Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Corek posted:

And then there was the TV show where it turns out there's a bunch of aliens controlling the world who designed the pyramid on the dollar bill :stonk:

Reading Wikipedia summaries for episodes of the TV show I'm still not completely convinced that it isn't just some elaborate case of Wikipedia vandalism because it's all incredibly bonkers. I mean, trying to make a live-action TV series based on a movie franchise whose entire gimmick is shrinking and/or growing people means you have to take some liberties (especially considering you have a late-90s daytime TV budget) but seriously, just look at some of these:

Honey, I'm Dreaming... But Am I? posted:

The prospect of dissecting a frog is giving Nick nightmares so Wayne invents a dream machine that would go into Nick's dream. He kills the frog but is threatened never to come back into the dream world again. Amy, against her dad's wishes, goes in so she can annoy Nick, so now the family can't sleep or else they could die.

Honey, They're After Me Lucky Charms posted:

Wayne's invention succeeds in finding gold - a pot of doubloons claimed by a leprechaun, who puts a curse on the Szalinskis until they hand it over.

Honey, the Garbage Is Taking Us Out posted:

Wayne, wanting to please Nick, invents a Refuse Ingesting Protozoa or RIP that can eat anything. Jennings, who is being tracked by an environmentalist, puts toxic waste in Wayne's invention. RIP infected Quark, Quark infected the mail-man and so on. Now Wayne and family must stop these garbage-eating-zombies and get them to Jentech West where there is a high security system.

Honey, I'm Wrestling with a Problem... and the Chief posted:

After wrestlers Bret and Owen Hart are injured at the Szalinskis', Wayne and the Chief agree to take their places in a match, aided by Wayne's remote-controlled bodysuit.

Honey, You've Drained My Brain" posted:

Diane is very nervous about her case against a tough lawyer so Wayne invents a thinky ring to help her retrieve her thoughts better. Unfortunately, she becomes a brain sucking vampire. Wayne finds out and goes after her to lure her home. Nick manages to get the ring off but this turns him into a brain sucking vampire. Diane figures things out and plots to fight Nick and get the ring off before he takes over the world.

Honey, I'm Kung Fu Fighting posted:

Ninjas invade Matheson, and Team Szalinski is in for much kung fu fighting to save the town. A monk, Master P'tui, appears to help Wayne and teach him martial arts. Meanwhile, Nick, tired of being bullied into doing other people's homework, invents a spray that can turn anyone into a kung fu expert. Also, Lord Bilious wants Diane to defend him after he tried to bribe town officials and landowners to sell him the town.

Honey, the Bunny Bit It posted:

Nick invents a machine of his own in an attempt to resurrect his dead pet bunny, Copernicus. Things go wrong when his invention summons a monstrous creature from another dimension that possesses the body of his deceased friend.

Honey, You'll Always Be a Princess to Me posted:

Diane is suffering a mid-life crisis in which she tries to look younger and after a trip to the museum with her husband and son, she finds out about a spell that could make her younger. Diane translate the tablets against Wayne's wishes and unknowingly wakes up as an evil princess. Now it is up to the Szalinski team to fight the evil princess and get Diane back. Meanwhile, the chief tries to beat Wayne in a spring decoration contest.

Honey, I'm Not Just Clowning Around posted:

Wayne invents an invention called the 3iDer which turns people into different people. The invention and Wayne got nominated for the inventors recognition achievement award. An evil clown tries to steal the invention and frame Wayne so it is up to Team Szalinski to stop this clown and clear Wayne's name.

"Honey, It's Gloom and Doom" posted:

Wayne is busy trying to perfect his Hypolyptical Organic Oxide Ray (a.k.a. the Hoo-Ray), a device based on mood-ring technology that will cause people to be happy, thus ending war and boosting global self-esteem. Wayne's new foreign assistant, Vlad Bolvahnicz, cautions that changing nature isn't necessarily a good thing.While working late on the project, Vlad is visited by members of the Global League of Oppressed Madmen (GLOOM). Vlad is actually an anarchist too, and his job at Jentech is part of GLOOM's eco-terrorist plot to teach the industrialized, polluting Western hemisphere a lesson by destroying a key polluter city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Guy Mann posted:

Reading Wikipedia summaries for episodes of the TV show I'm still not completely convinced that it isn't just some elaborate case of Wikipedia vandalism because it's all incredibly bonkers. I mean, trying to make a live-action TV series based on a movie franchise whose entire gimmick is shrinking and/or growing people means you have to take some liberties (especially considering you have a late-90s daytime TV budget) but seriously, just look at some of these:

Huh, I was going to say that sounds a lot like the Maniac Mansion* TV show, but then looking it up, I see that the HISTK show is what the Maniac Mansion people did afterwards? Edit: Looking at it again while sober, there's not nearly as much cast overlap as my drunk mind thought.

* Yes, based on the game

duz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 7, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guy Mann posted:

Why isn't The Nexus about this show instead

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Corek posted:

Why isn't The Nexus about this show instead

Welcome back to Honey I Shrunk the Podcast

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Guy Mann posted:

After wrestlers Bret and Owen Hart are injured at the Szalinskis', Wayne and the Chief agree to take their places in a match, aided by Wayne's remote-controlled bodysuit.

This has to be coming as a one off at the very least. Surely.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

duz posted:

Huh, I was going to say that sounds a lot like the Maniac Mansion* TV show, but then looking it up, I see that the HISTK show is what the Maniac Mansion people did afterwards?

* Yes, based on the game

Holy gently caress. I knew the show existed but I never saw that connection.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

MariusLecter posted:

This has to be coming as a one off at the very least. Surely.

BAH GAWD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Soup du Jour posted:

Welcome back to Honey I Shrunk the Podcast

Told ya

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Those are good running jokes but I love all their casual quotes of golden age simpsons bits, which I feel is pretty sharp

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tin can made man posted:

Those are good running jokes but I love all their casual quotes of golden age simpsons bits, which I feel is pretty sharp

:golfclap:

That's one of the things I enjoy most, that it's a pop culture show put together by people who are almost exactly my age, so they not only do they remember the same pop culture, but from the same perspective as me. Not that it was ever going to be great television, but VH1's "I love the 90s" was way weaker than the 70s and 80s versions because all the comedians they got had been adults in that decade, so they didn't really care about the toys and kids' media.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think their constant HW Bush impressions really pinpoint their strengths in that area.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Gallagher bits really speak to a generation of people whose grandparents thought he was the funniest man alive.

my grandmother still has a picture of her meeting him on her refrigerator.

PEOPLE KNOW WHO I AM, MARK

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
I can be one of your grandmother's cherished memories MARC

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I feel like I missed the genesis of a joke, I get the Gallagher stuff but who's mark?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Silentgoldfish posted:

I feel like I missed the genesis of a joke, I get the Gallagher stuff but who's mark?

Marc Maron, a comedian with a hugely successful podcast where he interviews people in the comedy world. Usually it's a boring public therapy session interrupted by dildo ads, but one time it was legendary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BChMJQcGIY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good god I'd heard things but now that I've finally listened myself how do people listen to Marc Maron, this is just like a boring rambling neurotic plugging ads every ten minutes.
To save everyone else the juicy stuff starts like twenty minutes in

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 8, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like Maron's podcast alright, but his show is real good.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Marc's a good interviewer who can often get some really interesting and candid backstory out of people. I only listen to WTF if I'm interested in learning more about the guest, but when the interview is good it's really good. That said, his front-loaded neurotic rants at the beginning of every episode are extremely skippable.

I've realized that the thing I like most about WHM, as others have said, is that these guys are my age with many of the same interests and a similar sense of humor. Listening to them reminds me of a much funnier version of the nerdy conversations I'd have with friends in film school. In some ways it's like hanging out and joking with old friends.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
I also like the variation in the episodes they do. You have the obvious/popular ones like Godzilla '98 and Mortal Kombat. Those along with Camp Nowhere and Space Jam are movies I watched a lot as a kid and haven't really watched since, so that stuff really resonates with me. My sister and I used to watch Camp Nowhere all the drat time, and she was responsible for showing me those weird '90s romcoms like My Best Friend's Wedding.

But they also do this weird poo poo like Blame It on Rio (good loving god) and A Letter from Death Row, both of which I would never have known existed before listening to this. This podcast has something for anybody at all interested in film.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Maron and pretty much every lame standup/established-person-trying-to-make-a-podcast podcast (99% of them) really make me appreciate the comparatively unobtrusive beginning bits and small ads of WHM, or better yet that UYD will always be too cool to have ads or front loaded bs at all

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Maron's successful because his incredible self-absorption actually makes him a good interviewer--he's desperately trying to extract lessons and knowledge for his own ends.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Well also bcuz he immediately deflects into talking about how bad he's had it which is all the incentive any1 needs to start talking about how, actually, I had it worse because

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Maron is an excellent interviewer, except when he's thirsty and just has his tongue hanging out over some young thing. When it's a guy he has some reverence for, he knows when to get out of the way - great interviews with Robin Williams, Phil Hendrie, Iggy Pop, Mel Brooks, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He also did the nearly impossible - get J Mascis to talk.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

This used to air on Channel 11 in NYC when I was a kid. I guess that was a main market for it because Mr. G, the channel's weatherman, had a big appearance on it.

I remember distinctly there was an episode where they fought a leprechaun and the main kid went on this tirade that the Irish are all drunk and wish they were British.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Maron and Gallagher their interview was the method where Gallagher proved just how bitter he was.

http://splitsider.com/2015/11/that-time-gallagher-displayed-his-true-awfulness-and-then-stormed-out-on-marc-maron/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Corek posted:

Speaking of Maron and Gallagher their interview was the method where Gallagher proved just how bitter he was.

http://splitsider.com/2015/11/that-time-gallagher-displayed-his-true-awfulness-and-then-stormed-out-on-marc-maron/

That's literally what we've been talking about for most of this page

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Sort of related. I've been watching Luke Cage and there's a character that often ends his sentences to Bob* like that, even in a kind of weird voice.

"I'm going to defeat you, Bob."
"I'm stronger than you, Bob."
"Overwrought exposition, Bob."

And it totally made me think of their Gallagher impersonations.

*not real name, I'm being spoiler friendly!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"I could be a Hero for Hire, Mahrk."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

C'mere, Kingpin, you thon of a bitch! Ker-THPLAT!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Good thing I just watched all the Halloween movies a week or two ago. Altho I feel I have to watch the theatrical cut of Curse now to fully appreciate how bad it is and it was pretty bad in the producer's cut to begin with.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
One upside to Halloween 6? Reminds me I need to watch American Friend

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm glad they finally got to mentioning Dogtooth on an episode. I watched that movie on a recommendation a while ago. What a weird-rear end movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hockles posted:

I'm glad they finally got to mentioning Dogtooth on an episode. I watched that movie on a recommendation a while ago. What a weird-rear end movie.

This is the second time they have. The first was Invisible child and how the parents in Dogtooth are better parents.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bobkatt013 posted:

This is the second time they have. The first was Invisible child and how the parents in Dogtooth are better parents.

Oh, I must have not been paying attention during that part. Still, Dogtooth is a movie that is right up their alley.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Hockles posted:

Oh, I must have not been paying attention during that part. Still, Dogtooth is a movie that is right up their alley.

I feel like it's an Eraserhead situation where it's too good to do a WHM episode on.

I mean they do We Love Movies sometimes, but that's for movies that are great, but also really stupid

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like it's an Eraserhead situation where it's too good to do a WHM episode on.

I mean they do We Love Movies sometimes, but that's for movies that are great, but also really stupid

That's why I found it weird that none of them have even tried watching Gotham. That show is fantastically stupid but generally pretty good, especially starting seasons 2 and so far 3.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know one of them said they started watching season 1, but got turned off. Shame, the show really picks up once they figure out what to do with Barbara.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

That's literally what we've been talking about for most of this page

I somehow assumed Maron and Gallagher came up separately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I knew I should have been more descriptive. I mean, their personal preference of movies. Not necessarily for a WHM episode.