Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

She's a boat, not a robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

She's a boat, not a robot

KanColle is such a terrible magical thing. They're anthropomorphic WWII-era warships because :circlefap:, I guess.

What makes it fascinatingly horrendous is most of the Japanese warships they're modeled and named after all committed some pretty horrific warcrimes against POW's, or just in general, during the course of WWII.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

coffeecup posted:

Oh oh yeah. That would be neat to see again. When it's the basis of a game like "learn the origin of Link's SWORD or his HAT" it kinda falls flat. I don't care why his clothing is green.

I'm not sure why, but it definitely works better as little self-contained story vignettes like "I'm a kid and I'm too sick to catch bugs, borrow my net for a bit so I can play outside vicariously."

It just gives the minor characters a little something more than "I'm just a guy that stands here all the time," which is why Majora's Mask is the best.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

KanColle is such a terrible magical thing. They're anthropomorphic WWII-era warships because :circlefap:, I guess.

What makes it fascinatingly horrendous is most of the Japanese warships they're modeled and named after all committed some pretty horrific warcrimes against POW's, or just in general, during the course of WWII.

The japanese government loves being in denial of the atrocities they committed in WWII, so naming cartoon characters after warships isn't a huge stretch.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This is a bit off-topic, but the new HBO show Westworld gives me a huge Majora's Mask vibe.

Basic premise, for those who don't know: It's a futuristic theme park with androids populating a wild-west town. They're basically artificially intelligent NPCs. Every few days the park's "narrative" resets (with killed androids coming back to life and so on), and depending on what the new wave of guests decide to do, the events the androids play out change. In the show they even refer to the looping events as "cycles".

It's also a really good show with a great cast and some really creepy mysteries set up in the first episode.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

^^^ Yeah I thought the exact same thing. It's totally unrelated to Zelda, but it's a show everyone should check out because the pilot was phenomenal.

I just gave Link's Awakening my first playthrough in years, and I love how meta and philosophical it is. Someone more dedicated than me could write a whole treatise on it. The whole thing can be read as a commentary on video games themselves, which only exist while you play them and whose worlds cease to be once you're done with the game. LA turns it literal.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hedrigall posted:

This is a bit off-topic, but the new HBO show Westworld gives me a huge Majora's Mask vibe.

Basic premise, for those who don't know: It's a futuristic theme park with androids populating a wild-west town. They're basically artificially intelligent NPCs. Every few days the park's "narrative" resets (with killed androids coming back to life and so on), and depending on what the new wave of guests decide to do, the events the androids play out change. In the show they even refer to the looping events as "cycles".

It's also a really good show with a great cast and some really creepy mysteries set up in the first episode.

Thanks for the heads up, never heard of this but I'm liking the premise. I'll definitely check it out now.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It's also a remake of a Michael Crichton film from the 70s so you don't even have to wait for the show to come out!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's also a remake of a Michael Crichton film from the 70s so you don't even have to wait for the show to come out!

That's what they said about 12 monkeys, but in the end the series went way further than the movie ever did. I'll check out this series, too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
One episode in and already the show is almost nothing like the 70s movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaksmndynT8

Huh, forest water insta-kills the plant boss in WW, who knew?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's cool, how did anyone even figure that out?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's cool, how did anyone even figure that out?

Apparently she was just messing around in a stream and a random person told her that the plant looked thirsty, so she emptied the forest water before going for the final blow. The next day she decided to record this video to see if it was actually the water that did it and now we have found a new secret.

Forest Water lasts longer on the HD version, right? maybe nobody found out because it's nearly impossible to get forest water all the way over there before it reverts to regular water.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently she was just messing around in a stream and a random person told her that the plant looked thirsty, so she emptied the forest water before going for the final blow. The next day she decided to record this video to see if it was actually the water that did it and now we have found a new secret.

Forest Water lasts longer on the HD version, right? maybe nobody found out because it's nearly impossible to get forest water all the way over there before it reverts to regular water.

Man, I wish that this was an in-story thing. Instead of hacking the plant to death, you just fight it long enough to purify it with holy water to prevent it spreading.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is absolutely incredible

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Wind Waker was so, so good. Of all the Zelda games, WW has just so many loving touches.

Also for my money the multihit boomerang in WW was the coolest boomerang in the series, or at least tied with the magic boomerang in the Oracle games.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wonder if that's just a bug or if it was intended. That's really cool regardless and I wonder if it'll effect speed runs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wonder if that's just a bug or if it was intended. That's really cool regardless and I wonder if it'll effect speed runs.

Oh, almost definitely. This is a boss instakill that only requires a single bottle swing of preparation, and the only limitation is time which is something they're masters of shaving down. I don't remember the Forest Haven speed route, but I'd find it hard to imagine it won't fit into it, especially for 100% (any% might not have a free bottle at that point, I don't know).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Apparently there's a way to kill the boss on its first cycle, but there's no way this wouldn't shave off a few seconds, plus it's ridiculously safw.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've decided to play all the Zelda games in order. I've never played the original Zelda for NES, somehow. Man is it hard. Gonna try to power through it (maybe grab a walkthrough?), because Zelda II is one of my favorite games ever.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RCarr posted:

I've decided to play all the Zelda games in order. I've never played the original Zelda for NES, somehow. Man is it hard. Gonna try to power through it (maybe grab a walkthrough?), because Zelda II is one of my favorite games ever.

If you can beat Zelda II then you can beat Zelda I.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, I've played Zelda II so many times I can do it by memory. The overworld in Zelda I just seems so vast and confusing if you've never played it before. I've just been wandering around and dying a lot. I've managed to find two heart containers and get the White Sword so far.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The sacred water thing is so amazing. How many millions of times have people played through wind waker and no one ever knew?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

greatn posted:

The sacred water thing is so amazing. How many millions of times have people played through wind waker and no one ever knew?

What is the sacred water thing?

Edit: Nvm, I missed it.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

greatn posted:

This isn't new though. I specifically remember reading it in a guide somewhere.

I mean, I'm pretty drat sure I did anyway.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sprite141 posted:

This isn't new though. I specifically remember reading it in a guide somewhere.

I mean, I'm pretty drat sure I did anyway.

Speedrunners would have been using it, if that was the case.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

This is like the Deku stuck kill on Jabu Jabu's sub-boss, except it makes sense as a story thing too!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Which game leaves you feeling "most powerful" when you've finished collecting all the equipment/upgrades? I'm replaying Link Between Worlds on Hero Mode and I'm almost done, and it feels like I'm a total walking tank with all the upgrades.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Majora's Mask, hands down.

Edit: The Fierce Deity Mask basically turns you into a God. You are practically invincible with it.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 6, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Nope, it's the Oracle games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I always felt pretty powerful in Ocarina with the Biggoron's Sword.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Biggoron's Sword is even cooler in the Oracle games. It takes up both of your item slots!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Ometeotl posted:

Speedrunners would have been using it, if that was the case.

That boss can be killed in 1 cycle anyway which is faster.

Moriatti posted:

This is like the Deku stuck kill on Jabu Jabu's sub-boss, except it makes sense as a story thing too!

Isn't this because the Deku Stick just straight up does more damage than the Kokiri Sword? It's the same value as the Master Sword, so I bet you'd be able to pull the same thing off if you glitch into Jabu as an adult and jumpslash the Big Octo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RCarr posted:

Majora's Mask, hands down.

Edit: The Fierce Deity Mask basically turns you into a God. You are practically invincible with it.

Yeah, this. It goes a bit too far though since it makes the final boss a joke.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

canoshiz posted:

Isn't this because the Deku Stick just straight up does more damage than the Kokiri Sword? It's the same value as the Master Sword

Wait, seriously? The starter sword has worse damage than a literal stick?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes, and the crouch stab's damage value is set to the value of your last attack. So you can jump slash with a deku stick then do all of the damage as a child.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

canoshiz posted:

That boss can be killed in 1 cycle anyway which is faster.

There is no way it's faster to get all the sword hits off on the flower instead of a one-hit water pour. It's also safer to use the water, anyway.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

Yes, and the crouch stab's damage value is set to the value of your last attack. So you can jump slash with a deku stick then do all of the damage as a child.

Which is brutal because Ocarina Link just loving dive tackles someone and repeatedly stabs them while on the ground.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Deku stick's as strong as the Master Sword I believe, and the jump attack is double damage, so you can also look at it as the Deku Stick can be as strong as a swing from the Biggoron Sword. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Ometeotl posted:

There is no way it's faster to get all the sword hits off on the flower instead of a one-hit water pour. It's also safer to use the water, anyway.

I think it might not actually be that hard to one cycle that boss. Also it takes time to scoop up water, go through the dialogue and pour it out, probably more than it takes to do a few spin attacks.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 7, 2016