Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

IRQ posted:

And one of the best games ever made.
Red Alert 2 was very good indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the expansion, Yuri's Revenge. It had the craziest shenanigans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Yuri lied. People died.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Picking up on Orphan Black again after having stopped after the first three episodes and I'm kicking myself at having stopped in the first place.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vegetablei posted:

Red Alert 2 was very good indeed

Lest anyone think I meant that, holy gently caress no, I was referring to the only good Red Alert, the first one. The sequels were hot garbage.

Since you have clearly forgotten or suffered a brain injury, this might help jog your memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

IRQ posted:

Lest anyone think I meant that, holy gently caress no, I was referring to the only good Red Alert, the first one. The sequels were hot garbage.

Since you have clearly forgotten or suffered a brain injury, this might help jog your memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg
I knew what you meant and I meant what I said anyway

how aren't there emmys for FMVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEIGu8V_D8g

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
First episode of The Exorcist was surprisingly good, haven't watched the second yet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I did not expect going into this new season that Lethal Weapon would be my favorite new show but here we are. I kind of love it. Damon Wayons and Clayne Crawford are great together and I knew Crawford had the drama chops from Rectify but he's amazing at comedy too and this role gives him a chance to show both equally.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah Lethal Weapon's great. It's got the action and fun but what makes it work is that the main buddy pair consists of decent actors with serviceable writing but their relationship is really effective . The series would have not worked at all otherwise - when you have mediocre characters in a show like this you get Rush Hour.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Rush Hour movies were so forgettable. I had no idea people loved those so much.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just saw a commercial for the new season of Lip Sync Battle, and apparently this season John Cho goes up against……Sir Ben Kingsley?

So that'll be something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now all we need is for Lethal Weapon to do a Ferris Bueller episode and we're set.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Clayne isn't a name. It's a sound effect.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm checking out episode 1 of Lethal Weapon. I wish filmmakers would stop using that camera angle where the camera is in the passenger seat looking at the driver and then a car looms up and crashes into them. As soon as I see that shot, I know a crash is coming.

Hell of an opening 15 minutes though

blue squares fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 6, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I'm checking out episode 1 of Lethal Weapon. I wish filmmakers would stop using that camera angle where the camera is in the passenger seat looking at the driver and then a car looms up and crashes into them. As soon as I see that shot, I know a crash is coming.

Hell of an opening 15 minutes though

I don't mind it. I actually prefer that I can anticipate it, rather than them going out of their way to try to make it a surprise. That sort of thing often just gets in the way of good story-telling.

edit: but yes, nthing what others have said: Lethal Weapon is really great, everyone should check it out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why can't the crash ever be their fault. For once I want to see them be the one that t-bones some other pregnant lady.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Why can't the crash ever be their fault. For once I want to see them be the one that t-bones some other pregnant lady.

I know right.

Or like, couldn't the pregnant lady just be the one that causes the accident?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

X-O posted:

I did not expect going into this new season that Lethal Weapon would be my favorite new show but here we are. I kind of love it. Damon Wayons and Clayne Crawford are great together and I knew Crawford had the drama chops from Rectify but he's amazing at comedy too and this role gives him a chance to show both equally.

I hope they keep up the running tally of the amount of property damage they do through the whole season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Finally caught up with the pilot for Westworld. It's absolutely fantastic, the cast is stellar, I'm anticipating a really good season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I found really interesting about the Westworld pilot is that it really felt like there were stakes even though no one human was directly threatened. So, in that respect, they've succeeded in making me invested in setting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The WW thread moves really loving fast like 100 new posts in an hour yesterday. But there's so many great theories and speculation in there that it's worth keeping up with.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Le0 posted:

We like watching late night shows, mostly Last Week Tonight and Full Frontal. We used to watch Daily show but since Trevor took over we stopped...
What are other good shows like that if any?

Samantha Bee is one of the best shows running right now, and is the true heir to the Daily Show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Jane the Virgin, though it really isn't my kind of show surprisingly it's very good for what it is.

Its twenty plus episodes per season killed it for me. Near the end of the first season, it just wore me out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Flavor Flav is not happy about that face kick from the end of his segment on The Eric Andre show. He insists it wasn't real and that “That kick in the face, NEVER HAPPENED. That’s some Bullsh*t editing done to disparage Flav. Yo Eric Andre – F*CK YOU for that move gee.”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shageletic posted:

Samantha Bee is one of the best shows running right now, and is the true heir to the Daily Show.

If the show is so great you would know the name of the show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just seen three episodes from the upcoming Netflix season of Black Mirror. They were great! Although two of them were very different from the show previously - I was thinking it had changed for good until the third episode.

Will post more later.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I heard about the premise for Timeless, and the fact that each episode could be a different time period, and I thought "Wow, that sounds really expensive!"

Then I saw the CGI in the pilot

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

X-O posted:

I know nothing about the source material for this, but I enjoyed whatever it was. It sure wasn't a trailer though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hlNVt-STn4

I just want to hear Warburton say "For Beatrice - No one could extinguish my love, or your house.".

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

What I found really interesting about the Westworld pilot is that it really felt like there were stakes even though no one human was directly threatened. So, in that respect, they've succeeded in making me invested in setting.

I love it as well. Some really interesting threads and storylines that could develop. Listening to AJ Mass on Post Show Recaps made me think I was alone. That guy bitched about the entire pilot and kept harping on about "It fell flat because the Hosts can't feel anything so how can you feel sorry for them. There just aren't any stakes until they become sentient."

What sort of loving sociopath feels nothing in that episode "because they aren't human"? Yeah, you're technically correct, but human beings in the real world with shred empathy should not have that reaction. It's why we cry in WALL-E and feel sorry for the puppy dog eyes on an RSPCA ad (as opposed to a crocodile or some poo poo). Hell, it was the whole point of Ex Machina and we saw how Domhnall Gleeson's characters felt despite it "just being a robot".

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I mean, my default assumption in all AI media is that the AI is actually or will soon within the confines of the story be sufficiently sentient to be called a "person", and therefore be deserving of empathy and dignity. I don't know why people would think otherwise unless they're enormous shitheads.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ben Edlund is stating that Patrick Warburton is going to show up in the new Tick series in some way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spooky like this! posted:

Ben Edlund is stating that Patrick Warburton is going to show up in the new Tick series in some way.

I saw that, everyone assumes he'll be Barry.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wow, I really, really like Frequency.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

blue squares posted:

So I heard about the premise for Timeless, and the fact that each episode could be a different time period, and I thought "Wow, that sounds really expensive!"

Then I saw the CGI in the pilot

I bet they revisit the same time period a lot going forward. :v:

Also why can't they send another generic guy back in time to 1937 only 5 minutes before they arrive to give them the heads up on what went wrong the first time and fix it? That would avoid their "can't jump back to the same time or you explode" deal.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

blue squares posted:

Wow, I really, really like Frequency.

Raimy should stop playing Telltale games irl. But yes this show is amazing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So visiting my parents last week they said Designated Survivor is surprisingly good and I should check it out. Are they right or do I need to sever?

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
If you want to watch Jack Bauer as president go for it. It's nothing on the level of like Breaking Bad, but as far as network TV goes it's been fairly decent.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bruceski posted:

So visiting my parents last week they said Designated Survivor is surprisingly good and I should check it out. Are they right or do I need to sever?

It's fine. If you like the premise that's exactly what it is. Keifer Sutherland sells it fine. But he's not being Jack Bauer, it's a political drama and he's not shooting anyone, he's making the case for why the secretary of HUD should be president to catty republicans.

e: that might sound like it's bad but I enjoy it quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Designate Survivor is good, but if you're looking for 24: The Bauer Presidency it's pretty much the opposite of that because his character is the opposite of that.

• Locked thread