Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

FSOT is tomorrow. Any last minute advice?

humility is death

e: Page 300 Intruder On the Compound

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Mantis posted:

humility is death

Won't be a problem. I'm like Alexander the Great if he had no pedigree or accomplishments.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Won't be a problem. I'm like Alexander the Great if he had no pedigree or accomplishments.

You'll fit right in.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

It bleeds over to EER seasons as well, where every officer is the second coming of Richard Holbrooke.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
I took the FSOT again today. Now I'm officially on the carousel twice. My OA score is probably good enough from my previous candidacy to get me all the way through, but it doesn't hurt to take it again.

Nothing like seeing a test question, narrowing it down to two possible answers, choosing one, coming home and googling it, and finding that you chose the wrong answer. Oh well.

sociablegoldfinch
Feb 18, 2016

zzonkmiles posted:

I attended my first Flag Day for FSS yesterday. That was pretty incredible. I loved watching the reactions of the FSSs when their names were called and they went up to claim their flag and take a picture. You could clearly see who was happy with their assignment, who was forcing a smile, and who was miffed that their plum choice was assigned to someone else. Heh.

I was one of the ones that got a flag :) Wish I had known you were there and we could have introduced ourselves :)

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

sociablegoldfinch posted:

I was one of the ones that got a flag :) Wish I had known you were there and we could have introduced ourselves :)

Awwww too bad! I was sitting in the front row between a family whose OMS daughter was sent to India and a woman whose IMS husband was sent to Russia.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So PearsonVUE forgot to tell my consulate I was taking this test, so they don't have it ready and I can't take it. I'm also only in this city until Sunday and spent about $700 on travel and accommodations because I live pretty far away from here.

Dreams really do come true in the foreign service.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hope the consulate's in a cool city where you can have fun at least

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

So PearsonVUE forgot to tell my consulate I was taking this test, so they don't have it ready and I can't take it. I'm also only in this city until Sunday and spent about $700 on travel and accommodations because I live pretty far away from here.

Dreams really do come true in the foreign service.

That's loving bullshit. Sorry dude. :(

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

Hope the consulate's in a cool city where you can have fun at least

It is, but there is a tiny chance I can take the test tomorrow if they can get all the authorizations for the test. So as much as I'd love to go out drinking tonight I'd kick myself if I got the call tomorrow morning and was hungover as gently caress.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Aaaaand? Where?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Good luck if we have any goons in the generalist class with flag day today!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Update: PearsonVUE got my test rescheduled for tomorrow morning!...in a different consulate in a city 400 miles away.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Update: PearsonVUE got my test rescheduled for tomorrow morning!...in a different consulate in a city 400 miles away.

....how very helpful of them.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Sometimes things work better than this in the Department, I promise.

Sometimes.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hours on the phone has resolved the issue. I have now learned that neither PearsonVUE or the embassy is at fault and I will not be getting my money back.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Hours on the phone has resolved the issue. I have now learned that neither PearsonVUE or the embassy is at fault and I will not be getting my money back.

I would recommend sending an email about your experience to FSOTquestions at state dot gov. Surely an accommodation can be made to allow you to sit for the February test without penalty.

And in other news, I called DS for my monthly security clearance update. No progress. And it turns out that my score would have been good enough to get a January A-100 invite after all since they've given invites to candidates whose scores were lower than mine. It's like I'm this starving guy and I see a nice juicy turkey in front of me. I can smell it, but I can't taste it because it's behind a glass panel or something.

Oh well. Looks like I'll just have to hope for March or July.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

zzonkmiles posted:

I would recommend sending an email about your experience to FSOTquestions at state dot gov. Surely an accommodation can be made to allow you to sit for the February test without penalty.

And in other news, I called DS for my monthly security clearance update. No progress. And it turns out that my score would have been good enough to get a January A-100 invite after all since they've given invites to candidates whose scores were lower than mine. It's like I'm this starving guy and I see a nice juicy turkey in front of me. I can smell it, but I can't taste it because it's behind a glass panel or something.

Oh well. Looks like I'll just have to hope for March or July.

my computer died during the Feb round and i got to sit for the June no problem. Just need to document.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

zzonkmiles posted:

Both the State Department and PearsonVUE offered to "accommodate" me by scheduling me for the next round of tests, something I'm more than capable of doing myself, though whether or not the government or testing companies can hold up their end is now in doubt. The issue is that I spent about $700 on flights/travel/hotels to get here and now I have nothing to show for it. I didn't even want my money back, I just wanted a fair crack at this job same as everyone else who signed up and spent months studying.

I've talked to just about everybody on both sides, and of course everyone is trying to shift the blame to the other side. It's pretty obvious I'm not going to get refunded, or even an apology.

Best I got from the embassy was "we'll try and figure out what happened so it doesn't happen to someone else". Which is funny because that's like saying "we'll work to make sure someone else has a shot at the job we hosed you on".

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
File small claims and just sue, there's nothing more for you to lose

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

caberham posted:

File small claims and just sue, there's nothing more for you to lose

How would I go about doing that from Japan? Contact a US lawyer and try to sue PearsonVUE?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
That's a crappy situation but there's no way that the test proctor or the venue is going to refund monies paid to the travel industry. That's a non-starter. Hopefully the next go-around is smoother for you. Small claims court isn't the answer here.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nutrimentia posted:

That's a crappy situation but there's no way that the test proctor or the venue is going to refund monies paid to the travel industry. That's a non-starter. Hopefully the next go-around is smoother for you. Small claims court isn't the answer here.

Concur on all points - you'll lose more money in the lawyers' fees than you might possibly recoup. Plus, right or not, suing the government isn't going to be a positive in your eventual suitability review/security clearance adjudication.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah I'm not trying to sue the government or get in any legal poo poo while I'm overseas. Looks like I just gotta charge this one to the game.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
So enjoy this trip to a cool city!

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
If you paid by credit card you can dispute the charge since you didn't get what you paid for.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
You really can't. If you paid for plane tickets and a hotel and the plane took you to a place and the hotel let you stay there then you got what you paid for. The only thing you could dispute is the charge for the exam which is $0, right?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

1of7 posted:

If you paid by credit card you can dispute the charge since you didn't get what you paid for.

Yeah, that would be fraud for the plane and lodging...

While there is a possible charge for a no show ( according to the internet) that could be the only possible thing to dispute, but given the circumstances I'm not sure it would be charged in the first place.

TCD fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 11, 2016

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
My bad. I misread and thought there was a fee for the exam (and didn't know better since I've not taken it).

VASooner
Sep 27, 2016
Do people normally get their salary offer via email or snail mail?

QuackAttackAggie
Dec 16, 2014

VASooner posted:

Do people normally get their salary offer via email or snail mail?

Email. Sometimes you get two: one meant for somebody else in your class and one meant for you!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
And sometimes you get one with the wrong salary showing you fully stepped out, then when you sign it and send it in, they say "oops this is your real offer!" and send you a second one with a salary like $10k less.

Womp womp.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

QuackAttackAggie posted:

Email. Sometimes you get two: one meant for somebody else in your class and one meant for you!

I got one that had my classmate's name on it and had to write but "uh I'm not Mr. X" and they were like "oh sorry here's yours."

Then me an Mr. X became good friends and I was like "I know we make about the same amount of money. That's cool."

sociablegoldfinch
Feb 18, 2016

Leif. posted:

Aaaaand? Where?

zzonkmiles posted:

Awwww too bad! I was sitting in the front row between a family whose OMS daughter was sent to India and a woman whose IMS husband was sent to Russia.

Zzonkmiles, you were probably sitting next to my wife, small world!

I am one of the two IMS headed to Moscow! :)

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Zzonkmiles, you were probably sitting next to my wife, small world!

I am one of the two IMS headed to Moscow! :)

No way! Was she wearing red? Does she speak an Asian language? If so, she has my DOS business card, so you guys can keep in touch! Good luck! :)

VASooner
Sep 27, 2016
Can anyone explain the Step system to me? I just received my employment offer and let's just say it's much lower than anticipated at FP-5, Step 10 as an IMS candidate. I'm also a local hire, so no per diem while in orientation. Not sure we could take this big of a pay cut for 4 months even if we wanted to...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I was a local hire also. It was a bit hard to swallow when my co-workers were getting massive per diem I wasn't, but at least I didn't have to move my family.

Why were you expecting to come in higher? Did they discount some of your work experience as not relevant or something? If so you might be able to resubmit that to clarify how it is related to the position. Or are you asking more how and when you would receive step and grade increases if you accept? And make sure you are including dc locality pay when figuring out if the budget works.

VASooner
Sep 27, 2016

Tyro posted:

Yeah I was a local hire also. It was a bit hard to swallow when my co-workers were getting massive per diem I wasn't, but at least I didn't have to move my family.

Why were you expecting to come in higher? Did they discount some of your work experience as not relevant or something? If so you might be able to resubmit that to clarify how it is related to the position. Or are you asking more how and when you would receive step and grade increases if you accept? And make sure you are including dc locality pay when figuring out if the budget works.

Completely forgot about locality pay... Thank God. It looks like they didn't take into account 4 work years which should put me at either FP-4 Step 5 or FP-5 Step 12. Either would still suck for a few months, but that's much more manageable.

Thanks... Wife was freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

VASooner posted:

Completely forgot about locality pay... Thank God. It looks like they didn't take into account 4 work years which should put me at either FP-4 Step 5 or FP-5 Step 12. Either would still suck for a few months, but that's much more manageable.

Thanks... Wife was freaking out.

Look at the offer or ad you applied for.. When I came in people were only coming in at the 5 level, and you are admin'd to 4 after 18 or whatever months.