Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Naw. Don't drink Dewars. My grandfather likes it but he doesn't have good taste in liquor.

Old people have awful taste in liquor most of the time. Back in their day there were mostly only blends so they don't really know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The Balvenie 15 sherry cask is pretty good but good luck finding a bottle under $100. Abelour A'bunadh is probably the better choice for a lower price.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

My latest Drinks by the Dram order came in which is a weekly addiction now. So glad for their service - would never be able to afford this many good bottles if I had to buy the whole 70cl.

You guys all know this but Blanton's Gold owns, and is now a favourite for my sweet tooth:

Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt was an interesting coffee noted whisky:

Old Pulteney 17 also hit the right spots:

Tonight I'll be trying Dalmore 15 and Longrow 18.

This whisky malarky's good poo poo!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just picked up Templeton 6 year rye.

...I think I just really, really like rye. The only other I've had is the Rittenhouse Bonded, which I'm maybe halfway through the bottle, but my wife wanted to get me an anniversary present and I couldn't say no.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've been poking around on Drinks by the Dram and I'm curious, is there a subscription type service? Or do I need to handpick the samples I want for each order? I tend to not be very adventurous so it's kind of nice to have someone else do the choosing. On the other hand, I've had beer-of-the-month type services in the past and only very rarely did they give me something I was truly happy and impressed with.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Yay, finally went by the closest Trader Joes! Boo, no Finlaggan. Oh well, just have to get more Russel's Reserve and or Wild Turkey for everyday drinkin'. Could be worse!

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

silvergoose posted:

Just picked up Templeton 6 year rye.

...I think I just really, really like rye. The only other I've had is the Rittenhouse Bonded, which I'm maybe halfway through the bottle, but my wife wanted to get me an anniversary present and I couldn't say no.

Rye is the best. If you can find it I highly recommend redemption rye, there one with the tan label. Their other ones are okay but the main one is fantastic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Horn posted:

Rye is the best. If you can find it I highly recommend redemption rye, there one with the tan label. Their other ones are okay but the main one is fantastic.

Hrm. Templeton seems to be MGP rye which is fine, I like it. But redemption also seems to be MGP so I probably don't need it?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

I've been poking around on Drinks by the Dram and I'm curious, is there a subscription type service? Or do I need to handpick the samples I want for each order? I tend to not be very adventurous so it's kind of nice to have someone else do the choosing. On the other hand, I've had beer-of-the-month type services in the past and only very rarely did they give me something I was truly happy and impressed with.

Not sure about the sub service., but they do these:

https://www.masterofmalt.com/tasting-set/

Some of those tasting sets are crazy expensive (10,000+ dollarydoos) , but there's some reasonable ones in there too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh nice! Will probably gift to a few friends for Christmas this year.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

As a birthday present to myself, I found a bottle of Hibiki 12 at the LCBO. I wasn't planning on getting anything, but I'd never seen any Japanese whisky other than Nikka. I was personally hoping for some Yamazaki, but they don't have that here at all.

Oh well. Does anyone have a primer on Japanese whiskies? I'm not too sure which ones I should look for abroad.

Edit: just noticed it's not actually the 12 year old, but a specific new blend. I've been trying to find some info about it, but I won't be trying it until tonight.

Here she is with some of my other collection:

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 4, 2016

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Hrm. Templeton seems to be MGP rye which is fine, I like it. But redemption also seems to be MGP so I probably don't need it?

Doesn't Templeton add flavoring to their base MGP/LDI product? I swear I read that somewhere.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mojo1701a posted:

As a birthday present to myself, I found a bottle of Hibiki 12 at the LCBO. I wasn't planning on getting anything, but I'd never seen any Japanese whisky other than Nikka. I was personally hoping for some Yamazaki, but they don't have that here at all.

Oh well. Does anyone have a primer on Japanese whiskies? I'm not too sure which ones I should look for abroad.

Edit: just noticed it's not actually the 12 year old, but a specific new blend. I've been trying to find some info about it, but I won't be trying it until tonight.

How much did you pay for it, by the way?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh good more NAS poo poo.

I'm not buying anything without an age statement anymore.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

I bought that Hibiki as well thinking it was the 12. You absolutely have to put in a little water or it will be harsh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MalleusDei posted:

Doesn't Templeton add flavoring to their base MGP/LDI product? I swear I read that somewhere.

Seems to be yeah. Some guy on a whiskey blog has a very livid post about it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought that Hibiki as well thinking it was the 12. You absolutely have to put in a little water or it will be harsh.

Oh I definitely learned that. Water really brought out its texture. Almost like a juicy golden plum.

Weatherman posted:

How much did you pay for it, by the way?

A hair under Cdn$100. For that price I'm not getting it again, but it was definitely an interesting purchase and I don't regret it.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Went a bit hog wild this week, but I've stopped drinking beer and cider to replace it with something better. Hopefully this should last longer, but I wont bank on it ;)

£145 delivered

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Jamsta posted:

So I'm starting to really like sherry monsters after trying GlenDronach and Glenfarclas.

Anyone got any good recommends for other sherry casked whiskies which are reasonably priced? (<~ £/$/E 50)
I know this was form a page or so back.

Aberlour Abunadh. I got a bottle a few weeks ago, it's got a huge taste and is very strong(~60%). It really benefits from a drop of water.
Here's what spergs have to say about it: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aberlour/aberlour-abunadh-batch-45-whisky/

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mojo1701a posted:

A hair under Cdn$100. For that price I'm not getting it again, but it was definitely an interesting purchase and I don't regret it.

Thanks, I was just wondering. It's 5000 yen even at my local shop and I wondered how it went overseas.

spankmeister posted:

Oh good more NAS poo poo.

I'm not buying anything without an age statement anymore.

Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie would like to have a word with you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sure some NAS whisky is good. I haven't tried the classic laddie so idk about that but I personally like for example the Aberlour A'bunadh and the Ardbeg Uigeadal.

But the market is flooded right now with overpriced, underage NAS whisky, especially Japanese whisky.

I don't like this trend and I've decided not to take part in it anymore.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Some Good NAS Expressions:
Aberlour A'bunadh
Laphroaig QC
Ardbeg Uigeadail / Corryvrecken
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Most expressions from Compass Box (send them an email and they'll tell you what's in it)

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Some Good NAS Expressions:
Aberlour A'bunadh
Laphroaig QC
Ardbeg Uigeadail / Corryvrecken
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Most expressions from Compass Box (send them an email and they'll tell you what's in it)

I have the aberlour and the corryvrecken in my cabinet now. I'd also add the Nikka Coffey Grain. It's one of the few japanese whiskys I think that's worth the price of entry (and it's only around $60).

I'm not in love with the concept of NAS, or a preferred choice, but I can't write them off entirely. There are plenty of products out there that have gone that way due to demand and are still delicious.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Paul Proteus posted:

I have the aberlour and the corryvrecken in my cabinet now. I'd also add the Nikka Coffey Grain. It's one of the few japanese whiskys I think that's worth the price of entry (and it's only around $60).

Good point. Nikka actually does a good job with most of their NAS whiskys
I actually have a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel and Nikka Coffey Malt (which is quite different from the grain, but great as well)

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Weatherman posted:

Thanks, I was just wondering. It's 5000 yen even at my local shop and I wondered how it went overseas.

As a provincial liquor monopoly, the LCBO likes to hike its prices something fierce, especially on Japanese whiskies. Having said that, if it were $65 (77 yen/CDN) I'd consider it. I like its texture. It reminds me of those creamy Lindt chocolate balls, with an orange/sweet apricot flavour. Most Canadian whiskies of similar quality (but different character: the ones I've had usually run towards more sweet & spicy) will cost me about half of what this cost me. Even the Forty Creek Copper Pot was almost like chocolate and was $30 for the same size (though it's not quite as complex).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Funny, the Coffey Grain is an example for me of a not so good expression. It's got a lot of potential but is just way too rough.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Young whisky can work in a lot of ways but the light style of a grain whisky needs a few years in the barrel to mellow out, imo. The coffey grain just isn't quite there yet and it's exactly the problem with NAS whisky.

A good example of a good young whisky is the Benromach 5yo. It's quality stuff and they're not ashamed to put the age on the label. Very affordable to boot.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

My mom came back two days ago from her trip and surprised me with a bottle of duty-free Macallan Select Oak, but pointed out that while she paid 60 euros at duty-free store, she could've purchased it on the plane cheaper in Canadian dollars (oh well).

This got me looking at some of the duty-free exclusives, and I found that Johnnie Walker now sells an Island Green label. I remember the discussion here that the Green was the best bang-for-your-buck of their line, so I thought I'd ask if it was worth my time.

From what I can gather, they're using more Caol Ila in the blend to give it a smokier flavour. It sounds like it's to the regular Green what double black was to the black, but I'm not sure.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 - first impressions is that it's obvious it's the same juice as Russel's Reserve, but definitely more burn. Not sure yet if I'll get another bottle after this or stick to Russel's Reserve given the very slight price difference, but I'm sure not kicking it out of bed.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

NoVA goons! The Burke Center ABC has a few bottles of the Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey left. It's friggin delicious. It's mixed in with the Bourbon.

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 10, 2016

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
FYI, Coffey grain or Coffey malt whisky, and the name refers to the use of column 'Coffey' stills instead of pot stills.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

kidsafe posted:

FYI, Coffey grain or Coffey malt whisky, and the name refers to the use of column 'Coffey' stills instead of pot stills.

Interesting does that means if we've thought we tasted coffee notes it was false confirmation bias?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Interesting does that means if we've thought we tasted coffee notes it was false confirmation bias?

Maybe? I just get watermelon and vanilla.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jamsta posted:

Basically yes. I've only tried one whisky (not infused) with strong coffee notes, and that was Glenmorangie Signet. You really taste the roasted malt in that whisky, and it's lovely.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Corrected my spelling. I swear my breath smells of coffee after drinking it though.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

kidsafe posted:

Basically yes. I've only tried one whisky (not infused) with strong coffee notes, and that was Glenmorangie Signet. You really taste the roasted malt in that whisky, and it's lovely.

Added that to my wanted list - cheers!

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ardbeg Dark Cove (this year's special Ardbeg Day bottling) has got a definite hint of coffee grounds to the taste, nice stuff.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Dave Angel posted:

Ardbeg Dark Cove (this year's special Ardbeg Day bottling) has got a definite hint of coffee grounds to the taste, nice stuff.

I really enjoyed this whisky.

I've never had the Coffey grain whisky. $75 is a bit out of my budget for liquor right now, probably, but I'll float the idea. The ABC site shows it in stock in a few stores in Arlington.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ChickenArise posted:

I really enjoyed this whisky.

I've never had the Coffey grain whisky. $75 is a bit out of my budget for liquor right now, probably, but I'll float the idea. The ABC site shows it in stock in a few stores in Arlington.

That pricing seems really high. This is what I pay : http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Nikka_Coffey_Grain_Whisky_59290.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Yep, VA is state-controlled and generally pretty high-priced. Price and stock is online, at least.

For example, Laphroaig Single Malt is $50, on sale from $55.