Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

kim jong-illin posted:

Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse

Hmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

angor posted:

London goons I need help!

Meeting some friends in London tonight. Doing drinks at Hawksmoor Seven Dials then dinner. We were planning on going to Native for dinner, but we're going to be 6-7 people and they only have room for 4 tonight. I live somewhere where culinary creativity barely exists, so I was looking for something interesting around that area for 6-7 people. Smoking Goat was on my radar but I'm vegetarian (the only one in our party) and that will have almost nothing for me. Was thinking maybe Dishoom but trying to stay away from Indian. Any other ideas?
Hmm, make your way up to Fitzrovia and try Foley's for example. That are tends to be a little less busy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I'm finally heading on vacation (the first one in four years, and the first one where I alone get to set the itinerary), and I'm heading to London.

I have a layover for about 11 hours as I switch airports (I'm heading to Poland for a week for a cousin's wedding, then I'll be back after that for a week again). My original plan was just to head straight from Heathrow to Luton, but since I found out there are services that'll watch your baggage for a few hours, I might avail myself to some of the city. The trip should take me to Paddington station and St. Pancras, and I was hoping to at least get some breakfast or lunch options (or even a good coffee place). My arrival's at 6:30 and I take off again at 5pm.

I'll be with a family member on that week back, but as for the 11 hours, he's out of the country, and I'm left up to my own devices.

I'm not particularly picky. I was there four years ago for a week with my dad and the one day we walked around town, we ended up having dinner at... the Texas Embassy. Can't complain too much, since they at least had Japanese whisky on the menu. (My dad's not really the kind of person who actually seeks out things. He was honestly surprised as to what a kebab was).

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Lots of good options around St Pancras. Dishoom, Caravan and German Gymnasium all do fantastic food from breakfast right through to dinner. My pick would be Dishoom for breakfast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

My pick would be Dishoom for breakfast.

Seconded.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sweek0 posted:

Hmm, make your way up to Fitzrovia and try Foley's for example. That are tends to be a little less busy.

Thanks! Hawksmoor ended up being totally booked up, so we wandered around and ended up getting a table at Shakfuyu which was excellent :D.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Lots of good options around St Pancras. Dishoom, Caravan and German Gymnasium all do fantastic food from breakfast right through to dinner. My pick would be Dishoom for breakfast.

That is far and away so different from the usual places near where I live that I'm already incredibly sold. I'm looking at the menu and I know I'm gonna have a hell of a time deciding.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mojo1701a posted:

That is far and away so different from the usual places near where I live that I'm already incredibly sold. I'm looking at the menu and I know I'm gonna have a hell of a time deciding.

Dishoom brekkie is a right of passage in London. You won't regret it!

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Any particular recommendations for moderately-priced (~10-20 pounds/plate) restaurants within a 25 minute walk of the City? Particularly somewhere that would be suitable for not very adventurous eaters.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

mmm11105 posted:

Any particular recommendations for moderately-priced (~10-20 pounds/plate) restaurants within a 25 minute walk of the City? Particularly somewhere that would be suitable for not very adventurous eaters.

There are so many options. What kind of cuisine do you have in mind? You can easily walk up to Shoreditch and Hoxton in 10 minutes which have plenty of good restaurants.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

mmm11105 posted:

Vanilla Black. Nothing too out there despite being inventive. They have a prix fixe.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Theophany posted:

Dishoom brekkie is a right of passage in London. You won't regret it!

I just need to confirm then one thing:

Should I expect to see tons of (usually overweight) people wearing at least one item of camouflage and/or Bass Pro Shops (or generic trucker) hats?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

mojo1701a posted:

I just need to confirm then one thing:

Should I expect to see tons of (usually overweight) people wearing at least one item of camouflage and/or Bass Pro Shops (or generic trucker) hats?

Everyone is dressed like this

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Disinterested posted:

Everyone is dressed like this

That's still nicer than what I was imagining

Last time I try being a smartass in this thread.

Joke's on you, though. If I can figure out how, I'll move there in a year, open a restaurant featuring authentic Canadian suburban/rural cuisine experience (read: the blandest, most white-bread food possible, plus watery beer, and imported Tim Hortons coffee!), while charging £30 per dish.

On an actual serious note, are there any good coffee shops that ideally make fresh coffee around the aforementioned Paddington/King's Cross areas? If I have to fight off jet lag, I'd like to do it with some really good coffee (bonus points if I can buy a small batch of fresh-roasted beans off of them, too).

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

mojo1701a posted:

That's still nicer than what I was imagining

Last time I try being a smartass in this thread.

Joke's on you, though. If I can figure out how, I'll move there in a year, open a restaurant featuring authentic Canadian suburban/rural cuisine experience (read: the blandest, most white-bread food possible, plus watery beer, and imported Tim Hortons coffee!), while charging £30 per dish.

On an actual serious note, are there any good coffee shops that ideally make fresh coffee around the aforementioned Paddington/King's Cross areas? If I have to fight off jet lag, I'd like to do it with some really good coffee (bonus points if I can buy a small batch of fresh-roasted beans off of them, too).

Caravan is just around the corner from Dishoom at Granary Square and is exactly that. I don't know if you can buy beans from them there though or if its only from their roasters.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Amused Frog posted:

Caravan is just around the corner from Dishoom at Granary Square and is exactly that. I don't know if you can buy beans from them there though or if its only from their roasters.

All Caravan venues sell their beans.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I'm meeting my brother in Poland (he's only going there), and for some reason, he insists on bringing coffee implements but will be using store-bought beans.

I figured London has a much bigger coffee roasting scene than southeast Poland, so thanks for the info.

Amused Frog posted:

I looked at Caravan, but I'd forgotten about them. Thanks for reminding me!

I also just remembered that my one other stop was on Jermyn St. to look for a new shaving brush, and if there's anything in the Piccadilly/St. James's area, that could also be an option.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yep, Caravan. And Noble Espresso is great for an on the go coffee around King's Cross.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mojo1701a posted:

I'm meeting my brother in Poland (he's only going there), and for some reason, he insists on bringing coffee implements but will be using store-bought beans.

I figured London has a much bigger coffee roasting scene than southeast Poland, so thanks for the info.

I looked at Caravan, but I'd forgotten about them. Thanks for reminding me!

I also just remembered that my one other stop was on Jermyn St. to look for a new shaving brush, and if there's anything in the Piccadilly/St. James's area, that could also be an option.

Department of Coffee and Social Affairs is on Air St, I think, very near Piccadilly Circus.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

There's also Carpo on piccadilly. They're a bit touristy, and the age of their roast is dubious at best, but they're usually reasonably consistent with quality.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Fortnum and Mason do alright coffee/tea but you're almost certainly better off grabbing a bag from Caravan.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I stumbled across NY Fold on Charing Cross Road. A really solid slice of pizza, reasonably priced, a surprising rarity in London. It's no (insert favourite sourdough pizza place here), but it hit the spot.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

reality_groove posted:

I stumbled across NY Fold on Charing Cross Road. A really solid slice of pizza, reasonably priced, a surprising rarity in London. It's no (insert favourite sourdough pizza place here), but it hit the spot.

I had a slice from there a while with caramelised onions that I'd swear were sweetened. It was gross and I didn't finish it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

therattle posted:

I had a slice from there a while with caramelised onions that I'd swear were sweetened. It was gross and I didn't finish it.

You can't get that full American experience if there isn't excess unnecessary sugar!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

reality_groove posted:

I felt it was rather uninspiring. Especially their more complicated slices.

Their margarita is the best, but ultimately lacks the best factor of dollar slice. Cheap, tasty and amazing when drunk.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I guess Homeslice is the best we have?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think Voodoo Ray's is decent.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Ideas for an affordable (cheaper than, say, Rotorino or Bocca) but special-feeling Mediterranean place? Anniversary time is coming up but it's been an expensive year so we can't justify a splurge. Preferably North/Central/slightly East. Bonus points for affordable cocktails.

e: I say Mediterranean as a deliberately broad category as we usually end up doing some sort of Asian cuisine and fancy something else. Probably not Turkish though as we're in Harringay so have that a lot as well.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 30, 2016

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Bollock Monkey posted:

Ideas for an affordable (cheaper than, say, Rotorino or Bocca) but special-feeling Mediterranean place? Anniversary time is coming up but it's been an expensive year so we can't justify a splurge. Preferably North/Central/slightly East. Bonus points for affordable cocktails.

e: I say Mediterranean as a deliberately broad category as we usually end up doing some sort of Asian cuisine and fancy something else. Probably not Turkish though as we're in Harringay so have that a lot as well.

Berber & Q is fantastic for that food, but might be no reservations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fig and olive on upper Street has a nice atmosphere, decent food and is affordable

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know how much longer it's around for, but pop up supper club Chicken of the Woods at Hornsey Town Hall blew my socks off tonight. Seven courses, a G&T and a couple of glasses of wine for £55 inc service. The food was spectacular and the menu changes every week depending on what is available.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'd say have a peak at photos to see if it's your kind of thing, but for Greek food Lemonia on primrose hill is very affordable, nice venue, and the friendliest waitstaff you'll ever meet.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

I'd say have a peak at photos to see if it's your kind of thing, but for Greek food Lemonia on primrose hill is very affordable, nice venue, and the friendliest waitstaff you'll ever meet.

It got an absolute rinsing in the Independent a couple of years ago. Should I pay that no heed?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Go to Oklava instead and die happy.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Anyone recommend a decent spot for a blind date near Waterloo-ish? Thinking coffee... The map in the OP doesn't have anywhere particularly close.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bollock Monkey posted:

Depends on what you mean by 'special feeling.' Because by far and away the absolute best Mediterranean food I've had in London is at Oregano's on Finchley Road. Everything tastes like you're sat in the town square in Amalfi in July.

It's not fancy inside, it's not expensive, it's nothing to look at from the outside. It's probably a bit of travel hassle if you don't drive, mind. Us NW* types are rather tribal with our German motors.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 5, 2016

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Theophany posted:

Depends on what you mean by 'special feeling.' Because by far and away the absolute best Mediterranean food I've had in London is at Oregano's on Finchley Road. Everything tastes like you're sat in the town square in Amalfi in July.

It's not fancy inside, it's not expensive, it's nothing to look at from the outside. It's probably a bit of travel hassle if you don't drive, mind. Us NW* types are rather tribal with our German motors.

The pizza place? My gf is moving near there soon. Couldn't look more basic from my brief googling but I love a hidden gem like that so I'll give it a whirl

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there somewhere I can signup for news about things like London Cocktail Week, Restaurant Month, etc? But so it's all in one place, rather than signing up for a bunch of individual newsletters that will poo poo up my inbox for the rest of the year.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Bollock Monkey posted:

There is apparently an awesome Italian place on hornsey high street up the road from dirty frypan (seasoned wok).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Anyone recommend a decent spot for a blind date near Waterloo-ish? Thinking coffee... The map in the OP doesn't have anywhere particularly close.

Scooter Cafe near Waterloo is cute and laid back. Also has cats!