dungeon system, though, and the players are way more helpful and cooperative than in something like WoW.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And like all MMOs, it's hilariously easy for the first chunk of the game. You level fast, though.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know it's crazy but I want to play it like a FF game and read everything and also I want magitek armor

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If i played nearly every main line Final Fantasy game should I start at 3 or 4.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just start with 4 imo

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

And like all MMOs, it's hilariously easy for the first chunk of the game. You level fast, though.

to a more insane degree than some others, the first three dungeons you get have some real like being on a disney ride called The Great Pirate Cave Adventure for children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

net cafe scandal posted:

If i played nearly every main line Final Fantasy game should I start at 3 or 4.

3 is interesting because it started the job system but it's implemented in kind of a dumb way imo and isn't that great otherwise, 4 would be a better start imo, 5 is when they nailed the job system