Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Technically this one doesn't have any abilities other than producing mana, but I feel it fits the spirit of the contest:

Well, if you don't just want to give that turtle the win, I've been on a Kaladesh kick.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Please don't disrespect the flavor. You may not care but others do.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

black potus posted:

I hate that this is actually a really fun card.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is rules-talk okay? Stuff like formatting and cards that don't work and the like?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hit me.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

"{T}: Exile target creature that dealt damage to you this turn until ~ leaves the battlefield or becomes untapped."

You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step.

While ~ is tapped, it has Upkeep {2}"

This formatting uses existing tech to do what you want it to do for less words and more clarity.

This would have to be an Artifact Land to work.

I didn't even realize this thread exists I'll come up with something

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
is it ok if the land does nothing

edit: tweaked in a later post

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 6, 2016

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

black potus posted:

This inspired me to take the "sexy party" flavor in a slightly different direction:

(I did think about resubmitting Festerpit, but it seemed unsporting.)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Have a 'fixed' tabernacle and a land that was supposed to be printed in Time Spiral but they forgot to print it. BONUS: Third card that I think works

Logic behind the cards:

So the idea of a land that messes with creature decks in a powerful way is cool, but tabernacle obviously just fucks over decks that aren't playing cradle (and have it in play). This version is still meant to be punishing, but in a way that you can work around over time, and react to beyond "welp didn't have mana this turn game is over"

Time-Shattered is a card that is obviously meant to interact with suspend, but has synergies beyond the TSP block. With cards like Gonti, and red's new Act on Impulse mechanics, there are definitely ways to cast cards from exile. (2) might be a little low for the effect but I figure it requires enough build around to be worth it. Possibly at that cost it would need to be legendary, but I'd rather make the trigger cost more since legendary mana producing lands are annoying, and it's meant to be a way to actually go up in cards in multiples.

The Vista is a weird card that's probably overpowered but seems fun as heck to me. It doesn't produce mana because you could pay for its own cost even with the intervening if, and is a trigger instead of an activated ability because otherwise you'd always have to hold priority to use it which is weird as heck.

(Alternate version we were discussing)

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 6, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I think it's worth remembering that lands tap for mana. This isn't just a general tendency, it's something Wizards is overwhelmingly consistent about. The only exceptions in the entire history of Magic are: fetchlands/Vesuva, which turn into lands that tap for mana; first printed literally more than 20 years ago, in Alliances or earlier, when Cumulative Upkeep was still considered a nifty mechanic; Dark Depths in Coldsnap as a callback to the non-mana lands from Ice Age; and Eye of Ugin which does its cost-reducing thing instead of actually adding mana to your mana pool.

Which, I mean, isn't to say that you can't make a land that doesn't tap for mana, but it suggests that if you do, you should probably have a very good reason why it doesn't at least have the option of tapping for colorless.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Double post for (hopefully) not-broken versions.

So Cathedral of War, but legendary instead of colorless?

TheCog posted:

A good proliferate land?

It's really bad. It unramps you, and the only benefit is that the one turn you cash out, you... still get the same amount of mana that turn that you would have if you'd played a basic instead of this and hadn't sacrificed all your other lands, but maybe with slightly better fixing but only in colors you had access to anyhow. Why?

The storage lands that already exist aren't exactly strong, but at least they don't blow up all your other lands for virtually no benefit.

Skyl3lazer posted:

While ~ is tapped, it has Upkeep {2}

That's not a thing that exists. Upkeep <cost> on its own isn't a keyword, there's only Cumulative Upkeep.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Kind of super overpowered but no idea how to make it fair.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

That's not a thing that exists. Upkeep <cost> on its own isn't a keyword, there's only Cumulative Upkeep.

Up is down and down is up and my perceptions of magic have changed forever

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Tax effects on a land is probably never fair, and one that also produces mana as well is crazy.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 5, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Probably just the first spell.

Whenever a player casts his or her first spell each turn, counter that spell unless that player pays {x} where ....

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

So Cathedral of War, but legendary instead of colorless?
That wasn't intentional, but I'm going to defend it retroactively. I honestly would personally rather see a Legendary Cathedral than a colorless one, because being able to theoretically four-stack almost removal-proof Exalted is a little worrying.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

It's really bad. It unramps you, and the only benefit is that the one turn you cash out, you... still get the same amount of mana that turn that you would have if you'd played a basic instead of this and hadn't sacrificed all your other lands, but maybe with slightly better fixing but only in colors you had access to anyhow. Why?
The idea is that its a build around card with something like doubling season, or any other card that allows extra counters.

You're right that it might be bad. The original version said two counters per land destroyed, but i felt like that was going to be too good.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheCog posted:

The idea is that its a build around card with something like doubling season, or any other card that allows extra counters.

You're right that it might be bad. The original version said two counters per land destroyed, but i felt like that was going to be too good.

You can do the same with the storage lands that already exist. But nobody does that because they're bad even when you're not sacrificing all your lands for no reason.

Two counters per land destroyed brings it back up to par with the real storage lands... on the first turn you cash out, but it still screws you over on every other turn.

You probably want to do something like:

"T, Sacrifice a land: Put a whatever counter on ~. Then for each whatever counter on ~, add one mana to your mana pool of any color a land in your graveyard could produce."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

A simple cross of Ancient Ziggurat and Cavern of Souls. With no ◇ ability it's narrow enough that it might even be printable!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For the purposes of this competition it's OK to do lands that don't produce mana, even if they wouldn't be printed any more.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TheCog posted:

It's bad. It's very, very bad.

I suppose one could say it's a "build around" card, but that doesn't really change anything. I mean, Carnival of Souls is a "build around" card, but that doesn't change the fact that it's loving terrible.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Gynovore posted:

It's bad. It's very, very bad.

I suppose one could say it's a "build around" card, but that doesn't really change anything. I mean, Carnival of Souls is a "build around" card, but that doesn't change the fact that it's loving terrible.

You make valid points. I'll probably redesign it from the ground up.

In the meantime, a card that is probably too good.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 6, 2016

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TheCog posted:

In the meantime, a card that is probably too good.

This actually isn't too broken. It doesn't generate mana when it sacrifices itself, and because it's Legendary you can't use three as an infinite loop. It does turn Zuran Orb into Squandered Resources, but that's not a problem outside Legacy.

The card refers to itself incorrectly, though.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Gynovore posted:

This actually isn't too broken. It doesn't generate mana when it sacrifices itself, and because it's Legendary you can't use three as an infinite loop. It does turn Zuran Orb into Squandered Resources, but that's not a problem outside Legacy.

The card refers to itself incorrectly, though.

Oops, thanks for noticing! Fixed.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This plus a fetchland is 1 mana ahead of schedule for no card investment. Not ancient tomb but probably too good for modern play. Also it should be lands you control going to the graveyard as these sorts of things are nonsymmetric nowadays.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gynovore posted:

It doesn't generate mana when it sacrifices itself

Is that true? Creatures like Dross Harvester trigger off their own deaths.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I feel like this should enter the battlefield with 2-3 Loyalty Counters on it to start with. Just to really strike that Planeswalker-land feel you're going for.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Skyl3lazer posted:

This would have to be an Artifact Land to work.

I don't see why. All existing Vehicles are Artifacts, but we've already got land creatures, so.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cernunnos posted:

I feel like this should enter the battlefield with 2-3 Loyalty Counters on it to start with. Just to really strike that Planeswalker-land feel you're going for.

Four lengthy abilities means tiny text, though. If we're going that far, we may as well go all-in.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I don't see why. All existing Vehicles are Artifacts, but we've already got land creatures, so.

Vehicle is an artifact subtype, which means that technically it can only go on artifacts. Same as how noncreatures can't have creature types without Tribal.

Oddly enough, if you did have a nonartifact Vehicle, it would become an artifact when crewed.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 6, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Vehicle is an artifact subtype, which means that technically it can only go on artifacts. Same as how noncreatures can't have creature types without Tribal.

It's not a creature type, I just gave an artifact subtype to a land and didn't look back. It works perfectly with all the pilots, with Depala, with Revoke Privilages, and with Start your Engines. I could have made a new ability that does the exact same thing as the Vehicle subtype and crew ability, but then it wouldn't work with any of those cards.

Complaining that something is against the rules because it's new is kind of against the point of a card design contest.

Oddly enough, if you did have a nonartifact Vehicle, it would become an artifact when crewed.

Ayup! Misusing mechanics may mean the card interacts better with existing cards, but the side effects can be weird.

Speaking of doing things that spit in the eye of conventional design, let's make a land that combos with Zendikar's Awaken mechanic and makes the best card in MtG even better.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's not a creature type, I just gave an artifact subtype to a land and didn't look back. It works perfectly with all the pilots, with Depala, with Revoke Privilages, and with Start your Engines. I could have made a new ability that does the exact same thing as the Vehicle subtype and crew ability, but then it wouldn't work with any of those cards.

Complaining that something is against the rules because it's new is kind of against the point of a card design contest.

It's not "against the rules because it's new" or because it "spits in the eye of conventional design", it's against the rules because the rules explicitly straight up do not allow artifact subtypes on non-artifacts. Do you think Tribal was created because wizards really wanted to make an ugly do-nothing card type?

There's a difference between "Things that aren't done because they're unconventional" (e.g. lands that don't produce mana) and "Things that aren't done because the game rules outright don't let you do them" (e.g. creatures with no power/toughness value).

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 6, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Take a chill pill, LoB, you're getting a little overinvested in Internet Pretend Card Game Contests.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Poison Mushroom posted:

Take a chill pill, LoB, you're getting a little overinvested in Internet Pretend Card Game Contests.

I mean, he's totally right even if he's being rude about it. One of the basic rules for magic is that Types cannot share Subtypes. In the example given, that land wouldn't actually be a vehicle until it was crewed - the Vehicle subtype wouldn't 'exist' unless it was an artifact.

quote:

205.1a Some effects set an object’s card type. [...] If an object’s card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object’s card type is removed. [...]

205.3d An object can’t gain a subtype that doesn’t correspond to one of that object’s types.

205.3g Artifacts have their own unique set of subtypes; these subtypes are called artifact types. The artifact types are Clue, Contraption, Equipment (see rule 301.5), Fortification (see rule 301.6), and Vehicle (see rule 301.7).

It's not saying that WotC couldn't change this if they wanted to, but they generally don't rewrite existing rules to make a weird card work just because they want to.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 6, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Khalni Gardens is fun. Slivers are fun. Two great tastes that oh god they're eating my face

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

quote:

205.1a Some effects set an object’s card type. [...] If an object’s card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object’s card type is removed. Except on the something awful forums. In which case do whatever I guess? [...]

205.3d An object can’t gain a subtype that doesn’t correspond to one of that object’s types. Except for land cards, and only on the something awful forums.

205.3g Artifacts have their own unique set of subtypes except when used on lands on the something awful forums; these subtypes are called artifact types. The artifact types are Clue, Contraption, Equipment (see rule 301.5), Fortification (see rule 301.6), and Vehicle (see rule 301.7).

Found some rare rules text in the changelog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Land destruction is just about my least favorite mechanic in Magic, being totally honest, but I think I'd mind it a little less if there were more ways to deal with it.

For example, a cycle of lands that answer land destruction.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 6, 2016

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Land destruction is just about my least favorite mechanic in Magic, being totally honest, but I think I'd mind it a little less if there were more ways to deal with it.

For example, a cycle of lands that answer land destruction.

Personal fav is saproling grove. The red mountain one is kind of underpowered as land destruction is mostly a red alligned skill so 2 damage to a creature isn't really that dire to redwins

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean, he's totally right even if he's being rude about it. One of the basic rules for magic is that Types cannot share Subtypes. In the example given, that land wouldn't actually be a vehicle until it was crewed - the Vehicle subtype wouldn't 'exist' unless it was an artifact.

It's not saying that WotC couldn't change this if they wanted to, but they generally don't rewrite existing rules to make a weird card work just because they want to.

Urgh, fine.

And the appropriate passage from the rules.

quote:

101.1. Whenever a card’s text directly contradicts these rules, the card takes precedence. The card overrides only the rule that applies to that specific situation. The only exception is that a player can concede the game at any time (see rule 104.3a).

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 6, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

^ nice try I suppose but I don't think they reference type lines, etc on cards? I think writing out the text of "crew" would be better, and make it a pseudo vehicle. "Tap any number of creatures with combined power 2 or more: ~ becomes a Vehicle artifact creature with defender and base p/t whatever until end of turn."

How is the blue one supposed to work? If it would be destroyed, instead return to hand? Or can my wastelands just constantly go back to my hand?

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 6, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Skyl3lazer posted:

How is the blue one supposed to work? If it would be destroyed, instead return to hand? Or can my wastelands just constantly go back to my hand?

That's an interesting question. Do sacrifice effects destroy a permanent, or just send it to the graveyard? If it's the first, I'm gonna fetch every turn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Or can my wastelands just constantly go back to my hand?
Yeah, okay, fair cop. Tweaked it to only include ~ and islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, okay, fair cop. Tweaked it to only include ~ and islands.

Is it from graveyard to hand as a trigger, or a replacement effect for being put into the graveyard?