Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is the sequel to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc by Spike Chunsoft and was released on Japanese PSPs in 2012 and the rest of the world on the PSVita in 2015. Both games also saw releases on PC via Steam in 2016. The localization was handled by NIS America, and by virtue of being Vita/PC titles feature higher resolution art assets and better sound quality. I will be playing the Vita version of Danganronpa 2 through my PSTV, unless I suddenly fall into $30 to re-buy it on PC. (Update: A copy of the PC version was generously gifted to me during Chapter 1 so I'm using it now. Expect 60fps videos during the Trials!)

The game is a visual novel, but like the first game contains a number of court trials that give the player control during the action minigames they're comprised of.

As for the plot, well, I don't really want to get into it! Just know that the game for the most part expects you to have played the first game. If you haven't, you'll miss out on a lot of details. That said, if you aren't familiar with the first game, I just finished up an LP of it that you can find here:
Let's Play Archive Link

And now, a warning from my previous LP:

quote:

A fair warning to anyone following the LP that has not seen the game before: There are a LOT of spoilers for this game out there online. Fan art, comics, reviews, even the official game artwork can reveal endgame spoilers if you're not careful. Even the names of the individual tracks in OST can be spoilers. I would recommend to anyone that hasn't seen the game before do not Google anything about this game series at all. You do so at your own risk.

More than that, there is a Danganronpa 3 anime series that has just finished airing that completely spoils every single aspect of this game, the first game, and the spin-off sequel. Additionally, there is currently another game sequel in development titled New Danganronpa v3 that is due to release in Japan next January and may even see its Western release during the course of this LP. Please, be careful should you be looking up info on this series. There are unmarked spoilers for this series everywhere.

When I began my Danganronpa 1 LP, I knew that I wanted to LP this game more. I liked it better than the first one, it was a little more polished, and there wasn't a finished LP of it on the board or LP Archive. So why didn't I? Well, the previous LP of DR1 done by orenronen was on the PSP using his own translation. Since then, the localized Vita versions had released and I had really enjoyed them. I decided to LP DR1 for two main reasons. First, I felt that it was worthwhile to have an LP of the localization done. Second, I didn't want to show up with an LP of DR2 nearly 3 years after his LP finished and require anyone interested to have to go back and read his whole LP as a prerequisite.

So that's why I decided to just go ahead and LP the first game before I tackled this one. I'm glad I did, too. In some ways, the first LP felt like a test run. I eventually established my workflow, but not before I had to go back and rewrite nearly 50 updates to make up for formatting changes I made partway through the LP. Now, with all the experience and time I put into DR1's LP, I think I can do an LP of DR2 even more justice than had I started with it last year.

Like the previous LP, this will be done in Hybrid format. Updates will be done in screenshot format with OST links, and supplemental audio and video will be provided whenever I deem necessary. Class trials will all have video links alongside their text updates because they are fully voice acted and I feel like something is lost when you don't see or hear them in motion. All videos will be behind Polsy links to avoid as many spoilers as possible and will be denoted with :siren: emotes surrounding them.

The game has a lot of spoken dialogue, as well as inner-thoughts and bolded words and phrases. As such, I'll be using normal, italicized and bolded text to represent those differences. When reading a conversation, if I have anything I need to say, I will preface my words with this image to let you know the game isn't talking at that moment:

A brief note about the update schedule. I am now a full-time student finishing my undergraduate degree. I no longer have the luxury to work all day long on the LP like I did this past summer in trying to finish DR1. I hope to keep a small backlog and a regular schedule of "as they get finished" when it comes to posting updates. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be times when I can post daily updates and times where I might have to drop down to once every three or four days, maybe a week depending on my workload and other commitments. Some might question why tackle such a large LP under these circumstances. I'm basically just doing it out of love for this game and series and the knowledge that there are still a number of people on this forum that have never finished this game after the first LP attempt was abandoned.

-You are allowed to talk about spoilers from this game with spoiler bars only.
-You are allowed to talk about spoilers from the first game without spoiler bars.
-You are not allowed talk about spoilers for the rest of the series. This includes the novels, the sequel Ultra Despair Girls, the Danganronpa 3 anime, and everything related to New Danganronpa v3 especially once it releases.

For those of you who haven't witnessed the game before, speculation and discussion is welcomed and encouraged. It was a lot of fun to read the speculation people came up with during the first LP and I'd love to see more of it here.

If you want to discuss the series in general, there is a series megathread over in Games you can post in.

Update: Both Betting Pools are now closed AND KILLING HAS BEGUN. If you are new to the thread as of mid-November don't click either of these links below because you will be spoiled!

A small thread contest has begun! Two Betting Pools have been created with the idea of guessing who the survivors will be at the end of the game. The two pools are divided as follows:

The No-Spoilers Betting Pool: For complete newcomers to this game. All 16 characters are listed.
The Spoilers Betting Pool: For those readers who read the original LP that stopped at the start of Trial 3. Only the characters still alive at the start of Trial 3 are listed.

Here is the link to the No-Spoilers Betting Pool (Updated 7/14/17). (Original No-Spoilers Betting Pool here.)

:siren: Do not click the link inside this spoiler if you were not someone who read the original LP because it spoils who dies up to Trial 3!!! :siren:
Here is the link to the Spoilers Betting Pool (Updated 7/14/17).

Each pool will have its own separate winner. Anyone who manages to predict the survivors of this game will be entered into a raffle to win a forums Avatar Gift Certificate. If no one guesses all the survivors correctly, I'll award a certificate to the person who has the most correct predictions. The cutoff for submitting predictions will be 24 hours after the first round of Free Times in Chapter 1. I'll update this section of the OP again when submissions are closed. You can thank Jimmy4400nav for the original idea for this contest.

Good luck with your predictions!

Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10

Chapter 1
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13

Chapter 2
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13

Chapter 3
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Trial 3 Addendum
Monomi Mode

Chapter 4
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Joke Update #1
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Free Time Roundup #1

Chapter 5
Daily Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Deadly Life
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Joke Update #2
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part ??

Chapter 6
Part 0
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Class Trial
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 13
Part 13
Part 13
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15

Epilogue

End + Extra Content

FPzero fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Welcome to Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.

: I'm FPzero and I'll be taking everyone through this lovely, peaceful game.

: We'll be playing the game in English, with the Logic Difficult set to Mean and the Action Difficulty set to Kind. This means that during Trial sequences I will have more choices to choose from, but the action sequences won't be too terrible. I remember the action in this game being a lot more challenging than the first game so I'm going to keep it at a reasonable level. The Gentle settings will actually remove some gameplay mechanics so we want to stay far away from them.
: With that, let's begin!

No Music.

???: Hey... Can you hear me?

: Are you okay? ...You seem pretty out of it. To be honest, I'm also... No, everyone else feels the same, too. Since we suddenly...got put in this weird situation.
: ... ...Hey, are you listening?

...I don't understand.

Why am I...here...?

...What happened? I should try to remember that first...

I began to think, disentangling the twisted knots that had formed in my mind.

Think-think-think-think-think-think-think.

As I gathered the fragments of my scattered memories, I began to piece together what actually happened...

... ...

That's right...I... I...

:siren: Click here to Start the Game! :siren:

: A few quick notes here about how the game displays text and how I'll be writing the updates. White text is spoken dialogue and will be written in the updates as unformatted text, accompanied by a character portrait for clarity. Blue text are the Main Character's inner thoughts and will be written using italicized text. Yellow text are important words or phrases the game calls out and they will be written using bolded text. I will try to keep my interjections to a minimum during conversations.

That day...it wasn't just a typical day for me... It was a day that felt...truly significant.

And when that long-awaited day finally came, I felt proud in a way I can't really put into words. I fely like...I had just become a part of something greater than myself. Does that make sense? Actually, that's exactly what it was like... I was truly in a dream.

Hope's Peak Academy... That place was so much more than a school to me. Kids who love to play baseball will long to join the major leagues... Kids who love to play soccer will long to join a rep team... And ever since I was a kid, I've felt the same way about Hope's Peak Academy...

Hope's Peak Academy is a government-funded school for the privileged elite of society. It recruits top students from every imaginable field to inspire hope, and in doing so, shape the future. Whenever Hope's Peak Academy is mentioned, it's only a matter of time before someone says...

"If you come here and manage to graduate, you'll be set for life."

And just so you know, that's not a joke or an exaggeration at all. Many of the current leaders of various industries are actually alumni of this school... Well, that's basically what Hope's Peak is all about. As they say, it's truly the Academy of Hope.

There are two criteria you must meet in order to attend this school... One, you must be a current high school student. Two, you must be the very best at what you do. Unlike other schools, there aren't any entrance exams at this academy. The only way to get in is if the school scouts you itself... That is how Hope's Peak Academy operates.

Now, because of the talents of those who are chosen... The students of Hope's Peak Academy are called Ultimates. But even though I'm finally going to Hope's Peak Academy, the school I desired more than anything else... The truth is, my circumstance is a little different than that of my peers.

...Well, I guess I can put that aside for now. You'll find out soon enough, and it's nothing special worth talking about...I think. Anyway...I guess I should introduce myself first.

: Voice Actor: Johnny Yong Bosch

: I'm not so special that I *have* to introduce myself, and formalities are always a little embarrassing... Well, this *is* what's expected... I guess that's how I should think about it.
: My name is Hajime Hinata. There's only one reason I came to Hope's Peak Academy... Because I admired Hope's Peak Academy. To me, attending Hope's Peak Academy is like being a celebrity or a superhero. In fact, instead of calling it admiration, it's more like...it's always been a dream of mine. That's why, to feel like a member of society, to become someone I can be proud of, I always wanted to...

For that reason alone, I always wanted to...

For that reason alone, I always...

always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always al

Music cuts out.

ways...until now, I never wanted to admit how painfully ordinary I really am. That's why...hope...

I might have admired talent▪individuality...▪but I have finally...forever●tried my best...finally came tru3+d

No Music.

Huh...?

...What is this?

...It's a door.

There's a door.

...Still, I need to hurry.

Because I need to go inside this classroom.

...Need? ...What "need"?

No... I should hurry.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 5, 2018

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Been waiting for this one. The first game was good, but this one just blows it out of the water.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Here's to a new LP :toot:

This brings back memories of the SDR2 LP oren did in the old days where after the first update there where like 10 pages of discussion before the second one.....that was something.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
:toot: This game was super addicting, especially once I got past where oren's LP left off. It was a blast figuring out the mysteries blind. It's a different experience playing it yourself. Highly recommended to anyone with any interest; it's on Steam for Mac and PC.

IceBorg posted:

This brings back memories of the SDR2 LP oren did in the old days where after the first update there where like 10 pages of discussion before the second one.....that was something.

it sure was something... something awful

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

:toot: This game was super addicting, especially once I got past where oren's LP left off. It was a blast figuring out the mysteries blind. It's a different experience playing it yourself. Highly recommended to anyone with any interest; it's on Steam for Mac and PC.

Its also on Vita, and coming out for PS4 early next year alongside the first game. Here's the trailer for that. (Just keep in mind, though it IS Polsy'd, it's a trailer for a murder mystery; there's spoilers if you know where to look.)

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Hopefully with the game being available on Stream, there won't be so many insane theories.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:neckbeard:

I'm ready for a wonderful fun time adventure! :neckbeard:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Reading the first thread gave me a new appreciation for the first game, but I've always loved #2 and am extremely glad everyone will get to meet my favorite character in the Dangan Ronpa series.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
DR2 is a beautiful example of sequel escalation working. More or less everything is back but better in at least two ways.

It'll be nice to see an LP thread without the... somewhat exceptional volume issue the last one had.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's time. :getin: I'm going to enjoy being mostly in the dark on this one.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I love this game so much.

And while I'm one of the people who actually like Naegi, Hinata's such a better character. And it also has my other favorite character of the series, though some here may think he's overplayed.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I bought this game just after your LP of the first one ended, and while I haven't been as able to get into it as I'd liked, I've finished the second trial and am having loads of fun with it. I'm looking forward to this LP still.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Even having been spoiled on a few of the points (the bad guy or guys, their motivation, and what's up with the glitches), I'm still looking forward to this game and trying to solve its mysteries. I imagine most of the game can't be answered by those big things.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

FPzero posted:

: Voice Actor: Johnny Yong Bosch
Wait, is this the same guy who used to be one of the Power Rangers? Never knew he went into voice acting.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Wait, is this the same guy who used to be one of the Power Rangers? Never knew he went into voice acting.

One of the most prolific in the industry, actually. I'm surprised you didn't learn this earlier.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

This was pretty much my reaction when I first found out about it. It still seems weird to me that a guy I grew up watching on TV is still showing up in my entertainment years later.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this! I don't know quite as much about DR2 as I did about DR1, so I might as well be going in blind here. Here's hoping my theories aren't wildly off the wall!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

serefin99 posted:

This was pretty much my reaction when I first found out about it. It still seems weird to me that a guy I grew up watching on TV is still showing up in my entertainment years later.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this! I don't know quite as much about DR2 as I did about DR1, so I might as well be going in blind here. Here's hoping my theories aren't wildly off the wall!

Not seen in this pic:
Artemus in the Viz Sailor Moon Dub

also, just take a look at this page:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/johnny-yong-bosch/

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

mateo360 posted:

Not seen in this pic:
Artemus in the Viz Sailor Moon Dub

also, just take a look at this page:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/johnny-yong-bosch/

Also missing is Rush Sykes from The Last Remnant and probably a whole bunch more too.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ooh, this'll be fun to finally have a complete LP of this game on the forums. I hope people keep the speculation coming, so I can vicariously experience it all for the first time again. :allears:

I'll try to shut up and not whinge about the English audio, cause this game does have a good dub. It's just that no one could even hope to compete with the Japanese voice for the best character in the whole drat franchise.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

This'll be fun. I'm looking forward to your times on a peaceful island where nothing bad happens.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

They included the P4 protagonist but left out Adachi? For shame.

(Adachi is great, but I'm going to be unable to take Hajime seriously during any of the trials now.)

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
To be honest I preferred DR1 better when it came to the characters interacting with each other, but there's a lot of great characters in 2 who overshadow a lot of the ones in 1. They're both great games, though, and the trilogy (I thought) tied together really well.

I'm really looking forward to watching new peeps jump and guess at things. It's always fun watching others trying to figure something out that you already know. XD

Just a wonder, but will you do some sort of reaction/break down/let's watch thing for 3 (the anime)? It'd be interesting to see and cap off the series with. (Yeah, I know, way early to be asking about, but still.)

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Ah, sweet. I was really curious about this game after Oren's shot at it. Didn't want to actually play through so I'll leave it to you.

I remember Hinata being more aggressive than Makoto. I hope he lives up to my expectations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: ...
: ...Huh?

Female Voice 1: ...Who goes there?

: ...Eh?

Female Voice 2: Um...are you feeling all right? You look quite pale...

: Ah, um...

Female Voice 3: Hey, could you be... You're also a freshman at this school, right?

: Ah, then... you're all...?

Male Voice: See for yourself. We're all freshmen, too.

These guys... Everyone? The freshmen who were accepted into Hope's Peak Academy... The Ultimates?

Female Voice 4: I assume...freshmen like us have been gathered in this classroom.

Gathered...?

: ...Hey, why don't you just come inside for now?
: Eh? Ah, yes of course!

...Wait, why am I being so polite? I know they're called the Ultimates, but they're still high school students like me... That's right... First impressions are crucial in moments like this! I need to act more confident!

Thus, to hide my nervousness from the others, and while trying my very best to act cool... I stepped inside, closed the door behind me, and sat in an open seat at the back of the classroom.

Anyway...what just happened earlier?

I wanted to be here, and then a classroom door appeared right in front of me... As if I was drawn to it... But...how did I walk to this classroom?

I don't remember... Something's...weird...

: Um...excuse me?

: ...What is it?
: Why are we all gathered in this classroom? No one said anything about coming here, so...is there like, an entrance ceremony or homeroom happening now?
: Actually...we were just about to discuss that matter.
: Discuss?
: Well...since you are the last student to arrive, let's start the discussion.

: Eh, this is everyone? How do you know?
: There are only sixteen desks in this classroom, and this guy is the sixteenth student...
: It's obvious if you bother to think about it...!

: And just what are we gonna talk about? The reason we're all gathered here in this classroom?
: First, I need to confirm something. Out of everyone here... Is there anyone who actually remembers how they came to this classroom?
: ...Eh!?

We all looked around at each other. A surprised look appeared on everyone's face... Not one person raised their hand.

: So before you realized it, you were in this classroom... Then everyone here is in the same predicament...
: No matter how you look at it, it's unnatural. Even you stupid-looking ones would agree, right?

: I-It sure is strange. Nobody actually remembers how they came here...
: ...Hey! What do you mean, "stupid-looking"!?
: The moment you set foot on campus, you felt a strange dizziness, and now you're here and you don't know why...
: That is what I experienced before I arrived here. Am I correct in assuming that's true of all of you?
: Th-That happened to me too, but...
: Eh!? That dizziness wasn't just me? Everyone felt the same dizziness...that's weird!

: E-Even if it's just a coincidence...it feels too good to be true...
: So you're saying it's not just a coincidence, then...

: ...Hm?
: Meaning...we can only speculate who's responsible for this strange phenomenon.

Wh-Who's responsible...? What is it...? It feels like...this is going to get even stranger...

: Hah! I don't know what you're so worried about, but that doesn't sound like a huge deal...

: ...What do you mean?
: I mean it's a minor problem. Instead of trying to figure out why we're here, we should try to figure out why we can't leave...

: Huh? Whaddaya mean we can't leave?
: Eh!? S-Seriously!?

I watched him rush over to the door and try with all his might to pull it open, but...

*Clatter-clatter-clatter!*

: I-It won't open! I can't open it!
: ...Huh, why!?

: A little while after I got here, I tried to leave to go take a poo poo...
: But that door wouldn't budge at all!

: Hey, hey...what's going on?
: Even with all my might, I couldn't open it! It'd be absolutely impossible for all of you...

: Eh? What do you mean you couldn't open it? Why? That's not possible!
: S-She's right! It's impossible! Because...when I went through the door, it opened normally... It wasn't locked at all...!

: Though I don't understand what forces are at work here...
: ...There's no denying that we have been locked inside this classroom.

...Locked inside?

: Wh-What do you...mean...?

I suddenly became aware of how heavy my body felt... As though a feeling of unspeakable dread began settling on my shoulders.

: M-Maybe we're...getting mixed up...in something dangerous?

: Or perhaps... Doesn't it make more sense to think that this is the entrance exam?
: ...The entrance exam? You mean, Hope's Peak Academy's?
: But...according to Hope's Peak Academy, no such entrance exam exists.
: They may say that publicly, but it's possible that this is actually a special entrance exam.

Music cuts out.

???: Ah, you're wrong. This is not an entrance exam.

: What was that just now?

: Hey, fatass... Why'd you make that cutesy voice all of a sudden?
: I won't dispute your blunt remark about my weight. But that voice you just heard was not mine...
: ...Huh? Then whose is it?

???: Um, it's actually mine!

: Who's there!? Where are you!?

: It sounds like it came from behind the teacher's desk...

Behind the teacher's desk...?

???: All right! I see everyone has arrived! Let's begin!

:siren: Click here for a video! :siren:

: What...is that...?
: Um... It looks like a stuffed animal...
: That's right, I am a squeezably soft stuffed animal. Magical Miracle Girl ★ Usami...A.K.A. Usami! I may not look like it, but I am your squeezably soft teacher. Nice to meet you all!

: H-Huh? Am I hallucinating? Am I the only one who's seeing this?
: Nah, I see it too...
: What's with this talkin' Chihuahua!?
: Eh!? That's a Chihuahua!?

: Voice Actress: Rebecca Forstadt
: ...Does everybody here know what a rabbit is? It's a loveable animal that's very fluffy and soft.
: That's what I am! A singing, dancing, talking rabbit mascot!
: H-Hold on! Let me process this first!
: Okie-dokie!
: Um...what do you guys think? I-I've never seen a stuffed animal that can sing, dance, and talk before...

: I-It's probably remote controlled or something... Don't act like such a pussy over a child's toy.
: E-Even if it's remote controlled, doesn't it look too lifelike? That's pretty advanced for a toy...

: Its movements and mannerisms are not the issue. More importantly, based on what it just said...
: It seems you know something about our current situation...!
: Of course I do! I'm the lead teacher of this school trip!
: School trip...?

: Hey...what do you mean, school trip?
: A large group of students go on a chaperoned trip with a lead teacher! It's the biggest event of the school year!
: W-We're not looking for such a literal answer...

: Now let's depart for the fun school trip!

Depart?

:siren: Click here for a video! :siren:

: ...Huh!?

I couldn't believe my eyes. Not just my eyes, but my brain, too... The world just stopped making sense... The classroom collapsed like a stage set, and what appeared before me instead was... Blue sky...white clouds... Blue sea...white waves...

: What...the hell is this!?

No matter how I tried to rationalize it, it was...abnormal.

Clearly unreasonable.

Utterly crazy.

Blatantly wrong.

: Um...
: Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-What!?
: This is a joke...right?
: Wh-Where are we!?
: Huh!? Wh-What's going on!?
: Everyone! Please stay calm!

: There is no reason to panic! Seeeeee? Look around! Feast your eyes on this beautiful ocean... It's like your heart is being washed clean, isn't it...? It washes away everything...even all the bad things...

: Hold on, give us the details...! Where in the world are we?
: "Where," you ask...? Well, obviously we're...
: "Out where it's better! Out where it's wetter!"
: ...Out by the sea!

: I-I understand this is the sea, but...what are we doing here!?
: You know...you throat's gonna get hoarse if you keep screaming like that.

: But...we were just at school and now we are by the sea... This is impossible...
: Please do not worry. The school trip has just started! That's all!

: But, like, why are we on a school trip all of a sudden!? You totally skipped alllll the stuff that comes first!
: Sh-She's right...! We're all supposed to be attending Hope's Peak Academy.
: Ah, Hope's Peak Academy... I seeeee, I seeeee... You don't say... You guys are feeling unsure about Hope's Peak Academy. Then, in that case...
: Please forget about Hope's Peak Academy! That's why we're having a school trip in the first place!
: ...Huh?

: The hell do you mean we should forget about it!?
: Hey...what are you? Just what are you scheming?

: Wha-Wha-Whaaat!? I'm not scheming anything! I'm doing this for everyone's sake! I'm praying from the bottom of my heart that hope will grow within everyone's heart!
: There's nothing dangerous on this island whatsoever! So please, there is no need to worry at all!

: Island...? Did you just say "island"?
: Yup, and it certainly is beautiful. It was prepared just for us, an island free from other people and danger.
: Are you saying...this island is uninhabited?

: Perhaps...you brought us to this uninhabited island to make us kill each other...!?
: Ha-wa-wa!? K-Kill each other!?
: Nuh-uh! No way! Bloody business, like causing violence or inflicting pain, is a big no-no on this island! Even the word "kill"... Just saying it horrifies me!

: Kyaah! So scary!
: Then...what is this "school trip" you mentioned? What do you intend for us to do on this island?

: All righty! I shall announce it to everyone right now!
: While you all relax on this island paradise, you must get along and strengthen your bonds with one another! That is the main rule on this heart-throbbing school trip!

: "Heart-throbbing school trip"...?
: Spend these peaceful and relaxing days nourishing hope and lazing about, free from pain, free from suffering. Truly, this lovey-dovey heart-throbbing school trip is...

: ...everyone's homework!
: Wha-! What the hell does that even mean...!?
: Now then...
: Let the heart-throbbing school trip begin!

Music fades out.

It goes without saying, but...I had no idea what she was talking about. I couldn't follow her words at all...

And then, just like that... Like a curtain slowly lowering...

...My mind ground to a halt.

:siren: Click here for the game's Opening! :siren:

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 28, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Looks like Togami gained quite a bit of weight.

And hello mr almost anagram.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fatogami is one of my favorite things in this game. :allears: Nidai is also great, from what I remember of Oren's old LP.

Qrr posted:

And hello mr almost anagram.

To explain for those unaware, "Nagito Komaeda" has all of the letters that make up "Makoto Naegi" and then "da". In other words, you can rearrange his name to spell "Makoto Naegi da" which is "I'm Makoto Naegi" in Japanese. :eng101:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair is a chill game about making friends and nourishing hope. Please relax and enjoy. :)

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Was it really necessary for the intro to include a leg shot for each girl with a skirt?
I guess the answer is... anime.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

"A Magical Girl Rabbit takes 16 kids to an island for a class assignment."

....Only in Dangan Ronpa 2 does that statement make any sense.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Sessile posted:

Was it really necessary for the intro to include a leg shot for each girl with a skirt?
I guess the answer is... anime.

Funnily enough, there were nine leg shots in the intro: one each for all the girls except Ibuki, one for Hajime, and a dual one for Nagito and Teruteru.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ManicVolcanic posted:

Funnily enough, there were nine leg shots in the intro: one each for all the girls except Ibuki, one for Hajime, and a dual one for Nagito and Teruteru.

Ibuki checks out, since she's obviously an oni.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ManicVolcanic posted:

Poor Komaeda, how come he had to share a screen with somebody instead of getting one all his own, and he got stuck with Teruteru of all people? This is an outrage!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Hot dang Byakuya, you REALLY wanted to get away from Toko didn't you.

I mean, that's the only logical explanation for why he is now Byakuya Ala' Grande.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hot dang Byakuya, you REALLY wanted to get away from Toko didn't you.

I mean, that's the only logical explanation for why he is now Byakuya Ala' Grande.

I somehow doubt that would work on her. Genocide Jack, maybe, but then she'd start killing people again.

Maybe it's not the same Byakuya? Considering how weird the Togami family is, it wouldn't surprise me if they also had a really weird naming scheme.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Motherfuckin' Fat Togami :getin:

Looking forward to a happy fun time where nothing bad can possibly happen!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Double Punctuation posted:

I somehow doubt that would work on her. Genocide Jack, maybe, but then she'd start killing people again.

Maybe it's not the same Byakuya? Considering how weird the Togami family is, it wouldn't surprise me if they also had a really weird naming scheme.

If it is, it's a serious twist. There's way, way too many similarities for him to be another Byakuya Togami.

I mean, if he's a fat clone, then that would be cool too but not as cool as him having a reason for getting huge.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ManicVolcanic posted:

I don't think Teruteru counts, that was more of a belly shot.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Ah, this game. It's good to see a peaceful vacation where absolutely no one will get murdered. :unsmith:

Also, it's funny how we got the character names and their first appearances in the same update, just so we can confirm that yes, that fat kid really is Byakuya Togami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I haven't played this game and I know nothing which wasn't covered by the first LP, (except for one mild character spoiler which could be guessed anyway). But wow the opening of this game sure is highly suspicious on so many fronts.

• Locked thread