Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Anyone hear the new Growlers? Reviews seem mixed, but I actually enjoyed it for what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The new Phantogram leaked a day early.

You Don't Get Me High Anymore is probably the worst track on the album.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
That's good to hear. I've been keeping up with the singles and You Don't isn't that bad, if it's the worst on the album I'll probably like Three a lot more than Voices.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

angrygodofjebus posted:

The new Phantogram leaked a day early.

You Don't Get Me High Anymore is probably the worst track on the album.

I've been eagerly awaiting this one, it definitely doesn't disappoint.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'll give it a try at least. Phantogram was one of my favorite bands a few years back, but that BigGrams and singles off III so far have been really bad.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Stelio Kontos posted:

I've been eagerly awaiting this one, it definitely doesn't disappoint.

Agreed. It is short, though. But what is on there is all very, very solid.

Barking Dog has my favorite vocals I've ever heard Josh do.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

angrygodofjebus posted:

Agreed. It is short, though. But what is on there is all very, very solid.

Barking Dog has my favorite vocals I've ever heard Josh do.

Short is good sometimes, between this and the new Bon Iver, there's just a little over an hour of music, they don't overstay their welcome.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I cannot get through a full bon iver album. I find them so plodding.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Felt the same until the new one. Moon Water is the only track that doesn't totally grip me.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'll give it another listen for sure. I like the song skinny love (of course you do!).

lala da vinci
Oct 9, 2012
What the hell is that? He made it sound like a Marcy Playground song.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Visiting Seattle and seeing Phantogram tomorrow. How are they live? Kind of feel like a spent a lot for the pair of tickets.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Placebo has a new 2-disc best-of album and EP out today. Only one new song on the best-of ("Jesus' Son") and it's also on the EP which is convenient! The EP has 5 other tracks too, and is called Life's What You Make It. Out on usual services now.

Does anyone else like Placebo anymore? :ohdear:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

T Bowl posted:

Visiting Seattle and seeing Phantogram tomorrow. How are they live? Kind of feel like a spent a lot for the pair of tickets.

I saw them just about three years ago and they were fantastic. Can't imagine they took too big of a drop since then.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Incredibly good. Sarah has definitely gotten better/more confident over time. I just saw them at the Lolla aftershow July 31st (and with Big Grams at Bonnaroo a month before that) and they were wonderful at both. When I'm Small live is something else.

The next time they're playing in Chicago loving Weezer is headlining and it's $50, so I feel you on the ticket prices.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 7, 2016

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

just saw Phantogram in Portland and it was great! Cool visual setup and the new songs are a change but I liked it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Trip report. Coldplay (in August at rose bowl) was the best show I've ever seen live. Didn't hurt I was about fifty feet from the stage.

One Republic's new album just dropped, also super solid (and five songs will be overplayed to the point we will all hate them).

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Listened to 22, a million twice through on a long drive. It's fantastic. 8 ( circle ) is the best song I've heard this year.

I caught the Villagers live a couple of weeks back in Bristol, and they were incredible. I wasn't sure how well their music would translate to a live setting, but they sounded amazing. The Waves was astonishing. Amy recommendations for similar sounding bands?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Phantogram is on the latest episode of Song Exploder talking about angrygodofjebus's favorite song http://songexploder.net/phantogram

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLcd70qx5jc

came out today. very good.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Electoral Surgery posted:

Phantogram is on the latest episode of Song Exploder talking about angrygodofjebus's favorite song http://songexploder.net/phantogram

lol from Pitchfork's review:

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Going to see Beverly in London at the roundhouse on Nov 5th - anyone Uk'ers there? :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk2RtqwQq6I

ed: also Spiritualized on the 8th...

macdonal hamborkles fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 7, 2016

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I went through Phantograms new album, didn't care for most of it, but Cruel World and Funeral Pyre really stand out as some of their best material. At least something good came from that album, I was expecting the worst.

Beverly should be a good show. I saw them with a very small crowd last year and they all seem like good people.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Only listened to Three once and much like Voices it has its moments but not enough of them. If you took the best of the three albums and the one EP you'd possibly have the best album of the decade!

You don't get me high anymore has been getting played at every indie night I've been djing at since it dropped. Brilliant single.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Been through the new How To Dress Well and it's good, but I think it falls off at the last half. Lost Youth / Lost You I'm obsessed with though.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

britishbornandbread posted:

Only listened to Three once and much like Voices it has its moments but not enough of them. If you took the best of the three albums and the one EP you'd possibly have the best album of the decade!

You don't get me high anymore has been getting played at every indie night I've been djing at since it dropped. Brilliant single.

This is how I've always felt about them. Their albums are typically half amazing and half forgettable. Just need to mash up those dozen or so into a special edition.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

Placebo has a new 2-disc best-of album and EP out today. Only one new song on the best-of ("Jesus' Son") and it's also on the EP which is convenient! The EP has 5 other tracks too, and is called Life's What You Make It. Out on usual services now.

Does anyone else like Placebo anymore? :ohdear:

Big fan here, but they are clearly past their prime and unfortunately aren't playing the tracks in their live shows that everybody wants to hear.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
This Car Seat Headrest album is super good

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Anonymous John posted:

Big fan here, but they are clearly past their prime and unfortunately aren't playing the tracks in their live shows that everybody wants to hear.

I agree, Meds was their last great album. But there's still stuff to like amongst their new work. Some example songs: B3 (from the EP of the same name) and A Million Little Pieces (from Loud Like Love). The good songs are just buried by tons of boring/simplistic songs.

I really miss the old guitar tones from the first 4 albums. I can't really describe them but there was something unearthly about their sound back in the day.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Haven't listened to it yet, but the new Naked and Famous album leaked.

e: it is extremely good, yikes.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 13, 2016

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Slandible posted:

This is how I've always felt about them. Their albums are typically half amazing and half forgettable. Just need to mash up those dozen or so into a special edition.

A quick nine song best of

Mouthful of Diamonds
When I'm Small
Black Out Days
Day You Died
Celebrating Nothing
You Don't Get Me High Anymore
16 Years
Don't Move
Turning Into Stone

And that's only because I haven't listened to Three that much yet.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

I agree, Meds was their last great album. But there's still stuff to like amongst their new work. Some example songs: B3 (from the EP of the same name) and A Million Little Pieces (from Loud Like Love). The good songs are just buried by tons of boring/simplistic songs.

I really miss the old guitar tones from the first 4 albums. I can't really describe them but there was something unearthly about their sound back in the day.

Not a fan of the new EP, but I'm hoping that their new 20 year anniversary tour will have a great setlist worthy of admission.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The American Football comeback is streaming.

Sounds about like what I expected. Somewhere between the first record and Owen.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I liked almost everything on Three except for barking dog. The vocals sounded like wailing kid Cudi made a guest appearance. Think they should just stick with Sarah for the singing.

:shrug:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Dr. Capco posted:

I liked almost everything on Three except for barking dog. The vocals sounded like wailing kid Cudi made a guest appearance. Think they should just stick with Sarah for the singing.

:shrug:

You say that, but their best song ever, Turning Into Stone, has Josh on vocal.

Yeah. gently caress you.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

britishbornandbread posted:

A quick nine song best of

Mouthful of Diamonds
When I'm Small
Black Out Days
Day You Died
Celebrating Nothing
You Don't Get Me High Anymore
16 Years
Don't Move
Turning Into Stone

And that's only because I haven't listened to Three that much yet.

No Bad Dreams or Bill Murray?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Douglas Dare's new LP, Aforger, is out today. Best comparison/description I could've come up with, based on his earlier work, is if James Blake combined with some of Thom Yorke's Eraser-era stuff. His last LP, Whelm, was maybe my favorite album of 2014. Still giving this one time to soak in.

"Doublethink"

"New York"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I saw this awesome group tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9kXstb9FF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRqSYRujto

opener was another awesome group that I love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGaTXMnScN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIkLh5Wr3o

all in all a loving fantastic show and I'm on cloud nine

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New Vulfpeck is loving cool, if this is the right thread for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

angrygodofjebus posted:

No Bad Dreams or Bill Murray?

Billl Murray is great but the song title is loving awful.