Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's usually sign fatigue. Average store is plastered with so much writing nobody bothers reading any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

this is totally how real people talk and interact posted:

So here's what happened:

My friend, Mike, and his GF, Claire, went with a group of friends (I was among them) and we had a great time, except, there was an orbiter around Claire most of the time. He was COMPLETELY oblivious to the fact that Claire and Mike were dating and he was trying to win her love with his holy fedora by opening doors for her and other stuff that fedora wearing Knights like to do to get laid.

Well, Mike notices and decides to have fun with it. In front of the WK, he grabs her rear end, whisper to her all that and WK is VISIBLY pissed.

He tells Mike in private that, "You need to back off dude. She doesn't like that and it's rape." He laughs and ignores him and WK is telling Claire that, "if she needs help", or "she needs him to to help."

At this point Claire notices the WK and has fun also and tries to, in her words, "encourage him to do more". Now, they are not bad people, but they absolute HATE White Knights.

At the end of our day, they go with one last thing.

WK pulls Mike again and warns him, "Bro, one last time and I'm gonna kick your rear end. BACK OFF. She told me she doesn't want you and that she respects me. She is clearly not into you."

Mike replies, "Oh yeah? If you think you have a shot at her using your loving white knight skills, you need to see the real world bro. She isn't in to you st all, trust me and save yourself the touble."

Wk says, "I already warned you."

Mike replies, "Bro, I am gonna gently caress her real good tonight bro."

WK is getting redder and more angrier because his "true love" is getting threatened.

WK says, "are you trying to start a fight?"

Mike replies, "gently caress, you are retarded."

Then Mark(EDIT: MIKE, NOT MARK) says loudly, " Hey Babe! Do you love me?"

Claire says, "Huh? Of course! Why would you think not?"

I knew at this point, it was about to go down

Mike says, "Well, our friend here is convinced that you love him because of all the things he did for you. I think we should show him how thankful we are. You want the condom off, or on this time?"

Claire replies, "I think off is better. I like the taste."
(Sidenote : we are all aware of their sex life, and they know ours)

WK is SUPER embarrassed and literally runs out of the building and we haven't seen or heard of him since.

I will update later after work to tell you guys what happened to the WK once I talk to his friend, who, BTW is a girl.

EDIT : MARK--->MIKE. I DIDN'T NOTICE THE TYPO AND THOUGHT IT WAS A JOKE

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

It's incredible how a story can make me want to kill people... But here we are.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Non Serviam posted:

It's incredible how a story can make me want to kill people... But here we are.

Son of STDH

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

And both would be in the refrigerated section, right?

Get this: supermarkets usually have several refrigerated sections. That's what is so super about them.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If it helps, at the grocery store I usually go to, eggs and chicken are completely across the store. Almost as far away from each other as possible.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Aren't m'lady's and people that believe in the concept of consent/rape usually two entirely different groups?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xen Tricks posted:

Aren't m'lady's and people that believe in the concept of consent/rape usually two entirely different groups?
Depends on if it's useful to them at the time or not.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I don't think I ever bought eggs from a refrigerated section over here. They're just next to our non refrigerated milk.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

I don't think I ever bought eggs from a refrigerated section over here. They're just next to our non refrigerated milk.

yeah America is weird and puts eggs in the fridge unlike most of the world.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Two things about that egg story stand out to me:

1. Anyone ignorant enough to think that an old Asian guy who doesn't speak much English is the height of comedy absolutely does not know if he's Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or anything else.

2. Do they think this guy just goes through life communicating with ~wacky~ broken English? Older immigrants often live and shop in neighborhoods where people speak their languages.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I refuse to believe that if a Chinese person abroad couldn't find chicken in a store and didn't speak the local lingo that they wouldn't just keep asking angrily in Chinese. (Same as anyone else from a "big and important" nation.)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

1. Anyone ignorant enough to think that an old Asian guy who doesn't speak much English is the height of comedy absolutely does not know if he's Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or anything else.
"They're all Chinese, what's the difference"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Fathis Munk posted:

How do you keep milk from curdling?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Choco1980 posted:

UHT, presumably

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

yeah America is weird and puts eggs in the fridge unlike most of the world.

North American eggs are washed before they're distributed, so they don't last as long and have to be kept refrigerated. They also have different coloured yolks than European eggs because of consumer preference - Europeans like an orange yolk, North Americans prefer yellow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The colour of the yolk is due to diet, not preference.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Choco1980 posted:

UHT milk, but there's no demand for it because it's shite.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
You know, I really should have known better than start yet another milk derail. Please someone post the milk in plastic bag picture that this always ends on and let's just move on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

You know, I really should have known better than start yet another milk derail. Please someone post the milk in plastic bag picture that this always ends on and let's just move on.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Is that viper free milk though?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Certainly not.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

The colour of the yolk is due to diet, not preference.

It's actually both! Diet does affect the colour of the egg yolk, but many producers add synthetic carotenoids or use light-coloured feeds to tailor the yolk colour to whatever is considered most attractive/palatable in their region.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

Open it and see.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Owner Owning Up
Cafe | Denver, CO, USA | Awesome Workers, Bosses & Owners, Food & Drink

(My wife and I are at a work conference in Denver. On our way out of town, we stop at a little cafe to have an early lunch. The place is empty, and it seems like there is only one waitress and a cook in the whole place. The kitchen is open so you can watch the guy walking around. The waitress is pleasant and brings us our drinks promptly, and takes our orders.)

Wife: “I’ll have the [Burger] with fries.”

Me: “I’ll have the pastrami sandwich with fries.”

Waitress: “I’ll get that started for you. Anything else I can get you in the meantime?”

Us: “No, thanks.”

(As we wait, we can overhear the cook talking animatedly on the phone, though we can’t really tell what he is saying. He puts our order on the counter, lets the waitress know, takes off his apron, and walks out the back. The waitress brings us our food and everything looks all right. The waitress leaves and we start eating.)

Wife: “These fries are kinda overdone.”

Me: “They are pretty crispy…”

(I dig around and see that the deeper I go, the more well done they are.)

Me: “Actually, these are burnt.”

(My wife digs into her pile to find the same is true.)

Me: “I don’t know? Is it worth sending them back? You know how much I hate making a scene or wasting food.”

Wife: “These are beyond ‘oops they are a little overdone.’ They are so hard they are actually painful to eat, and taste terrible. Let’s just ask the waitress what she can do about it. We don’t have to yell at her; just be polite and ask what she can do about it.”

(I waive over the waitress.)

Me: “These fries are really kinda burnt. Is there something you can do about it?”

Waitress: *grabs a fry off my plate and examines it* “I’m so sorry, these are inedible. I’ll get another batch for you right away, and I’ll cook them myself.” *as she’s walking away she mumbles to herself* “I thought I heard him say something about ‘not too overdone; oh, well.’ I should have known.”

(In record time the waitress has returned with lovely fries.)

Waitress: “Here you are. Again, sorry about that. We’re a little short today, and the cook is trying to handle too many things at once. But he should know better.”

Me: “No worries, I understand. Mistakes happen. Thank you for fixing the situation.”

Waitress: *goes into the back*

(We eat a while longer, and everything is pleasant until I get to the second half of my sandwich.)

Me: “What the hell? The second half of my sandwich is ham, wrapped in a single slice of pastrami so you can’t see it until you bite into it.”

Wife: “Seriously?”

Me: “Yeah, look…”

Wife: “It’s a good thing you aren’t Jewish, or, you know, allergic to pork like me.”

Me: “I can’t believe they would do that… It still tastes good, so I’m going to eat it anyway, but I think I should talk to the waitress about it.”

Wife: “You should.”

Me: “I think I’ll wait till after we’re done and have paid. I don’t want to give the impression that I am looking for free food.”

(We finish eating, ask the waitress for the check, pay, get the receipt back, and have signed it.)

Me: *to waitress as she is clearing the table* “Can I talk to you about something quickly?”

Waitress: “Yeah, what’s up?”

Me: “I just wanted to give you some words to take back to the cook. If you run out of pastrami, let the customer know, and ask them if they are cool with a ham substitution, or if they’d rather have something else. If you burn the fries, own it and make a new batch before you send them out to—”

Waitress: *cuts me off* “Did your sandwich have ham on it?”

Me: “Yes.”

Waitress: “Hang on one sec. I’m gonna grab the cook.”

(She calls over the cook who has recently re-entered the building.)

Owner/Cook: “Hey, I’m [Cook], the owner of [Cafe]. What can I do for you?”

Me: “Hi, [Cook]. I just wanted to give you a couple pieces of friendly advice. If you run out of pastrami, don’t sub ham without asking. It wasn’t a big deal for me, but my wife is allergic and it could have been a serious situation. If you burn fries, own it, and remake them before the customer sees it. If you get a reputation for trying to slip things in ‘unnoticed’ and only fixing them if someone complains, you will go out of business. In a cafe, your food needs to speak for itself, and if you have to redo things all the time because of simple mistakes like burning the fries, you won’t last long. I’m not after anything; I ran my own business for years, and I just want to see other small business owners do well for themselves. And this wasn’t exactly a gold star for you. However…” *points to waitress* “She was your saving grace. Whatever you are paying her, she deserves a raise because she was on point during our whole visit. If she hadn’t been so polite and helpful, I might have just left and let you stumble along.”

Owner/Cook: *shocked look on his face* “I… I… You’re right. I’m sorry. You nailed it on every point. I ran out of pastrami, and didn’t feel I had time, so I fudged it. I burnt the fries but thought I might be able to get away with it, cause they weren’t black. Thank you for calling me on the carpet. I really appreciate you taking the time to say something polite and that you showed an interest in my business, not just your own lunch. [Waitress], their meal is on me.”

Me: “As I said, I’m not after anything in this situation. We both ate our food, and have already paid.”

Owner: “No, not good enough! [Waitress], go reverse the charge on the card!”

(She walks away.)

Owner: “I already pay her more than any of my other staff because she is the best. But you’re right, she probably deserves more.”

Me: “Well, why don’t we forget the reversal of charges and you can give the whole cost of the meal to her as a tip directly?”

(Before he can answer, the waitress returns with a reversal slip.)

Owner: “Too late. It’s on the house!”

(We chat with him for another ten minutes and enjoy it. As we stand to leave I pull the cost of the meal in cash out of my wallet and leave it under my water glass. As I walk out past the waitress:)

Me: “I left a little something on the table for you.”

Waitress: “Thank you so much for talking to the owner. I’ve never seen him react like that with anyone before. He usually gets upset!”

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tunicate posted:

Owner Owning Up
Cafe | Denver, CO, USA | Awesome Workers, Bosses & Owners, Food & Drink

(My wife and I are at a work conference in Denver. On our way out of town, we stop at a little cafe to have an early lunch. The place is empty, and it seems like there is only one waitress and a cook in the whole place. The kitchen is open so you can watch the guy walking around. The waitress is pleasant and brings us our drinks promptly, and takes our orders.)

Wife: “I’ll have the [Burger] with fries.”

Me: “I’ll have the pastrami sandwich with fries.”

Waitress: “I’ll get that started for you. Anything else I can get you in the meantime?”

Us: “No, thanks.”

(As we wait, we can overhear the cook talking animatedly on the phone, though we can’t really tell what he is saying. He puts our order on the counter, lets the waitress know, takes off his apron, and walks out the back. The waitress brings us our food and everything looks all right. The waitress leaves and we start eating.)

Wife: “These fries are kinda overdone.”

Me: “They are pretty crispy…”

(I dig around and see that the deeper I go, the more well done they are.)

Me: “Actually, these are burnt.”

(My wife digs into her pile to find the same is true.)

Me: “I don’t know? Is it worth sending them back? You know how much I hate making a scene or wasting food.”

Wife: “These are beyond ‘oops they are a little overdone.’ They are so hard they are actually painful to eat, and taste terrible. Let’s just ask the waitress what she can do about it. We don’t have to yell at her; just be polite and ask what she can do about it.”

(I waive over the waitress.)

Me: “These fries are really kinda burnt. Is there something you can do about it?”

Waitress: *grabs a fry off my plate and examines it* “I’m so sorry, these are inedible. I’ll get another batch for you right away, and I’ll cook them myself.” *as she’s walking away she mumbles to herself* “I thought I heard him say something about ‘not too overdone; oh, well.’ I should have known.”

(In record time the waitress has returned with lovely fries.)

Waitress: “Here you are. Again, sorry about that. We’re a little short today, and the cook is trying to handle too many things at once. But he should know better.”

Me: “No worries, I understand. Mistakes happen. Thank you for fixing the situation.”

Waitress: *goes into the back*

(We eat a while longer, and everything is pleasant until I get to the second half of my sandwich.)

Me: “What the hell? The second half of my sandwich is ham, wrapped in a single slice of pastrami so you can’t see it until you bite into it.”

Wife: “Seriously?”

Me: “Yeah, look…”

Wife: “It’s a good thing you aren’t Jewish, or, you know, allergic to pork like me.”

Me: “I can’t believe they would do that… It still tastes good, so I’m going to eat it anyway, but I think I should talk to the waitress about it.”

Wife: “You should.”

Me: “I think I’ll wait till after we’re done and have paid. I don’t want to give the impression that I am looking for free food.”

(We finish eating, ask the waitress for the check, pay, get the receipt back, and have signed it.)

Me: *to waitress as she is clearing the table* “Can I talk to you about something quickly?”

Waitress: “Yeah, what’s up?”

Me: “I just wanted to give you some words to take back to the cook. If you run out of pastrami, let the customer know, and ask them if they are cool with a ham substitution, or if they’d rather have something else. If you burn the fries, own it and make a new batch before you send them out to—”

Waitress: *cuts me off* “Did your sandwich have ham on it?”

Me: “Yes.”

Waitress: “Hang on one sec. I’m gonna grab the cook.”

(She calls over the cook who has recently re-entered the building.)

Owner/Cook: “Hey, I’m [Cook], the owner of [Cafe]. What can I do for you?”

Me: “Hi, [Cook]. I just wanted to give you a couple pieces of friendly advice. If you run out of pastrami, don’t sub ham without asking. It wasn’t a big deal for me, but my wife is allergic and it could have been a serious situation. If you burn fries, own it, and remake them before the customer sees it. If you get a reputation for trying to slip things in ‘unnoticed’ and only fixing them if someone complains, you will go out of business. In a cafe, your food needs to speak for itself, and if you have to redo things all the time because of simple mistakes like burning the fries, you won’t last long. I’m not after anything; I ran my own business for years, and I just want to see other small business owners do well for themselves. And this wasn’t exactly a gold star for you. However…” *points to waitress* “She was your saving grace. Whatever you are paying her, she deserves a raise because she was on point during our whole visit. If she hadn’t been so polite and helpful, I might have just left and let you stumble along.”

Owner/Cook: *shocked look on his face* “I… I… You’re right. I’m sorry. You nailed it on every point. I ran out of pastrami, and didn’t feel I had time, so I fudged it. I burnt the fries but thought I might be able to get away with it, cause they weren’t black. Thank you for calling me on the carpet. I really appreciate you taking the time to say something polite and that you showed an interest in my business, not just your own lunch. [Waitress], their meal is on me.”

Me: “As I said, I’m not after anything in this situation. We both ate our food, and have already paid.”

Owner: “No, not good enough! [Waitress], go reverse the charge on the card!”

(She walks away.)

Owner: “I already pay her more than any of my other staff because she is the best. But you’re right, she probably deserves more.”

Me: “Well, why don’t we forget the reversal of charges and you can give the whole cost of the meal to her as a tip directly?”

(Before he can answer, the waitress returns with a reversal slip.)

Owner: “Too late. It’s on the house!”

(We chat with him for another ten minutes and enjoy it. As we stand to leave I pull the cost of the meal in cash out of my wallet and leave it under my water glass. As I walk out past the waitress:)

Me: “I left a little something on the table for you.”

Waitress: “Thank you so much for talking to the owner. I’ve never seen him react like that with anyone before. He usually gets upset!”

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Get a load of Captain Fussy over here.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Can you be allergic to pork? I didn't know there were specific meat based allergies.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

bobjr posted:

Can you be allergic to pork? I didn't know there were specific meat based allergies.

sure, exposure to pigs kills black people every day, so it must be genetic, or something? :shrug:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

bobjr posted:

Sure can. It just isn't real common. Intolerance (in that it might give you some digestive troubles later on but isn't like anaphylaxis) is less rare, but still hardly common. I mean, the whole event is still stdh but you can have meat allergies.

In the case of pork allergy the real allergen is usually albumin IIRC. It's also in cat dander so maybe don't eat that either.

Edit: a specific albumin, I forgot there are a bunch

Prism has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Oct 7, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bobjr posted:

After googling it for a few seconds, apparently you can acquire it from a particular tick bite, which is pretty crazy.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PittTheElder posted:

After googling it for a few seconds, apparently you can acquire it from a particular tick bite, which is pretty crazy.

I think that one is meat in general. Maybe not poultry or fish? Mammals, though. I'd check but I'm phone posting now.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

STDH.txt: “I’ll have the [Burger] with fries.”

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bobjr posted:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Prism posted:

Sure can. It just isn't real common. Intolerance (in that it might give you some digestive troubles later on but isn't like anaphylaxis) is less rare, but still hardly common. I mean, the whole event is still stdh but you can have meat allergies.

In the case of pork allergy the real allergen is usually albumin IIRC. It's also in cat dander so maybe don't eat that either.

Edit: a specific albumin, I forgot there are a bunch

As an aside, Maine Coon cats really underproduce the commen allergen that causes human-feline interaction issues, so, yeah, maybe a coon/part-coon is the kitty for you!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Prism posted:

I think that one is meat in general. Maybe not poultry or fish? Mammals, though. I'd check but I'm phone posting now.
It's an allergy to non-primate mammal meat, so you basically just get to eat poultry/fish/seafood. The tick is the lone star tick, but apparently chiggers can also cause it.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Elysiume posted:

It's an allergy to non-primate mammal meat, so you basically just get to eat poultry/fish/seafood.

Plus all the monkey stew you want!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I hate the ones where they really, really go out of the way to make sure we know they never, ever complain and if they do it's not the waitress's fault. We get it, you're a model customer...or at least pretend to be. Don't eat your whole meal and then complain. If something isn't right then let them know as soon as you notice it. Nothing annoys me more than someone I know eating their entire dish and then saying "man, my steak was way undercooked, we should complain". You just ate all the evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I assumed it was a fantasy written by a waitress.