Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going to say he had an Imperial Germany or Confederate flag avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm going to say he had an Imperial Germany or Confederate flag avatar.

Usually a good guess, but sadly nope

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I still don't get the OOB fetish. It was only in one out of four HoI games (I guess if you wanted to be super-specific it was only in one out of 6) and yet people pretend it is the most important part of the series. And it adds nothing! Nothing at all! No one ever agonized on whether this army should have that general or this one, no one ever wondered if the first corps should have three divisions or four. It was something you tried to engage with as little as humanly possible. ANd what little choice there was is still replicated by the system in HoI 4.

It...just...WHY?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Grouchio posted:

Should I first learn the ropes of Vicky 2 with the vanilla game before trying out HPM or PDM or NWO? Also what would be a good country to start as and learn the ropes with?

You should definitely play vanilla (with expansions, obviously). PDM is really bad; it breaks a lot of mechanics that make it much harder and less fun to be a minor power but makes it pathetically easy to conquer the world as a major with basically no effort. HPM would be OK except it hasn't been updated, so it doesn't have some of the improvements added in the 3.04 beta patch (be sure you've got 3.04 enabled).

NWO is a hell of a thing but you should not start with it, no. You will have zero idea what the hell is going on with anything in it if you try and it will be utter nonsense. And I wish he hadn't kept the crisis nerfs from PDM when he made it, because crises are cool!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

You should definitely play vanilla (with expansions, obviously). PDM is really bad; it breaks a lot of mechanics that make it much harder and less fun to be a minor power but makes it pathetically easy to conquer the world as a major with basically no effort. HPM would be OK except it hasn't been updated, so it doesn't have some of the improvements added in the 3.04 beta patch (be sure you've got 3.04 enabled).

NWO is a hell of a thing but you should not start with it, no. You will have zero idea what the hell is going on with anything in it if you try and it will be utter nonsense. And I wish he hadn't kept the crisis nerfs from PDM when he made it, because crises are cool!

Actually PDM is fun and you should try my mod for it :tipshat: http://oldforum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?729421-Minimod-Faulty-s-Fixes-for-PoD

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

until someone stops PDM from ruining the build crisis focus i will never play it again!!!

but your fixes do seem nice enough I suppose

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ArchangeI posted:

I still don't get the OOB fetish. It was only in one out of four HoI games (I guess if you wanted to be super-specific it was only in one out of 6) and yet people pretend it is the most important part of the series. And it adds nothing! Nothing at all! No one ever agonized on whether this army should have that general or this one, no one ever wondered if the first corps should have three divisions or four. It was something you tried to engage with as little as humanly possible. ANd what little choice there was is still replicated by the system in HoI 4.

It...just...WHY?

If you're a "realism is always good even when it makes the game worse" grognard then it's essential.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

HPM has gotten updated several times since the beta patch came out though :confused:

Also the articles on that page are really good.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RabidWeasel posted:

If you're a "realism is always good even when it makes the game worse" grognard then it's essential.

I honestly saw a guy arguing that the current problem - where the optimal way to organise a thousand fighters is into a thousand wings of a single aircraft each - is actually a good thing, because if he has the patience to click on a menu 3,000 times to organise it, he should be rewarded.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
My two major remaining gripes with hoi IV are the micromanagement required for aircraft (seriously wtf) and the lack of a simplified terrain mode. It gets really tedious having to hover over each province to see what terrain it is. Well ok, hardly every province but there's more than enough ambiguous cases, at least for me that I really miss simplified terrain. I do use a mod to make the terrain easier to distinguish, but it's shame to have to do that since the default map is very pretty and perfectly fine 90% of the time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I got HPM mixed up with NNM, the slimmed down PDM thing. I have no opinion of HPM at all, so maybe it's fantastic!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 2, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

It...just...WHY?

I posted in the forums once that the OOB and battle front system in 3 being too complex for the AI to actually handle properly was bad and got told that ANYONE USING THE AI IS A NEWB. They could not seem to understand that regardless of what the players do, AI countries will still be controlled by the AI...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Man Musk posted:

Are there any mods actually that are purely randomly generated maps? I've yet to try the GoT map, but I heard that's fun?

This is on the workshop. Looks fun to me, but not sure I have the patience for 'super crashy'.

Some sort of official Random World option would be cool. Pick your culture, ideas, and buy a certain amount of development push GO to see where you wind up.

EDIT: I'd totally buy a DLC that nothing but a working randomized world option plus another pile of large tiles.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 3, 2016

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Has anyone played the Native America one? Don't have a link handy but I kind of figured CK2's feudal mechanics wouldn't make much sense in the New World

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would be a good way to define Post-Napoleonic thought military-wise?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Grouchio posted:

What would be a good way to define Post-Napoleonic thought military-wise?

According to my vague recollections of Victoria event text, these two dudes were the most prominent military thinkers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine-Henri_Jomini
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_von_Clausewitz

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm really interested in the mod after reading some of those articles. The author seems very thoughtful.

quote:

Wrong Focus

I mean the economy has a "wrong focus". Historically the main drive of industrialization (goods wise, not socioeconomic or poo poo like that) was heavy industry. Coal, iron, steel, metals and foundries - that made the industrial revolution and gave small countries such as Belgium an advantage. Goods in Victoria 2 are also an abstraction. Instead of having a good for gold, one for silver and one for diamonds there's a single good - precious metal - that represents all these things (as evidenced in the "Diamonds in $PROVINCE$" events). Iron too represents more than just iron, it covers other metals that were important int he industrial revolution, such as copper. I debated with the idea of renaming a few goods to represent this better but I digress.

The factors that drove these strategic goods to be so prominent during the industrial revolution are largely missing from the game. Railroads don't require any maintenance. The civil construction sector doesn't exist. Furniture is all made of wood and utensils, tools and other stuff that was commonly used and made of processed iron or steel are missing. Pickaxes, hoes, tractors and tractor parts, wrought iron for gates, balconies, windows (and the glass it use), they are missing from the game. So to represent these goods, the maintenance of buildings and the use of cheap steel and rising use of metals in everyday life these goods were introduced to pops. Poor pops try to buy small quantities of cement and steel for housing and goods (luxury needs, usually) though for everyday housing needs they just buy lumber. Farmers and Labourers will try to buy machine parts for their tractors and steam engines, pops try to buy glass for their windows and glassware.

Uses of Steel

Demand in Victoria 2 is drove through consumer goods. What poor pops consume is usually a profitable industry. While that's overall true, the game doesn't represent the growing needs for metals and other goods and consequentially heavy industry takes a backseat to industrialization. This will still change as I want to redo factories maintenance, construction goods and employee numbers but right now steel and coal are already one of the main drivers of industrialization in HPM. To do this stuff I also took a look at Victoria Revolutions needs and goods (coal, for example, increased with pop strata in Ricky while in V2 it stays largely the same).

Right now, I hope this holds true:

At that time, a country’s power was measured by its coal and steel production, so the economic and political power of the steelmakers was considerable. They produced girders for large factories and grand stores and opulent buildings such as those on the Boulevard Haussmann in Paris. Their steels were essential for the manufacture not only of cannons, ships, rails and locomotives but also of all the equipment that was transported throughout the colonial empire.

Steel was in such demand that the producers had control over how much and to whom they sold.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

He's right, though he should really say Second Industrial Revolution. But yeah, those do look pretty good, interested to see if he can make an interesting game that does the same thing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If you have any great pointers on how to handle production, budget, trade and diplomacy, what would you say?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

This is on the workshop. Looks fun to me, but not sure I have the patience for 'super crashy'.

Some sort of official Random World option would be cool. Pick your culture, ideas, and buy a certain amount of development push GO to see where you wind up.

EDIT: I'd totally buy a DLC that nothing but a working randomized world option plus another pile of large tiles.

Nice I might give this a try after my current game

I've just vassalized France as Navarre based off my random New World gains

EU4 is best played as as a Civ imo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd have to disagree, for me personally a lot of EUIV's appeal comes from the way games diverge from historical reality, given the same starting point. It's why I've never been interested in the Random New World DLC.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would be the best mod (or vanilla) to play as a country like Egypt or Greece or Iran or Liberia?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Vanilla: I believe you can form Egypt by decision as the Mamluks if you survive the Ottomans long enough. Persia's tougher, the Timurids almost always fall apart though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Alikchi posted:

Vanilla: I believe you can form Egypt by decision as the Mamluks if you survive the Ottomans long enough. Persia's tougher, the Timurids almost always fall apart though.
For Victoria 2.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also what's the best way to increase population in Sweden and make it a great power ASAP?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Also what's the best way to increase population in Sweden and make it a great power ASAP?

Getting to GP status is probably the first thing to focus on. Any events- take whatever gives you the most prestige. Sweden starts with good literacy but not a huge income, so getting GP through industrialization will take a bit because I think it'd take time to get a liberal government in and even then you'd still be pressed to afford factories. Maybe a handful of Man O' Wars?

Once you get GP status though, your fastest way to grow is to form Scandinavia- get Norway and Denmark in your sphere ASAP and you're good. Finland can be tricky because in the base game there's like 1 province in South Finland that's got a messed up core- so forcing a crisis sometimes doesn't work. You can wait for Germany to go to war with Russia though and maybe jump in to claim Finland.

After that, I don't know if there's any great pop growth tricks. Sweden/Scandanavia is pretty progressive, so the government/social policies will improve immigration- but the game's systems are heavily weighted to push migration to America. Colonization is the next obvious option.

I'm blanking on the covert actions features of Vicky2. Is there a way to flip USA to non-democratic? That might offset the US's bonuses to immigration, which would result in you getting a bigger piece of that pie.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grouchio posted:

If you really wanna rush power status then you wanna take all the prestige techs you can as soon as you can. You'll need good literacy, of course. You can catch up on other discoveries later so that is fine. It's the only avenue for power that doesnt require a large population, you see.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm blanking on the covert actions features of Vicky2. Is there a way to flip USA to non-democratic? That might offset the US's bonuses to immigration, which would result in you getting a bigger piece of that pie.

no covert actions iirc. you'd need to send the us into a revolt spiral, which isn't that hard to do if you can win one war against them (two big wars with full occupation usually does the trick, and if you can win one war, you can win two)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Wouldn't matter much according to this: http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Migration#Country_Migration_Target

I might as well just change the modifier files.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you cna always side with the csa to fuk america over

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Get ready to constantly fight Germany/NGF over Holstein if you form Scandinavia. Your best bet is to ally with France and demolish Prussia ASAP, after which point you can do anything you want - Carve Russia into pretty states, draw a giant dick using Russian territories (I personally recommend Belarus for the testicles), colonize Africa.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

A White Guy posted:

Get ready to constantly fight Germany/NGF over Holstein if you form Scandinavia. Your best bet is to ally with France and demolish Prussia ASAP, after which point you can do anything you want - Carve Russia into pretty states, draw a giant dick using Russian territories (I personally recommend Belarus for the testicles), colonize Africa.

And as Scandinavia you can make the dicks sword fight.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Paradox Grand Strategy: You Can Make the Dicks Swordfight

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I thought you could avoid a conflict over Holstein? I'm pretty sure in HoD at least Holstein was not a province required to form Scandinavia?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I don't think It's required but it starts under Denmark's control so it's yours when you annex them via the Scandinavia decision.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Game needs an option to say gently caress it, I don't want this province. It's like Portugal in EUIV after the latest few patches where you can't sell Ceuta because Morocco is always your rival even though (much like in real life) you would much rather be out colonizing and trading in peace than having to defend your lovely North African province.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I recently started playing Vicky 2 again (with the 3.04 beta patch), and it really is the best Paradox game ever.

When will you announce Vicky 3's imminent release, Paradox?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Wouldn't matter much according to this: http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Migration#Country_Migration_Target

I might as well just change the modifier files.

If you're gonna change files to get some migration, I would change the immigration focus to give global_immigration_attract or whatever it's called.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

I don't think It's required but it starts under Denmark's control so it's yours when you annex them via the Scandinavia decision.

Couldn't you just release it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Weird thought, but do you think that a Victoria game would work with HoI style units/combat? Vicky 2 uses a system similar to EU, and I find that it doesn't really do a great job at scaling up for the later game when you get into the WW1 era - even with your pops fully mobilized its hard to properly secure your fronts so you still end up playing a lot of whack a mole with enemy units pushing through the gaps in your defenses (either that or you spread your stacks so thin that they effectively offer no resistance). Plus, I kind of like the slow push of HoI battles where a unit that's defeated just falls back a province and regroups, which I feel better reflects the long, grinding nature of trench warfare, rather than having one huge pitched battle deciding the entire war the way it does in EU or CK.

The thing is that I don't know how well that system would really represent the EARLY part of the game. Victoria takes place in kind of a weird time period when it comes to warfare - the dramatic shifts in both technology and strategic philosophy would be hard to represent with a single system.