Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

If i played nearly every main line Final Fantasy game should I start at 3 or 4.

Start with 1, NES version :troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

3 is really unfun to play, and the DS version somehow made it even worse. Music's good, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9xyV-Rz5Jk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Start with 1, NES version :troll:
I still can't believe I had enough free time as a kid to beat Dragon Warrior and FF1 on the NES.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

The world isn't very interesting, visually, which is disappointing for a Final Fantasy game.

the crystal tower/binding coil of bahamut look r.good but idk what level you are

FactsAreUseless posted:

3 is really unfun to play, and the DS version somehow made it even worse. Music's good, though.

i played 3 on ds and it was just kind of really easy and boring and i didn't finish it because the crystal tower layout confused me and i didn't care

like i did the optional dungeon and it was kind of "oh, that was it huh"

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dragon Warrior NES isn't really a long game, I played it last DQ summer and it seemed short

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Office Surprise Store posted:

the crystal tower/binding coil of bahamut look r.good but idk what level you are
I played up to 40 before I quit the first time. I love the Empire's aesthetic, but you don't really get to play in their areas AFAIK, you just see a bunch of cool Magitek poo poo in cutscenes and then it's back to plains/desert/forest. It was frustrating. That's my biggest complaint with the game, is just that FF games should be a lot more interesting in terms of environment design. The series is usually really good at that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

I still can't believe I had enough free time as a kid to beat Dragon Warrior and FF1 on the NES.

I had Dragon Warrior as a kid and never stuck with it, i really wish i had lol

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah the overworld is kind of boring, they hid all their good design inside dungeons and stuff

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insane how few games steal from Chrono Trigger. Nothing CT does is super complicated or hard to borrow. It's a really good game but it's not crazy complex or mechanically deep. Just steal the cool ideas and put them in another game. It has so many cool things.

i feel like a simple ng+ that just lets you take your gear and stats and makes no changes to the game should be way more common than doing nothing at all

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

World of Final Fantasy looks kinda cool, its like Dragon Quest Monsters for FF

I think this game looks awesome and it's part of the reason i'm at peace with the FFXV delay because if FFXV came out first I would probably never get around to playing this

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

elf help book posted:

i feel like a simple ng+ that just lets you take your gear and stats and makes no changes to the game should be way more common than doing nothing at all

idk why more things don't do this, even their own sequel hosed it up by "needing" to do ng+ to get the full character roster

at least cc had a cutscene fast-forward in ng+

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its cool when a game has that and you can stock up on limited availability items by just getting more on each playthrough, that was a 10-2 thing

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

its cool when a game has that and you can stock up on limited availability items by just getting more on each playthrough, that was a 10-2 thing
10-2 did the NG+ really well, I think it's my favorite outside of CT.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Office Surprise Store posted:

yeah the overworld is kind of boring, they hid all their good design inside dungeons and stuff

I figure it's a consequence of having to completely remake the game while it was still running, but I hope future expansions (which they still have planned as far as I know) have more interesting areas outside the dungeons. The fact there are just three big overworld areas, and one of them is a big empty stupid desert, kinda sucks. The other two areas are honestly alright, but I know Square can do more than "dark forest zone" and "green hill zone."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i remember when i first got 10-2, i didnt understand that it was all about the sidequests, so when it kept telling me to go places, i just would go there instead of going every place except that, and i was annoyed wondering why the game was so hard

i think i didnt realize until a friend had the strat guide with him at school and it was thick as hell

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

i remember when i first got 10-2, i didnt understand that it was all about the sidequests, so when it kept telling me to go places, i just would go there instead of going every place except that, and i was annoyed wondering why the game was so hard

i think i didnt realize until a friend had the strat guide with him at school and it was thick as hell
You're supposed to go to every area every chapter, there's a ton of poo poo you can find. I liked the fast forward and no-encounters options on the HD version for having to run through areas to see if anything new was there without using a guide.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

yea thats the funny thing, the airship location list puts up a big RECOMMENDED or whatever on the next story location, and you really should go to every place on the list except that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

which is exciting compared to normal jrpg towns stuck in time with the same people always saying the same thing through the entire story

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did the same thing my first time playin X-2 and got to chapter 3 in like a few hours and was getting destroyed by everything and restarted my file and had my mind mildly blown when I started visiting all the towns every chapter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

X-2 is a way better game than X but I imagine people were pissed paying full price for a game that was basically a copy paste of X's art and world

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

X-2 is a way better game than X but I imagine people were pissed paying full price for a game that was basically a copy paste of X's art and world

they also didnt like that it was "girly" or whatever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Alright let's talk about fabula nova crystallis. I think that it's odd that Lightning is the only character on the cover of all 3 games when she's arguably only the main character of one of them and she barely appears in FFXIII-2. Vanille is the most important character in FFXIII imo and of course Serah and Noel share FFXIII-2.

Serah really should be on the cover of 2 theres no excuse for that

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

In Training posted:

World of Final Fantasy looks kinda cool, its like Dragon Quest Monsters for FF

im like 60% leaning towards getting it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

What they do with it is so much more interesting than X's world though, it's a total transformation. It makes X feel so stiff and lifeless. Which is probably accurate, thematically.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i still really like x and yeah the world being kind of stiff and lifeless makes sense because the world has been stiff and lifeless since there's a giant monster that destroys towns constantly wandering around and we established a suicide cult of wizards who kill it only to take it's place

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i never played the snes ffs theres too many games to be played

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

elf help book posted:

they also didnt like that it was "girly" or whatever

as if tidus isnt a little queermo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

FFV is really short unless you're insane and try and level up all the jobs.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

as if tidus isnt a little queermo

Tidus, son of Jecht is the manliest FF protagonist ever.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I never played any of the 13 games ... from everything I've heard the first one doesn't sound nearly as fun mechanically as XII-2 or Lightning Returns but am I gonna be totally lost if I skip it? I don't have a PS3 or PC to play them on so i'll have to rent them on psnow i think

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like VI and V on the SNES a lot. FFT, T-A and T-A2 are my favorite overall, and the adventure game on the gameboy is great too. i've never finished a 3D final fantasy D:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I never played any of the 13 games ... from everything I've heard the first one doesn't sound nearly as fun mechanically as XII-2 or Lightning Returns but am I gonna be totally lost if I skip it? I don't have a PS3 or PC to play them on so i'll have to rent them on psnow i think

People seem to like XIII-2 a lot more than XIII but personally its my least favorite of the three. They moved to a more open structure and made the combat stone cold easy because a lot of people couldnt wrap their heads around XIII. You can raise monsters to fight for you and theres a lot more stuff to explore in XIII-2 but the original has much better difficulty and design, even if it is pretty slow ramp. Story wise none of it matters because each game has a pretty self contained story with characters that just cross over as needed

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

Tidus, son of Jecht is the manliest FF protagonist ever.

*starts to agree actually but then thinks about it for a sec* what about cloud.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

People seem to like XIII-2 a lot more than XIII but personally its my least favorite of the three. They moved to a more open structure and made the combat stone cold easy because a lot of people couldnt wrap their heads around XIII. You can raise monsters to fight for you and theres a lot more stuff to explore in XIII-2 but the original has much better difficulty and design, even if it is pretty slow ramp. Story wise none of it matters because each game has a pretty self contained story with characters that just cross over as needed

I agree with all of this. Making the game more open and less linear came at a cost. The difficulty curve was all out of whack in FFXIII-2. Lightning Returns did a great job of being both nonlinear and mostly difficult.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont like x but i like the optional stuff, in theory. in practise its too grindy though but its cool that it had bosses that were so deep in the game u needed 255 in every stat to beat them. and the dark aeons and stuff which im not sure american people got

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

*starts to agree actually but then thinks about it for a sec* what about cloud.

Tidus never cross dressed and he was a star athlete. There's no comparison.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i played a few jrpgs this year and felt like i had forgotten for a while until now that jrpgs are really good poo poo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
How many VII spinoffs are there again? There's Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and Advent Children, and I can't remember if that's it or if there are any more...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

How many VII spinoffs are there again? There's Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and Advent Children, and I can't remember if that's it or if there are any more...
thats whats important
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Compilation_of_Final_Fantasy_VII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Remake and the movie, unless Advent Children is the movie, I've never seen it