Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Value Over Replacement Engine (VORE) eats other metrics alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Rods to the hogshead or nothing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Parsecs per Kessel Run.
I'll show myself out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Wolfram|Alpha reminds me that one joule = one newton across a distance of one metre , so joules per metre = newtons

We should be measuring fuel economy in units of force.

1 litre∕100 km = 320.5 N

In the steady state, you could imagine this as the sum of all the retarding forces on the vehicle (air drag, rolling resistance, transmission losses, &c.), or, equivalently, the force the engine must produce to counteract them.

For you U.S. customary fans, 30 MPG = 565 pounds of force.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Sep 26, 2016

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Wolfram|Alpha reminds me that one joule = one newton across a distance of one metre , so joules per metre = newtons

In the steady state, you could imagine this as the sum of all the retarding forces on the vehicle (air drag, rolling resistance, transmission losses, &c.), or, equivalently, the force the engine must produce to counteract them.

We already have Torque / second not equaling the power of the car, let's not make it worse.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

Fuel economy also works out to an area measurement, of all things. It sounds crazy until you think about it, but say you took the gas you burned on a trip and stretched it out into a tube that's the length of that trip. What's the cross-section of that tube? A gas-guzzler would need a thicker tube than an economy car, right? It turns out 20 miles per gallon equals a cross-section of 0.1 square millimeters.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/11/

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

At work we have a web design job for a tutoring service whose current site features this gem:

According to their site it shows how a child improves with tuition - but, well... :confused:

We may "forget" to include it in their next redesign.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Here in the UK we still use mpg to measure fuel efficiency even though we've bought petrol by the litre for the last 30 years.

Hmm sure is useful to know I've got 20 litres of fuel left and my car does 53mpg

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Here in the UK we still use mpg to measure fuel efficiency even though we've bought petrol by the litre for the last 30 years.

Hmm sure is useful to know I've got 20 litres of fuel left and my car does 53mpg

Try and find anything that give you the useful litres/mile and you might as well be looking for a unicorn.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

spog posted:

Try and find anything that give you the useful litres/mile and you might as well be looking for a unicorn.

I heard that unicorns have good mileage but aren't really suitable for city driving, c/d?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

spongepuppy posted:

At work we have a web design job for a tutoring service whose current site features this gem:

According to their site it shows how a child improves with tuition - but, well... :confused:

We may "forget" to include it in their next redesign.

I feel like including a graph this stupid in a website for a tutoring service would actually serve to drive people away from said service. I mean if they don't know how graphs work how would anyone expect them to teach kids how to do it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Platystemon posted:

1 litre∕100 km = 320.5 N

For you U.S. customary fans, 30 MPG = 565 pounds of force.

Now I want to know the specific impulse of my car, even though it's not a sensible measure at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I heard that unicorns have good mileage but aren't really suitable for city driving, c/d?
d. they're actually pretty good in stop and go traffic thanks to the start-stop functionality. It's actually on the highway where their lack of overdrive becomes an issue.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like including a graph this stupid in a website for a tutoring service would actually serve to drive people away from said service. I mean if they don't know how graphs work how would anyone expect them to teach kids how to do it?
Seems like a reasonable graph - it shows that their tutoring prevents students from being held up for a year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mobby_6kl posted:

d. they're actually pretty good in stop and go traffic thanks to the start-stop functionality. It's actually on the highway where their lack of overdrive becomes an issue.

Just don't get frustrated at the other drivers, you really don't want to lean on the horn too hard.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just don't get frustrated at the other drivers, you really don't want to lean on the horn too hard.

:haw:

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Based on the site's content their target audience isn't educated parents, sadly. I think the only ethical solution is accidental omission.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

But it only goes up uP UPup uP UP! That can only be good.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fathis Munk posted:

But it only goes up uP UPup uP UP! That can only be good.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

This was explicitly intended as a joke. Where did you get this? Did you do puzzle safari?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nebrilos posted:

This was explicitly intended as a joke.

Maybe, but now it's taught in business schools.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Nebrilos posted:

This was explicitly intended as a joke. Where did you get this? Did you do puzzle safari?

I realize it's a joke, it's from Silicon Valley. It was in response to the 'up up up!' comment which I quoted right there at the top of my post.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe, but now it's taught in business schools.

You can't make this stuff up!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I do I

hella

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You (the person I am addressing) "do you" (be yourself).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pakled posted:

Rods to the hogshead or nothing.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Not awful as such, but :lol: at Virginia's huge swollen blue balls.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Is this real? It's even dumber than those old Fox News charts where the percentages don't even add up to 100%.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reminds me of a weather chart in an old MAD magazine that listed rain, wind, hail, tornado and plague.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Forgall posted:

Not awful as such, but :lol: at Virginia's huge swollen blue balls.

Lol at Buchanan County. Named after the worst of the presidents, steadfastly voting for the worst - of two - parties.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cool, so the real danger is wind. Rain surge and tornado can be dismissed.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Turn the graph 90 degrees clockwise and it becomes Graphy the Cool Graph For Cool Kids from the 90s (He's here to teach you about the margin of error in a fun and hip way!)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pretty tame by Fox News standards, but I'm amused that the evangelicals add up to 109%.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ugh that's like rule number one when you make up numbers to prove your point, always add them up.

I am fascinated by the reckless abandon and ineptitude Fox displays with all their bullshit propaganda.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Powered Descent posted:

Pretty tame by Fox News standards, but I'm amused that the evangelicals add up to 109%.

Remember folks, this is the news media described as "too liberal" by Trump supporters.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I was going to say, could be due to rounding, but it's 109%.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

trapped mouse posted:

Remember folks, this is the news media described as "too liberal" by Trump supporters.

Of course. A truly conservative news source would have over 109% under "strongly unfavorable" alone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

This is a great diagram of how my exgirlfriend acheived orgasm.

just kidding, she always faked it