Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Crowetron posted:

It also does that with enemies in certain rooms. Like there's a hallway in the RPD that either has a couple dogs lurking around or a bunch of zombos crammed into a narrow corridor. It helps keep things interesting your first few times through the game.

that's outside the briefing room. Brain suckers and Drain Demios also switch a lot once both flavors are introduced. Also in the Dead Factory the acid bath room can switch between zombies, hunters, drains or brain suckers... and they constantly respawn there. there are so many places like that in the game and it becomes disorienting for second and third time players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I beat it! In hindsight, I think going for the Nemesis kills made the game worse for me me first time through and I'd probably done better saving it for another playthrough when I actually know where I'll be getting resources and what I can safely use. And I was really disappointed that the last optional Nemesis fight was at the Clock Tower, because after that the game begins dumping massive amounts of ammo on your lap and I was all ready to pump it all into my friend, but then you never actually get to do that. At the trash dump it's a puzzle boss where I would assume you can't even win by just shooting, and then there's only the final boss left, and, well. I was going intoit with an inventory literally full of weapons and ammo, and then I just needed to blast it with all the rockets I had and shoot a couple of magnum rounds. How lame. What're all those ammo caches even for?!

Oh well, despite some frustrations with fighting the big man in very small spaces, fun game. I think I like RE2 a bit more, but we'll see how I feel about this one once I inevitably replay it.

Hey, I'm finally onto the games you can actually buy on steam!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

I beat it! In hindsight, I think going for the Nemesis kills made the game worse for me me first time through and I'd probably done better saving it for another playthrough when I actually know where I'll be getting resources and what I can safely use. And I was really disappointed that the last optional Nemesis fight was at the Clock Tower, because after that the game begins dumping massive amounts of ammo on your lap and I was all ready to pump it all into my friend, but then you never actually get to do that. At the trash dump it's a puzzle boss where I would assume you can't even win by just shooting, and then there's only the final boss left, and, well. I was going intoit with an inventory literally full of weapons and ammo, and then I just needed to blast it with all the rockets I had and shoot a couple of magnum rounds. How lame. What're all those ammo caches even for?!

Oh well, despite some frustrations with fighting the big man in very small spaces, fun game. I think I like RE2 a bit more, but we'll see how I feel about this one once I inevitably replay it.

Glad you got through it. It really is a fun game to play. Definitely play some Mad Jackyl because it is surprisingly fun for what it is and playing re3 with an unlimited Machine gun is always amazing

Let me know how RE4 and 5 play. I've been wanting them on my steam library but lack of funds have made it hard for me to pull the trigger...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Amppelix posted:

RE3 is at its hardest in the beginning for exactly the reasons you stated. By the way, you can take out Nemesis in the trash dump by shooting him. He just collapses and his head falls off (haha) presumably from his acid bath in the cutscene.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I have an urge to get a Playstation VR set to play Resident Evil 7 at launch, do you think thats wise?

It sounded like people got real sick during the original demo in vr

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
being an early adopter of any kind of technology is unwise

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The minecart segment of RE4 is just so hilariously weird, and a very easy way to bag some extra cash.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

being an early adopter of any kind of technology is unwise

This. Version 2 of any technology is going to be vastly superior to version 1. See: the original Ipad

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Dead Factory was a pretty good final level. (And I love its name!). It wasn't as iconic as Resident Evil 2's GIGANTIC underground lab, but it made up for it with an opressive and creepy atmosphere. You're surrounded by machines meant to dispose of and/or create zombies.

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
So I've got Rev2 and Rev1 sitting in my back catalogue. Rev2 got enough support here that I'm reasonably confident it's worth my time, but should I bother with Rev1? Or should I just skip it and stick with the sequel. I'll be playing both single player and I'm hoping to get some mileage out of Raid mode as well as the campaign.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rev 1 is pretty good, its biggest failing is that it started life as a 3DS game and you can still tell.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ProofsNRefutations posted:

So I've got Rev2 and Rev1 sitting in my back catalogue. Rev2 got enough support here that I'm reasonably confident it's worth my time, but should I bother with Rev1? Or should I just skip it and stick with the sequel. I'll be playing both single player and I'm hoping to get some mileage out of Raid mode as well as the campaign.

I actually like the Raid mode and campaign from Rev 1 alot more than Rev 2. So there is that.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I thought the character variation for Raid mode in 1 was a lot better than 2. It's a little thing, but the characters having unique melee animations adds a lot and basically everyone in 2 shares the same attacks.

I liked the bomb goon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

I thought the character variation for Raid mode in 1 was a lot better than 2. It's a little thing, but the characters having unique melee animations adds a lot and basically everyone in 2 shares the same attacks.

I liked the bomb goon.

Raid 1 felt a bit more natural and not as predictable as Raid 2 was. Raid 2 basically was kill 5 enemies, wait for more enemies to spawn in, kill 4 more enemies and pick up 3 chests on every map.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rev1 is a resident evil game, but is otherwise unexceptional. rev2 has gameplay that is merely okay at best, but the writing is great. now you will have to excuse me, i have to go get struck by lightning because i said a re game has great writing.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Are you trying to say that Rev 1 didn't have good writing? Aside from the story being a little disjointed, I'd say it might be the most well-written RE game. Hell, I don't think there was a new character from it I didn't like. (Don't get me wrong, I loved Rev 2, but it mostly relied on appeals to nostalgia.) I'd really like to see Parker in something else, but I hope they at least bring back Quint and Keith at some point.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the takeaway here is that you should play both.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Son Ryo posted:

Are you trying to say that Rev 1 didn't have good writing? Aside from the story being a little disjointed, I'd say it might be the most well-written RE game. Hell, I don't think there was a new character from it I didn't like. (Don't get me wrong, I loved Rev 2, but it mostly relied on appeals to nostalgia.) I'd really like to see Parker in something else, but I hope they at least bring back Quint and Keith at some point.

The first Revelations is interesting to me because it's a story about an elaborate, behind-the-scenes conspiracy that you gradually unravel a bit at a time, but it also becomes obvious pretty early on that the conspiracy in question was not particularly well-designed, and that it blew up on the runway about ten minutes after initiation. It's an interesting approach, although there are some loose bits.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

The first Revelations is interesting to me because it's a story about an elaborate, behind-the-scenes conspiracy that you gradually unravel a bit at a time, but it also becomes obvious pretty early on that the conspiracy in question was not particularly well-designed, and that it blew up on the runway about ten minutes after initiation. It's an interesting approach, although there are some loose bits.

So it's a Resident Evil game?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
part of the story is that there are three identical cruise ships, all of them packed with lobster men

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kibayasu posted:

So it's a Resident Evil game?

Well, yes and no.

Wesker's conspiracies are notable for how they all almost always come back around to his benefit somehow, right up until the game in which they don't, and RE6 is centered around a conspiracy that many of the main characters don't realize is there at all.

Since this conversation began due to someone who hasn't played the game yet, I won't dip into spoilers, but it's a game about somebody coming up with an admittedly clever plan, but he's not good at it, it blows up in his face, and everyone involved scrambles like mad to make up the difference. I found it perversely refreshing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

part of the story is that there are three identical cruise ships, all of them packed with lobster men

Resident Evil is so goddamn good.

Wanderer posted:

Wesker's conspiracies are notable for how they all almost always come back around to his benefit somehow, right up until the game in which they don't, and RE6 is centered around a conspiracy that many of the main characters don't realize is there at all.

I still firmly believe that Wesker never actually planned poo poo, and always just pretended he did after the fact.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Plus Revelations 1 had Grinder and Jackass, a shame those 2 didn't get their own game after that.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I like that apparently Quint/Jackass was the one who designed Barry's new Samurai Edge in Rev2.

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the takeaway here is that you should play both.

Yep, seems that way. Between the two of them they should last me a good long while.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Glad I didn't pre-order RE5 back in the day.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 6, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I can't help but see "MAH BOI" captioned on that pic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Glad I didn't pre-order RE5 back in the day.

Kyle Reese???

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Kyle Reese???

"Durrr cum wiv me if u wun tuh live."

I mean look at his face. He looks like one of the things he fights.

Edit:

(Look, it's somewhat organised now!)
So, uh, that's my stuff by the end of RE4 on Pro (or at least it's just before I send that rocket right into Saddler's dumb mutated eyeball-housing gob), thus ending my dumb little experiment. You can even see how much I didn't use magnums :v:

Can't say that ammo or cash was a problem outside of very early on, which was up to and including the initial village skirmish with Salvador. After that I was drip-fed more than enough munitions to kill everything and the gold kept piling up without me even realising to the point where I could upgrade all of the above weapons completely, with the obvious exceptions of the Exclusive upgrades. Maybe I was just too efficient with all the kicking and suplexing poo poo everywhere? The only notable ammo sinks were all of the Gigante fights (I also refused to dunk one of the duo in the lava out of principle, and stupidity I suppose), and Big Cheese Mendes. Verdugo and Salazar got a rocket each, such was the ridiculous surplus of gold, so gently caress them. U-3 ("It") was -- as always -- a tedious affair and got the most magnum use out of me.

P.S. Krauser just loving sucks and even hit himself with his own grenade on this occasion, which I wish I'd recorded.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That's about how a good Pro run is supposed to go if you're knifing and suplexing at every opportunity, even potentially ill ones. The only big difference between that and mine is that I usually end up getting the Striker and the 100 round upgrade by the end.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Why the Blacktail? You get it so late and it doesn't offer anything over the other handgun choices

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why not the blacktail? some pistols are better than others but if you have a giant arsenal it doesn't matter much.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

You get the blacktail at the same time that you get the Riot Gun. Also, I think the blacktail shoots the fastest out of all of them and has the highest DPS.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

You get the blacktail at the same time that you get the Riot Gun. Also, I think the blacktail shoots the fastest out of all of them and has the highest DPS.

Highest DPS is the Red 9 but yea the blacktail shoots the fastest.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

blackguy32 posted:

oh for some reason I thought you got it around the same time as the Striker, hmm I'm gonna have to play this game again to remind myself of what is where. Although I still feel that the Mine Layer is way superior to the TMP but that's just personal preference for exploding things

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I picked the Blacktail because everyone uses the Red 9 and after using it myself so many times in the GameCube days I'm sick of it :v:

Besides that though, real reasons are the silly capacity (35) and rate of fire, combined with a pretty punchy firepower of 3.2. And of course it only takes up 3x2, as opposed to the 4x2 + 1x3 of the Red 9 + Stock; this gives me more room for carrying more dumb poo poo around, like Incendiary Grenades and Magnum Ammo that I like to stockpile for no reason.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I picked the Blacktail because everyone uses the Red 9 and after using it myself so many times in the GameCube days I'm sick of it :v:

Besides that though, real reasons are the silly capacity (35) and rate of fire, combined with a pretty punchy firepower of 3.2. And of course it only takes up 3x2, as opposed to the 4x2 + 1x3 of the Red 9 + Stock; this gives me more room for carrying more dumb poo poo around, like Incendiary Grenades and Magnum Ammo that I like to stockpile for no reason.

Its actually 4.5 with the exclusive on the PS4.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

Its actually 4.5 with the exclusive on the PS4.
Yeah, but I didn't get any of the exclusives on this run.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom has some kind of weird Resident Evil 7 Complete Edition thing but only in Japan, and it's $160 US.

The running theme for it is the five senses. There are actual rosemary and green herb seeds bundled for you to plant and smell, a deck of playing cards from the game to touch, a mug from the game to taste from, a special vinyl of 5 arranged "theme songs"(?) to listen to, and the entire collection comes in this 40cm dirty sack of 'CREAN COFFEE' for you to put on your head to rob you of your sight. Also there's a behind the scenes document book and the game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I will probably love Resident Evil forever.