Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think you could reasonably do a gradual transition based on techs affecting how morale and defense works - at the start of the game an outnumbered force would get defeated quickly and take steep losses retreating, while towards the end battles last long enough to reinforce units under attack, and defeated armies can fall back and regroup quickly.

That way there'd be no hard transition between the two styles of warfare, just a gradual tipping point where the old ways stop being quite so effective. Kind of like the way it worked in the real world, where it took some time for generals to realize that attempts at grand, decisive battles like the Somme weren't actually such a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Phlegmish posted:

Game needs an option to say gently caress it, I don't want this province. It's like Portugal in EUIV after the latest few patches where you can't sell Ceuta because Morocco is always your rival even though (much like in real life) you would much rather be out colonizing and trading in peace than having to defend your lovely North African province.

"I hate you forever because you hold the sacred clay of Our Land!"

"Here, why don't you give me :10bux: and I'll give you your clay back."

"No! gently caress you! We hate you!"

"Okay, here you can have it for free."

"This is a trick! Bastard pig dog! NO NO NO!"

:downsbravo:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Probably historically accurate.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

This is why you sell it to some gullible third party, preferably one that you want to weaken/distract :v:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This is why you sell it to some gullible third party, preferably one that you want to weaken/distract :v:

This is the best thing to do in all situations. In EU3 when North Africa was just a black hole into which efficient technological process was lost forever, I would give those kinds of enclaves to an enemy so that they would either lose them or win wars and get more worthless land that helped me outtech them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Weird thought, but do you think that a Victoria game would work with HoI style units/combat? Vicky 2 uses a system similar to EU, and I find that it doesn't really do a great job at scaling up for the later game when you get into the WW1 era - even with your pops fully mobilized its hard to properly secure your fronts so you still end up playing a lot of whack a mole with enemy units pushing through the gaps in your defenses (either that or you spread your stacks so thin that they effectively offer no resistance). Plus, I kind of like the slow push of HoI battles where a unit that's defeated just falls back a province and regroups, which I feel better reflects the long, grinding nature of trench warfare, rather than having one huge pitched battle deciding the entire war the way it does in EU or CK.

The thing is that I don't know how well that system would really represent the EARLY part of the game. Victoria takes place in kind of a weird time period when it comes to warfare - the dramatic shifts in both technology and strategic philosophy would be hard to represent with a single system.

I guess gradually moving to the HoI system would be more realistic, but the only times I have ever had to whack a mole with enemies was in the very beginning when a single brigade of cavalry is enough to siege provinces and annoy you greatly if you ignore it. As soon as you get to like 1870 or so, every single war ends up mostly consisting of giant months-long battles that both sides keep throwing stacks into.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah. In fairness too, 99% of the time I use that option it's just to sell my English Continental holdings to France and be rid of them so I can consolidate Britain and play peaceful Simcity on my little island.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
combat isn't the point of vicky anyway

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

when the hell is hoi4 going to have jan mayen? the people want to know!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

- Austria-Hungary, after losing every war

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i can't bear to play hoi4 without it!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I've had two aborted Portugal games where Morocco and their allies would inevitably declare war on me over Ceuta and overrun my mainland provinces while I wasn't paying attention. That's totally on me for neglecting my military, but I wish it were possible for me to just dump that province at the start of the game. Is it possible to sell to a third party? I thought you'd just get the tooltip message about them not wanting it.

On an only slightly related note, does anyone else think Paradox went too far in the other direction with how Westernization works? It seems like by the 17th century everyone and their mother is Westernized, especially in West Africa. It's better than the reverse problem of non-European powers just being minor roadblocks, but it does lead to everything feeling very samey. It's like they just can't find a happy medium even after four games. It would be more interesting and historically accurate if you start out in 1444 as a European nation struggling and getting your rear end kicked more often than not, while by 1821 you're steamrolling everything outside of Europe except for the handful of non-European powers (and not literally all of them) that managed to Westernize in the intervening period.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Isn't there a return province button you can use to just give Ceuta back to morocco? Also why does iOS capitalize Ceuta but not morocco?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
you need one of the DLCs for that, I'm pretty sure

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

you need one of the DLCs for that, I'm pretty sure

I've got them all and I couldn't find that drat button the other day.

Thought I'd imagined it existed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Phlegmish posted:

On an only slightly related note, does anyone else think Paradox went too far in the other direction with how Westernization works? It seems like by the 17th century everyone and their mother is Westernized, especially in West Africa. It's better than the reverse problem of non-European powers just being minor roadblocks, but it does lead to everything feeling very samey. It's like they just can't find a happy medium even after four games. It would be more interesting and historically accurate if you start out in 1444 as a European nation struggling and getting your rear end kicked more often than not, while by 1821 you're steamrolling everything outside of Europe except for the handful of non-European powers (and not literally all of them) that managed to Westernize in the intervening period.
It's seesawed back and forth repeatedly just in EU4's version history.

The upcoming patch is completely replacing the tech group and westernization systems with something that'll probably behave weirdly in new and exciting ways.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 6, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Enjoy posted:

- Austria-Hungary, after losing every war

:(

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I'd have to disagree, for me personally a lot of EUIV's appeal comes from the way games diverge from historical reality, given the same starting point. It's why I've never been interested in the Random New World DLC.

Same to some degree, just balanced out by a mental peacenik tendency to play video games purely economically to build up the most beautiful and luxurious nations

I really with trade routes could change in EUIV. There are some locales that look interesting geographically, but are in a dead end trade-wise. I remember EUIII had things about building new centers of trade and such...I suppose that must come in expansion pack 15

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

it would be if it was good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stairmaster posted:

It honestly needs less combat focus not more.

It's a factory building simulator nothing more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phlegmish posted:

The EU4 dev team agrees. It just took them a while to think of a better system, but it drops this month alongside the new expansion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Stairmaster posted:

Vicky combat is ok, the lovely part is managing/rebuilding your armies when they shatter.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the fundamental difference between hoi combat and all other paradox combat is that armies in hoi occupy provinces as soon as they move into them but in other games you need to siege. that completely changes how you have to think about a war. i dont know how you would do smooth transition between those two styles

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I think a mix of the hoi style occupation with the new forts mechanics from EU4 would work nicely.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

the fundamental difference between hoi combat and all other paradox combat is that armies in hoi occupy provinces as soon as they move into them but in other games you need to siege. that completely changes how you have to think about a war. i dont know how you would do smooth transition between those two styles

Have a repeatable tech that lowers siege time?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I find Victoria 2 pretty much unplayable as a nation of any real size (EG: Russia) because industrialisation requires you to tediously micro-manage building factories and railways in so many places.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gort posted:

I find Victoria 2 pretty much unplayable as a nation of any real size (EG: Russia) because industrialisation requires you to tediously micro-manage building factories and railways in so many places.

Hold shift while upgrading railroads to upgrade all the railroads in the region.

Similarly, hold shift while upgrading full factories to upgrade every full factory at once.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Just go full-on liberal and enact productivity-friendly policy

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Have a repeatable tech that lowers siege time?

I think combining it with Jabor's idea could work.

Jabor posted:

I think you could reasonably do a gradual transition based on techs affecting how morale and defense works - at the start of the game an outnumbered force would get defeated quickly and take steep losses retreating, while towards the end battles last long enough to reinforce units under attack, and defeated armies can fall back and regroup quickly.

That way there'd be no hard transition between the two styles of warfare, just a gradual tipping point where the old ways stop being quite so effective. Kind of like the way it worked in the real world, where it took some time for generals to realize that attempts at grand, decisive battles like the Somme weren't actually such a good idea.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ThaumPenguin posted:

Hold shift while upgrading railroads to upgrade all the railroads in the region.

Similarly, hold shift while upgrading full factories to upgrade every full factory at once.

I knew this and I'm not sure it's particularly relevant.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
The main problem I had with playing any major nation in Victoria 2, but especially huge ones like China and Russia, was micromanaging huge armies. Once a Great War starts and you hit the button to mobilize, you end up with way too many units that need to be carefully micromanaged to avoid attrition. Features from HoI4 (like the battle planner and strategic redeployment) would help immensely with that though, so if they ever make V3 I hope they'll copy that.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gort posted:

I knew this and I'm not sure it's particularly relevant.

State Capitalism and increasing literacy is the answer.
Let your capitalists do it for you.

Apoffys posted:

The main problem I had with playing any major nation in Victoria 2, but especially huge ones like China and Russia, was micromanaging huge armies. Once a Great War starts and you hit the button to mobilize, you end up with way too many units that need to be carefully micromanaged to avoid attrition. Features from HoI4 (like the battle planner and strategic redeployment) would help immensely with that though, so if they ever make V3 I hope they'll copy that.

Don't mobilize then :confused:
Professional armies should be enough to overwhelm anyone.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Actually the real solution is to have all your professional armies not have any soldiers in them, and then plug in your conscripts into them.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The real way to win late game World Wars is build to win the early 1836-70 era so hard as a secondary power that the WW is an afterthought.

Or play China. Even with the nerfing of China by cutting it up into pieces, it's still really easy to become an unstoppable juggernaut by WW1 era.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think my thing is that I just want a game that combines the detailed economy in Victoria with the detailed warfare from HoI. I like the strategic depth of HoI but because it's entirely war-focused, most of the economic options are non-decisions (no reason not to crank up to war economy as soon as possible and just leave it there since it's objectively better even in peacetime). Manpower in HoI and EU is basically just another resource like money where so long as you have more than zero, you're fine.

Meanwhile, in Victoria you have to make decisions between focusing on economy or warfare - you can build factories that produce tanks but that doesn't mean you citizens will stop needing food and clothing. Likewise, the manpower pool in Victoria is actually drawn from you population, so losses mean something even if you win - every dead conscript is one less craftsman working in your factories or farmer working on your plantations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
For me Victoria breaks down when it comes to replacing a bunch of brigades in various armies after a war because the source pops get too small. I like the system in theory but in practice I would like a button to connect all redlined brigades to fresh pops, or even just have a general manpower pool.

I also don't like the random element of getting badboy while forging claims on territory, and how war claims are always max badboy. How would something like the U.S.'s acquisitions in the Spanish American war even be possible when the Philippines alone has three states?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao American acquisitions from the Mexican American War arnt even possible with the current system in Vicky 2

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randallteal posted:

I also don't like the random element of getting badboy while forging claims on territory, and how war claims are always max badboy. How would something like the U.S.'s acquisitions in the Spanish American war even be possible when the Philippines alone has three states?
The fact that justifying war is such a one-sided affair is also a bit weird. Taking some inspiration from crises* would probably not be a bad idea, in my opinion. You could basically keep the system as is (with tweaks for how much badboy you get), but then not just have it end with you getting your CB. Instead, the CB could basically be granted through reaching some crisis temperature (depending on the CB), after which you could choose to start the war if you want to. The crisis would continue to tick up though, until it reaches the end and war automatically breaks out with the CB as the justification. Between the CB first being acquired and war breaking out automatically, you would then be able to negotiate and possibly avoid a war by just conceding to the enemy, which end the whole thing in favor of one or the other, removing the CB in the process. At a higher crisis temperature (>CB treshold), the defender might also be allowed to start the war with a status quo CB, if they feel better served striking back rather than allow the enemy to choose when the war should start.

You could probably also have random events which have a variety of different effects, perhaps having a chance to trigger when diplomatic offers are sent. They could heat up or cool down the crisis (within a band to not trigger an automatic war/loss of CB), or grant additional appropriate CB (for either side), or possibly country modifiers which could have various effects, from reducing militancy in the face of foreign aggression to rebellion in the province which has been targeted for conquest/liberation.

That said, while I'm arguing for randomness here, I think it should be back-loaded, so the player would be better able to decide how much randomness they'll accept. You could have is so maybe the initial badboy you get for the original CB is going to always be in the range of 80-100% of the base cost, and define the base cost around that number, and then slowly ramp up the chance of random events as the crisis progresses towards the end.

*While I'm using the term crises, it's not meant in the sense that this should work entirely the same, with GP's always getting involved in poo poo. I guess they could at times, but I'm thinking basically taking the idea to another level where what happens during a crisis can be a bit more varied.

Agean90 posted:

Lmao American acquisitions from the Mexican American War arnt even possible with the current system in Vicky 2
Badboy should definitely be weighted according to the value of the province you're grabbing, which would make what America grabbed historically cheap, and make it so grabbing a single province chunk of a lovely state doesn't cost as much as grabbing an entire state in the middle of Europe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A White Guy posted:

Or play China. Even with the nerfing of China by cutting it up into pieces, it's still really easy to become an unstoppable juggernaut by WW1 era.

I haven't played Vicky in years, but I remember PDM adding a China-explodes-into-warlord-cliques event that was crazy fun. You just play that and ignore the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just hope there will be a DLC for EU4 with some sweet alternate history. Like MiscMod did (Years of Rice and Salt in EU4 please).