Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Could you not just SV a pouch of flour at sufficiently high temperature?

Unless you can open it and do all the mixing in a clean room, it won't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, true.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made it with pasteurized eggs (pasteurized via sous vide) for my pregnant wife years ago, but now the FDA says not even raw flour is safe. If you try to cook the cookie dough low and slow the butter fat is going to melt and god knows what will happen to the texture of the dough. But I'm not sure how you would pasteurize the flour by itself.

Just bake the flour at like 220 for 10 minutes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

Just bake the flour at like 220 for 10 minutes.

But then it will come out into a non-sterile environment!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

But then it will come out into a non-sterile environment!

Just do all your mixing in the oven via insulated metal gloves cutout through the top, problem solved.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just use one of these:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Whiskey Sours posted:

Botulism spores (bad bad bad) thrive in a warm (but not hot) environment (that is also low oxygen and low acidity). This is why you're supposed to dunk your cooked steak sacks into ice water if you're not going to sear and serve them right away.

The center of a leg of lamb cooked sous vide will take a long time to rise above the ~dangerzone~, increasing the opportunity for your roast to become tainted with Botox.

Uhhhh, exactly how do botulism spores find themselves in the center of a leg of lamb?

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 20, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

spankmeister posted:

Just use one of these:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Whiskey Sours posted:

The center of a leg of lamb cooked sous vide will take a long time to rise above the ~dangerzone~, increasing the opportunity for your roast to become tainted with Botox.

How in the heck are there botulinum bacteria on the *interior* of your giant chunk of meat? If the center of your roast is contaminated with soilborne organisms something has gone very, very wrong.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phanatic posted:

How in the heck are there botulinum bacteria on the *interior* of your giant chunk of meat? If the center of your roast is contaminated with soilborne organisms something has gone very, very wrong.

I use my golf cleats like a jaccard.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Horse Clocks posted:

Tried a whole shoulder of lamb sousvide.

Smelled a bit weird when I got it out of the bag it came in. Packaging said "it might smell, let it air out" .

Let it air out, then sealed it up and vizzled it for 12 hours.

The foul smell permeated the whole joint. Did not eat.

Moral of story: don't buy British lamb from a supermarket. NZ lamb or decent butchers only.

Steve Yun posted:

Was it bone in

Horse Clocks posted:

I think so. It was a while ago. All I remember was the taste.
Next questions:
2) Did you vacuum bag it?
3) Was there a lot of fat on it?
4) Did your packaging for the lamb inflate at all after you cooked it?

It's entirely possible that it was actually safe, and that the funk was a combination of the bone marrow (which turns funkay in sous vide, especially when vacuumed, since the vacuuming encourages the marrow coming out of the bone, and that funk mixing with the general funkiness of lamb. I'm told that the fat in lamb is where most of the funk is, leg of lamb definitely needs to be trimmed to avoid that smell, and I can't remember if shoulder had any fat to speak of. If your bag inflated after cooking, it was clearly bacterial but if not I'm leaning towards it being extra-gamey. I've had some ox-tail that straight up tasted like farts after cooking sous vide, like there was a hose going straight from someone's butt into my mouth.

How to avoid this? Use ziploc bags (or hit "seal" on your Foodsaver well before it gets to its maximum vacuum level), trim any huge blobs of fat.

Phanatic posted:

It's not botulinum.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 20, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
According to my trusted Turkish butcher where I get my lamb, the fat is indeed what you need to trim. Unless you like gamey lamb.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Hopper posted:

According to my trusted Turkish butcher where I get my lamb, the fat is indeed what you need to trim. Unless you like gamey lamb.

That is true on a lot of of the gamey meats. The big one I know that is best super lean is venison.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I find vac pack meats, even sliced salami and such, often have a funky smell when you open them. I got a rack of lamb that smelled weird on unsealing but was fine after cooking.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
pre-marinated Hormel teriyaki pork tenderloin
135.5F for 4.5h
seared on cast iron, then used searzall for a few minutes

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I've been using those recently (on sale) for days when I won't have a ton of time to cook.

They're not bad.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

You ate it?

A few bites. Then I ate around the lamb.

The other night I forgot about a chicken breast and vizzled it for nearly 6 hours. At this point it was 11pm so I ice bathed it and chucked in the fridge to warm up on a frying pan the next day.

Ate a bite of that and it just fell to mush in my mouth. That was even more unpleasant than the vaguely rotten tasting lamb.

Steve Yun posted:

Next questions:
2) Did you vacuum bag it?
3) Was there a lot of fat on it?
4) Did your packaging for the lamb inflate at all after you cooked it?

...snip...

How to avoid this? Use ziploc bags (or hit "seal" on your Foodsaver well before it gets to its maximum vacuum level), trim any huge blobs of fat.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was just a particularly funky smelling bit of meat. And it was a while ago now that I honestly can't remember it's composition.

I'll give lamb another crack soon, but will do a rolled joint, not bone-in.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 4, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Horse Clocks posted:

The other night I forgot about a chicken breast and vizzled it for nearly 6 hours. At this point it was 11pm so I ice bathed it and chucked in the fridge to warm up on a frying pan the next day.

Ate a bite of that and it just fell to mush in my mouth. That was even more unpleasant than the vaguely rotten tasting lamb.

I'm gonna update the FAQ/OP because this has popped up often enough. The only meats that should be cooked for hours and hours are ones that are high in connective tissue. Chicken breast and other meats that aren't tough will turn into paste when they're cooked more than a few hours.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm gonna update the FAQ/OP because this has popped up often enough. The only meats that should be cooked for hours and hours are ones that are high in connective tissue. Chicken breast and other meats that aren't tough will turn into paste when they're cooked more than a few hours.

Yeah maybe just address the general myth that you can't overcook food in it.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah maybe just address the general myth that you can't overcook food in it.

If I hear "so I can just start it in the morning and dinner's ready when I get home?" one more time I'll... complain about it on the internet I guess. There's something about sous vide that makes people decide that it's a slow cooker and they will not be dissuaded.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

hogmartin posted:

If I hear "so I can just start it in the morning and dinner's ready when I get home?" one more time I'll... complain about it on the internet I guess. There's something about sous vide that makes people decide that it's a slow cooker and they will not be dissuaded.

That something is the way that people describe sous vide cooking as being impossible to overcook.

quote:

That feeling you get when you spend $$$ on a piece of premium beef, only to cut into it and reveal that you've accidentally overcooked it, is not an easy one to shake. Sous vide will prevent you from ever feeling that way again. With sous vide, the doneness of a steak is directly correlated to the temperature at which you cook it. Set that cooker to 130°F and you're guaranteed a medium-rare steak, no matter your experience level.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Cross post: Sous vide Akaushi filet with a twice baked sweet potato and broccoli:

Good stuff ... There's a butcher right next to my office that has a pretty steady supply of Akaushi for very reasonable prices so I'll definitely be getting more of it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nice!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Acceptable.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Got a chuck roast in the vizzle and am thinking about finishing it in the smoker once its time in the water is done.

It is at 134 right now and I was going to let it cook for 48 hours, but I could pull it at any time and get it in the smoker. Any suggestions or tips?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why not just straight up smoke it? If you SV it, any additional time spent cooking is just going to make it overcooked.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The last time this came up:

SubG posted:

Interesting. Smoke first, then sous vide? I guess you get a legit smoke ring that way.

Yeah, smoke ring formation drops off as the meat is heated and effectively stops entirely by the time the meat hits around 140 F.

For most meats this means that you can pretty much finish in the oven or puddle machine without any meaningful change in quality. I think brisket is a counterexample, as you just won't get as good bark formation this way. A lot of people actually seem to prefer less bark, though. Like the bark in the Chefsteps photos looks pretty sad to me, but they're apparently happy with it so whatever.

Really the major advantage that I can see to doing a brisket s-v is that you can get away with using a l'il trimmed brisket without worrying about it drying out. Well, I guess ya pretty much have to use a trimmed brisket. Like when I run the smoker I pretty much never do less than about 15# of meat, and typically do 20# or more. None of the common consumer-grade puddle sticks are really up to cooking that much at a time.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

namaste faggots posted:

Why not just straight up smoke it? If you SV it, any additional time spent cooking is just going to make it overcooked.

Yup, done that recently. Just spitballing on how to finish the roast and looking for an excuse to fire up the smoker on these rainy days I think.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The last time this came up:

Yeah, smoke ring formation drops off as the meat is heated and effectively stops entirely by the time the meat hits around 140 F.

For most meats this means that you can pretty much finish in the oven or puddle machine without any meaningful change in quality. I think brisket is a counterexample, as you just won't get as good bark formation this way. A lot of people actually seem to prefer less bark, though. Like the bark in the Chefsteps photos looks pretty sad to me, but they're apparently happy with it so whatever.

Really the major advantage that I can see to doing a brisket s-v is that you can get away with using a l'il trimmed brisket without worrying about it drying out. Well, I guess ya pretty much have to use a trimmed brisket. Like when I run the smoker I pretty much never do less than about 15# of meat, and typically do 20# or more. None of the common consumer-grade puddle sticks are really up to cooking that much at a time.

Thanks! I thought this topic had been discussed recently.

qutius fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 5, 2016

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

So I've had my ANOVA for a year or so now and have had success making just about everything I've thrown at it, but I feel like my sear game is lacking.

I see all these pictures of beautiful medium rare steaks with paper thin mallaird crusts that I just can't seem to produce. My steaks always have a good 3-4 mm or so of brown under the crust.

I've got a cast iron pan and a grill I can use to get it rocket hot, now I just need to learn how to apply them for optimal results.

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011

Epiphyte posted:

So I've had my ANOVA for a year or so now and have had success making just about everything I've thrown at it, but I feel like my sear game is lacking.

I see all these pictures of beautiful medium rare steaks with paper thin mallaird crusts that I just can't seem to produce. My steaks always have a good 3-4 mm or so of brown under the crust.

I've got a cast iron pan and a grill I can use to get it rocket hot, now I just need to learn how to apply them for optimal results.

Do you pre-sear? They had a video up on Chefsteps, where they show the benefit of pre-searing steaks first, then cooking sous vide and then searing very briefly. Maybe this will help?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Epiphyte posted:

I've gotten the best results from either a chimney starter and grill grate, or a cast iron pan pre-heated in the oven to 500F for 15-20 minutes or so. It also helps to make sure that the exterior of the steaks are as dry as possible. I also have better luck with fattier cuts like ribeyes than I do with leaner ones.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Check Kenji's Anova recipe for tenderloin steak, IIRC it has good instructions for searing. I thnk it was 1.5 minutes total sear time for all sides in total, switching sides every 10-15 seconds. It worked amazingly well for me when I did it that way.
Also when the pan is smoking, drop in some butter immediately before putting in the steak, the milk protein helps with crust building.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A lot of people have been recommending the "flip every 20 seconds" thing. Did it start with Harold McGee?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

A lot of people have been recommending the "flip every 20 seconds" thing. Did it start with Harold McGee?

I think he recommended turning it frequently, maybe every minute. I think it was Kenji who got it down to 20 seconds.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've always done my SV pork shoulder steaks ~140 for 2-3 hours as the great and holy kenji suggests, but I just ran across chefsteps saying to cook an entire shoulder at 140 for 24 hours then cutting it into steaks.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/pork-steaks

I wonder if I should try 140 for 24 hours on my steaks? They're about 2" thick

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

I think he recommended turning it frequently, maybe every minute. I think it was Kenji who got it down to 20 seconds.

Heston had a video about it ages ago.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

deimos posted:

Heston had a video about it ages ago.

Here's the video for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhOV89EQtJs

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Umm... Safeway delivered me somebody elses' pork chops and top sirloin steaks

I called and they would not send the driver back out to pick them up, probably a food tampering issue I imagine.

Steaks I can muddle through, but pork chops? Any recommendations?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Vizzle all the meats, rare pork is kickass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

drukqs posted:

Steaks I can muddle through, but pork chops? Any recommendations?

Pork chops are fantastic sous vide, especially if they're thick and bone-in. I usually do 140 for 1-2 hours. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-pork-chops.html