Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WrenP-Complete posted:

Rental kittens?

Sort of. They bring the kittens to you so you can play with them for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

hobbesmaster posted:

This is actually illegal in aviation - you can't chip in for gas for your buddy's cessna unless he has a commercial pilot's license.
Huh. Interesting. I guess you buy him a case of beer inst-- oh, wait.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Subjunctive posted:

Sort of. They bring the kittens to you so you can play with them for a bit.

Is that for real? That sounds pretty traumatic to the kittens. Cats hate travel.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's a regulatory issue at scale whether money changes hands or not. I want soup kitchens to be regulated for food safety, and 100-person church thanksgiving meals, and the grill pit at the fun fair at the local school as well. I want FEMA giving out meals in the wake of a hurricane to be regulated. And I want them to meet the same standards that are applied to commercial enterprises.

No one is saying otherwise. It is like you stumbled on the point people have been trying to make. Business means scale, but scale doesn't necessarily mean business.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BarbarianElephant posted:

Is that for real? That sounds pretty traumatic to the kittens. Cats hate travel.

It's for real, yeah. The cats are usually available for adoption, so I presume the local SPCA is on board. I haven't seen anyone lash out at Uber about animal cruelty.

There are similar programs for pet therapy at hospitals, though I think cats are no longer recommended for health risk reasons.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

That is a horrible idea for kittens and probably humans. That is a good way to spread roundworm.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There's a local business down here just outside LA that rents out dogs to offices full of stressed workers, so every few months your boss cna get 10 corgis to run around and give people a stress relief day. It's pretty popular, and you have to book 4-5 weeks in advance because basically every day of the week they have some dogs out and about.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boot and Rally posted:

No one is saying otherwise.

The post I was replying to originally was literally saying that things change inherently when money changes hands:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, and this keeps coming up in this thread, doing something for free is different from doing it for pay. The state doesn't regulate my giving a friend a ride in my beater car, or letting somebody sleep in my hoarder living room where there's no route to the door, or giving a friend chili I've refrigerated by letting it sit on the back porch. Those are all private actions. The state does regulate my running a commercial transport company, a lodging service, or a prepared-food service.

This is not a bad thing. There are many actions that change in quality between being done for free and being done for pay. I will leave those to the imagination of the reader.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We had these creepy death therapy cats at a facility I used to work in. The therapy cats would specifically go to elders who were about to pass away and sit with them. Spooky!

Then some researchers came and found out the cats could smell some change in the elders' breath (maybe ammonia) that was a leading indicator.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

The post I was replying to originally was literally saying that things change inherently when money changes hands:
And I'll stand by that. I'm not saying that only pay matters, I'm saying that both pay and scale matter.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

WrenP-Complete posted:

That is a horrible idea for kittens and probably humans. That is a good way to spread roundworm.

Though if it leads to a significant increase in cat adoptions it might be a plus. Less strain on local animal shelters, less cats that needed to be put down, etc. Who knows how many people might be willing to adopt a cat and be decent cat owners if someone handed them a kitten for a few hours.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Huh. Interesting. I guess you buy him a case of beer inst-- oh, wait.
There's a variety of cases where society moves pretty quickly from "unregulated social interaction" to "regulated activity". Chipping in for snacks at board game night is fine, chipping in for snacks at poker night is illegal (at least where I am). Buying people drinks at a bar is fine, buying people drinks at a club you've rented with a banquet permit is illegal. I'm not convinced there's really a coherent philosophy behind it in most areas (even if the regulations are individually good), just whatever legislators that year thought needed regulating.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

twodot posted:

There's a variety of cases where society moves pretty quickly from "unregulated social interaction" to "regulated activity". Chipping in for snacks at board game night is fine, chipping in for snacks at poker night is illegal (at least where I am). Buying people drinks at a bar is fine, buying people drinks at a club you've rented with a banquet permit is illegal. I'm not convinced there's really a coherent philosophy behind it in most areas (even if the regulations are individually good), just whatever legislators that year thought needed regulating.

Yeah, I'm totally not defending "all business regulations are smart, relevant, and well-thought-out." I'm defending "business regulations are often a good thing and should apply to 'disruptive' businesses just as they apply to any other".

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Though if it leads to a significant increase in cat adoptions it might be a plus. Less strain on local animal shelters, less cats that needed to be put down, etc. Who knows how many people might be willing to adopt a cat and be decent cat owners if someone handed them a kitten for a few hours.

I realize now I meant ringworm, not roundworm, though your point is still a good one.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The kitten I got as a teenager scratched my dad and then disappeared with a flurry of fur under a chest of drawers for the next 2 days, only to be coaxed out with food & litter tray. I'm not sure how "try before you buy" would work with kittens. They aren't so cute when they are freaked out by car travel.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The kitten I got as a teenager scratched my dad and then disappeared with a flurry of fur under a chest of drawers for the next 2 days, only to be coaxed out with food & litter tray. I'm not sure how "try before you buy" would work with kittens. They aren't so cute when they are freaked out by car travel.
I know the last time they did it they were very up-front about how you had to make sure it was a properly contained area they couldn't possibly escape from. So I assume the worst has happened multiple times.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cats don't take to cars or travel the way dogs do but they also don't just stay perpetually freaked out forever and ever if you move them around a lot. Cats have weird cat autism and hate new situations but if certain types of new situation are the norm for them they won't freak out every single time or anything.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

cats don't take to cars or travel the way dogs do but they also don't just stay perpetually freaked out forever and ever if you move them around a lot. Cats have weird cat autism and hate new situations but if certain types of new situation are the norm for them they won't freak out every single time or anything.

Yea, I just moved my cat and while she was freaking out while being in the carrier, she calmed down after about 10 minutes, and then she hid under the couch at the new place for about an hour, then started exploring around and now she's happy as ever.

They're cats, they can't remember poo poo forever. As long as you're not constantly stressing them out, they will chill. And hell, when I first got her, she came right out of her box and headbutted right into my hand, no nervous freaking out about being in a new environment or anything. :3:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I would actually be more concerned about baby cat's immune systems. When I've volunteered with rescues, we've tried to limit how many people touch the kittens. But I am not a vet.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

I would actually be more concerned about baby cat's immune systems. When I've volunteered with rescues, we've tried to limit how many people touch the kittens. But I am not a vet.

I think when people are talking about adopting kittens, they really mean young cats who have had all their shots, not baby cats who are still suckling at their mother and unvaccinated.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The fall of unicorns: Goons care more about cat and kitten safety rather than about the crushing poverty of the gigconomy and the fart apps that power it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Most restaurants suck about this, especially small ones. I was put on a special non-dairy diet once for breastfeeding problems and it was lucky I wasn't actually allergic to dairy, because restaurants were completely incapable of comprehending that "no dairy" meant "no milk, no butter, no cheese." Some of them thought it meant "no eggs."

If I was really allergic, I would either not eat out at all, or only at wacky health-food type restaurants where they have experience with not contaminating food with allergens.

Yeah but at least in New York where I lived at the time, so long as when you told a restaurant that you had allergies they said 'well some of our food has that, so it might be cross contaminated' they could basically get away with causing you to go to the hospital. Because they give you that warning, food safety laws basically protect them... Meanwhile I was explicitly told by a friend who worked in a kitchen as a dishwasher that while they play up the whole ',heres our gluten free knife, and our no fish knife, and etc' for inspectors, they basically use every knife for every kind of food, constantly, all night, and don't give a gently caress beyond maybe rinsing the knife off, even if they just had cut open shellfish and was then preparing food for someone with a shellfish allergy.

Unlike these lovely places, I don't feel like I would be protected, and even if I was I would feel morally responsible if someone nearly died due to me regardless. So no one will subsize my cooking I suppose.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

fits my needs posted:

The fall of unicorns: Goons care more about cat and kitten safety rather than about the crushing poverty of the gigconomy and the fart apps that power it.

Well actually its about ethics in cat autism... :spergin:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah but at least in New York where I lived at the time, so long as when you told a restaurant that you had allergies they said 'well some of our food has that, so it might be cross contaminated' they could basically get away with causing you to go to the hospital. Because they give you that warning, food safety laws basically protect them... Meanwhile I was explicitly told by a friend who worked in a kitchen as a dishwasher that while they play up the whole ',heres our gluten free knife, and our no fish knife, and etc' for inspectors, they basically use every knife for every kind of food, constantly, all night, and don't give a gently caress beyond maybe rinsing the knife off, even if they just had cut open shellfish and was then preparing food for someone with a shellfish allergy.

Unlike these lovely places, I don't feel like I would be protected, and even if I was I would feel morally responsible if someone nearly died due to me regardless. So no one will subsize my cooking I suppose.

Fun fact: this is why people who keep kosher will insist that the fishmonger uses the board and knife that the customer brings *in front of them*, rather than taking it to the back. (In most major cities in the US, they know the drill.)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

this is just more evidence as to why new york city is poo poo because i've worked in restaurants for nine years around atlanta and everyone one of them took allergies and food safety very seriously. i've never worked in a kitchen where they would half rear end this and tell the customer to eat at their own peril because people can die. what the gently caress new york

on the other side not really sure what a 'gluten free knife' is. you tend not to cut things with gluten except with like bread knives anyway that are pointless for cooking

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

People think profit motive corrupts. We seem to agree that at large scale regulation is necessary. What you seem to be stuck on is small scale. The point I am trying to make is that the small scale economic actor is undifferentiated from the large scale actor, doubly so in terms of apps, so when people talk about money changing hands causing problems they are necessarily talking about the problems that exist at scale. Small groups of people acting out of charity (for example) don't a priori have the means to grow in scale so we don't see the problems of scale as necessarily transferring to small timers.

To put it another way: in business the problems which result in regulation are an intensive property. Big or small, the profit motive is there. For charity there isn't a universal rational for action. Hence, no one cares if you give away you leftovers but they do if you try to sell them.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

If there was a way for one guy to design an app that let him sell his sandwiches to anyone that downloaded it, I wouldn't have as much problem with it. I still want that guy to comply with relevant licensing and food safety laws, but it doesn't present the same level of second-level hazards that a sharing economy app does regardless of whether money is changing hands. (Although if this app did exist I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a money laundering front. But I digress.)

The problem is we aren't talking about that. We're talking about an app that's encouraging hundreds of small kitchens to start selling meals to thousands of end customers, with far less oversight and transparency than a traditional commercial kitchen would. It's not the money that causes the problems, it's the scale. And because of the generally lovely margins, there's no way this app would operate profitably except at scale. One off, inherently limited things like throwing a dinner party or making a sandwich for your girlfriend are not at all the same and thus aren't at all comparable.

Scale changes things. It's not the same as an individual action, but more so. Most actions are qualitatively different at scale. They cause different problems. And that's why they're regulated differently, not (usually) something inherently corrupting about commercial activity and the profit margin.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Boot and Rally posted:

People think profit motive corrupts.

It doesn't need to "corrupt" like a blizzard video game story. It's a different motivation with different goals. Success and failure are different for cooking my friend a pizza and selling a pizza.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It doesn't need to "corrupt" like a blizzard video game story. It's a different motivation with different goals. Success and failure are different for cooking my friend a pizza and selling a pizza.
It is a huge liability issue too, as things change dramatically from "I cooked some pizza for my friends" to "I sell pizza to my friends every night and oh poo poo I just poisoned 20 people." I am perfectly fine preventing certain behaviors simply to prevent an untenable liability situation, which home cooks are generally in no position to handle. If they are able to acquire liability insurance then GO HOG WILD (with obvious safety regulations also followed). But oh wait, then it would just be a loving business.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think a lot of this is looking at the general case of "Maybe we shouldn't weaken/remove safety regulations in order to let techlords tell investor storytimes and get billions of dollars" rather than any specific case where regulations may need a genuine review or whatever.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Nessus posted:

I think a lot of this is looking at the general case of "Maybe we shouldn't weaken/remove safety regulations in order to let techlords tell investor storytimes and get billions of dollars" rather than any specific case where regulations may need a genuine review or whatever.

It's more a fight between the techlords and the old guard big business. A fight between Uber and the yellow cab companies is not a fight between David and Goliath. Both sides are Goliath. The yellow cab companies don't get to win just because they got there first, despite Uber having a more convenient product. The competition forced the yellow cab companies to build an app; previously they couldn't care less. Consumers win. We don't have to stand on street corners waving desperately anymore, or phoning a cab company while praying that they would turn up in 45 minutes or so if they didn't get a better fare.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
making an app and being convenient isn't illegal though. taxi regulations do not state that taxis need to be inconvenient

the illegal part is treating your employees like contractors and purposely ignoring local taxi regulations

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Avoiding health and safety regulations, labor laws and licencing requirements then doing the exact same stuff other companies do isn't innovative.

Actually, do we have any apps yet that try and skirt around child labor laws yet? That seems like that would be a thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Avoiding health and safety regulations, labor laws and licencing requirements then doing the exact same stuff other companies do isn't innovative.

Actually, do we have any apps yet that try and skirt around child labor laws yet? That seems like that would be a thing.

One of the GOP candidates proposed one- I think it was called "Newtr"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's more a fight between the techlords and the old guard big business. A fight between Uber and the yellow cab companies is not a fight between David and Goliath. Both sides are Goliath. The yellow cab companies don't get to win just because they got there first, despite Uber having a more convenient product. The competition forced the yellow cab companies to build an app; previously they couldn't care less. Consumers win. We don't have to stand on street corners waving desperately anymore, or phoning a cab company while praying that they would turn up in 45 minutes or so if they didn't get a better fare.
I never had to do any of these things, so what good does all this ride-sharing poo poo do I, Nessus, other than the warm and fuzzy feeling that someone in California is making a billion dollars?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

It's more a fight between the techlords and the old guard big business.

The old guard business are operating within the regulatory frame work for a reason. Because 10-100 years ago, THEY were the ones engaging in lovely business practices like unsanitary food production*, running horrible flop houses and clogging the streets with cabs. The people complaining about techlords flouting regulations aren't complaining because they think that the old guard needs a blow job. They are complaining because we've been here before and we don't want to go back to the "good old days" of packaged meats containing rats and humans or taxi cabs clogging the streets of downtown leading to horrible congestion and finally a population collapse in cabs**. But, the problem with creating a business to operate within the regulatory framework is that the old guard has already established how to do that and you end up with high value add but low profitability things like simply making a phone app for the taxi companies and you can't get rich doing that.

* Doesn't anyone read The Jungle anymore?
** When Uber says its business model doesn't work without being able to quickly on board new drivers, this population collapse is what they are trying to avoid.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

So every current business is just a lazy old guard big business refusing to adopt new technology because reasons? Look, as others have pointed out, we had this battle. It's already over and we decided that we like having regulations and licenses and inspections, costly as they may be, since it improves all of our lives and increases our life expectancy. Skirting those and then pointing out that you can eek out a small profit in the margin by undercuting legitimate businesses is not innovative. Its insane and its dangerous.

No one here has a problem with embracing technology in general and smartphone capabilities specifically for convenience, but doing that while ignoring regulations and licenses that were generally put in place for a specific reason is a problem.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

hobbesmaster posted:

This is actually illegal in aviation - you can't chip in for gas for your buddy's cessna unless he has a commercial pilot's license.

This isn't quite true. For private pilots in the US you can accept money for transporting a friend around that does not exceed the cost that would be incurred flying them. This has to also be part of an actual joint effort, such as everyone flying to the same place on vacation. Soliciting fares in any way would require a commercial license as you mentioned.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Theranos one step closer to death.
https://news.theranos.com/2016/10/05/an-open-letter-elizabeth-holmes/

quote:

For our stakeholders,

After many months spent assessing our strengths and addressing our weaknesses, we have moved to structure our company around the model best aligned with our core values and mission.

We have decided to close our clinical labs and Theranos Wellness Centers, which will impact approximately 340 employees in Arizona, California, and Pennsylvania. We are profoundly grateful to these team members, many of whom have devoted years to Theranos and our mission, for their commitment to our company and our guests.

We will return our undivided attention to our miniLab platform. Our ultimate goal is to commercialize miniaturized, automated laboratories capable of small-volume sample testing, with an emphasis on vulnerable patient populations, including oncology, pediatrics, and intensive care.

We have a new executive team leading our work toward obtaining FDA clearances, building commercial partnerships, and pursuing publications in scientific journals.

We are fortunate to have supporters and investors who believe deeply in our mission of affordable, less invasive lab testing, and to have the runway to realize our vision.

I look forward to sharing more with you as we progress along the way.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Holmes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/JohnCarreyrou/status/783844650213715968

WSJ article, not paywalled for once: http://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-retreats-from-blood-tests-1475713848

It's going to be a fistfight between Carreyrou and David Fahrenthold (the guy who bird-dogged Trump's charitable donations) for the Pulitzer for investigative journalism.